FORUMS
Valks

Marksmanship Hunter 8.3

On 12/5/2018 at 6:44 AM, Guest Nidi said:

Hi Azortharion, will there be an update for 8.1?

What are your thoughts regarding the changes incoming for MM?

Do you see some viability for MM after the changes to the spec and Azerite Traits or is it still BM >= SV > MM for progress raiding?

As always, there will be an update for the upcoming patch, on or before the Tuesday where the patch releases.

The changes are more rotational than anything and Marksmanship is not looking to be significantly stronger or weaker than it was before.

Guest kittybleu

I realize this is still a work in progress for 8.1 (as always thanks for all the hard work!) but the rotation and recommended talents don't quite match yet-

Where does double tap fit in the rotation? I would assume (on single target anyway) that it would be most beneficial with aimed shot during careful aim periods (yes?) - is it the sort of thing you pop for high priority adds? or should it be used right before pull?

forgive me if i missed a note in the cooldown section, all i remember about double tap is spend it on rapid fire for aoe

Guest Roathem

Hey, thanks for the 8.1 update. I have 2 questions (about upcoming changes in Patch 8.1):

1.) I have 2 Steady Aim traits. Is it better to overcap focus by using Steady Aim while Aimed Shot / Rapid Fire is on cooldown? Or should I use unbuffed Arcane Shots to waste my focus? So what is better at high / full focus? Casting Steady Shot or unbuffed Arcane Shot?

2.) You recommend Mastery enchantments and bufffood. Why no Mastery Sockets?

On 12/11/2018 at 7:31 AM, Guest Roathem said:

Hey, thanks for the 8.1 update. I have 2 questions (about upcoming changes in Patch 8.1):

1.) I have 2 Steady Aim traits. Is it better to overcap focus by using Steady Aim while Aimed Shot / Rapid Fire is on cooldown? Or should I use unbuffed Arcane Shots to waste my focus? So what is better at high / full focus? Casting Steady Shot or unbuffed Arcane Shot?

I think the best way is to change your azerit-traits and then use the recommended priority. That would mean you cast unbuffed arcane shots. Arcane shots dmg has been increased by 25%, so i think its not worth to cast steady shot anymore outside of focus generation. (I did not do any math behind that statement!).

I got another small issue: in the azrite-section (chapter 5.1) is written "... if you are comparing an extremely bad trait (Blood Rite IconBlood Rite) to an extremely good one (Steady Aim IconSteady Aim). ..." As i understood, steady aim is not worth anymore (it's not listed anymore in chapter 5.2.2.).

Guest kittybleu

gale-force striking is still best? Raidbots is telling me to use incendiary ammunition..........

14 hours ago, Guest kittybleu said:

gale-force striking is still best? Raidbots is telling me to use incendiary ammunition..........

Gale-Force scales with your gear, so with higher ilevels it will eventually outpace Incendiary Ammunition. The difference shouldn't be too big either way though.

Guest WIZHIM

hi was looking at the azerite traits and was just wondering where steady aim fits in , is it so undesirable to not warrant a mention apart from opening narrative 

On 1/26/2019 at 5:48 PM, Guest WIZHIM said:

hi was looking at the azerite traits and was just wondering where steady aim fits in , is it so undesirable to not warrant a mention apart from opening narrative 

It's shown as being one of the worst traits for ST and AoE on the Bloodmallet sims.

Guest zbaji

@Azortharion Hi, got Galecaller's Boon trinket, should i use it on cd or delay it and use only with trueshot? Also how simcrafts are using it to calculate dmg?

On 2/15/2019 at 2:11 AM, Guest zbaji said:

@Azortharion Hi, got Galecaller's Boon trinket, should i use it on cd or delay it and use only with trueshot? Also how simcrafts are using it to calculate dmg?

From Azor:

• Delay and use it with Trueshot only. With Unerring Vision, you get bonus points for using it when there's 10 sec left on Trueshot to perfectly overlap with the strongest part of it.
  • Unerring Vision is an Azerite Trait that builds stacking Critical Strike over Trueshot's duration.
  • One of the best ones and very popular/common.

Hope this helps.

@Azortharion and everyone who might have some insight. To use Double Tap with Rapid Fire, outside of Careful Aim, I sometimes have to delay the use of Double Tap because I need to avoid Aimed Shot hitting two stacks before my next Rapid Fire comes off CD. I feel like this means I might get one less use of Double Tap if this happens a few or more times in a fight. Should I just use Double Tap for Aimed Shot in this situation so I can get it back on CD ASAP, or actually delay the Double Tap until I know my next cast will be Rapid Fire over Aimed Shot?

16 hours ago, Sharknad0 said:

@Azortharion and everyone who might have some insight. To use Double Tap with Rapid Fire, outside of Careful Aim, I sometimes have to delay the use of Double Tap because I need to avoid Aimed Shot hitting two stacks before my next Rapid Fire comes off CD. I feel like this means I might get one less use of Double Tap if this happens a few or more times in a fight. Should I just use Double Tap for Aimed Shot in this situation so I can get it back on CD ASAP, or actually delay the Double Tap until I know my next cast will be Rapid Fire over Aimed Shot?

From Azor:

Delaying Double Tap is fine as its cooldown is pretty long. Delaying RF for DT (the other way around) is a no-go, as RF's CD is much shorter and you will lose In the Rhythm uptime/Focus regeneration by not casting it directly on cooldown every time. With Surging Shots it becomes less of an issue since Aimed will sometimes reset RF's cd.

Hope this helps!

Guest kittybleu

how much are gem sockets worth? (yes I use raidbots, I'm just trying to decide which is better, stats or overall item level, since my socketed 400 bracers are my lowest item)  Seems to be about 20 ilvl difference for a non-socketed item to be better?

You can use RaidBots to sim it with the "Top Gear" option. Simply select the two bracers you want to compare, and be sure to select the correct enchant below and check the "Replace Existing Gems/Enchants" checkbox. That way you do not have to spend gold to make the comparison.

You can also work out a socket's value for you by doing a simple stat weights run and multiplying your Mastery weight by 40 to get a DPS number.

Different items have different iLvl budgets. Leg items gain more with +5 iLvl than Bracer items.

So on Cloaks/Bracers/Rings (lowest budgets), sockets are worth 10-20 iLvl (rough numbers as it varies by character and also the secondaries on the items).

Gloves/Belts/Boots gain a bit more than Cloaks/Bracers with iLvl.

Legs/Trinkets gain a bit more than Gloves/Belts/Boots with iLvl.

And weapons (generally) gain most of all with iLvl.

So it depends what item we're talking about. But it should generally just be simmed, saves all the hassle of manually working it out.

Guest kittybleu

thanks for the detailed reply ? 

I do use raidbots, all the time (best thing ever) but I like to know what things are worth so I can roll on loot up for grabs in my guild without making people wait on me simming.

another question, is the kul tiran cannonball trinket only good for stats? I can't tell if the special effect actually hits anything

(just got a 420 socketed one, simming nearly even with my 410 spyglass, but if proc doesnt hit anything is it worth it?)

The Cannonball Trinket just isn't good at all. Pretty much all Trinkets have the same stats (a chunk of Agility), it's only the proc that differentiaties them, and in this regard the Cannonball is horrible. Keep your Spyglass

Guest kittybleu

thanks again ? just scrapped the cannonball (I used it for a couple bosses and couldn't even find any damage from it in logs lol)

looking forward to the 8.2 guide updates!

Guest kittybleu

Are the LW crafted boots/pants worth farming for? (440 w/socket) I tried using the gear compare on raidbots but since I don't actually have a piece to use it just sims the name without any secondary stats at all..............

The Gear Compare lets you pick the stats you want on the item, or should. LW/JC are by far the best proffs and at least the legs are worth crafting. The boots are a bit borderline because of Benthic Boots.

Guest kittybleu

thanks!  maybe i missed the stats option. Once i get the unlocks and mats I'll aim for the pants first ?

Guest kittybleu

any tips on the best use of the razor coral trinket would be most appreciated ? , as would use of essences, especially as pertaining to openers (i've been running the concentrated flame one as its my best atm, and hitting it right before trueshot on the opener...then using on cd or on priority adds if its up)

also, vers gems but still mastery food?

Guest Roathem

Why do you recommend Versality > all? At first glance mastery is a better dps stat. But at the moment, simulating my stat weights, versality is also my (second) best stat. But I can not understand why it is not Mastery > Versality. Is there a mastery cap? Do it not scale linear? When Versality is the better stat then I should also use versality food, do I?