FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Indiladhar

Possibly returning to wow since WOTLK, have a few Q’s

I last played from vanilla to when WOTLK was current, played for a very short time during Cata but then stopped for good. Thinking about returning after 8 years but obviously a lot has changed and I’m hoping to get a few answers, if possible! 

Is there any real chance of getting early dungeons completed or would I be waiting for a group for weeks? I’d also likely only get 2-3 hours a week at the most, so catching up will take a while. This aspect I actually enjoy, I prefer solo play unless groups are required. 

Pet battles? I didn’t realize they added this feature, are these the same vanity pets we collected or is this something entirely new? 

I also remember reading something about having your own tower or base or something similar, but those were since disbanded. You leveled them up or something. 

I’ve also heard you can use gold collected in the game to pay for subscriptions. Is this true? 

Are there any other big things I’ve missed? I’m sure there are new classes and races, there must have been many nerfs and buffs since I last played. I’m looking for a US realm that’s PVE, and I’ll be an alliance affliction warlock (my most enjoyable class). Raids aren’t a huge thing, which is great because I won’t have time! 

Thank you for any help provided! And my apologies if this is in the wrong forum or breaks any rules! 

33 minutes ago, Indiladhar said:

I last played from vanilla to when WOTLK was current, played for a very short time during Cata but then stopped for good. Thinking about returning after 8 years but obviously a lot has changed and I’m hoping to get a few answers, if possible! 

Is there any real chance of getting early dungeons completed or would I be waiting for a group for weeks? I’d also likely only get 2-3 hours a week at the most, so catching up will take a while. This aspect I actually enjoy, I prefer solo play unless groups are required. 

Pet battles? I didn’t realize they added this feature, are these the same vanity pets we collected or is this something entirely new? 

I also remember reading something about having your own tower or base or something similar, but those were since disbanded. You leveled them up or something. 

I’ve also heard you can use gold collected in the game to pay for subscriptions. Is this true? 

Are there any other big things I’ve missed? I’m sure there are new classes and races, there must have been many nerfs and buffs since I last played. I’m looking for a US realm that’s PVE, and I’ll be an alliance affliction warlock (my most enjoyable class). Raids aren’t a huge thing, which is great because I won’t have time! 

Thank you for any help provided! And my apologies if this is in the wrong forum or breaks any rules! 

• A Group Finder has been added to the game and you can queue up individually or as a group for dungeons. Dungeon Finder works even at low levels and awards a good chunk of XP.
  • Yep, most battle pets now have abilities and there are even battle pet dungeons, trainers, and world quests.
  • You probably mean garrisons, that was one of the features in Warlords of Draenor.
  • Correct, gold can be used to purchase WoW TokenWoW Tokens. Check out this website for prices.
  • World PvP (now called "War Mode") can be toggled on/off in Stormwind/Orgrimmar. You can simply enable World PvP and gain access to PvP talents -- other players will be able to attack you in the open world If you turn it off, nobody will be able to attack you. It does not really matter on which server you play.
  • Thanks 1

One last question! Would it be possible to buy just 1-2 expansions at a time (BC and WOTLK) and then buy others later? How would it impact gameplay if I only have those two for now and there aren’t other players rolling a monk class, for example. Would I not see them or how does that work?

1 hour ago, Indiladhar said:

One last question! Would it be possible to buy just 1-2 expansions at a time (BC and WOTLK) and then buy others later? How would it impact gameplay if I only have those two for now and there aren’t other players rolling a monk class, for example. Would I not see them or how does that work?

All of World of Warcraft’s available content — aside from the soon to be released Battle for Azeroth expansion — is now included in the game’s $14.99 monthly subscription fee. The Battle Chest — which used to include the base game and all previous expansions — is no longer available for purchase in Blizzard’s online shop. This change appears to be permanent.

Players, new and old, can now sign up for a subscription and play all the way through Legion, World of Warcraft’s sixth expansion. This change comes shortly after the pre-patch for Battle for Azeroth, World of Warcraft’s seventh expansion, which is scheduled to be released on Aug. 14.

I found that in a news article dated July 17, 2018 with a quick google search.  Blizzard made it pretty easy.  :)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Indiladhar said:

Like Adamselene said, as soon as you subscribe to the game (either via Game Card, subscription plan, or WoW token) you automatically have access to everything except for the current expansion (which since 8.0 is Battle for Azeroth). You don't need to buy or own the base game or any previous expansions.

Without BfA, your levelling experience would stop at 110 and you won't have excess to the new races (You will see and be able to interact with other players of those races though). The base mechanics would still be the same e.g. the changes to World PvP, now called War Mode, will be available to you.

Since you have to be at a high level to unlock the gameplay requirements for the new races (exalted reputation with their factions and playing through their storyline), I'd say hold back on buying BfA until you are sure you will continue onwards. You won't miss out on anything before reaching level 110.

Edited by jinsu2301