FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Gotherok

What you think about raid progress and logs?

What you think about raid progress and logs?

As an old DPS player from late vanilla, i feel that my experience with raids has become something different. It is not bad! I will cover the counterpart later. Time ago, most usuall thing was that the best that you could do on a boss was to do your best dps while avoiding skills. Now, thats not the case. We have to soak things, eat cakes and... well, some new stuff. As i said, there is nothing wrong about it.

The thing is that we have two confronted groups.

1. People doing their job while doing DPS
  2. People who only try to rank no matter what.
  • Sometimes we have a third group, people who try to rank no matter what, at the beggining, but change to the other kind if the guild is stucked on a boss.

What i hate is to hear about those who only focus on their DPS saying "check logs! i did a 99! nice carry heh?" after 200 wipes of other people doing what he does not.

What is your experience about this? What about healers like paladins with devotion or sacrifice?

Now, I only raid on heroic, so I cannot comment on mythic encounters, but In my guild(s) there has always been space for both. People who are able to push their class and spec to it's absolute limits should be allowed to just do that as long as it doesn't get in the way. We never ran into situations where our top dps refused to switch targets or play the mechanics, but we always tried to incorporate their power into our strategies. If some spec is bad at switching targets but does decent sustained dmg, let them do that unless it is absolutely necessary to switch. It's always a matter of teamplay and strategy.

To give another example: As a resto druid, I could absolutely smash the meters on Varimathras. But instead I volunteered to catch the knockbacks with bear form since that allows everyone else to do their jobs better, and there really is no need to go all out in terms of dps/hps, at least on heroic difficulty.

As long as we are on progress, all that matters is the kill, And the one thing that ensures the kill more than anything is playing the boss right. Once a boss is on farm and becomes trivial, the dick measuring shall commence.

Oh, and yes, this only applies to guild groups and proper teamplay. Don't choose the PuG life, kids.

On 27/04/2018 at 6:21 PM, jinsu2301 said:

Oh, and yes, this only applies to guild groups and proper teamplay. Don't choose the PuG life, kids.

I have to pug on a few of my alts and going into normal is just crazy, but with the rising number of people inspecting logs before inviting to heroic pugs, I guess it's understandable to an extent. Melee will ignore portals on PK just to stay down and pad DPS so they do better on logs, otherwise you'll risk getting turned down to a new pug.

I find it does more good than harm.

Overgeared players gearing to help their parse. WarcraftLogs is an invaluable tool for evaluating logs during actual raid progression as a mythic guild. raider.io is give or take. I use it and I like it as a higher mythic+ player. Gives me something other than ilvl to rely on, but breaking out of that lower progress can be hard at times.

I think logs really helps to improve. And it can help to find decent player...even i dont care when creating Pug. As you mentioned...there are player just padding and playing 4 logs. I like players who are doing mechanics and not just going 4 parses. I often inspect a player. With a decent understanding you can identify if a player has potential to be a good one or just a pimp :-). 

Raider.io / wowprogress score 4 mythic+.... Its just a fake. But basically i dont care, i do it with my guildmates. But look, a system that relies on "timing" is bad. What do i mean with timing: you just have to finish high keys at the beginn of a week (wednesday) and you easely get a high score. If you finish the same key at the end of the week...see what happens. So this is just fake...scorepushing. But ok of course, if a player has a high score he seems to be able. But it doesnt mean a player with a lower score is worse...