FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
iceplayer77

Leveling quick and painless

What would be the most effecient spec to level as. It's been ages since I have leveled a warlock and would like some input on which spec allows multiple pulls and aoe grinding. Human warlock currently lvl 12.

Running around as affliction is fun once you get all of your dots. Demo is probably the easiest option to go with. Hard to remember what level you get the void walker but once you get that guy it's pretty much smooth sailing. Demo AoE is super easy and OP at any level.

Destruction is super easy to level with as well.  I might even say easier than Demo, but I did level as Demo so I can't say for sure.  Once you get instant cast RoF though, Destruction gets work done.

I leveled a warlock around the end of cata. I went affliction from the start with a fair amount of boa's. Pretty much from level 20 all the way to 85 I could dot stuff up and just keep running and it'd drop dead faster than I could dot a new target.

Reasons I recommend playing as Demo:

Affliction is slow.

Destruction takes longer to get the things that give you damage, and to go fast through mobs you've got to waste embers to heal or kill thing with Chaos Bolt (instead of Shadowburn, which gives you embers back) to trigger Glyph of Soul Consumption.

Demonology is the ultimate AoE grinding spec, I'd argue, of the entire game. Metamorphosis is the big resource-spending equivalent of the other specs. When you kill a mob in metamorphosis, you trigger Glyph of Soul Consumption. You also get more Demonic Fury, which lets you stay in meta. Basically, you can infinitely farm things in Demonology as you get the skills by pulling a lot and AoEing like there's no tomorrow. AoE costs the same amount of fury to do no matter how many targets, so the more you pull the more fury you'll be getting back from kills and the more healing you'll get. The only thing is to make sure you don't stop pulling until you no longer need to.

I preferred destro to level. I just tagged something and sent my vw after it while I nuked another mob down made questing stupid easy.

I'm leveling a Gnome Warlock (GASP!) and Destruction feels the smoothest to me.  With no BoA gear, I'm able to 3-4 shot level-equivalent mobs with Immolate - Conflag - Incinerate - Conflag.  I can't imagine it getting any easier when I get Shadowburn and Ember Tap.  This is the first time I've leveled a Warlock pre-80 since Wrath, so it's been quite interesting.  I don't get why people are asking for the best spec because leveling is easy no matter what you're doing it as.  Just play what is fun, because you're going to be doing it for a long time.

Speaking of leveling, I may roll a horde lock. Zag, you need to teach me all about that super fast Horde leveling process of yours.

Speaking of leveling, I may roll a horde lock. Zag, you need to teach me all about that super fast Horde leveling process of yours.

When the Kids Raidathon came about I started to gear my lock out again horde side.  Mixed feelings... not sure if i want to gear my second Ally lock for Dual boxing fun or my Horde lock for an option to join in some of the community raid stuff that happens only horde!  Both are sitting a little better now that I got the Normal BoA Staff!

But my boomkin is getting the most love on off nights right now.

This route is particularly solid for Herbalism and Mining, although Mining will slow your leveling down.  Herbalism will speed it up.  This is because most ore is off the beaten path while herbs are everywhere.

Roll whatever you want and hit level 10.  Head to Undercity via Zeppelin.  Travel to Silverpine Forest.

Hit level 20 in Silverpine Forest + RFC + Shadowfang Keep.  Head to Hillsbrad Hills.

Hit level 30 in Hillsbrad Hills + some dungeons.  Head to Arathi Highlands.

Hit level 35 in Arathi Highlands (head all the way to the East coast for massive quest load).  Head to Western Plaguelands.

Hit level 40 in WPL.  Head to Eastern Plaguelands. 

Hit level 45-48 in WPL.  Head to Badlands via Rocket.

Hit level 51 in Badlands.  Hearth to Orgrimmar, take Mage portal to Stonard or take Zepp to STV and run to Swamp of Sorrows.

Hit level 55 in Swamp.  Head to Blasted Lands.

Hit level 58 in Blasted Lands.  Head to Dark Portal.  Travel to Thrallmar.

Hit level 62 in Hellfire Peninsula via quests and dungeons (do each once).

Hit level 64 in Zangermarsh.  Travel to Nagrand.

Hit level 67 in Nagrand.  Hit 68 with dungeons weaved in.  Hearth to Org, take Zep to Borean Tundra.

Hit level 71 in Borean Tundra.  Travel to Dragonblight.

Hit level 74 in Dragonblight.  Travel to Zul'drak.

Hit level 76 in Zul'drak.  Get to Dalaran.  Pick up quest to go to Sholozar Basin.  Ride Helicopter.

Hit level 79 in Sholozar, 80 if you sprinkle in dungeons.  If short, head to Icecrown and do opening chain to hit 80.  Hearth to Orgrimmar, pick up quest to go to Hyjal, take portal to Hyjal.

Hit level 82 in Hyjal.  Head to Deepholme.

Hit level 83 in Deepholme (84 if you want to skip Uldum) then head to Twilight Highlands.

Hit level 85 in Uldum.  Be sure to sprinkle in quests.

Hit level 86 in Jade Forest.

Hit level 87 in Valley of Four Winds.

Hit level 88 in Kun-lai Summit.

Hit level 89 in Townlong Steppes.

Hit level 90 in Dread Wastes. 

I can't give specific quest info...I just sorta know what to do in each area.  I've gotten from 1-90 on a fully decked out BoA druid in 1 day, 20 hours, so 44 hours.  No RaF.

And I would go Demo or Destro for lvling.  I am biased towards Affliction since I cant play it on a normal basis (tri spec already bliz) and gravitate more towards the nuke specs than the lolspriest spec.

Demo, Meta is very strong for lvling, AoE and grinding.  Destro kills shit fast, and Embertap is awesome for lvling

When I was leveling just recently, I was aff until outland, but that was mostly due to just fanboying the spec, destro until MoP, and demo from there on. Without BoAs, Chaos bolt + shadowburn = dead mobs before pandaria, so you kill shit imediately. In pandaland, mobs don't die so quickly, and I preferred demo for more consistent damage output.

Any particular way to recognize which quests are good to ignore? Obviously you can't type out 44 hours of information, but I'm always hungry for any tips that help me level alts faster (especially pures, because I can't just chain dungeons to 90).

Anytime you see 'kill 20 of this' you ignore it.  You should never do one or two quests unless it progresses the chain like WPL.  You'll have absolutely no issues with big chunks of quests if you follow my route.  I just recognize some quests as sucky shitty quests that I drop...like acquiring 10 flippers from the water beasts in Zangermarsh.  I NEVER do that quest because the drop rate is abysmal.  Know that quest in Zul'drak that requires you to get 3 low-percent drops from the water elementals, turn it into one, then fight a big one and do that three times?  SKIPPED.  There are various quests I don't do because the XP/hr isn't worth it.  You should ignore this unless you want to retardedly min/max leveling like I have.  This just requires repetition (I've leveled 28 max level characters...)

Anytime you see 'kill 20 of this' you ignore it.  You should never do one or two quests unless it progresses the chain like WPL.  You'll have absolutely no issues with big chunks of quests if you follow my route.  I just recognize some quests as sucky shitty quests that I drop...like acquiring 10 flippers from the water beasts in Zangermarsh.  I NEVER do that quest because the drop rate is abysmal.  Know that quest in Zul'drak that requires you to get 3 low-percent drops from the water elementals, turn it into one, then fight a big one and do that three times?  SKIPPED.  There are various quests I don't do because the XP/hr isn't worth it.  You should ignore this unless you want to retardedly min/max leveling like I have.  This just requires repetition (I've leveled 28 max level characters...)

Now I kind of want to level a new class to 90.  Thanks douche.  </3

Since most of you are hordies... question for you.

I am leveling a horde lock for fun, just to see Horde side of the leveling experience.  I rolled a forsaken as I had heard that Silverpine was a great zone for lore/story, and it is.  I really enjoyed Silverpine, although having a Worgen main, it was tough slaughtering all those worgen. 

So I ask of you, what zones are a must on Horde side?  I plan on taking my time, even if I outlevel the zone. I'll even go back to a lower lvl zone if needed.  I know a lot of zones have similar story lines once you get into BC/Wrath/Cata territory, so this is mostly aimed at the 1-60 range.

Edited by Demyndra

If you haven't touched Hillsbrad Hills, it is a must.  The zone starts with you handing quests to various types of 'players' and the zone lets you go and find them.  It's a great transition from Silverpine.

If you haven't done the entire Paladin Pals chain in Western and Eastern Plaguelands, I highly suggest it.  Otherwise, not a lot of noteable chains.

Welcome to the Machine is officially my favorite quest in the history of quests. Except for the old lock one where you fought El Pollo Grande <The Black Chicken of Death> at level 50 to learn Summon Infernal.

I'm really dreadfully sad I missed the Felsteed quest and quest to get your Infernal.  All these nostalgia things come back and my first Warlock memory was training my Felsteed at my class trainer. 

I am doing the same thing - leveling a Hordie to see the other side, and I highly recommend sticking with Silverpine and Hillsbrad both. There's an orc in Hillsbrad named Kingslayer Orkus; you really don't want to miss his storyline. My only problem is that I have too many BOAs on, so I am leveling too fast for the storylines. But I am going back and finishing them later for the lore nerdery.

the infernal quest and the original scythe quest were amazing.

the dreadsteed quest... FUCK THAT SHIT. i actually have a super epic memory of the dreadsteed quest. 2 other warlocks and myself were LFG at the same time in trade (this was before dungeon finder, cross realms, or any of that shit) for the final dire maul portion of the chain. we joined up and convinced a warrior tank to come with us but we absolutely could not find a healer. we spent hours 4-manning dire maul and pulling every warlock trick in the book (there were a lot, even back then) and eventually we finished the quest, turned it in together, and popped our dreadsteeds at the same time and took about a million and a half screenshots together. and then we had a silent agreement to part ways and never speak to each other again because nothing we could do after that could be as ridiculously amazing as that dire maul run.