FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Discipline Priest 8.3

Guest New

The body and soul, movement speed on shield, is actually hugely buffed in bfa. Shield no longer has a cool down, and mechanically is replacing plea as an instant cast damage mitigation to apply atonement.

Body and Soul's movement speed increase was given a six second internal cooldown to compensate for the fact that Power Word: Shield no longer has a cooldown.  Angelic Feather is still better because Power Word: Shield is essential to your healing and you cannot stop casting it just because you might need the speed boost shortly.  Bottom line: Body and Soul's unreliability is why it is not recommended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Benjignome

Any recommendations for best leveling legendary items? Belt I’m thinking and maybe sephulz ring?

29 minutes ago, Guest Benjignome said:

Any recommendations for best leveling legendary items? Belt I’m thinking and maybe sephulz ring?

If you are levelling as discipline you will have plenty of survivability, so you will want your legendaries to provide as much damage as possible.  Soul of the High Priest (ring) and Cord of Maev (belt) seem like good options.  Kil'Jaeden's Burning Wish might even be worth using for extra AoE damage.  

Guest Benjignome

Agreed, damage legs all the way. Agree about the belt but mixed with the other two. High priest won’t proc TF for disc unless you heal something at low hp, it doesn’t proc when mobs are in execute range per say making up time terrible. Also the trinket’s damage will be nerfed for disc like all other damage trinkets, no? Sepulz is at least a perm speed boost and reliable speed/haste boost every time you fear a mob or group of mobs. Thoughts? 

53 minutes ago, Guest Benjignome said:

Agreed, damage legs all the way. Agree about the belt but mixed with the other two. High priest won’t proc TF for disc unless you heal something at low hp, it doesn’t proc when mobs are in execute range per say making up time terrible. Also the trinket’s damage will be nerfed for disc like all other damage trinkets, no? Sepulz is at least a perm speed boost and reliable speed/haste boost every time you fear a mob or group of mobs. Thoughts? 

I think Adam might have meant Grand Army or Sephuz? I did a "ranking" of leveling legendaries that I will likely add to the guide soon (after the next couple days so I can allow for discussion in the community). The ranking I put in the Focused Will Discord is as follows:

1.) Kil'jaedens Burning Wish
2.) Sephuz's Secret
3.) Cord of Maiev, Priestess of the Moon
4.) Muze's Unwavering Will (Holy Priest bracers)
5.) Insignia of the Grand Army

KJBW is the top leveling legendary and Sephuz is probably the #2 but is likely close to the others on the list mentioned above. Hope this elaborates a bit more. ?

• Like 1

Guest Benjignome

That’s very helpful, thank-you Mend! I’m very surprised the trinket is #1, did the scaling for disc change? Reading through the forums it seems to incur a 90% damage reduction as disc... ? I guess when you have 5+ mobs that still works out to be significant or?

Just now, Guest Benjignome said:

That’s very helpful, thank-you Mend! I’m very surprised the trinket is #1, did the scaling for disc change? Reading through the forums it seems to incur a 90% damage reduction as disc... ? I guess when you have 5+ mobs that still works out to be significant or?

Yes, trinket scaling is uncapped now because they no longer provide Atonement healing. There is no longer a damage reduction on trinkets.

Guest Benjignome

Thanks so much! I just bought the KT trink, does more damage than a penance in an AOE! ? just getting back after 2 yr off, lots to learn over again!

3 hours ago, Mend said:

I think Adam might have meant Grand Army or Sephuz? I did a "ranking" of leveling legendaries that I will likely add to the guide soon (after the next couple days so I can allow for discussion in the community). The ranking I put in the Focused Will Discord is as follows:

1.) Kil'jaedens Burning Wish
2.) Sephuz's Secret
3.) Cord of Maiev, Priestess of the Moon
4.) Muze's Unwavering Will (Holy Priest bracers)
5.) Insignia of the Grand Army

KJBW is the top leveling legendary and Sephuz is probably the #2 but is likely close to the others on the list mentioned above. Hope this elaborates a bit more. ?

I defer to the Disc Priest expert on this one.  ?  My thoughts were only reasonable guesses.  I thought having Twist of Fate from Soul of the High Priest would be a decent option,  Sephuz is a great option that I actually didn't consider since you will spend a large portion of its internal cooldown moving between mobs.  Ah well, 2/3 isn't bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adamselene said:

I defer to the Disc Priest expert on this one.  ?  My thoughts were only reasonable guesses.  I thought having Twist of Fate from Soul of the High Priest would be a decent option,  Sephuz is a great option that I actually didn't consider since you will spend a large portion of its internal cooldown moving between mobs.  Ah well, 2/3 isn't bad.

❤️ Don't feel bad my man, you did well in my absence!

• Like 1

Guest Nellypriest

Is there any idea as to why Schism had its cooldown changed from 6 to 24 seconds?  I feel like it isn't really a good choice anymore even to buff holy damage. Feels like I am just face smashing smite now.

2 hours ago, Guest Nellypriest said:

Is there any idea as to why Schism had its cooldown changed from 6 to 24 seconds?  I feel like it isn't really a good choice anymore even to buff holy damage. Feels like I am just face smashing smite now.

The changes to Schism included a substantial buff to the damage % increase as well as it lasting for a longer period of time. It's best used to strategically increase your Atonement healing during a short window (bursts). It's best to plan using it in raids in encounters that require burst healing every 30-40 seconds. Schism best combos with Solace as far as talents are concerned. A typical Schism rotation would be:

Schism > Solace > Penance > Smite filler

As far as dungeons are concerned, Schism + Solace + Sins of the Many (S/S/S build) provides a great burst of damage and actually improves your burst Atonement healing in dungeons quite a bit.

Schism in Legion had the issue of being on such a short cooldown it was hard to actually use in content outside of open world / world quests. The changes they made makes it better when its active and the cooldown is short enough you can fit it into most fights still. Hopefully this cleared some things up!

Guest Artcore

I am still confused about contrition.

In a raid isn't offensive use of penance more effective, even without schism or only 3-4 atonements up, since there are no breakpoints?

To be honest, I feel more comfortable to use schism instead of defensive penance. 

On 7/31/2018 at 1:26 PM, Guest Artcore said:

I am still confused about contrition.

In a raid isn't offensive use of penance more effective, even without schism or only 3-4 atonements up, since there are no breakpoints?

To be honest, I feel more comfortable to use schism instead of defensive penance. 

Offensive Penance is good to use if a majority of your Atonement targets need healing and no one needs a direct heal. The benefit from Contrition (if you take the talent) is that it allows you to provide direct healing to one target and still provide some Atonement healing to the other Atonement targets, making it less painful to cast Penance defensively in situations you think it will be needed. There are "breakpoints" but they are irrelevant in terms of being useful track or pay attention to. It comes down to just casting defensive or offensive Penance as you see fit. Even with Sins of the Many (what I am currently running most of the time right now) I will still defensive Penance the tank at low Atonements (2-3) since it's usually more effective than overhealing 2-3 targets.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit!

Guest Somnambulist

How exactly does Rapture work? Does it apply to shields already on your party or only to new shields? That is, do you Rapture and then spam shields around, or do you spam shields and then Rapture?

Also does Rapture snapshot the absorb amount or does it wear off after 10 seconds? For example, I Rapture then cast a PW:S. Over the 10 seconds, the shield absorbs 150% of its normal absorb. So after the 10 seconds of Rapture are up is the shield gone or do I still have another 5 seconds to absorb 150%?

Guest Eddiero
8 hours ago, Guest Somnambulist said:

How exactly does Rapture work? Does it apply to shields already on your party or only to new shields? That is, do you Rapture and then spam shields around, or do you spam shields and then Rapture?

Also does Rapture snapshot the absorb amount or does it wear off after 10 seconds? For example, I Rapture then cast a PW:S. Over the 10 seconds, the shield absorbs 150% of its normal absorb. So after the 10 seconds of Rapture are up is the shield gone or do I still have another 5 seconds to absorb 150%?

You will cast Rapture before casting your shields. Shields already on your group are not effected by rapture.

The empowered shield will last as long as PW:S lasts. You can replenish the shield during the duration of Rapture. After Rapture wears off your new shields are back to normal, but the ones still on your group stay there until PW:S runs out.

I've always been a Shadow DPS Priest but tried Discipline DPS last night in 8.0.1 Pre-patch, and I'm now sold...

Shadow had some survivability issues, DPS was great, but not living was bad. I set up my sequence and with all the self-healing and stronger shields, overcoming a weaker DPS (not by much) is easily compensated for. I took on a +1 level elite last night that I struggled with back when my Prot pali met up with him and killed him and left combat with no damage to see.

Erikr the (Now) Disc DPS Priest... (Durotan)

PS> Thanks for the guide's help...

Edited by BlackKnightDurotan
  • Like 3

Guest WowGuest

No wonder people are confused about contrition. 

"Choosing  Contrition means that you are intending to cast  Penance offensively only with  Schism and during your  Evangelism burst rotation."

Wow, really? That's what it means? I would have thought that taking contrition means that I plan to use it defensively. Am I missing something?

Guest Omnius

Why is Body and Soul in second tier talent not an option? With BfA the 6 second cooldown is gone, and PW:S has no limits at all, thus becoming a viable option IMO.

2 hours ago, Guest Omnius said:

Why is Body and Soul in second tier talent not an option? With BfA the 6 second cooldown is gone, and PW:S has no limits at all, thus becoming a viable option IMO.

There is an internal 6s CD for Body and Soul making it hard to track when you'd provide the speed boost. Worst case scenario would be applying a PW:S to someone and giving them a speed boost when they aren't expecting it causing them to potentially run off a platform, or worse yet it being on cooldown when you need to use it.. Also with the mana cost of PW:S it promotes you to cast it maybe more frequently than you should.

All-in-all, Angelic Feather is on demand and it's not gated behind casting PW:S and using a nice chunk of mana to take advantage of it.

Guest nomorefaith

what about this sins of the many talent, how does it works?

like, i get a 12% DMG and Healing increase, but everytime I put some of my teammates with my attonement, it will reduce my 12% dmg and healing by 3% for each attonement, that until my sins of the many goes down to a minimum of 3% dmg and healing increase.

so, am I suposed to never give my attonement for my teammates and have a 12% increase at dmg and heal (but then, how will I heal) 

OR, should i give attonement for all my mates and count with a 3% increase dmg and heal?

Sorry for bad english. 

luv u all

s2

I have a question regarding your explanation of Contemptuous Homily

• Contemptuous Homily Icon Contemptuous Homily increases your Penance Icon Penance damage and also extends the duration of Shadow Word: Pain Icon Shadow Word: Pain by 1 second per bolt. This trait is likely the least impactful due to the one global cooldown it saves every minute being rather lackluster.

You mentioned "one global cd saved every min". I think you misunderstood the wording there. It says extends the duration by 1 second "per bolt", not per cast. If using Castigation talent from level 15 tree, Penance ends up casting 4 bolts while channeled, or 3 if talent is not taken. Won't that make it save 3 - 4 GCDs every min and will it be useful in that case?

Or am I getting this all wrong?

9 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

I have a question regarding your explanation of Contemptuous Homily

You mentioned "one global cd saved every min". I think you misunderstood the wording there. It says extends the duration by 1 second "per bolt", not per cast. If using Castigation talent from level 15 tree, Penance ends up casting 4 bolts while channeled, or 3 if talent is not taken. Won't that make it save 3 - 4 GCDs every min and will it be useful in that case?

Or am I getting this all wrong?

So, the phrasing "1 gcd saved every minute" stems from the 1 less DoT cast per minute. Because each Penance bolt would add 1 second to your DoT, you'd essentially save one GCD of a cast you would normally have over one minutes time. 

Assuming you'd cast Penance on cooldown (which right now seems a bit less than ideal because Penance seems a bit weak... hoping they buff it otherwise the guide needs some tweaks :- /), you would cast it once every 9 seconds. That's roughly 6 Penance casts over 1 minute. If you take the seconds gained (assuming Castigation, a weaker talent than others in the tier, mind you) you would gain an extra 24 seconds of DoT time, essentially replacing one full duration DoT, thus the 1 extra GCD saved that I refer to.

Hopefully that explains it a bit better.