FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Brewmaster Monk 8.3

Guest Grey

Hey, just found a little typo in the general informations tab.

• The amount of damage you Stagger Icon Stagger is now based on your agility, meaning the better your gear is the less up-front damage you will take. Magic stagger has been lowered from 40% of base stagger to 25%, as part of a series of changes to make ALL tanks more vulnerable to magic damage.

in the text it says that the magic base stagger now is 25% but it is at 35%, taken from ingame tooltip and the one within that same piece of text.
Feel free to just delete my comment as soon as that's fixed. Thanks for writing the guide!

Guest Bunb

This guide needs to be written by someone else who cares.

It's a mess in general and there are numerous inconsistencies. For example, the tank for Limit prioritizes haste yet this guide states that it's the worst. If the author can't even get something simple like stat weightings right, the rest is probably wrong. 

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/illidan/Rizzyn

The prot warrior class guide is so much more robust and accurate by comparison.

@Grey: Thanks! Will get fixed soon.

@Bunb: Hi. Haste provides a low amount of extra purifies and no additional benefits for tanking (unless you count EoTT tickrate increase??)- see this spreadsheet for haste values. There's also questions about the utility of additional purifies I guess, depending on the fight- for Fetid Devourer it gains a lot of value because every purify is high value, but the rest are... whatever (and I do mention that haste is better on FD in the Uldir section). For DPS it's very easy to check that haste is about half the value of other stats.

As to why the Limit tanks are stacking haste, I have no idea. Maybe they like having it, which IMO is a good reason. Maybe on Mythic G'huun it is also high value (I'm skeptical but I've not done it). Maybe they gemmed and enchanted for haste for FD and then couldn't be bothered to change back. Maybe they don't know about the fault in simcraft with haste. Maybe they don't know the best stats! Top raiders aren't immune to mistakes- especially in tanking where your play and healers matter SIGNIFICANTLY more than your stats. Hell, they could leave stuff ungemmed and enchanted and probably still kill bosses. 

I ask that you check both wowhead and Peak of Serenity, whose guides agree with my stat rankings for Brewmaster. If there are any other mistakes feel free to point them out. 

Guest Zanpao
4 hours ago, quotey said:

@Grey: Thanks! Will get fixed soon.

@Bunb: Hi. Haste provides a low amount of extra purifies and no additional benefits for tanking (unless you count EoTT tickrate increase??)- see this spreadsheet for haste values. There's also questions about the utility of additional purifies I guess, depending on the fight- for Fetid Devourer it gains a lot of value because every purify is high value, but the rest are... whatever (and I do mention that haste is better on FD in the Uldir section). For DPS it's very easy to check that haste is about half the value of other stats.

As to why the Limit tanks are stacking haste, I have no idea. Maybe they like having it, which IMO is a good reason. Maybe on Mythic G'huun it is also high value (I'm skeptical but I've not done it). Maybe they gemmed and enchanted for haste for FD and then couldn't be bothered to change back. Maybe they don't know about the fault in simcraft with haste. Maybe they don't know the best stats! Top raiders aren't immune to mistakes- especially in tanking where your play and healers matter SIGNIFICANTLY more than your stats. Hell, they could leave stuff ungemmed and enchanted and probably still kill bosses. 

I ask that you check both wowhead and Peak of Serenity, whose guides agree with my stat rankings for Brewmaster. If there are any other mistakes feel free to point them out. 

Hi, there are some error on skill descriptions.

Healing Elixir no longer proc on its own.

Using multiple loads of Ironskin Brew no longer accumulates.

Hi. I've fixed the healing elixir error (I so rarely use it I hadn't noticed- I wonder why they changed that). Re Ironskin, it can be used in succession to add time to the buff- up to 3 times the base duration (21 seconds at the moment). I've made this a little more clear. If I still somehow have that it can be stacked indefinitely please say where I've not sorted that! Thanks very much for your help. 

I've pushed an update fixing some grammatical errors, an update to the talents page and reordering some stuff. A larger section on trinkets and azerite gear is coming soon, as I feel the current gear page is a little unsatisfactory and the situational azerite traits aren't properly showcased.

Guest Grey

Heya, under the "5. Mastering Your Brewmaster Monk" section it says:

5.2. Mastery: Elusive Brawler

Your Mastery: Elusive Brawler Icon Mastery: Elusive Brawler grants you a stacking buff that increases your chance to dodge, which lasts until the next time you dodge. Blackout Strike Icon Blackout Strike and Breath of Fire Icon Breath of Fire will also provide stacks for each target hit.

I am a little confused about that last part about Breath of Fire providing stacks for the mastery buff? I can't find any talent or azerite trait for this and it does not function that way for my monk ingame either, Blackout Strikes and being hit do apply stacks as mentioned however. Is this an old mechanic? (I'm playing my first monk, currently lvl 81)

Guest Drunken Party Girl

hi I play Brewmaster for Mythic  + and was wondering about Blackout combo.  for aoe will tiger palm always better better than Breath of Fire?  what should I do here if I fight say 8 mobs?  Black out Strike > Tiger Pam > Keg smash > Black out Strike > Tiger Palm > Breath of fire? 

So I have a question about brewmaster. I am leveling one atm and he is currently  66. During dungeons I am finding it very difficult to stay alive. Wether it be on trash pulls, or even some boss fights. My question is, I am doing everything I'm suppose to help me stay alive and for the heals to keep me up. I don't pull big and I pull trash, and bosses out of bad. Are we just this squishy during this lvl'n period? or am I doing something wrong? or are healers not familiar with how stagger works? or just bad healers? I keep ISB(iron skin brew) up at all times and I even purify yellow stagger to help the healers, I can't even to begin to think what a red stagger would do to me at this stage of leveling lol. I always have enough chi to keg smash, I am just lost. 

I love brewmaster and its the only tank that I have found engaging and fun. it makes you think and its the sole reason I wanna tank. This is very frustrating atm, cause if I can't figure this out I will just give up on the idea of me being a tank and go back to dps'n. Cause when I pick up a class I want to be the best at it, not just okay or mediocre at something. But to be the very best. and not understanding what is going on atm with this is troubling. If its just the scaling I can get over it but the struggle is real currently lol. any help on the matter will truly be appreciated.

Edited by L0b0
forgot a word

18 hours ago, L0b0 said:

So I have a question about brewmaster.

No, sadly until you get to high, maybe even max levels Brewmaster doesn't really work all that well. At 66 you don't have access to:

• 75 talents Bob and Weave or Healing Elixirs- HE should provide you with a very welcome boost I think.
  • 90 talent Rushing Jade Wind, which will be a huge dps increase for you- obviously you take less damage if you're able to kill the trash fast
  • Celestial Fortune, which boosts your healing received significantly.
  • Mastery: Elusive Brawler. At max level you dodge a massive amount as brewmaster- I just looked at a dungeon I did, and I dodged 50% of all melee attacks. You're probably dodging a loooot less than that.

There also might be some weird problems with stagger/armor scaling, levelling often gets left behind when blizzard does max level balancing, but that's just speculation.

You say you're keeping ISB up and Purifying your stagger, and that's most of what you can do. There's also kiting when you're getting really screwed. One thing you can do is take Summon Black Ox Statue and use it to tank- until max level it's probably a lot tankier than a Brewmaster ?

Brewmaster is a LOT more rewarding and playable at max level- stick at it. You might want to consider just levelling as windwalker for a while if you're not enjoying it.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:21 AM, Guest Drunken Party Girl said:

hi I play Brewmaster for Mythic  + and was wondering about Blackout combo.  for aoe will tiger palm always better better than Breath of Fire?  what should I do here if I fight say 8 mobs?  Black out Strike > Tiger Pam > Keg smash > Black out Strike > Tiger Palm > Breath of fire? 

Sorry for the late reply! Tiger Palm will almost always be better, since the cooldown reduction is so low. For BoF-Combo to be better you'd have to have a pull of 6ish mobs for over a minute (so you get an extra breath of fire you wouldn't have gotten otherwise) which I'm not sure even happens. Even then the difference would be small if it exists.

If you like to play Blackout Combo and are comfortable with survivability, check out the Pressure Point azerite trait. You have to spec windwalker to select it but it works for Brewmaster and the TP damage boost gets increased by combo. In fact, if you don't have the PP trait it's kind of questionable whether BoC even is a DPS increase, sadly.

I also remember being especially squishy levelling my Brewmaster after they did the scaling changes. I even took a break and levelled a whole other character during Cata content, because I just wasn't able to survive. I definitely think it's worth it, and once you hit Legion content, everything gets smoother. (With Draenor content, it's hard to tell, because I was just doing treasures.)

''Haste increases your Energy regeneration rate and lowers the cooldown on your auto attacks, Rushing Jade Wind Icon Rushing Jade Wind, and Keg Smash Icon Keg Smash, which indirectly boosts our survivability and damage output.

But then they write ''try to avoid haste''.

This guide makes no sense at all.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:17 AM, Rudy199 said:

''Haste increases your Energy regeneration rate and lowers the cooldown on your auto attacks, Rushing Jade Wind Icon Rushing Jade Wind, and Keg Smash Icon Keg Smash, which indirectly boosts our survivability and damage output.

It boosts survivability and damage output, but just not as much as the other stats.

On 2/2/2019 at 12:17 PM, Rudy199 said:

As was said above, Haste does these things, but that doesn't mean it has more of an overall impact than other stats. 

Does leech play any part at all? I have a ring with leech, and recently got a ring 15 ilvls higher without leech. Leech or higher ilvl?

Edited by johano3012

On 3/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, johano3012 said:

Does leech play any part at all? I have a ring with leech, and recently got a ring 15 ilvls higher without leech. Leech or higher ilvl?

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, messed up my email settings I think. Go for the itemlevel, the additional stamina will usually be more than leech will heal throughout a fight. Thanks for pointing out it's not in there too, adding that and avoidance to stats for the next update. Even 5 ilvls.

You didn't ask, but avoidance is an excellent stat on some fights and dungeons- if you're going to be taking AOE damage it should be worth about 5-10.

Hey, saw that the 2.1.6. Normalized Stagger section states Rivers' Normalized Stagger weakaura requires the BrewmasterTools addon.  This is no longer the case ?

On 3/28/2019 at 6:40 PM, RetroZelda said:

Hey, saw that the 2.1.6. Normalized Stagger section states Rivers' Normalized Stagger weakaura requires the BrewmasterTools addon.  This is no longer the case ?

Will get it fixed, thanks!

Guest Sev

"You can use Stampeding Roar Icon Stampeding Roar during the intermission to boost the raid's movement speed down the ramp." listed under Orgozoa section of Eternal Palace tips, seems to be lifted from the Guardian Druid guide from this boss, Brewmaster does not have this ability