FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Patch 7.3 - Rejection of the Gift Cinematic

tQZ0hBo.jpg

Blizzard has successfully hidden a trailer on PTR from us and now that Patch 7.3 is live, you can find out what fate befell the naaru Xe'ra.

Obviously, the trailer contains spoilers and you should watch it only if you don't mind that.

Video was uploaded by MMO-Champion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Godamnit, Illidan. Y U DO DAT?

Although something was very cheesy about that redemption. X'era's voice was weird and too demanding.

Edited by Valhalen

somebody in guild chat made a comment about making a being called 'the light' psychotic, and I wasn't sure what he was talking about. 

Until I saw it.  

Quite the "gift," that must be given against someone's will.  And not just given, forcibly thrust upon.

Imo Illidan made a dumb thing. He could Just not come to Xe'ra and let rest do their thing. Not to mention that it was only cuz of that naru we rescued his soul and get him back to this world. As always he failed everyone around for own sake. Just another thing to hate edgelord class more.

• Like 1

I had like zero sympathy for Xe'ra considering it/Light's Heart was being a total douche about us killing Illidan back in TBC even though player characters didn't have the full picture and were put up to it by A'dal, a NAARU.

We're player characters, we've killed less sketchy people for more sketchy reasons, come on!

• Like 1

There is nothing more to this cut scene other then Blizzard saying "Sorry we know you don't like X'era so we will have Illidan look like a bad ass and kill her". What they fail to grasp about the situation however is the execution is god awful. Legion has made me unable to stand Illidan to the point of (and I can not believe I am saying this) that Metzen's hard on for Thrall during Cataclysm pales in comparison to who ever wrote this garbage. While Legion has been a great expansion content and game play wise, other then Suramar this expansion's lore is terrible. Now on a positive note, the art team and music team have been on point this expansion and Argus is amazing in these two areas. I just wise the lore team could get their act together.

Edited by Granis

When I was younger (Hey, WC3 is 15 years old!) I thought Illidan was one of the bad guys. I didn't fully grasp the lore in Warcraft at the time either and Blizzard has done a wonderful job with Illidan's (And Night-Elves in general) lore. The more I delved into Warcraft (Both reading books, visiting wiki's and of course playing the games) the more I feel like Illidan is the only one (Or at "worst" one in a handful) willing and capable to save Azeroth.

Little long personal tl;dr story coming up so don't bother reading if you're not interested.

The part about the scars in the cinematic "I AM MY SCARS" really moved me. Not because of the cinematic or simply because it's Illidan. I met a girl in my class at a very young age (10, she was 9) when I went to a new school. She had extremely low self-confidence and I couldn't figure out why, although by this point you are already aware because of the subject. We became good friends after just a few days and she talked to me about her past.

She was a victim in a car crash when she was 6, a truck drove into them. She was the only survivor, Her younger brother, aunt and uncle didn't make it. She didn't remember any of it. She just woke up in a hospital and heard the news much later (many months) during her recovery. She had her sternum broken and partly fractured due to the seatbelt keeping her in her seat (Make no mistake, without the seatbelt she wouldn't be here today) and the sudden stop (Actually a reverse, because it was a truck) causing the gforces to put the strain on her body.

She needed to be operated immediately (As you may know, the sternum connects the ribs and protects one of the more vital organs such as the heart and lungs, but also immediately endanger them when displaced), and as a result of the damage, it was a large operation (thoracotomy) and left a very large scar. It looks like this in length: leaving only a link, some people don't like to see scars and this in width: again, only a link.

Anyway, one can understand why her self-confidence was low on top of the trauma she received at such a young age. Most people usually really underestimate how big of a deal this is to a person (Especially if they have none themselves) and think too simply of it "You can just hide it under clothes anyway" etc. (Happened quite a few times at my school, young pubescent people can be really, really inconsiderate of other people's feelings) to the point that they don't even realize that, just like everyone else, she'd like to be able to wear swimwear without having a million people stare at her scar all day.

I see I'm drifting off way too much with this, I'll keep the rest short. She's managed to process her trauma over the many years, and Instead of it only being a burden, has grown to see the scar as a part of her and whom she's become as a person; the only remembrance of the crash that happened on that fateful day.

That's a lot of text to explain why I was moved by Illidan's line. But it is true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yridaa said:

When I was younger (Hey, WC3 is 15 years old!) I thought Illidan was one of the bad guys. I didn't fully grasp the lore in Warcraft at the time either and Blizzard has done a wonderful job with Illidan's (And Night-Elves in general) lore. The more I delved into Warcraft (Both reading books, visiting wiki's and of course playing the games) the more I feel like Illidan is the only one (Or at "worst" one in a handful) willing and capable to save Azeroth.

Little long personal tl;dr story coming up so don't bother reading if you're not interested.

The part about the scars in the cinematic "I AM MY SCARS" really moved me. Not because of the cinematic or simply because it's Illidan. I met a girl in my class at a very young age (10, she was 9) when I went to a new school. She had extremely low self-confidence and I couldn't figure out why, although by this point you are already aware because of the subject. We became good friends after just a few days and she talked to me about her past.

She was a victim in a car crash when she was 6, a truck drove into them. She was the only survivor, Her younger brother, aunt and uncle didn't make it. She didn't remember any of it. She just woke up in a hospital and heard the news much later (many months) during her recovery. She had her sternum broken and partly fractured due to the seatbelt keeping her in her seat (Make no mistake, without the seatbelt she wouldn't be here today) and the sudden stop (Actually a reverse, because it was a truck) causing the gforces to put the strain on her body.

She needed to be operated immediately (As you may know, the sternum connects the ribs and protects one of the more vital organs such as the heart and lungs, but also immediately endanger them when displaced), and as a result of the damage, it was a large operation (thoracotomy) and left a very large scar. It looks like this in length: leaving only a link, some people don't like to see scars and this in width: again, only a link.

Anyway, one can understand why her self-confidence was low on top of the trauma she received at such a young age. Most people usually really underestimate how big of a deal this is to a person (Especially if they have none themselves) and think too simply of it "You can just hide it under clothes anyway" etc. (Happened quite a few times at my school, young pubescent people can be really, really inconsiderate of other people's feelings) to the point that they don't even realize that, just like everyone else, she'd like to be able to wear swimwear without having a million people stare at her scar all day.

I see I'm drifting off way too much with this, I'll keep the rest short. She's managed to process her trauma over the many years, and Instead of it only being a burden, has grown to see the scar as a part of her and whom she's become as a person; the only remembrance of the crash that happened on that fateful day.

That's a lot of text to explain why I was moved by Illidan's line. But it is true.

Your personal story is moving and I can see why the line itself resonated with you. However within the story context it is just an edgy one liner to make Illidan sound cool. Now with all due respect (want to clarify I am not trying to be rude) but how can you watch that cutscene and then say "I feel like Illidan is the only one (Or at "worst" one in a handful) willing and capable to save Azeroth." while he in this scene he is being the biggest hypocrite ever. Again this is coming from the guy that says "No sacrifice is too great"

Edited by Granis
Typo
  • Like 1

I do not blame Illidan for retaliating (if a bit extreme) and I was pretty happy to see Xe'ra bite it. The way she chained him up like that and tried to force the light into him was really uncomfortable to watch.

Also, here's my favorite bit:

tura.thumb.png.ef9b037f7c37f74979dbb5cb76af4934.png

Edited by Elystia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Granis said:

(...) but how can you watch that cutscene and then say "I feel like Illidan is the only one (Or at "worst" one in a handful) willing and capable to save Azeroth." while he in this scene he is being the biggest hypocrite ever. Again this is coming from the guy that says "No sacrifice is too great"

Yeah, That really rustled my jimmies. I expected Illidan to become a bit more humble. We worked our asses off, learned everything about his past, went through that while ordeal to recover Xe're and bring him back, and he pulls that bullshit like a spoiled brat? C'mon!

Edited by Valhalen

10 minutes ago, Elystia said:

I do not blame Illidan for retaliating (if a bit extreme) and I was pretty happy to see Xe'ra bite it. The way she chained him up like that and tried to force the light into him was really uncomfortable to watch.

Also, here's my favorite bit:

tura.thumb.png.ef9b037f7c37f74979dbb5cb76af4934.png

Lol that is a great picture. I was to flabbergasted by the cut scene to notice that. I won't lie I disliked Xe'ra as well, but the reason for it is slightly different. I am aware that be hide the character is someone writing the story and it isn't just Xe'ra, but all the characters in the story are being undercut this expansion to prop up Illidan. This is the same thing they did with Varian back in MoP during "A Little Patience" and don't even get me started on the Broken Shore scenario. If Xe'ra trying to force her prophecy on anyone else I could see this being an uncomfortable moment. However again the person in question is Illidan and....well just look at all the shit he did during the Burning Crusade. It's okay to enslave someone (felorcs, the netherwing drakes) to fight the demons, but god forbid if he is forced to fight the legion in a way he doesn't want too. It just annoys the hell out of me that while the story elements in and of themselves are for the most part sound, their execution is so horrible. It might be me looking through rose tinted glasses but I feel Blizzard is WAY better then this or at least should be.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Granis said:

It's okay to enslave someone (felorcs, the netherwing drakes) to fight the demons, but god forbid if he is forced to fight the legion in a way he doesn't want too.

He repeatedly stated 'you can't trust the light' 'you can't depend on the light'. Of course he's going to reject the light, his way is the only way things get done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawzorthn said:

He repeatedly stated 'you can't trust the light' 'you can't depend on the light'. Of course he's going to reject the light, his way is the only way things get done.

And that is the main issue with him as a character since they brought him back. Illidan walks on water and everyone else be damned. It is also the reason I want to *insert death knight interrupt" who ever wrote this.

12 hours ago, Granis said:

It's okay to enslave someone (felorcs, the netherwing drakes) to fight the demons, but god forbid if he is forced to fight the legion in a way he doesn't want too.

This so damn much.

Edited by Valhalen

7 hours ago, Granis said:

And that is the main issue with him as a character since they brought him back. Illidan walks on water and everyone else be damned. It is also the reason I want to *insert death knight interrupt" who ever wrote this.

I don't think you understand how much Illidan has been through. He's not an edgy kul kid for no reason, he's had a pretty shitty past. His reaction made complete sense, and I'm glad Blizzard took advantage of the character's flaws instead of randomly turning him into a mindless troop of the Light.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Maruken said:

I don't think you understand how much Illidan has been through. He's not an edgy kul kid for no reason, he's had a pretty shitty past. His reaction made complete sense, and I'm glad Blizzard took advantage of the character's flaws instead of randomly turning him into a mindless troop of the Light.

I'm sorry but "I don't think you understand how much Illidan has been through"!? I know very well how much he has been through and that a large part of it was brought on by himself. And how exactly are they taking advantage of the "character's flaws"? Also why all of a sudden is the Light some mind controlling force? I could go on and on, but if I discuss this further I should probably make a proper forum post on it. Also want to state since it is hard to show tone in text that these questions are me asking for some inquisitive critical thinking and not trying to undermined your opinion, it is merely me trying to understand it.

Edited by Granis
Clearification
  • Like 1

Show me what Illidan have done on his path. Enslaved orcs and demons? Took freedom of Broken One? Made false promises to belfs and other? All that to get what he want and he even couldnt achiev goals.

At same time characters that followed Light killed Lich King or helped in many other missions. Turalyon and Army of the Light could fight Legion without so many stupid moves for longer than that spoiled blind emo...

• Like 1

Something I've loved about Illidan this xpac is that he doesn't believe in a higher power, "we alone are in charge of our own destiny." 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

Something I've loved about Illidan this xpac is that he doesn't believe in a higher power, "we alone are in charge of our own destiny." 

THIS!

Many people tend to forget that the light represents the absolute order and the Fel the absolute chaos.
(Both can be compelling)

In my opinion Blizz did a good job with this.

• Like 2

Seems like I am late to the discussion. Both sides make good points I feel, but I'd like to make some clarifications:

1. Illidan didn't achieve his goal at all at the end of The Frozen Throne expansion, but that doesn't mean you can use his methods as an argument against him. "He did this but he achieved nothing with it" - No one knows if what they're doing will be enough or come to fruition the way they want them to. In a lore setting like this, everything is a gamble and Illidan simply had insane stakes and sacrifices (Not just his own, of course) and he just ended up losing the bet entirely.

The other side of the coin would be "Well that was too predictable" if he just started beating up the Lich King through the sacrifices he made. I'd also like to let you know that it was not Illidan's responsibility to make sure the High Elves (At the time) would make the right decision.

2. The Light and its followers are not all that much different compared to Illidan's methods. Just like Illidan and his demon hunters will suffer from the temptation to let the demon within take control, the Light and it's followers are extremely (And I mean extremely) vulnerable to the temptation of the dark side (Yes that sounds like Star Wars, blame Blizzard, not me). You see followers like Benedictus turn sides, but even the extremely venerated Naaru can turn into dark stars (And apparently, it isn't even that hard)

You even saw the WoD Velen required to sacrifice himself to take care of a Naaru in the first place.

3. The methods of pretty much any other faction or race are also arguably terrible. The kingdom of Lordaeron used pressure and propaganda to unite the human settlements (Because "lol no protection from orcs if you don't join us"); Dark Iron dwarves woke up the nice insecticide god; A nice little hole inside Azeroth courtesy of Night Elves/Highborne; Forsaken, well, we all know how that's turning out to be already; Orcs obviously wanted to rule Azeroth, like 10 times over by now.

I really think it's not really fair to put Illidan in the spotlight and call him the bad guy here. The ones I mentioned above pretty much did everything for their own gain, while Illidan has absolutely nothing. No lineage, family discarded him, not welcome in his own homeland, hunted by pretty much everyone. Yet he doesn't sulk in a corner or go all lich king on Azeroth for revenge. Once Sargeras is dead and all demons are exterminated, I think he's likely to murder all demon hunters and finally himself to remove any risk of a new demon turning up.

And the latter statement is one of the more important ones. He's willing to turn down the power once it isn't needed anymore. I wonder how many of the other "Superpowers" can truly say and mean that. But Illidan would.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2017 at 3:50 PM, Yridaa said:

Once Sargeras is dead and all demons are exterminated, I think he's likely to murder all demon hunters and finally himself to remove any risk of a new demon turning up.

This is a huge part of his character IMO. I think it perfectly outlines exactly what Illidan is, in essence, which is essentially an answer to a larger problem. He isn't looking to take over once the Legion is dealt with, or whatever. He has everyone telling him he is some chosen end to the Legion, but at the end of the day, he just wants eliminate as much of the Legion as possible and, as you say, it wouldn't surprise me if he kills himself once the Legion is completely gone. The only thing that he seems to care about beyond the hunt is Tyrande and she is long gone.

10 hours ago, Blainie said:

The only thing that he seems to care about beyond the hunt is Tyrande and she is long gone.

I haven't been to date with the lore. Do you mean Tyrande is dead??