Starym

PTR Patch Notes: Junkrat and Mercy Ult Nerfs Jan 4

Sign in to follow this  

12 posts in this topic

lIziwHx.png

As Jeff Kaplan confirmed earlier today, it's the Ult nerf round on the PTR this time around, as Mercy get her strongest ability tuned and its power reduced, with Junkrat getting a similar treatment for his mine! And there's dev comments on the matter to go with the notes! 

Blizzard LogoJanuary 4, PTR (source)

HERO UPDATES

Junkrat

• Concussion Mine
    • Will now deal less damage to targets farther away from the explosion’s center

Mercy

• Valkyrie
    • No longer makes Resurrect instant
    • No longer grants a bonus charge of Resurrect
    • The speed boost that Guardian Angel receives has been decreased by 50%
    • Duration reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds

Developer Comment: Junkrat has been enjoying the flexibility his double-charge Concussion Mine provides, but it has now become a bit too easy to throw out huge bursts damage in a large area. With this change he can still dish out similar damage but he must now be more accurate with his tosses.

Mercy’s recent Resurrect changes have helped in allowing enemies to have more counter play in dealing with her, but she was able to use Resurrect through Valkyrie enough to largely mitigate the impact of the previous changes. Additionally, we’re toning back the amount of mobility Valkyrie provides through Guardian Angel and reducing its duration to overall reduce the power of this ability.

We will likely be iterating on these changes in the coming weeks.

Header art by Rioxnation.

That's the most Blizzard-like nerf I've ever seen. Hit it hard and everywhere. Take no prisoners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oxygen said:

That's the most Blizzard-like nerf I've ever seen. Hit it hard and everywhere. Take no prisoners.

And also the most necessary. She's been broken for like, what, 6 months now? This compared to other ults finally brings it along the same power level with the flexibility and flight you get during it.

3 hours ago, leapingshadow said:

She's been broken for like, what, 6 months now?

That's the problem. Rather than doing gradual nerfs to find the sweet spot, they let obviously broken things exist for an excessive amount of time without acting upon them, then turn them into a wet noodle. They don't usually buff things, especially when they've caused a stigma. Now, I'm sure Mercy will be fine, but this approach is all too typical and tends to affect Hearthstone and Heroes much more than Overwatch.

• Like 2

Mercy is already terrible this nerf is just to make her unplayable, nobody let you already resurrect normally since you instantly die doing so because you stand still for enough time that even the guy with the worst aim in the world will kill you, now you can't resurrect in Valkyrie either why don't remove that resurrection and replace it with something else like a self-destruct command that you explode like DVa mech, since it seems appropriate for what they are trying to make that hero.

Hey guys. Jeff from the Overwatch Team here, we've got some new Mercy changes in PTR. We've decided to completely remove all of her abilities, and now her only function is to emote and say voice lines. Mercy mains now exist solely for supportive messages in team chat, thanks so much

source: twitter 

Edited by Plergoth

I will also say that Mercy when had Resurrect ultimate was invincible when resurrected someone now she is immobile and isn't invincible for an atrocious amount of time that means if someone throw you a exploding mech you're still here resurrecting and the mech already exploded.

Those changes are not to balance but to kill a hero that isn't even playable especially after Moira release.

Mercy unique ability was to resurrect now she pratically can't do that anymore why would someone will play Mercy over Moira or Lucio that are much better than her in this pityful state.

3 hours ago, Oxygen said:

That's the problem. Rather than doing gradual nerfs to find the sweet spot, they let obviously broken things exist for an excessive amount of time without acting upon them, then turn them into a wet noodle. They don't usually buff things, especially when they've caused a stigma. Now, I'm sure Mercy will be fine, but this approach is all too typical and tends to affect Hearthstone and Heroes much more than Overwatch.

Except that the current iteration of Mercy is broken even after the rework and even after one round of nerfs. It's not like they haven't made changes before and are suddenly acting - more like they've dropped the hammer on her twice and it still needs to be dropped again. Imho, the ability to resurrect is just an inherently broken ability in a game like Overwatch. Though I will agree that the other changes to Valk seem unnecessary. 

Since you chose to bring up other games, I think that's a situation of people seeing what they want to see. Obviously there's not one team making balancing decisions for all three of these games and I highly doubt there's some kind of "Game Balance Overlord" at Blizzard who dictates the attitude for the entire company. I can't speak to Heroes, but for Hearthstone specifically, recent nerfs seem to be quite even-handed especially with the implementation of the Hall of Fame. 

There's only a handful of healing supports in OW, even with the recent addition of Moira, it's a very small pool to be choosing something from, particularly when the meta pretty much demands something like Resurrect because of how much damage there is and how quickly something can go from healthy to dead real quick. 

With this in mind, I am fine with Valkyrie's duration being reduced and I am also okay with the speed being cut down, but Valkyrie not at least resetting the cooldown on Resurrect is extremely inconsistent with many other ults in the game, but okay, I will work with it. Just allow me and other Mercy players to be able to res someone in Valk mode at our location away from their corpse. No more multiple Rez, fine. No more cdr on Rez, fine. But let us retain some kind of playmaking  outside of bringing numpties back from the grave or be able to use our own gamesense and awareness to rez a team mate who got murdered in an exposed spot by not having to fly into said exposed spot to get murdered. 

I feel that's a bit wrong way of nerfing. Imo Mercy's ult problem was not in immediate rez or additional rez, but in her "invincibility" at that moment - only something like Widowmaker could counterplay her ult. While i feel satisfied with movement speed reduction i belive they could just disable her "always on" passive and nerf her shift while ult is on.

I understood what they were doing beforehand but taking off the Valk advantage to Rez seems like the wrong way of doing it. Like the ult enhances Mercy, so the enhancement to Rez made sense. The thing that always seemed off with Mercy was her autoheal and I'm surprised they haven't even looked at that.

Personally, I'd say let her have Rez only in Valk mode and keep it as is (Bump to 3 charges and no punishment for using it). Instead of Rez as a normal ability, let her throw her staff at the ground or something and turn it into a heal spot; I dunno (then again I'm not a character designer)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym
      Ana, Lucio and Moira buffs, Brigitte and Mercy nerfs are coming! Geoff Goodman takes to the forums to explain and detail some upcoming changes to support heroes "to keep them competitive with each other". From the lucky ones like Ana's ult healing addition, to a huge Sound Barrier shield buff and more for Lucio, it seems only Mercy is getting a significant whack on the head with her primary healing beam getting reduced.
      Geoff Goodman (source)
      In the next patch we’re reviewing the current state of support heroes and are making some changes to nearly all of them to keep them competitive with each other. I’ll start by just listing the changes below:
      Ana
      Nano Boost additionally heals the target instantly for 300 HP. Brigitte
      Shield Bash cooldown increased from 6 to 7 seconds. Lúcio
      Sound Barrier effect increased 50% from 500 to 750 shields. Crossfade aura radius increased 20% from 10m to 12m. Mercy
      Primary fire healing beam reduced 17% from 60 HP/s to 50 HP/s. Moira
      Healing resource base regen rate increased 20%. Now that all the changes are listed, I’ll go through each hero and talk a bit about the goals of these changes and our current views on each support hero in general.
      Ana
      Ana has a very strong and unique toolbox, with the potential to dish out more healing than any other hero in the game. That said, she has a couple disadvantages that can be difficult to overcome, such the potential to miss your targets, not having any mobility options, and having a more difficult time keeping herself healed up. Her ultimate can be very powerful but often feels like it can be difficult to use effectively unless it is used in combination with other allied ultimates such as Genji’s Dragonblade. This new change allows Ana to use her ultimate as a clutch save on a dying teammate, or even use it in combination with her Biotic Grenade for a huge instant heal on even the biggest of tank health pools.
      Brigitte
      Shield Bash is Brigitte’s strongest ability, and its short cooldown makes it very difficult to play around. We’d like to keep her Shield Bash and subsequent melee combos powerful and effective, while just allowing a little more counter-play against it. We’ve talked about possibly reducing her defense somewhere, such as reducing her barrier health. However, her tank-hybrid nature is a core part of her kit and we want to make sure she maintains that feeling of being a difficult target to take down. Overall Brigitte’s win rate is still the highest of any support, despite dishing out the lowest amount of raw healing per second. This speaks volumes to how powerful her kit can be outside of her direct healing numbers.
      Lúcio
      Lucio’s Crossfade aura can be an invaluable addition for any team, but it can sometimes be difficult to keep your whole team boosted. We’re increasing the radius of Lucio’s Crossfade aura to allow more flexibility in how he moves while still maintaining his powerful support songs to help out his team. His ultimate is also being increased to help counter large spikes of damage. For example, Junkrat’s ultimate can deal a maximum of 600 damage, which Sound Barrier can now potentially negate completely. It is worth noting that even though the initial shield he provides is larger, it still takes the same amount of time to destroy itself.
      Mercy
      Mercy is intended to be able to consistently pump out more healing than any other healer over the course of a match. While this is currently true, the difference in healing is so significant that it makes it very difficult for other healers to compete with her for a spot on a team. Reducing her healing output will close this gap a little, but she will still maintain her status as the go-to pick for raw healing power. We’ll keep an eye on her to make sure she is still a strong pick.
      Moira
      Moira is a strong hero that doesn’t need a ton of changes. The resource change her is mostly to help her out in the situations where you’re just not able to get close enough the enemy to drain them for resources. Now if you’re team is sparring with the enemy team at super long ranges, you’ll have a bit more resources to work with to keep your team topped off.
      Zenyatta
      We aren’t making any changes to Zen right now, as we feel he is in a pretty good spot. He is doing his job well as a hybrid damage/healer and being able to provide discord orb for your team will always be welcome.
      These changes are coming to the PTR very soon. We’re always looking at our stats, gathering feedback and playing the game to make sure we keep all the heroes viable. We will have time to watch and iterate on these changes throughout this PTR cycle, so please play and give feedback!
    • By Starym
      Everyone's favorite hamster is arriving next week where he'll be rolling around everything and everyone and making players hate map edges even more! Hero 28 will be throwing his (in)considerable weight around on live servers after a really great run on the PTR where everyone had a ton of fun finding extremely quick ways around maps with the swinging mechanic and throwing everyone off maps.

You can also check out all his new skins emotes and sprays in this video so you have some credits ready to target those legendaries:
    • By Starym
      Yesterday on the Overwatch League stream we had a big reveal for Twitch All Access Pass holders, with Lúcio receiving his first legenday emote, and it's a doozy too! Coming out on July 24th, the emote joins the 15 league skins, twitch emotes, a global twitch chat badge, a lot of various insider content as well as an in-game spray and player icon. The Lúcio emote looks like one of the most complex ones to date and is probably the most worth-while item in the whole package, so make sure to check it out.
      All Access Pass (source)
      Every match day, the Overwatch League Twitch chat morphs into a virtual arena, where fans from across the globe gather to cheer on their favorite teams. Now, the time has come to stand out. The Overwatch League All-Access Pass on Twitch is for our superfans: an evolving VIP badge that you can wear in game and in Twitch chat, and that offers a premium viewing experience and behind-the scenes access.
      Let’s look at some of the features.
      LÚCIO LEGENDARY EMOTE
      Get ready to break it down with a new legendary Lúcio emote! This limited-time exclusive is available starting Tuesday, July 24, to all Twitch All-Access passholders. If you’re not already an All-Access member, go here to join. Read on to learn more about the great content you’ll get as an All-Access member.
      PLAYERS PACK
      As announced on Twitch Day on April 14, All-Access passholders will receive 12 Overwatch League team away skins in May. The skins, which will represent one fan-favorite hero for each team, will be automatically deposited into the game accounts linked with All-Access passholders.
      Insider Content
      To allow super fans to dive deeper into the league they love, the All-Access Pass grants access to the Overwatch League Command Center: a second-screen match-day livestream, featuring alternate in-game camera angles, backstage cameras, player POVs, and real-time stats. Your pass also provides access to exclusive behind-the-scenes VODs. In Stage 3, this will be in the form of a weekly series called Behind the Screens, in which an Overwatch League player will give their own analysis of a recent game.
      We know Overwatch League fans love interacting with their favorite players, so All-Access Passholders will be able to view and contribute to Match Day AMAs. Passholders can participate by submitting questions in chat during a special player livestream following the conclusion of Overwatch League broadcasts.
      To celebrate the launch of the program—and to give all Overwatch League fans a taste of what the All-Access Pass experience will offer—the Command Center, Behind the Screens and Match Day AMAs will be free through May 15th!
      Twitch Content
      Overwatch League All-Access Pass will offer 23 global emotes, including gold team emotes and character ability emotes:
      To further show off in chat, All-Access grants you a global chat badge, so you can rep the Overwatch League on Twitch no matter where you are. And in Overwatch League chat itself, you’ll have the global badge and a subscription icon (if you have Twitch Prime, we’ve made it look a little extra-special).
      You’ll be able to show off your badges and try out these new emotes in the subscriber-only Twitch chat room, where super fans from around the world can enjoy in-depth conversations.
      All-Access also will grant an ad-free Overwatch League experience on Twitch.
      In-Game Content
      All-Access passholders to be able to proudly declare their fandom within the game itself, and here’s how:
      Overwatch League in-game skins.  
      In-game spray and player icon. The Overwatch League All-Access Pass is available for USD $29.99 for the inaugural season.  All Access Pass benefits will last up to the start of the 2019 OWL Season—Twitch emotes, badges, and in-game content are yours to keep! A Blizzard account link is required to redeem in-game rewards. For more information or to purchase, head to https://www.twitch.tv/p/overwatchleague.
    • By Starym
      More feedback on the LFG and Endorsement systems and it seems they've had a massive positive effect on toxicity of players and are making the game much more enjoyable! So far we only got stats for KR and the Americas with EU coming later, but the numbers are very impressive nonetheless:
      Jeff Kaplan (source)
      Our Global Insights group just finished parsing some stats as it relates to LFG and Endorsements.
      Post release of Endorsements and LFG:
      The % of Competitive Matches that Contain Abusive Chat is down:
      26.4% in the Americas
      16.4% in KR
      The % of Daily Players being Abusive is down:
      28.8% in the Americas
      21.6% in KR
      We’re really pleased with the community’s efforts to make OW a better place! Thank you all!
      And we’ll keep working on iterating on these features to make them better as well as exploring other systems to improve the gameplay environment.
      We don’t have all the stats reported yet… sorry… I was just sharing what progress we had…
      Yes, some quality of life changes are coming very soon. For example, in an upcoming patch the LFG system will persist your filters across logins.
      So the new social systems greatly improved quality of life in the game, but even if they hadn't, it's great to see Blizzard trying new things to improve community interaction, especially since it working in one game can easily be transferred to other games as well. Imagine if your acceptance into a M+ or raid group was based off of recommendations and endorsements instead of raw ilevel and achievements alone...
    • By Starym
      Activision Blizzard signed a historic deal for the broadcast rights to the Overwatch League on US television. For the next 2 years ESPN, Disney XD and ABC will be covering the league events, both live and as summaries. This marks the first time esports will be shown in prime time on a major network, with the quarter and semifinals aired live on DisneyXD and ESPN 2 and 3, while the finals will be shown on both ESPN, ESPN 2 and Disney XD. The package also includes the very first airing of competitive gaming on ABC, one of the big four broadcast networks in the US, with the highlights recap of the finals airing on July 29th. This marks a huge step forward for esports and its presence in the mainstream media, and it seems appropriate for Overwatch to make this first step, as it's already pushed into the pop culture realm.

The playoffs have already started, so check out the schedule below, as well as comments from both ESPN, DisneyXD and Activision Blizzard themselves:
      Overwatch League (source)
      ESPN, Disney XD and Blizzard Entertainment Announce Multiyear Exclusive Telecast Agreement for Overwatch League™

Jul 11, 2018   Comprehensive 2018 coverage including Overwatch League playoffs and Grand Finals across ESPN and Disney television networks Telecast schedules for 2019 Overwatch League content to be announced IRVINE, Calif--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul. 11, 2018-- Today ESPN, Disney XD and Blizzard Entertainment announced an exclusive multiyear agreement for live television coverage of the Overwatch League™, the world’s first major global city-based esports league.
      Beginning with Overwatch League playoff coverage on Wednesday, July 11, across both networks, the 2017–2018 Overwatch League inaugural season concludes with the Grand Finals live from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, on ESPN and Disney XD July 27–28. All coverage also will be available for ESPN and Disney network subscribers to stream live on the ESPN App and DisneyNOW. To round out the 2018 Grand Finals coverage, a recap show highlighting the biggest moments will air July 29 on ABC. The Grand Finals telecast on ESPN marks the first time live competitive gaming has aired on the flagship network in primetime, and will be the first broadcast of an esports championship on ABC.
      “The Overwatch League Grand Finals is by far our most comprehensive television distribution for an esports event over a single weekend: 10 total hours over four networks and three days,” said Justin Connolly, Executive Vice President, Affiliate Sales and Marketing, Disney and ESPN Media Networks. “This overall collaboration with Disney/ABC, ESPN and Blizzard represents our continued commitment to esports, and we look forward to providing marquee Overwatch League coverage across our television platforms for fans.”
      “We are pleased to partner with Activision Blizzard to bring Overwatch esports to our audience. The Blizzard team has created a genre-leading esport and a premium professional franchise system in the Overwatch League,” said Marc Buhaj, Senior Vice President, Programming and General Manager, Disney XD. “We are kicking off the agreement by showcasing the inaugural season playoffs and Grand Finals live across our linear footprint. Together with our telecast partners at ESPN, we look forward to growing a legion of new Overwatch fans across the next two years.”
      “We’re excited to be working with ESPN and DisneyXD to bring Overwatch esports to an even wider audience,” said Pete Vlastelica, President and CEO of Activision Blizzard Esports Leagues. “We’ve seen incredible passion and support from fans during the inaugural season of the Overwatch League, and we’re looking forward to capping it off for them with an epic Grand Finals at Barclays Center later this month.”
      The inaugural season of the Overwatch League will culminate in the Grand Finals, the ultimate showdown for the championship: the first team to win two best-of-five matches at Barclays Center will take home the Overwatch League trophy and the lion’s share of the $1.4 million Grand Finals prize pool. Play begins Friday, July 27, at 7 p.m. EDT with the first best-of-five match on ESPN, and continues Saturday, July 28, at 4:30 p.m. EDT with the second and potential third series on Disney XD. This broadcast will air alongside the primary digital viewing experience on Twitch, with the Overwatch League also available via MLG.com. A re-air of day two Grand Finals play will be available on ESPN2 at 9 p.m. EDT. In addition, a recap show of highlights from the Grand Finals will air Sunday, July 29, at 3 p.m. EDT on ABC. The full telecast schedule, from the playoffs through the Grand Finals, is below.
      Overwatch League 2017–2018 Playoffs and Grand Finals Telecast Schedule (all times Eastern)
                                Date       Time (EDT)       Event       Network(s) Wed, July 11       8 p.m.       Day 1 of Quarterfinals       Disney XD, ESPN3 Fri, July 13       8 p.m.       Day 2 of Quarterfinals       Disney XD, ESPN3 Sat, July 14       4 p.m.       Day 3 of Quarterfinals       Disney XD, ESPN3 Wed, July 18       8 p.m.       Day 1 of Semifinals       Disney XD, ESPN3 Fri, July 20       7 p.m.       Day 2 of Semifinals       ESPNEWS Sat, July 21       7 p.m.       Day 3 of Semifinals       ESPN2 Fri, July 27       7 p.m.       Day 1 of Finals       ESPN Sat, July 28       4:30 p.m.       Day 2 of Finals       Disney XD, ESPN3 Sat, July 28       9 p.m.       Day 2 of Finals       ESPN2 (re-air) Sun, July 29       3 p.m.       Highlights Recap       ABC, ESPN3                           About the Overwatch League™
      The Overwatch League™ is the first major global professional esports league with city-based teams across Asia, Europe, and North America. Overwatch® was created by globally acclaimed publisher Blizzard Entertainment (a division of Activision Blizzard—Nasdaq: ATVI), whose iconic franchises have helped lay the foundations and push the boundaries of professional esports over the last 15 years. The latest addition to Blizzard’s stable of twenty-one #1 games, Overwatch was built from the ground up for online competition, with memorable characters and fast-paced action designed for the most engaging gameplay and spectator experiences. To learn more about the Overwatch League, visit www.overwatchleague.com.
      Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-looking Statements: Information in this press release that involves Blizzard Entertainment’s expectations, plans, intentions or strategies regarding the future, including statements about the exclusive multiyear agreement for live television coverage of the Overwatch League with ESPN and Disney XD, and the dates, events and features of the Overwatch League, are forward-looking statements that are not facts and involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Factors that could cause Blizzard Entertainment’s actual future results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements set forth in this release include unanticipated product delays and other factors identified in the risk factors sections of Activision Blizzard’s most recent annual report on Form 10-K and any subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. The forward-looking statements in this release are based upon information available to Blizzard Entertainment and Activision Blizzard as of the date of this release, and neither Blizzard Entertainment nor Activision Blizzard assumes any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements believed to be true when made may ultimately prove to be incorrect. These statements are not guarantees of the future performance of Blizzard Entertainment or Activision Blizzard and are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, some of which are beyond its control and may cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations.