FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Arkito

¿Any good reason to pick feral?

Hello there :)

I have been wondering this week about my DPS, wich I found frustrating (350k for an 884 geared feral with wrong trinkets and legendaries). I've been swaping between tank and heal for a while, and now I am the main tank in my guild, so I'm investing more AP there (weapon still at lvl 38, not great). As for a tank, I am more than enough for my guild, which is still struggling to beat normal NH, mostly because the lack of DPS, so I just started to think about trying to DPS with my druid, just in case.

It turns out I can reach way more DPS with any of my alters with lower gear and more easily, but I'm still trying to deal with my druid DPS: I started as a feral, but then I saw that my AoE was pretty poor in unitarget build (which makes sense), and also happened the oposite: my unitarget DPS sucked while builded for AoE, which wasnt much of a big problem with my pally or shammy, even with wrong stats or unoptimized builds.

Now, I am trying to gear the moonkin and I am still learning how to use it properly, which will take some time I guess. Still, it seems liek moonkin doesn't have those unitarget OR multitarget problem, and also it is a ranged DPS, which is always an advantage. The only flaw I see in moonking is the movement, which lacks when you compare it to feral... so yep, the question here is, Does exist any good reason to play feral instead of moonkin?

TD;DR: I want to know if there is something that justifies playing feral over moonkin beside your personal likes.

Any help or avice is welcomed. Also, I didnt post any log or character because I'm not dealing with "real" issues in raid (I have been tanking wor a while, and just trying to DPS in m+ or even quests, nothing serious at all). I am rather for just general advices :)

Thanks in regard.

This is just my opinion:

Feral has an interesting, non trivial gameplay. It requires a perfect rotation and mistakes are punishing. In short words, it's a difficult spec. And as you may expect, your dps is lower not because the spec is not capable, it is actually, it's just difficult.

People like to think they can manage, most of them, including me, actually don't.

On the other hand, the boomkin spec can deliver awesome dps during single and multitarget fights. It is range, has support capabilities (innervate). The spec is not trivial but is simple enough so most of the players can actually enjoy the fight and the strategy without sacrificing their DPS.

To sum up my answer: unless you like the feral spec, there's no compelling reason to use this one over the others.

PS : the gardian spec is awesome, I'm a healer, it is by far the best tank imo (and it's easy to play :o) )

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bobifle said:

This is just my opinion:

Feral has an interesting, non trivial gameplay. It requires a perfect rotation and mistakes are punishing. In short words, it's a difficult spec. And as you may expect, your dps is lower not because the spec is not capable, it is actually, it's just difficult.

People like to think they can manage, most of them, including me, actually don't.

On the other hand, the boomkin spec can deliver awesome dps during single and multitarget fights. It is range, has support capabilities (innervate). The spec is not trivial but is simple enough so most of the players can actually enjoy the fight and the strategy without sacrificing their DPS.

To sum up my answer: unless you like the feral spec, there's no compelling reason to use this one over the others.

PS : the gardian spec is awesome, I'm a healer, it is by far the best tank imo (and it's easy to play :o) )

Thanks, I was thinking the same at this point... and yeah, I agree that feral is no doubt harder than many other classes and WAY more punishing.

I guess I''ll just try to lvl up the chicken weapon while still trying to enhance my feral skills... who know, maybe in the future we could see a rewarding feral spec. I keep my faith up :)

bob covered things really well however, one aspect of feral that i love that may seem trivial is the kitty mode itself. In legion with the artifact weapon you get a lot of different forms to go after. I find some of the new feral models to be more visually impressive than entire gear sets or weapons. Specifically I like the first hidden appearance which is basically a fusion of boomy mode and kitty mode (boom kitty mode). It may seem odd to play a spec because it looks cool but well it looks really cool :D

In addition while the feral rotation is one of the more difficult ones its also in ways one of the more lax ones in that there is a lot of downtime in the rotation. So playing unholy or elemental i'm always smashing some button frantically and you are in such a hurry to burn resources, where feral is a more relaxed spec. Once you get your bleeds and buffs up you just kinda chill for awhile. Sim craft denotes around 40-45% of your time is just pooling energy. So, its a very relaxing spec to play imo specifically for raiding. 

If you're after pure pve combat related reasons to go feral over boomkin, or any other spec for that matter is the following:

1. None.

The spec is harder then most others while not really paying off for the extra trouble. They dont have immunities for soaking, no defensive raid cooldowns or any other relevant utility for that matter.  Their "single target, stick to the boss the entire fight" dps is very good, but sadly this is hardly ever THAT relevant, especially in more casual groups where people tunnel the boss too much anyway.
So unless you have some ulterior motive (like: the damn cats are fucking awesome, which i completely agree with) there is no reason to pick a feral.