FORUMS
Valks

Protection Warrior 8.3

Hello !

First of all : Thank you icy veins people for the work and effort here !

To the Prot warrior guide - I had access to the Beta too now starting 2 weeks ago and i can safely say that im happy that i wasnt wrong with my thoughts about talents. I see it similar as in the descriptions here. 

One question about the Addons page

I use Omen Threat Meter since years now and never had any problems with it. I see that you recommend Basic Threat Bar here, but on curseforge it is out of date and people seem to struggle with lua-Errors since or before 7.3 in Legion.

So : How is your experience with it ?

Kuinameplates is new to me, i was using Unitframesimproved and TidyPlates before, but will give it a try. Rest looks very similar to the previous guide, but thats ok since it contains main recommendations for Prot Warrior.

All in all i want to say that it looks to me like a nice upgrade happened on this guide and really want to see how it changes for the upcoming expansion and its content there. Structure is simply understandable and many people can benefit from your guides.

Edited by Baharok
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Baharok said:

So : How is your experience with it ?

I haven't seen any major issues, but it'll all be broken as soon as pre-patch goes live, so hopefully we'll see an update to it in 8.0.1!

Guest Vid

So is Avatar gone? I can see it under specialization in game....but i cant move it to my spell bar. It is not a talent anymore....its not in my spell-book....so what is all of this talk about Avatar? Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Guest Vid said:

So is Avatar gone? I can see it under specialization in game....but i cant move it to my spell bar. It is not a talent anymore....its not in my spell-book....so what is all of this talk about Avatar? Thanks.

If you spec into Arms/Fury then back into Prot it will reappear. 

Guest Prinn

Thank you Marak! Was losing my mind over that! Pays to read the comments!

Guest joe7dust

I'm curious, why no mention of tier 20 set bonuses? I'm still using 2pc for the on demand rage and rage regen buff. It is like having a 2nd instance of Demo shout which actually gives about twice the rage total. I would assume it is worth breaking once I get 4 pc t21, but I think there's enough slots to actually have both eventually?

Guest joe7dust

I'd like to see it quantified, is there something like simulationcraft for tanks? For example my tier 21 2pc comes from LFR ilvl gear, so I guess in general I'm losing stamina/some survivability in order to have more rage.

Guest joe7dust

Actually I have just seen that the t21 2pc bonus is 5% armor, does that mean the whole set has been patched and the 4pc overtune doesn't exist anymore? I'd like to see how much ilvl its ok to drop in order to get that 5% armor. Ends up being about 0.2% damage reduction for me so I'm going to assume it is still trash but it is definitely not the shield slam thing reference in this guide.

If you have 2pc tier20 still, I cannot recommend the lego gloves in this guide. There is plenty of rage from demo/booming + berserker's/bonus-rage. I am liking the haste buff ring a lot, huge boost to haste for shield block uptime especially in 5man content if you are running the shockwave syngergy talent.

How useful is the void elfs active racial for protWars? Obviously stun removal of humans would probably serve you better more often(not to mention highmountain taurens), but are there any worthy raid tricks involving this perk? The most obvious would be pulling out the tank bombs, as well as doing some extra kiting. I was thinking of avoiding knockback/wind effects too, but warriors got charge for the winds and knockbacks usually disable you for the throw duration.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:24 AM, Diaboliko said:

How useful is the void elfs active racial for protWars? Obviously stun removal of humans would probably serve you better more often(not to mention highmountain taurens), but are there any worthy raid tricks involving this perk? The most obvious would be pulling out the tank bombs, as well as doing some extra kiting. I was thinking of avoiding knockback/wind effects too, but warriors got charge for the winds and knockbacks usually disable you for the throw duration.

The problem is, Warrior is just so mobile already that a mobility trait seems wasted on them. With intercept and leap on fairly short cooldowns, I can't see you need the VE one very often.

Did anyone test how the tank darkmoondeck is performing ? Im thinking about to get one, since the price is very low on my realm actually with about 60 to 90k pending.

1 hour ago, Baharok said:

Did anyone test how the tank darkmoondeck is performing ? Im thinking about to get one, since the price is very low on my realm actually with about 60 to 90k pending.

Currently, Darkmoon Deck: Blockades' effect is rather weak, so it's not really worth the gold/effort required to get it. You're better off with Mythic (item level 340) trinkets if you can get them, assuming you get decent ones. Or even item level ~325 trinkets also assuming you can get decent ones. If you can get Blockades for cheap and you don't have any other solid trinkets then definitely use it, but otherwise there are better options at the moment.

I just updated the guide with more trinket recommendations, so once that's live later today take a look.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marok said:

Currently, Darkmoon Deck: Blockades' effect is rather weak, so it's not really worth the gold/effort required to get it. You're better off with Mythic (item level 340) trinkets if you can get them, assuming you get decent ones. Or even item level ~325 trinkets also assuming you can get decent ones. If you can get Blockades for cheap and you don't have any other solid trinkets then definitely use it, but otherwise there are better options at the moment.

I just updated the guide with more trinket recommendations, so once that's live later today take a look.

Thank you alot Marok ! Also im tired of Blizzards tooltips sometimes. Things like "heals a small amount....."[...] is a poor information, were i wish, that there would be alot more detail, but maybe im just minimalistic at this point.

I tried mythic 2 days ago with guildmates. We all were between ilvl 309 and 313 (healer 311, me 313) and i said "guys lets try mythic, maybe we can do something, since it is with actual gear more like a hardmode / m+ scenario" and you know what ?- it worked pretty good ! I was surprised a bit myself, because after so much negativity on internet and official forums and other sites. 

Also i got your block/last stand - aura from wago.io, its simple, but useful along with the updated small IP-aura. Thanks for that too ! Im doing the left mythic instances with my guildmates this evening and also hope i can get a good drop of trinkets there. My actual ones arent that bad either, but i thought its better to ask here.

Have a great weekend !

• Like 1

Guest zbishop

Gotta be honest I'm not willing to drop Devastator unless something changes with the class.  That amount of button mashing is just not worth whatever damage / rage might be gained.  Personally I don't feel like I even have the globals to even use devastate very much at all.

So it seems like Blockades' tune wasnt that bad. Lets see how long it can last. I think i can use one now + i dropped Jes' Howler on 345 today.

Guest Yaminahua

Can you please comment on your thought process behind saying that strength is the least valuable stat and suggesting mainly strength trinkets as BIS? If strength is the lowest on the list, a haste or even a vers/mastery trinket with a primary stat proc/use should be better, right?

1 hour ago, Guest Yaminahua said:

Can you please comment on your thought process behind saying that strength is the least valuable stat and suggesting mainly strength trinkets as BIS? If strength is the lowest on the list, a haste or even a vers/mastery trinket with a primary stat proc/use should be better, right?

The trinkets are suggested for their effects, rather than the stats within them. For example, even though Blockades has Strength on it, it was placed on the list because the actual effect is strong enough. It's also worth reading what is said below the stats section:

In the same vein, for Protection Warriors, the value of each secondary stat is very close together. Not only that, but Strength, despite being slightly worse than the secondary stats, still provides a decent amount of survivability. Generally speaking, the stat priority should only be followed when comparing gear of the same item level. A piece of gear with a higher item level than what you currently have should be equipped regardless of its secondary stats.

Strength may be worse, but not by a huge amount. This means that the strength on those trinkets is still very useful, especially with high item levels (Blockades is 355 by default, for example, or Bygone Bee Almanac at 350). Jes' Howler, despite having a Strength stat on it, has an incredibly useful trinket for doing dungeons, since you're likely to get the maximum group usage out of it (meaning a more efficient run, since everyone is doing more damage, taking less damage, and you'll get the max additional proc of x*4 additional Vers on top of the initial on-use effect). 

Trinkets are normally simply chosen by how powerful the actual individual trinket is, rather than the priority in question. The priority is only important when you are talking about equal amounts being compared, or very close to equal amounts.

Guest Valdaya

I was wondering why/if you actually use heroic leap all that often, I don't really find it useful in most tanking situations, and in almost every situation I see intercept being better and MUCH easier to use (1 click vs 2 is a big deal for high intensity fights where mobility really matters) because of that I guess I'm trying to understand why you value the heroic leap talent so highly since I think both of the other talents are vastly superior. (of course this is all just opinion, I ask because I value yours not to demean your advice)!

There are very often fights, were you have a nice use with the speedbuff talent and the increased range of thunderclap talent isnt needed (in general its only useful when you have alot of adds) and the backlash effect of the intercept talent can kill you since 30% of the incoming dmg of the intercepted target is redirected to you. That being said, the use is very rare imo. 

In legion (especially at start with shade of Xavius) i used sometimes the intercept talent in mythic+, so a focused target can survive the absurd amount of damage - just for example. 

Edited by Baharok

Guest Septium

I've noticed that the Champions of Azeroth azerite trait isn't mentioned at all on the azerite trait page. If I get the helm from the vendor is that trait better than iron fortress?

I noticed a brief mention of the engineering goggles on the Azerite page, maybe I'm missing something but I dont see any of their outer traits listed in the guide? Is this simply because these traits rank below all other prot specific traits? I'm comparing [Synaptic Spark Collector] (5 percent reduction) to [Brace for Impact] as these are the two helm traits I have.