FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Cyrodyna

Need help. DPS is off.

So I've played WoW since start of legion and my dps feels so off. I'm doing about 350-500k a raid, but I see another bm hunter who does about 750k. I've used the rotation that icy-veins has suggested, but i'm still not doing well. I want to do a lot better. What can I do? 

Gear: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/wyrmrest-accord/cyrodyna

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6Yn7LRTG19y8da4t/#boss=-2&difficulty=0&source=14&type=damage-done

I compared your Heroic Trilliax to mine and here is what all I've noticed. For starters your neck and ring are not enchanted; everything helps. You also only have 1 legendary so there is a huge chuck there. You also don't have the recommended spec. You should be running way of the cobra and bestial fury.  Looking at the logs, I am not sure what you use but I would recommend setting up some weakauras or tellmewhen to prioritize your spells better. you only had 19 kill commands to my 83. This accounts for a sizable amount of damage. Overall it is the difference between 18.37MM for the fight vs what could be 104.47MM damage. Another one of our bread and butters is Dire Frenzy and again you only had 18 compared to my 40 resulting in half the damage. The last 2 of our high priority spells are Titan's Thunder and AMoC. The same situation here, you just aren't getting enough of them in. I'm not really sure what you are doing in the down time as you don't have something else at a higher use than what I would expect but I do notice that you auto shot is even low. This to me means you are either clicking something not attackable when moving and stopping your attacks by accident or are hitting esc a lot and canceling your attack. Macro in some auto attack to all your spells if you want. Moving over to your buffs. While you did flask, you don't have a rune or well fed on. These help, especially if you can get the 500 stat food. You also don't use potions. you should be using one pre-pull and during hero every fight. Your bestial wrath uptime again is very low, half of what it should be.

There are a few things you can do to passively increase your damage that don't require much, change spec, use runes, pots, and food, get your gear enchanted. Nothing you can really do about lacking a legendary, but keep grinding away until it drops. Your biggest downfall and what will take the most work to fix is how you are playing. Other than setting an addon up to scream and blink at you for what button to push I would suggest thoroughly learning the rotation. Maybe get on a target dummy and beat on it ONLY using your top 2 spells, once you have them down and are always using them ASAP in priority order, add in a 3rd spell, repeat until your spells are all on CD all the time.

7 hours ago, Cyrodyna said:

So I've played WoW since start of legion and my dps feels so off. I'm doing about 350-500k a raid, but I see another bm hunter who does about 750k. I've used the rotation that icy-veins has suggested, but i'm still not doing well. I want to do a lot better. What can I do? 

Gear: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/wyrmrest-accord/cyrodyna

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6Yn7LRTG19y8da4t/#boss=-2&difficulty=0&source=14&type=damage-done

Can't really say much about the gear.  Mantle, Boots, 4pc, Converge of Fate, ilvl 897.  You're missing some enchants, and normal raid accessories (food, potions, runes..)

Read the BM Icy-veins talents and rotation.  Practice it.  Practice it some more.   Get some weak auras or a weak aura collection (https://wago.io/weakauras/classes/hunter/beast-mastery) and try some out to see what they do.  I've tried the TMW but I find it pretty primitive.  I use Ovale/LunaEclipse BM rotation helper (from curse) with some custom changes I made to fix some interaction with Titans Thunder/DireBeast/DireFrenzy, along with one of the WA (Khakhan's vertical panels is what I use, though hasn't been updated in 45 days or so)

Get simulation craft and sim your character.  You can use direct import from wowarmory, or use an addon (check curse for options) to make it easy to import.  I know how depressing it is to see my sim at 850k and only pull 600k ST.  Practice.  

Looking at the logs, you're just missing a lot of shots.  Have you looked at www.checkmywow.com with your logs?  

How are you with moving and shooting?

Don't have much to add here from what these guys have said. You seem to need some practice on the core rotation of the spec. From logs i can see that u are missing out on very basic things such as casting DF and KC on cd and having way too much downtime overall. 

You also need to practice your cooldown usage and timings. From what i see you are not casting amoc on cd and you are casting some cd's( like Titans Thunder) outside of BW.  Make sure you read up on all of the abilities in the guide and practice the rotation.

On the gear side of things you have way too low haste and way too much versatility. Get rid of the neck, pvp ring and bracers and replace them with mastery/haste ones. Also make sure to enchant and put sockets in your gear.

Best of luck :)

• Like 1

I don't have much to add to what has been said. However, Trilliax is a bad fight to use as a standard. He might have spent a lot of time out of range of the boss dealing with the robots and the cake. Which might not be the worst thing to do if your dps is low. Let the higher dps do damage while you deal with all the boss mechanics. Now to be fair, you don't need to be in range of the boss to cast Kill Command or Dire Frenzy, but my point is that it's a fight where mechanics can actually fuck over dps a lot if you lack practice. For a BM Hunter Star Augur is probably the best boss to check single target rotation, since none of the mechanics will make you stop attacking.

The comments before still apply though. Your Star Augur kill lasted 6:11 and you only used Kill Command 71 times. My Star Augur kill ran for 4:46 and I used Kill Command 85 times. You need to improve your rotation a lot and change that versatility for haste.

2 hours ago, Eyeroll said:

How are you with moving and shooting?

So here is where things get tricky. I am a single handed gamer but I recently got a footboard to help with movement and stuff. It could be that and I'm one of the designated mechanics guys.

9 minutes ago, Cyrodyna said:

So here is where things get tricky. I am a single handed gamer but I recently got a footboard to help with movement and stuff. It could be that and I'm one of the designated mechanics guys.

Ah. I can see how the logistics of that could be difficult.  I was a long time PVE single player arrow-key button smasher, so I had to learn how to mouse move, but haven't quite mastered all of the 12 button mouse and moving at the same time.  

How do you currently play?  Do you use something like a Razer Naga 12 button mouse,  one of the modified keyboards that allow one-handed access, or do it some other way?

20 minutes ago, Cyrodyna said:

which hand can you use and how limited is the mobility in the other? im trying to think of some way to work around your situation. i cant imagine how hard it is to play single handedly

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Khallid said:

I don't have much to add to what has been said. However, Trilliax is a bad fight to use as a standard. He might have spent a lot of time out of range of the boss dealing with the robots and the cake. Which might not be the worst thing to do if your dps is low. Let the higher dps do damage while you deal with all the boss mechanics. Now to be fair, you don't need to be in range of the boss to cast Kill Command or Dire Frenzy, but my point is that it's a fight where mechanics can actually fuck over dps a lot if you lack practice. For a BM Hunter Star Augur is probably the best boss to check single target rotation, since none of the mechanics will make you stop attacking.

Sadly, low DPS can't volunteer for sterilize.   I had someone ask if I didn't know the fight when they checked my logs for Trilliax.   I was off with sterilize and feast, chasing robots and cake, and was having a hard time swapping between the scrubber and the boss, so apparently I didn't dps much for like 20-30 seconds...   But my guild had said do mechanics, this is not a DPS race.  So I concentrated on scrubbers.  Pisses me off though, when pugs with sterilize just sit there and DPS the boss or heal, and don't do mechanics.  I can tell the ones who are standing in the middle on pull either don't know or don't care, and are likely to not do sterilize mechanics...

I am currently using a 12 button left hand naga. I have the W, E. Q, and S bound to the board for movement. Its a bit of a pain to get used to, but we downed heroic Gul'dan, but I'm sad to say that is as far as I will be able to progress due to the limitations.

34 minutes ago, Cyrodyna said:

Well, can't really blame you for low dps then. Even BM's easy rotation is probably quite difficult with only one hand as soon as you add any kind of movement. However, if this is the main reason of the low dps, there's nothing we can do to help you.

10 minutes ago, Eyeroll said:

Sadly, low DPS can't volunteer for sterilize.   I had someone ask if I didn't know the fight when they checked my logs for Trilliax.   I was off with sterilize and feast, chasing robots and cake, and was having a hard time swapping between the scrubber and the boss, so apparently I didn't dps much for like 20-30 seconds...   But my guild had said do mechanics, this is not a DPS race.  So I concentrated on scrubbers.  Pisses me off though, when pugs with sterilize just sit there and DPS the boss or heal, and don't do mechanics.  I can tell the ones who are standing in the middle on pull either don't know or don't care, and are likely to not do sterilize mechanics...

Even if you don't get sterilize, being close to the robots is very useful to click them when they're about to explode. I've been a bit frustrated about it in mythic because just one of those explosions can wipe the raid, so lowering my dps to hang out closer to robots (while out of range of the boss) seemed to work the best. We kill the boss, but I end up losing about 100k dps for doing that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyrodyna said:

I recently got a footboard to help with movement and stuff.

I got a four key foot pedal to have movement on and the razer naga to bind my abilities to. I'm trying to overcome my current situation. I'm not about to just give up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cyrodyna said:

I got a four key foot pedal to have movement on and the razer naga to bind my abilities to. I'm trying to overcome my current situation. I'm not about to just give up.

since you should never backstep with S might i suggest binding that pedal to shift, alt, or control to turn your naga 12 into a naga 24?

ok....1 hand....lets see....

make one macro that cast: bestial wrath, aspect of the wild, titans thunder and crows. 

^ if titans thunder and crows are both off -cd then you will have to hit button more then once. 

button 1 kill command

button 2 dire frenzy

button 3 cobra shot

button 4 multi shit

button 5 macro

^ set it up with your mouse that his fills comfortable, you will hit 5,5,2,2,3,1,3,1,3,1,3,1,3,1.....wait..few 3's and 2's...then 5 again followed by 3,1,3,1,3,1,3,1

^ 5 buttons only

Then once you get that feeling good. Add the OH SHIT buttons

button 6 disengage, button 7 turtle. 

Now set your mouse up think you are going to spam buttons 1,2,3 alot ...sometimes 4 instead of 3 for cleave and 5 once every now and then. 

To move? Hold down left and right on yar mouse and play like a pro. 

warning: do this for long periods of time yar going to get cramps, carpal tunnel or something. 

fart around with different mouses...you dont need 20 billion buttons to play BM. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sisco said:

since you should never backstep with S might i suggest binding that pedal to shift, alt, or control to turn your naga 12 into a naga 24?

your smoking something...24 buttons for BM? for BM? 

it is a good idea thou to adjust by post above by a a few buttons. Your "oh shit buttons" can be 1 or 2 with foot peddle pressed. 

The key is to do the set up and build muscle memory. 

• Like 1

also....i will add....19 kill command on a 5 min 34 sec fight is beyond horrible. Spamming it on CD without killer cobra will give you 44...killer cobra will almost double that. 

The key is to figure out how to improve the rotation with your limitation.  

shit if you have peddles...peddle 1 kill command , peddle 2 cobra shot...

mouse for movement/macro (see above post) and dire beast. You can then STOMP your way to the top of the meters. 

(get it stomp! bm stomping! bwahahahahahah) 

There are many possibilities and you are playing a spec that you can still do quite well with 1 hand. Will need practice but doable....

This isn't an assumption either...i have raided with 1 hand when my kids were smaller and still top meters...and currently ..well i drink a lot of beer playing wow and me mug is always in me hand...i go threw a lot of keyboards because of spillage. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Its those dam AOE fights that are hard to do with one hand....

Edited by Banard

1 hour ago, Cyrodyna said:

I am currently using a 12 button left hand naga. I have the W, E. Q, and S bound to the board for movement. Its a bit of a pain to get used to, but we downed heroic Gul'dan, but I'm sad to say that is as far as I will be able to progress due to the limitations.

Currently, as your DPS stands, probably.  But I think Banard's suggestions are quite valid.  Moving with mouse would open up more possibilities, but that will take some time getting used to, and you definitely need to work the BM rotation.

I've seen 6 M NH bosses, and can't see anything that would prevent you mechanics-wise from being there.  If you were able to in H NH, manage fel flame on Augar, do Burning Pitch on Krosus, deal with plague and pillars on Tich and do circles on Elisande, and bonds on Gul'dan, then it's not mechanics that's keeping you from progressing further.

But M NH is a DPS check.  The good news is that the first 3 are pretty easy and have good gear you can use (Skorp - 2 relics, chest [bis], Chrono - Gloves, relic, Trilliax - Tier cloak).  Course, I've run those a total of 10 kills on those 3, and only gotten the same Skorp relic 3x and Chrono gloves.  Every one of those was guild drops + bonus rolls.  

Edited by Eyeroll

11 minutes ago, Banard said:

mouse for movement/macro (see above post) and dire beast. You can then STOMP your way to the top of the meters.

I will try the macro setting next week. I've alreadly acclimated to movement on my board. I'd rather keep it that way until the charts show otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Cyrodyna said:

I will try the macro setting next week. I've alreadly acclimated to movement on my board. I'd rather keep it that way until the charts show otherwise.

I'm likely to try the macro as well.  

Hmmmmmm well technically you don't even need a button for every skill. That might be overcomplicating things. I have all my cooldowns on a secondary bar, so I activate them by just clicking on the icon with the mouse. This includes Bestial Wrath, Aspect of the Wild, Titan's Thunder, Murder of Crows, Exhilarate, Aspect of the Turtle and Aspect of the Cheetah . The only buttons I use rotationally with my keyboard hand are Kill Command, Dire Frenzy and Cobra Strike (also movement things like Disengage, regular movement WSADQE, space bar to jump, and I use F as pet follow). 

You could in theory do your entire rotation by mouse-clicking the skill icons in the bar, you would only need to find a way to move properly without too much mouse movement if you do that and it will draw your attention to the bar, so it's easier to miss boss mechanics. But it's super simple button-wise, since you can activate all your skills with just the left mouse button.

You don't need to click like a madman either, because of GCDs.

Edited by Khallid

2 hours ago, Banard said:

your smoking something...24 buttons for BM? for BM? 

it is a good idea thou to adjust by post above by a a few buttons. Your "oh shit buttons" can be 1 or 2 with foot peddle pressed. 

The key is to do the set up and build muscle memory. 

Sorry for offering advice that he may not have thought of. 

22 hours ago, Cyrodyna said:

@Cyrodyna,

Something I'd like to suggest that you might find interesting and helpful based on the situation you describe.  You might be interested in the site wowlazymacros, BM hunter forum, specifically  macro created by Gween.  This site was created by someone who had limited mobility issues and you might be surprised by some of the results that these macros are able to obtain.  Granted they will never be as good as the perfect rotation done flawlessly by the expert player; but I can assure you that for what they are, they are capable of some pretty strong results.  The gear and consumable suggestions above are also spot on, but you may find some assistance in my suggestion as well.  Feel free to PM in game if you'd like, I am on Zul'Jin toon name Kuddzuu if you have questions.  Again everything else said above is very valuable and will significantly improve dps as well.  I realize that the mods may or may not approve of my advice, but it is given with the very best of intentions.

PS. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4wbdpyqVmr2nzHPT  link to my guilds logs from HNH just the other night, you can look at my results.  I personally use what I have suggested.  Again, this will never be as good as the expert game flawlessly executing the perfect rotation; but I don't think they are horrible results either.  

Edited by Kuddzuu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuddzuu said:

@Cyrodyna,

Something I'd like to suggest that you might find interesting and helpful based on the situation you describe.  You might be interested in the site wowlazymacros, BM hunter forum, specifically  macro created by Gween.  This site was created by someone who had limited mobility issues and you might be surprised by some of the results that these macros are able to obtain.  Granted they will never be as good as the perfect rotation done flawlessly by the expert player; but I can assure you that for what they are, they are capable of some pretty strong results.  

I will be loading GSW addon and getting this macro.

22 minutes ago, Eyeroll said:

I will be loading GSW addon and getting this macro.

Hope you find it useful and helpful. I have fpund it to ne pretty nice. It also helps in the sense that it gives me some freedom to worry mpre about gpod mechanics bit still be of value to my raid team.  Yes, there are limitations to what can ne done, but this has helped me find a workable balance between the two.  Please feel free to reach out in game pr here if you have questions.  Kuddzuu on zul jin

2 hours ago, Kuddzuu said:

@Cyrodyna,

Something I'd like to suggest that you might find interesting and helpful based on the situation you describe.  You might be interested in the site wowlazymacros, BM hunter forum, specifically  macro created by Gween.  This site was created by someone who had limited mobility issues and you might be surprised by some of the results that these macros are able to obtain.  Granted they will never be as good as the perfect rotation done flawlessly by the expert player; but I can assure you that for what they are, they are capable of some pretty strong results.  The gear and consumable suggestions above are also spot on, but you may find some assistance in my suggestion as well.  Feel free to PM in game if you'd like, I am on Zul'Jin toon name Kuddzuu if you have questions.  Again everything else said above is very valuable and will significantly improve dps as well.  I realize that the mods may or may not approve of my advice, but it is given with the very best of intentions.

PS. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4wbdpyqVmr2nzHPT  link to my guilds logs from HNH just the other night, you can look at my results.  I personally use what I have suggested.  Again, this will never be as good as the expert game flawlessly executing the perfect rotation; but I don't think they are horrible results either.  

This is boarder line botting....i would say use at own risk. People might not of gotten a ban yet but that means they will not in the future. 

Don't believe me? google lazy macro wow ban....look at all those people asking the question....they would not be asking if it didn't feel "right". 

Edited by Banard