FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Windwalker Monk 8.3

Thanks for the heads up, will fix the best in slot gear.

For what it's worth, you want to aim for the Mantle of Fastidious Machinations from Yazma in Atal'Dazar as your best in slot, pre raid azerite item. They grant the swift roundhouse trait. For AoE, the Tentacle-Laced Spaulders from Vol'zith in shrine of the storm will grant you Iron Fists, which is an extremely strong trait on 4 targets and above.

I will fix touch of death, thank you.

@Guest Sky: stat priority depends on the stats you have. The more you have of one stat, the more attractive the other stats get. Basically it comes down to 2x2 is greater than 1x3: since these stats usually multiply one another, the best balance is often to have a mix of them, favorizing the most attractive one. Therefore I highly encourage tuning stats for yourself, in particular with the use of simulations (www.raidbots.com does a great job at that).

As to why versatility is such a great stat for us when most classes are dropping it? Well, right now in a single target fight, Touch of Karma is more than 10% of your damage. These 10% benefit from Versatility, but not from Haste, Critical chance or Mastery. This is an important part of why versatility is so strong for us right now.
Furthermore, if you run serenity, which is currently (in simulations) our strongest level 100 talent, in combination with the swift roundhouse trait (our strongest talent with serenity, even post nerfs), then your serenity rotation goes Blackout Kick x2 -> Rising Sun Kick repeated, which downgrades haste and mastery a LOT.

Hope this clears this question a bit.

Guest Uraciouse

How would you rate stat priority if I'm running Whirling Dragon Punch, at least one Swift Roundhouse, Rushing Jade Wind and I'm saving Touch of Karma for use as a defensive cooldown?

Would I be right in saying Haste takes first priority?

That's a pretty specific question. If you're running Rushing Jade Wind you're likely not thinking about single target content optimization which changes thigns as well.
It is true that Touch of Karma not benefiting from haste (or crit, or mastery) does bring these stats down in comparison to versatility. It is true as well that serenity brings down the value of haste and mastery even further. However I cannot tell you for sure the stat priotity for every talent combination and in game situation; you will have to use sims for that. You can edit the percent of Karma shield being used easily in the APL to match any efficiency value you wish to experience.
I don't think haste would necessarily take priority. However it is worth noting its good interaction with Rushing Jade Wind (increases the tick rate without increasing the energy cost), but Rushing Jade Wind is not a significant part of your single target rotation, specially when running Whirling Dragon Punch.

Guest Senryu

So....what's the new most desiderable trat for WW, now that Swift Roundhouse has been nerfed HEAVILY?

Guest Kyo
On 9/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, Guest Senryu said:

So....what's the new most desiderable trat for WW, now that Swift Roundhouse has been nerfed HEAVILY?

I, too, am wondering this. I assume Swift Roundhouse goes way down the list and #2 and #3 get moved up a slot. I'm currently running with Meridian Strikes. It's an attempt to get me out of my old mind set of using Touch of Death as a finisher and instead working it into my rotation frequently. Definitely have had a DPS increase.

Guest Poussemagik

Now Open palm Strikes is the best trait to take. If you are raider I suggest you to take one Meridian strikes, one archives of the Titan and one Open Palm Strikes.

Open Palm Strike is indeed the best all around trait. It is easily the strongest for mythic +.

However, for raiding, it's worth keeping in mind that going for Meridian Strike can be very strong on specific kill timers, and that having access to Reorigination Array is stronger than stacking other traits.

The current easiest to access set up for azerite in raids is to use the Helm from Vectis (Open Palm Strike), the shoulders from Zul (Meridian Strikes) and either chests from Uldir to have access to reorigination array.

It is hard to answer this question perfectly however as azerite are not very easily accessible at a high item level and some people could have access to more of specific traits thanks to PvP or weekly dungeon caches.

In the Azerite traits and Armor section, Strength of Spirit say's it causes Fortifying Brew to heal you every second it's active, but in game it says Touch Of Karma does that not Fortifying Brew.

Edited by TheSonicX

Guest Roguerzz

Looking for a good opener for WW. Most guides are confusing to say the least. 

Guest Monkier

In the section 8 Boss by Boss point 2 description states it is for a Rogue not Monk (2. Subtlety Rogue in Uldir)

Guest Karnae

The trinket "Bloodthirsty Urchin" is a tank trinket. Is the intended one "Ashvanes Razor Coral"?

Guest Darith

The essences section needs a rework, it is really confusing, the Minor essence section is labelled as major, and in the list for minor essences, worldvein is listed twice at hugely different values, very confusing and very unclear.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:14 AM, Guest Darith said:

The essences section needs a rework, it is really confusing, the Minor essence section is labelled as major, and in the list for minor essences, worldvein is listed twice at hugely different values, very confusing and very unclear.

I'll change the title of the Essence rankings, sorry about that! In terms of Worldvein, it is because it is a minor ranking, meaning Lifeblood is being ranked - the ranking changes depending on the number of other people using the same essence.

Guest Adrian

Guide says:

Ascension Icon Ascension increases your maximum Chi by 1 and your Energy regeneration by 10%. It is not worth using in any scenario currently.

...and then recommends it as one of the two good choices for that tier. Was the last comment supposed to apply to the other (not recommended) talent (Elixir)?

Hi, ok trying the WW Monk (I have an old 105, just sitting there), Came to this guide to get updates but I found the below to be confusing -

Energizing Elixir is an active ability with a 1-minute cool down. It instantly restores all of your Energy and Chi.
Ascension increases your maximum Chi by 1 and your Energy regeneration by 10%. It is not worth using in any scenario currently.
Fist of the White Tiger gives you a strong Chi builder with a good damage component.

Fist of the White Tiger and Ascension are the strongest choices in this row for all situations. Fist of the White Tiger is by default the best option, however with the Azerite Essence Conflict and Strife, your resource management becomes harder and Ascension becomes the better option.

My question is If Ascension is not worth taking, why are you saying in the conclusion paragraph that it becomes the better option?  It seems to me, it has to be worth something.  And I see someone else has the same question about this.  Thank you.

Edited by Guest

Guest Wyr3d

Under Builds and Talents you contradict yourself in Tier 3, regarding the talent Ascension. Given that you state  Ascension is "one of the strongest" in the summary, I can only assume the second sentence in the brief description was meant for Energizing Elixir, which is only described, and is meh at best.

• Ascension Icon Ascension increases your maximum Chi by 1 and your Energy regeneration by 10%. It is not worth using in any scenario currently

Fist of the White Tiger Icon Fist of the White Tiger and Ascension Icon Ascension are the strongest choices in this row for all situations. Fist of the White Tiger is by default the best option, however with the Azerite Essence Conflict and Strife, your resource management becomes harder and Ascension becomes the better option.

Under the Easy mode section, it states to get Ascension and Hit Combo, yet in the rotation you want to use Fist of the White Tiger and Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger.  Can't exactly use either ability in the rotation if Ascension is being grabbed over Fist of the White Tiger, and Hit Combo over Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger.

Guest bliss_12345

A question about essences, currently my major is bote and minors breath of the dying, conflict and strife and condensed life force. I simmed and this combo gives me 1k more dps than others, however someone told me that condensed life force minor is "pretty bad" without even telling me why... Can you please tell me why and what minor I should use instead if it is so abhorrent?

On 6/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, Kafaerus said:

Under the Easy mode section, it states to get Ascension and Hit Combo, yet in the rotation you want to use Fist of the White Tiger and Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger.  Can't exactly use either ability in the rotation if Ascension is being grabbed over Fist of the White Tiger, and Hit Combo over Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger.

Hi!
That is true, however there are cases where you will want to spec into different talents. Hit Combo is better than Invoke Xuen over a long fight, however if you want to do more damage on a specific 20 seconds timing, Xuen will definitely be better for instance. In such cases, this is where you would use it in the rotation.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:00 AM, Guest Wyr3d said:

Under Builds and Talents you contradict yourself in Tier 3, regarding the talent Ascension. Given that you state  Ascension is "one of the strongest" in the summary, I can only assume the second sentence in the brief description was meant for Energizing Elixir, which is only described, and is meh at best.

• Ascension Icon Ascension increases your maximum Chi by 1 and your Energy regeneration by 10%. It is not worth using in any scenario currently

Fist of the White Tiger Icon Fist of the White Tiger and Ascension Icon Ascension are the strongest choices in this row for all situations. Fist of the White Tiger is by default the best option, however with the Azerite Essence Conflict and Strife, your resource management becomes harder and Ascension becomes the better option.

True, correcting this.

21 hours ago, Guest bliss_12345 said:

A question about essences, currently my major is bote and minors breath of the dying, conflict and strife and condensed life force. I simmed and this combo gives me 1k more dps than others, however someone told me that condensed life force minor is "pretty bad" without even telling me why... Can you please tell me why and what minor I should use instead if it is so abhorrent?

Essences will depend a lot on what is available to you at what rank for Windwalker Monks. As for minor essences, several different are worth using, once again depending on what rank you have. Condensed life force is definitely decent for Single Target, however it is a minor essence which brings very little to anything AoE. On the other hand, stats based minor essences will allways be good to bring to any content.
I would keep Condensed Life Force for raid content if it sims highest, and would consider something else for other content. Overall, Essence of the Focusing Iris is a pretty good one at that - it is pretty simple to acquire as a rank 3 essence, and is a good minor essence that will benefit you in every scenario. If you have rank 3s, Bote major with Breath of the dying, conflict and strife and focusing iris minors is an excellent set up for every content.