FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vlad

Silence (Purify) Priest Deck List

I don't know how much playtesting y'all did with this before publishing it, but my initial observation is this: It doesn't have enough creatures and/or enough removal to deal with even a mid-range deck, much less anything full aggro.

Singular giant monsters fall too easily to in-game tricks - Just off the top of my head, Druid has Naturalize to kill and Keeper of the Grove to neutralize; Hunter has Deadly Shot and Freezing Trap to do the same; Mage has a dozen different freeze effects plus Shatter, or Vaporize and Polymorph; Paladin has Aldor Peacekeeper plus hordes of 1/1s or Consecration; Priests of course have a pile of Silence effects and the Power Word cards; Rogues have Assassinate and Sap, along with various poison effects now; Shamans have Earth Shock and Hex (or even Devolve, if they're trying to be funny); Warlocks have multiple Corruption effects and kill effects like Blastcrystal Potion and Siphon Soul; Warriors have the long running "Thousand different ways to ping your guy then Execute" game.

That's not even thinking of whatever tricks you can combine within just the Neutral monster pool.  I tried a similar build to this when UG came out and couldn't make it work, either... it remains a pure RNG deck, sadly.  Hilariously, however... had a run with both Clerics on the board, along with 5 other monsters (full board), all but 1 injured... and my silly <boop> tossed CoH.  Nearly decked myself and burned 4 cards (had 2 in hand at the time)... but definitely had everything I needed to win in hand at that point!

2 hours ago, Sableflame said:

I don't know how much playtesting y'all did with this before publishing it, but my initial observation is this: It doesn't have enough creatures and/or enough removal to deal with even a mid-range deck, much less anything full aggro.

Using Sunfury Protector to taunt up Hugh-Mungus Razorleaf or Ancient Watcher will complete wreck aggro decks, as there aren't many of them that run transform effects (Hex). If they silence Humongous Razorleaf or Ancient Watcher, you lose a taunt, but gain the ability to trade more effectively, which is nice.

Singular giant monsters fall too easily to in-game tricks - Just off the top of my head, Druid has Naturalize to kill and Keeper of the Grove to neutralize;

Naturalize actually gives you advantage. Drawing more cards is great for a combo deck.
Keeper of the Grove causes a significant loss of tempo for the druid, which you should capitalize on.

Hunter has Deadly Shot and Freezing Trap to do the same;

These cards can be easily played around.

Mage has a dozen different freeze effects plus Shatter

This card is mostly a dead card in mage's hand, so make sure to push harder if they do run Shatter (they don't).

or Vaporize

Same as Freezing Trap - can be easily played around.

Paladin has Aldor Peacekeeper

Which doesn't prevent you from reaching Inner Fire OTK. Aldor Peacekeeper simply forces you to kill the opponent with the OTK combo, which is not really an issue.

Doesn't really hurt you. This deck does not even run any card with 2 or less HP. Additionally, it gives you an easy draw if you have Circle of Healing in your hand, and Northshire Cleric on the board or in your hand.

Priests of course have a pile of Silence effects

If they silence Humongous Razorleaf or Ancient Watcher, you gain the ability to trade.

and the Power Word cards

Power Word: Tentacles or Power Word: Shield do not hurt you. If you meant Shadow Word cards, you have minions that evade them perfectly. 

Warlocks have multiple Corruption effects

Which still gives a turn to kill your opponent or to push a lot of damage.

Yes, I meant the Shadow Word cards... and I guess we've had this discussion before... but you can make an excuse for every deck how it "might" work - but this deck, as written, got pummeled by every single thing I tossed it against (and I wasn't even playing Ranked, it was getting stomped in casual) unless I got absolutely perfect draws, in order, creature, silence, taunt.  If you don't get them, or don't get them in that order, you get rolled.  There's simply not enough active threats in the deck to make it work right now.

I know... this is the part where you say I'm a shit player and can't play the deck... go ahead.  I listed a dozen different ways the deck gets owned, just off the top of my head, and y'all made an excuse around each one.  I try to offer helpful commentary based on real world play by "normal" players (i.e., the guys who don't dedicate their whole life to this game).

1 hour ago, Sableflame said:

I know... this is the part where you say I'm a shit player and can't play the deck... go ahead. 

This is the part where I ask you for the replays to identify the root of the issues you have with this deck. Should the issue be on our side, we will attempt to rectify it.

I listed a dozen different ways the deck gets owned, just off the top of my head, and y'all made an excuse around each one.

I probably wouldn't call counterpoint "an excuse". You could make counter-counterpoints to my counterpoints and so on.

I try to offer helpful commentary based on real world play by "normal" players

And I read it, and decided I disagree with the majority of your points, which is why I made counterpoints, which can, as stated above, be refuted. It's something that I would call a healthy argument. If you feel patronized, my apologies.
The Execute and transform effects are indeed an issue, and the deck should not be played in a meta full of warriors and Hex-running shamans, possibly even Kazakuslocks, though those are pretty much nonexistent.

17 hours ago, positiv2 said:

This is the part where I ask you for the replays to identify the root of the issues you have with this deck. Should the issue be on our side, we will attempt to rectify it.

https://youtu.be/ZTjRkHdUvSM

https://youtu.be/729tP7s7RIQ

https://youtu.be/C51Qc6LLSnQ

2 horrific, brutal losses and one win... that worked exactly like I said - you get the cards, in the right order, you stand a chance.  You don't, you get steamrolled hard.

It's hard to gauge "did you make the right play" in a hand with all spells and nothing to cast them on... which was the very first thing I said about the deck - it simply doesn't have enough hard answers to enemy threats.  All the buffs in the world don't matter if you're trying to buff the dust of the arena floor the enemy is pounding you into.

For what it's worth, I do see where I made a glaring error against the Paladin deck, not using Defender of Argus when I should have.  Given how it played out, however, it wasn't going to make a measureable difference.

Edited by Sableflame

Keep in mind that I write turn by turn, so some notes might not matter in the given context, and can work as "if your opponent had played..." (or similar).
Replay #1 - Mulligan phase is also important. Without seeing it, I cannot help you as much.
Turn 4 - you should have applied Power Word: Shield onto Ancient Watcher to keep it out of Wrath + hero power and out of Swipe's range. Additionally, you want to apply Kabal Songstealer, which means you will be losing 2 health, unless a situation where Faceless Shambler play is better arises.
Turn 5 - turns out I was right about the Swipe. Also the situation did not arise. Healing the Humongous Razorleaf was a misplay, as you want to get the damage going, since druid will be unable to deal with it. Applying Divine Spirit was unnecessary, as you did not have Inner Fire in the hand.
Turn 7 - I probably wouldn't have play Kabal Songstealer there, as you could have dealt with the taunt somewhat easily.
Trun 8 - It seems not playing Kabal Songstealer was the better play. Also, your order of play was bad. Besides, you missed lethal, though it does not seem it mattered.

Replay #2 - Warrior is indeed a bad matchup. I expect the amount of misplays to be lower, especially given that the replay length is shorter.
Turn 2 - you had no way to gain value from Circle of Healing, which made it the worst pick.
Turn 3 - I would have cycled, both to enable lucky double Ancient Watcher taunt, and to get the Ancient Watcher out of Slam + trade range (with the latter being much more significant). Additionally, your hand wasn't exactly great either, so that would help as well.
Turn 4 - seems like cycling with Power Word: Shield would have prevented the warrior to one-hit the Ancient Watcher with Shield Slam, requiring the warrior to finish his Fiery War Axe as well, punishing him for his swing to face at T2. I believe this misplay was quite significant, both for letting the warrior keep his Fiery War Axe, and not to have drawn a card with a suboptimal hand.
Turn 6 - seems like you got punished for letting the warrior keep the Fiery War Axe indeed. Also, i don't see a reason not to hit face with the Sunfury Protector. I wouldn't rule out trading into the Bloodhoof Brave and playing Circle of Healing either, as you had another Circle of Healing in your hand.
Conceding was unnecessary, as you still had Auchenai Soulpriest in the deck, allowing you easy clear with Circle of Healing.

Replay #3 - Most ladder paladins are aggro. Could be alright, as they don't have enough burn cards. If it is control, or if it has Equality teched in, it could be an issue. However, since it is casual, I believe it is a quest paladin of some sort.
Turn 4 - Inner Fire was unnecessary. it did not allow you to push damage, and in fact gave your opponent a turn to react, allowing them to play Aldor Peacekeeper or Humility, possibly, though unlikely, even Big Game Hunter.
Turn 5 - using Power Word: Shield on the bigger Humongous Razorleaf, then coining out the Kabal Songstealer would have left you with a good board.
Turn 6 - Looks like my play on turn 5 would have countered The Black Knight, though I don't know what his play would have been if you had played T5 like I would have done. I would have played Kabal Songstealer to give you a better board, and then played Circle of Healing to heal Humongous Razorleaf and doubletraded to disallow any buffs on the Black Knight. This would also allow you to play a good Defender of Argus. It wasn't necessary to trade with the Sunfury Protector now, as paladins don't have burn, and you would still be able to trade on the following turn.

I think you get the idea (it's possible I missed a few due to how I check replays). Your losses certainly aren't purely the deck's fault.

4 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Replay #1 - Mulligan phase is also important. Without seeing it, I cannot help you as much.

I think you get the idea (it's possible I missed a few due to how I check replays). Your losses certainly aren't purely the deck's fault.

The first replay was actually the third game, and I was predictably a little irritable at that point and didn't hit the record button when I started the game.

As it turned out, the mulligan wasn't terribly important, as I rolled that fight with relative ease.  Not saying one can't learn from winning as well, but it was a fairly clean game.

The Paladin game was just a pile of nonsense... who the heck even PLAYS The Black Knight anymore???  I suppose with the current meta swinging around to a lot of seriously playable Taunts, it makes sense... but I can't recall the last time I saw that card in any serious match.

I considered the PW:S issue vs. the Warrior, but was taking the write-up of how to play the deck to heart - buffing it before silencing it means I lose the buff when I make it offensive.  Yes, Armor + Slam IS a possibility to consider versus Warrior, but enough to cycle the shield?  I get a card draw out of it - but he gets to not burn the coin to make that move the following turn and maintains that mana/card advantage.

Given how poor the draw in that game was, this is where I'm left with the common board complaint - yes, you can critique what happened in that game, but when you look at the entirety of that game - not simply a turn by turn look in a bubble - you can see the fight was doomed from the outset.  If you repeat that exercise over a large enough pool of games (yes, only 3 are documented here - I played many more before I bothered to start saving some) it doesn't matter how good or bad you play the deck - if the cards aren't consistently there (or as consistently as one can manage in the RNG-heavy atmosphere of HS), then it isn't a good deck.

... to end this whole thing, I've honestly never been that fond of Priest to begin with - I'm doing well with the Warrior Taunt Quest deck - I simply hoped that this would be something I would enjoy in Priest for once, since as I said, I toyed with a similar idea when UG kicked off.  I still believe it, ultimately, to be a niche/quirk deck that won't make it consistently in serious match-ups.

Thanks, as always, for the feedback.

Trust Sableflame its nearly impossible to win against any good deck. All decks have enough removal for your threats and you dont have enough for their threats.... (most Decks that normally offer few removal spells have still mutation / poisen) and will stomp you into the ground.

Edited by Besto

20 minutes ago, Besto said:

Trust Sableflame its nearly impossible to win against any good deck. All decks have enough removal for your threats and you dont have enough for their threats.... (most Decks that normally offer few removal spells have still mutation / poisen) and will stomp you into the ground.

And I again request a few replays. I showed last time you cannot blame the deck for your own mistakes. You most likely make misplays as well, which is understandable with a deck that seems straightforward but is not. Also, I recommend actually reading the guide, as you can find answers to the issues you face, specifically in section 4.

I've actually been messing around with a different version of this the last few days, only with Defender of Argus also.  Bumping the Ancient Watcher and Razorleaf up to 5 attack gives a much better defense against those Rogue 5/5 quest minions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guest Sydel said:

Why no Barnes?

I assume because the chance of pulling a 1/1 copy of a big minion to silence is rather low and there are no deathrattle minions in the deck, making Barnes very hit-and-miss. This being said, it should be okay to swap him in.

Another card that might be good as base to silence and buff is Bittertide Hydra.

Guest Dyon

hey ,

Which card can i change for Purify ? Cause i cant craft ir , need to buy adventure , i dont want to buy it or play it ye.

Please help.

Thanks.

Dyon

4 hours ago, Guest Dyon said:

hey ,

Which card can i change for Purify ? Cause i cant craft ir , need to buy adventure , i dont want to buy it or play it ye.

Please help.

Thanks.

Dyon

Purify is one of the core cards in the deck, and you should try to get it as soon as possible. Karazhan as whole is a good investment, and you should definitely try to get the wing containing Purify. Until then, you can play Ironbeak Owls, but the deck will be much weaker.

Playing this deck I just accidentally discovered that silence also removes freezing. Don't know why that never occurred to me before, other than that most of the time I'm not thinking of silencing my own minions. Of course, I also discovered that silence does NOT remove the crystallized 5/5 effect from quest rogue. Oh well.

Guest CrazyCory564

Dumb Questions.  Let's say I were replacing 2xCircle of Healing with different cards. does that make it viable to replace 2xAuchenai Soulpriest as well?  I was thinking with either Shadowform and Mass Dispel, two minions (maybe with taunt or some other ability), or a combination of those?  (one of the spells + one of the minions?)

Also, would adding Prince Malchezaar completely throw this deck off regarding the chances of drawing and such?

14 minutes ago, Guest CrazyCory564 said:

Dumb Questions.  Let's say I were replacing 2xCircle of Healing with different cards. does that make it viable to replace 2xAuchenai Soulpriest as well?  I was thinking with either Shadowform and Mass Dispel, two minions (maybe with taunt or some other ability), or a combination of those?  (one of the spells + one of the minions?)

Also, would adding Prince Malchezaar completely throw this deck off regarding the chances of drawing and such?

Yes, if you are going to remove Circle of Healing, remove Auchenai Soulpriest as well. 

Shadowform is a weak card in this deck, as you need to heal yourself, your minions, and losing this option is dangerous. As for Mass Dispel, it's an okay way to draw cards, but there aren't that many targets for it, significantly lowering its usefulness.

I would suggest adding Shadow Word: Deaths, second Kabal Songstealer and one Defender of Argus.

Yes, Prince Malchezaar is a detrimental card to this deck. Prince Malchezaar lowers the probability of drawing your combo and synergy cards, and without those, you will have significantly lower chance of winning, as you do not have enough proactive threats. Additionally, legendaries from Prince Malchezaar are usually bad, making some of your draws dead.

Guest CrazyCory564

I thought adding a second Kabal Songstealer could stuff up the deck with too much silence according to the deck page?  Mass Dispel is simply another card to draw for synergy; silence is just a bonus.

Defender of Argus I'm fine with, as well as shadow word: death; i'm just worried about what it said about 2x kabal with all my silence spells as well

21 minutes ago, Guest CrazyCory564 said:

Mass Dispel is simply another card to draw for synergy; silence is just a bonus.

4 cards to cycle is simply too expensive. 

22 minutes ago, Guest CrazyCory564 said:

i'm just worried about what it said about 2x kabal with all my silence spells as well

I think of it as a 5/5 with a theoretical bonus. Even if you do not get any silence value out of it, it can be played as a 5/5. You can play a Holy Nova if you want, though.

Guest Miszel

Tried to play this deck in standard mode but game does not allow so. Went in the deck creator card after card and each fit the 'Standard' requirements. Does anyone know why this happens, which cards are 'Wild'?

51 minutes ago, Guest Miszel said:

Tried to play this deck in standard mode but game does not allow so. Went in the deck creator card after card and each fit the 'Standard' requirements. Does anyone know why this happens, which cards are 'Wild'?

1) Open the deck in your collection
2) If you are using PC, hover over the box with deck's name and click Convert to Standard. If you are using a mobile device, tap the box instead of hovering.
3) Replace wild cards, if there are any. The deck should be usable in standard play mode. If not, let me know.

Guest Miszel

That worked - though it did not replace any card. Don't understand it but thank you.

Guest Juan XVI

Hello guys, I'm wondering if I can trust this Pesty dude, it says it's a she, but on twitter it has a picture of a man? Explanation please? :)

2 hours ago, Guest Juan XVI said:

Hello guys, I'm wondering if I can trust this Pesty dude, it says it's a she, but on twitter it has a picture of a man? Explanation please? :)

Pesty is a he and is a very skilled player. Not sure why his gender is of any relevance to anything. 

• Like 1