FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Frost Mage 8.3

6 hours ago, Guest zxccxz said:

Hey Kuni can you share ur Evilui?

I don't use it. The ElvUI recommendation is a generic site-wide one.

I know many people love it dearly, but I simply play with mostly default frames with CT_Bar, as I have since vanilla.

Guest Guest aaryl

In section 4: how to sim yourself.  I think you should alter the first sentence. Whenever someone tells me I am not playing my class correctly I lose any interest or respect for what they are saying. Simming is fine to optimise a character but please do not tell me my decisions are not correct. By saying I am not playing correctly, I read it as "I'm not playing the way you think I should " 

Guest GuestLuck
On 8/21/2018 at 10:13 PM, Guest Guest aaryl said:

In section 4: how to sim yourself.  I think you should alter the first sentence. Whenever someone tells me I am not playing my class correctly I lose any interest or respect for what they are saying. Simming is fine to optimise a character but please do not tell me my decisions are not correct. By saying I am not playing correctly, I read it as "I'm not playing the way you think I should " 

That sounds like a personal problem, honestly.

Okay something im not 100% sure about with the GS build.

Lets say i have a GS prep'd (5 icicles) and i am spamming FB without getting any BF procs, then all of a sudden i'm 0.3 seconds into my next FB cast when i get a BF proc, is it normal that i would then move, to cancel this FB i'm casting, to then go right into GS>FL>Lance ?

The way i see it is, if i dont cancel that FB, i will munch a BF proc.

And if i do cancel it, it feels weird, gameplay wise, but i avoid munching the BF proc.

I almost feel myself wanting to pre-cast GS after every FB(while on 5 icicles) just to hope that the FB i last cast will proc BF, then i can go straight into the GS>FL>Lance.

The otherway that i can see it being played differently is to ONLY use GS after i basically get 2 BF procs in a row

So like FB>FB>FB>*BF Procs*>FB>Flurry>Lance>(the FB that i just casted proc'd BF) >GS>Flurry>Lance

4 hours ago, Saffina said:

Okay something im not 100% sure about with the GS build.

I actually posted about this back a page, over here:

But the added complexity for the incredibly minor gain just isn't worth it for the vast majority of players. I don't even think top players will be doing it.

I really should add that to the FAQ page.

Kuni,

Could you please explain why in the section where you talk about rotation and casting priorities, Mirror Image is mentioned multiple times yet on the talents section you say we shouldn't spec into it. I notice you yourself are not specced into it. Just a bit confusing for those of us new to frost and following this guide to try to maximize our DPS. ? Thanks!

Guest Guest123

Hey I got Leyshocks off a mob and wondering whats your opinion it? Should I sell it (around 140k on my server) or equip it. I bought tidemoon deck squalls and felt a little underwhelmed by its damage.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:14 PM, SleepyMage said:

Kuni,

Could you please explain why in the section where you talk about rotation and casting priorities, Mirror Image is mentioned multiple times yet on the talents section you say we shouldn't spec into it. I notice you yourself are not specced into it. Just a bit confusing for those of us new to frost and following this guide to try to maximize our DPS. ? Thanks!

It's stated that you use them if talented for. Basically I have to consider people who want to run talents that are suboptimal yet may be more fun for them, so everything is explicitly listed out where it should be. It's up to the reader to acknowledge that they're not talented for that spell, and ignore that line.

15 hours ago, Guest Guest123 said:

Hey I got Leyshocks off a mob and wondering whats your opinion it? Should I sell it (around 140k on my server) or equip it. I bought tidemoon deck squalls and felt a little underwhelmed by its damage.

Slight damage buff vs gold. That's a personal call.

Guest Nacho

Is potion of rising death really the best option, I thought the intellect one would be like every other caster...

On 8/31/2018 at 9:10 AM, Guest Nacho said:

Is potion of rising death really the best option, I thought the intellect one would be like every other caster...

I've pushed an update, but Rising Death is best single target. Basically it's Haste-scaled RPPM, and Frost has massive Haste multipliers through IV+TW.

Guest Frosties

Hello there, thanks for your work so far !

I got two question for you :

First, how do you mesure the impact of azerith trait in your list ? Is it modified by how many stack of them we can get ?

For an example lets take Dagger in the back :

With one stack i did find its damage very disapointing especially when compared to one Thunderous Blast. However i find out that two stack of Dagger in the back made it way more powerfull so i can only imagine its damage grow exponentially.

Can you help us sort this out ?

Second, are you gonna update this guide for the release of Uldir ?

Thank you !

1 hour ago, Guest Steve said:

Will you be adding a BiS gear list from the raid?

Nope. The warforge/titanforge system basically throws any form of BiS list out the window. I'm in the middle of adding Bloodmallet's Azerite charts to the gear page, however. The rest of your gear options should be checked in simulation. Given personal loot actually drops the item into your bag, the SimC addon combined with Raidbots' Top Gear option makes it incredibly easy to find out what is actually an upgrade, and by how much.

9 minutes ago, Guest Frosties said:

Hello there, thanks for your work so far !

I got two question for you :

First, how do you mesure the impact of azerith trait in your list ? Is it modified by how many stack of them we can get ?

For an example lets take Dagger in the back :

With one stack i did find its damage very disapointing especially when compared to one Thunderous Blast. However i find out that two stack of Dagger in the back made it way more powerfull so i can only imagine its damage grow exponentially.

Can you help us sort this out ?

Second, are you gonna update this guide for the release of Uldir ?

Thank you !

I've gone and added Bloodmallet charts for Azerite traits, showing relative power when stacked 1/2/3 times. Since they update with every release of SimulationCraft, the chart should be up to date without manual editing with regards to hotfix changes made to each trait.

Yes, the guide will be updated for Uldir, and then updated where appropriate for Mythic mechanics once I get into actually doing the fights.

Guest Guest Salo

Is anyone actually hitting the 33% crit cap as a frost mage? I'm 344 ilvl and i have 952 crit rating, im currently at 17.98% crit chance with no buffs/food buffs

On 9/5/2018 at 6:51 AM, Guest Guest Salo said:

Is anyone actually hitting the 33% crit cap as a frost mage? I'm 344 ilvl and i have 952 crit rating, im currently at 17.98% crit chance with no buffs/food buffs

Not at this point. We probably have to wait for the next raid content.

With Uldir out I was finally able to put myself to the test with the frost spec but in these boss encounters I find Brain Freeze to rarely proc when I need it. Whenever I have 3 icicles I try to sit on it to cast my glacial spike with my flurry and it's fine but most of the time I find myself just sitting on my 5 icicles because Brain Freeze doesn't proc and Ebonbolt is in cooldown, sometimes casting 6 or 7 more frostbolt before a proc.

Should I just cast my Glacial Spike without a Brain Freeze in this kind of situation ?

Edited by Drekal

9 hours ago, Drekal said:

Should I just cast my Glacial Spike without a Brain Freeze in this kind of situation ?

No.

• Thanks 1

Guest Nima

Hi,

I used Lonely Winter build before, so I'm not exactly sure what to do with the Water Elemental now that we have it back with Bone Chilling. Where do the Elemental abilities go in the spell priority list? Do we actively manage what the Elemental is casting?

Guest Grey

In the rotation section casting a flurry with brainfreeze right after a frostbolt has a higher priority than casting ice lance while fingers of frost is active. On the other hand casting icelance after each flurry has the highest priority. But seeing as it often happen that you would have fingers of frost and brainfreeze active simultaneously, specially when frozen orb is up for example. In these situations using the brainfreeze flurry right after the frostbolt and next in highest priority the icelance right after that flurry would consume the fingers of frost while the debuff from flurry is still active. Wouldn't it be smarter in this situation to frostbolt->icelance(shatter from FoF)->instant flurry-> icelance(shatter from flurry debuff). The loss would be the shatter for that initial frostbolt we were casting, but an icelance would definitely be more damage to be buffed by shatter.

Why Torrent of Elements over any Navigation weapon enchant? Is it just a general guideline, since it works regardless of one's personal stat weights or is there some hidden reason behind it?
Cause other than that, Navigation ones always seem to result in higher DPS both in simulations and in-game, at least for me.

12 hours ago, Guest Nima said:

Hi,

I used Lonely Winter build before, so I'm not exactly sure what to do with the Water Elemental now that we have it back with Bone Chilling. Where do the Elemental abilities go in the spell priority list? Do we actively manage what the Elemental is casting?

Freeze can be cast on trash mobs if you've dropped Comet Storm and they're actively falling, or if you have a Glacial Spike ready against trash mobs but no Brain Freeze, but other than that it's purely utility and passive damage. As long as it's attacking, you're fine.

12 hours ago, Guest Grey said:

Wouldn't it be smarter in this situation to frostbolt->icelance(shatter from FoF)->instant flurry-> icelance(shatter from flurry debuff).

I couldn't get the logic quite right but this reduced the Winter's Chill+FoF waste from almost 5 to 1.6, and is still a loss. Honestly your logic is right, but it continues to work out best this way around. I'm not sure if it's extra Brain Freeze proc chances over the course of a fight, or extra Icicle generation, but it just doesn't work out trying to not munch Fingers of Frost.

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/k48tARJuWKTZjWAJZqcWVP

8 hours ago, Josserhamon said:

Why Torrent of Elements over any Navigation weapon enchant? Is it just a general guideline, since it works regardless of one's personal stat weights or is there some hidden reason behind it?
Cause other than that, Navigation ones always seem to result in higher DPS both in simulations and in-game, at least for me.

It keeps trading back and forth at various gear points. We finalized the sim profile using Torrent, and the practical difference is tiny. Torrent is also better for Orb's damage during AoE, where Haste procs tend to mess with Blizzard ticks in undesirable ways.

Here's T22 mythic single target, with an error range of 8.4 DPS:

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/vquVdykQvzSqJe67v7p6RQ

And myself with an error range of 6.1:

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/8QbZ3ZnPcF8YrWWBVt5X1x

3 hours ago, Vyro said:

on which mythic + key difficulty would you actually switch to Splitting Ice ?

I started it on 10, since we were routinely CCing Infested mobs, leaving us with a lot of 2-3 mob packs instead of 4-5. I'm also noticing I'd probably change it up depending on dungeon. King's Rest doesn't have all that much mass AoE (and even fewer of that can be frozen), but a fair amount of 2-3 target pulls, in addition to the final boss having a significant amount of cleave time. Compare that to say, Tol Dagor, a dungeon with abundant amounts trash that can be pulled in groups, and all of it vulnerable to being frozen.

That said, my group is usually fairly high AoE, and the loss of that burst is offset by having other specs that can keep up or even beat me on any given large pull. I want to throw up some talent suggestions on a per-dungeon basis eventually, but I want to see how things shake out with other affixes, given necrotic is necessitating an absurd amount of kiting by my tank.

Guest raoul

SO I dont know what is up with my pawn. playing as a frost mage whenever I get a gear with Vers It will always show up as the highest % upgrade. THis is wrong? Am i not supposed to get crit/haste/mast?

Guest Bruwh

Engineer goggles having 2 Overwhelming Power, whats going on? BS or something new coming?