FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PhilColins

Demo logs - let's improve

Well, a couple of problems...

1) Warlocks don't 'whore' on trash.  For Demonology and Destruction, more mobs = more resource generation.  Most classes have to expend resources to 'whore' adds, but Warlocks are an exception.  Sadly, most raids don't understand this.

2) Tank vengeance took a massive AoE nerf.  They're not gaining enough vengeance to validate them holding them all.  Having them be taken out quickly clears up a lot of time for others to get back on the bosses or clear out the crystals ASAP. 

Well we're allowed to Immolate/RoF them and ofc passive cleave with Shadowflame (i totally don't save two charges for when adds are gripped no sir not me) cannot be helped, but you can't just go incinerate spam on them or jump in with Mannoroths.

The premise is to just not have people go OMG ADDS and then forget everything. It's not my rule but it works I guess. Same on Malkorok, they get cleaved down by the tank/melee and the rest of us don't touch them. 

that sounds incredibly bizarre to me. in my 25H raids we just let the ranged kill adds freely in nearly every fight, so long as tanks get a chance to establish threat and no mechanics are being ignored.

Eh, some guilds prefer to be consistent about that type of stuff so there is no role confusion.  It's not a bad habit to implement to your raiders to get them focused on the right task rather than just meters.  If you let them go crazy on some fights, then it can be difficult to get them to focus when it matters.

I'm usually given the dirty, fiddly tasks like grunt duty, towers, belt, engineer etc. which obviously gimps dps, so any chance I get to go wild I'ma take it, yes siree.

I've found it kinda hard to adjust to the low fury generation this tier so spent around 2k reforging and gemming to get the 15k cap, hopefully my destro dps doesn't take that much of a hit when it comes to the progression fights... though technically we're back to progress on malk having failed to kill him in the two weeks since we first downed him, and I imagine I can stick with demo here anyway. Gonna beg my raid leader to let me pad the fuck out of the nazgrim opening, usually we despawn adds.

though technically we're back to progress on malk having failed to kill him in the two weeks since we first downed him

are you guys using the malkorok helper addon? completely negates one part of the fight for us.

Your Destruction DPS will almost certainly take a hit with that much haste.  Lots of opportunities to waste time waiting for the GCD.

Yea My 10M also doesn't have dps touch reflections on Sha of Pride.

I use them for an FnB Immo and to keep RoF for shard generation, but my guild and I think most guilds who do it do it because you get more effective dps having all the dps stick to Sha and let tanks just kill the reflections. It also makes things a bit cleaner if you do have dps pulling agro on them or trying to focus too much on adds instead of other things they can be doing. The tanks have more than enough time to kill the adds before the next wave, so some guilds prefer just letting one person handle and gather them and letting dps focus on Sha and the fragment that comes out shortly after and soaking rifts and basically making the raid as a whole worry about one less thing since the OT doesn't do much anyways.

As a warlock you should be glad for this scenario. More shard generation because you have FnB Immo up for quite a while, have tons of adds to hit with RoF, and it's alot easier to shadowburn cleave because you don't have 5 other dps burning them and trying to execute as well, I think it's a much better and cleaner strategy after doing both during progression and I would argue it's much easier for everyone in terms of mechanics, not the other way around.

Edited by Strife

I put Doom on the training dummys before Malk for funzies and I noticed that my Doom's were cancelled as soon as Malk was pulled. Perhaps they finally implemented a way to not cheese this?

Anyone else notice this?

Good.  Because that was a shitty way to cheese that fight, particularly in 10 man.  I knew guilds who employed this tactic and I lost a lot of respect for them.  I never attempted it.

You can probably still farm an army of imps with it though as I guess those don't despawn?

Anyway. Similar issue with Destro on 25 man in that some guild's log bugged out (fight lasted less than a minute) and there are people doing over a million dps...

TBH there are a lot of bugged logs right now which are really screwing with rankings. My GM did Sha of Pride flex on his alt lock and it recorded as 25 heroic... 

Same with our Thok 25H kill last week. Only recorded the last 3 minutes so dps was about 30k higher. I got rank 6 but should have been rank 30. There isn't even any detection implemented for the last 3 fights and the guy who runs it doesn't respond. Shame.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Edited by Liquidsteel

Flex does some weird things.  I ended up posting normal rankings while doing Flex with 12-13 people.  World of Logs does only one check to see the difficulty: it records how much damage was done to the boss and it validates the number.  I would imagine running Flex with 18-20 would really confuse the system.

Dude who runs WoL has essentially quit from what I heard.  It's why there are new platforms going up about log recording.  Someone on Reddit linked some website about this new method for analyzing logs.  It didn't catch steam.  People hate change, so they won't change until they have to.  Askmrrobot has come out and said in WoD, their new system will analyze your logs and report back what you are doing wrong.  It'll be very interesting how they set that up...they're basically making an automatic version of what I've been doing for others for a long time.  I know HOW they will do it...they'll basically take something like my DPS F.A.Q., set those as metrics (Immolate uptime >95%?) and give you a feedback report.  I highly doubt they will be able to get as complex as human analytics will get, but it'll be neat to see what they put out.

I agree Zag. I'm eager to read the results. Any system that spits out an analysis goes through an algorithm based approach and basically says 'yes' or 'no' to the results. I wonder how they will get their information come the new patch though.

Holy balls I forgot how much fun Demo is.  It's still a little clunky, but I forgive it.

Last night on our first H Nazgrim kill (yeah we're a little late to the party) we were having tank depth issues.  There were too many more things we needed out of them than could be handled.  So I pulled out the trusty tank glyph and kept the warshamans away from the group whenever they were up.  Once the shaman died I swapped back to the real Meta form and pew pew'd.  Also, I broke 4.5M DPS on our first pull, which was hilarious:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3jazzqsng827lnvu/sum/damageDone/?s=173&e=511

The fact that I ranked on this fight goes to show that almost nobody is playing Demo right now.  I mean, I was tanking mobs with Demonic Slash, and I ranked...... Come on meow.

For Malkorok I had to ninja AFK on a few fights, but overall it's been a great fight to shake off a lot of the rust I've built up.  Tons of attempts, but attempt 11 seems to be my best opener.  I'll need to analyze that to see what I did and get back.  I may have just been lucky with crits, but it's the closest opener to what I'm used to pulling as Destruction.  Right now it seems a standard solid Demo opener is between 800k-1M, but attempt 11 I was able to pull about 1.3M.

All about that 2pc proc if you precast Soul Fire.  On Heroic Siege, I was pulling anywhere from 950k to 1.1M in my opener with proc or 550-750k without a proc.  20% of being a monster.

Wow I feel bad.  I totally forgot about pre-casting Soulfire.  It can only get better then I guess, haha.

Edit:  Also, has anyone noticed that as your gear increases, so does the damage contribution of the legendary cloak?  It just hit me that the cloak proc gains 200% of your Spellpower.  The only other spell in the Demo arsenal that has a higher SP ratio is Doom, which has 375%. 

I just got 4 piece tier 16, and loving it so might try demo with 14k haste Bp,

This is a noob-ish question but 'precast soul fire' why ?. Just to get the proc up or something else?.

Yep, just to get the 2-piece proc.  Your opener is arguably your biggest source of damage for the entire fight.  Now you have a 1 in 5 chance of making it do 20% more damage.  :)

The real answer?  Or the sugar coated answer?

Edit: Also, you break 1.13 M on your first H Malkorok attempt.

Certainly nothing is stopping you, but it will be hard to perform optimally without PBI unfortunately.  I wouldn't sacrifice any mastery to achieve 14k haste though. (unless it's a few hundred)  Either way, it's almost impossible to keep your mastery maxed out while still achieving 14k haste in your current ilvl, and without PBI.

The real answer?  Or the sugar coated answer?

Edit: Also, you break 1.13 M on your first H Malkorok attempt.

Make me want to grab an ice bath.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-72h6l7ytf22us9e2/sum/damageDone/?s=1705&e=2023

^^ return with one of the worst job's I've ever done as Demo.

Edited by PhilColins