FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 PTR Caster (Warlock specific) Gear Preview

Couple questions if anyone knows the answers to:

1)  What's the status of damage and Demonic Fury gain of Shadow Bolt vs Fel Flame currently?

2) Mastery vs Crit scaling for Soul Fire:  Anyone have hard numbers on how it scales for both stats?

(rant)I honestly hate how it says "Soul Fire always crits".  It's as good as saying that it never crits at all.(/rant)

1) Shadow Bolt generates 25 DF.  Fel Flame generates 0. 

As for damage...

Shadowbolt = 1474 + 138% of SP, 5.5% base mana, 2.5 sec cast

Fel Flame = 910 + 85%  of SP, 3.0% base mana, instant cast

Considering you can get off about two Fel Flames in the time it takes to cast Shadow Bolt, you're looking at the following:

SP = 30,000*

SBolt = 1474 + 1.38 * 30,000 = 42,874

Fel Flame = 910 + 0.85 * 30,000 = 26,410

At 0% Haste, Sbolt = 2.5 seconds and GCD = 1.5 seconds.  Coefficient ratio = 2.5/1.5 = 1.667

Sbolt = 42,874

Fel Flame = 26,410 * 1.667 = 44,016

Sbolt mana cost = 0.055 * 300,000 = 16,500.

Fel Flame mana cost = 0.03 * 300,000 = 9,000

Sbolt mana = 16,500

Fel Flame mana = 9000 * 1.667 = 15,000

Fel Flame costs less mana and does slightly more damage but does not generate Demonic Fury. 

2) Soul Fire always "crits" by way of calculating its damage from its formula.  Mastery scales much better than Crit for the entire spec.  You can't analyze just one spell.  Remember, 600 Crit = 1% Crit, thus 1% damage.  600 Mastery = 1% caster damage, pet damage, and 3% Metamorphosis damage.  Mastery = Crit + some.

Okay.  I cast Fel Flame like... once.  By accident.  That's about the extent of my knowledge on it.  Haha.  Wowhead is saying it generates Demonic Fury in a number that's obviously wrong (http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=77799).  I didn't know if it generated any at all.

Also, I wasn't basing the spec on one spell at all.  Mostly was curiosity based on some of the prior talk in the thread about Crit becoming possibly becoming more important with less stress on haste because of the changes to the RPPM trinkets.  That's all.

1) Shadow Bolt generates 25 DF.  Fel Flame generates 0. 

As for damage...

Pretty sure Fel Flame still generates 15 DF ya crazy.  :D

If it generates 15, and the damage calculations are all correct... that would put Shadow Bolt only cast when it's going to generate an imp.  And KJC becomes absolutely worthless.

They announced in the patch notes a while ago that FF generated 0 DF.  Unless you have a documented change or can prove it with PTR stuff, I'll stick with what I saw.

He asked what Fel Flame provides "currently", I just assumed he meant on live.

He asked what Fel Flame provides "currently", I just assumed he meant on live.

I meant in relation to the thread topic, but I can see how you could have read it that way.  Sorry. mellow.png

BiS lists don't exist because stat weights are unknown.  It's also not done being tweaked.  I have a gear list composed, but not a BiS list.  The trinkets are Bindings + Multistrike.

Do we know yet if we will want the staff from Garrosh over going for a 1h/oh setup with more haste and mastery?

The Garrosh BoA staff?  I wouldn't count on those dropping with high chance.  Even still, MH/OH is usually preferred.  Garrosh staff has Crit, so it's not as valuable, esp on a 2H.

>.> why is blizzard putting crit in most gear choices its very known that crits value demolished vs haste and mastery.

guess they want people to nerd rage :<

hmm interesting twinkets -> spell_shadow_mindflay.jpg Purified Bindings of Immerseus so shexy for affliction

would really want 5.4 Raid - Normal - Siege of Orgrimmar - Boss X Loot X - Int Hit Trinket (5) to use it as demon biggrin.png

You say that, yet we're only forced to take crit on three slots, two of them being tier and one of them being our main hand. Also, pieces with Crit and Mastery are good for Disc Priests who don't need the extra spirit. Mages love crit. SPriests kind of like everything. It's really only us that hate crit, where cloth is concerned.

• Like 1

To be honest I am so confused.

As affli with normal UVLS and Heroic Council Trinket. What trinkets from normals should I try to get from SoO?

You say that, yet we're only forced to take crit on three slots, two of them being tier and one of them being our main hand. Also, pieces with Crit and Mastery are good for Disc Priests who don't need the extra spirit. Mages love crit. SPriests kind of like everything. It's really only us that hate crit, where cloth is concerned.

I understand what your saying it does quite make sense your point of view is a bet general consediring mages just go fire if they get BIS/hc gear (in 13/13hc guilds)  cause i have never seen a firemage competing with a frost mage with the same ilvl

To be honest I am so confused.

As affli with normal UVLS and Heroic Council Trinket. What trinkets from normals should I try to get from SoO?

All of them ASAP, namely Bindings from Immerseus and Black Blood from Garrosh (1st and 14th bosses).  Bindings is an absolute must.  Multistrike/Cleave trinket have their niches, but Black Blood will be a solid all around choice.

At some point the socket bonus on Signet of the Dinomancers was hotfixed from Spirit to Haste. It's no longer a healer ring we're stealing, though only healers can bonus roll it. 

Yeah it needs modified so that we can coin it.  Haste/Mastery ring with Haste socket bonus should be a DPS ring as well.  It definitely makes it a part of the BiS list.

Does anyone know the value of the 4pc for us yet? Since it changes the playstyle for demo a bit (probably) I couldn't figure out a way to sim it yet since I'm not good enough with simcraft to create new rulesets myself. Mostly wondering about 4set vs. warforged items. Helm and gloves I'd assume are a given.