Starym

The Future of Overwatch (and Next Week)

Sign in to follow this  

20 posts in this topic

sIYq4hG.jpg

So, there's been a pretty long lull in the Overwatch dev's communication with the community, in terms of announcements or teases etc. However, recently Jeff Kaplan has posted on the forums about both very general plans for the future of the game and for some more close-by changes coming to the PTR as early as next week.

First off we have the PTR changes that may or may not appear next week/starting tomorrow, including a "surprise" that may well be a revision to the replay system:

Blizzard LogoJeff Kaplan (source)

We worked on a balance patch this week. We’re hoping to put that patch on the PTR next week. The last time I said that, it was late and everyone flipped out. So please, don’t flip out if things slip… they often do.

Also, there’s another cool little surprise coming next week. Excited!

(sorry no details at this time as changes are still in flux… the PTR will get notes when it goes out… no dev update)

Then there's a larger post from a while ago where Jeff goes into some long-term plans in response to a "we don't like developer silence" forum post. Apparently there's been a lot of exploration into new things, from game modes, features and engine tech, as well as a whole lot of top secret stuff:

Blizzard LogoJeff Kaplan (source)

Hey… sorry!

We don’t like being silent… that’s not our intention. we’ve been trying to show up more on various streams (we have our creator’s residency now here at Blizzard where streamers hang out with us) plus we did a bunch of streams at Blizzcon. maybe you missed those?

We’re also in a bit of a “head’s down” mode trying to get a lot of work done. we also had a few people traveling over the thanksgiving holiday (we’re based in the US) and took advantage of the slow week to allow developers to work on whatever they wanted. the end result was pretty cool. we explored new game modes, new features and new engine tech. it was all really rough but some of the prototypes will actually turn into features someday.

I guess, mostly, we don’t have a big newsworthy thing to announce or talk about right now so we’re more focused on “getting stuff done” rather than anything else.

Roughly, this is a sample of some of what we’re working on:

–top secret stuff i’m not allowed to talk about
–hero balance (i actually think we’re in a better spot than these forums will have you believe)
–quality of life features (UI updates etc)
–new hero prototyping and development
–new game mode prototyping (don’t expect to see these soon)
–feature development
–ongoing event support (skins etc.)
–more top secret stuff i’m not allowed to talk about
–top secret stuff i’m not supposed to talk about

Header image source.

• Haha 1

Hopefully there is something to revitalise Overwatch, game needs more content, otherwise it's getting stale. Events have been all on repeat, with the exception of Retribution, and they aren't enough now to attract as many players as before.

• Like 3

Just now, Dejo93 said:

After the Ellie fiasco, they really need to do some big changes to the game

Ellie fiasco interests the possible sexism in pro scene, has nothing to do with the general game.

I would like to see which can be an answer to GOATs at pro level, because seriously, thats some boring stuff, and I am afraid that it will take over OWL too. Even though I don't like 5 dps comps in meta, I think OWL is generally popular through its star DPS. I don't wanna see them swinging their flails around and bashing crusaders.

Edited by FanOfValeera

32 minutes ago, FanOfValeera said:

Ellie fiasco interests the possible sexism in pro scene, has nothing to do with the general game.

I would like to see which can be an answer to GOATs at pro level, because seriously, thats some boring stuff, and I am afraid that it will take over OWL too. Even though I don't like 5 dps comps in meta, I think OWL is generally popular through its star DPS. I don't wanna see them swinging their flails around and bashing crusaders.

I don't see the sexism. It basically boils down to preference. Women like games like Candy Crush, while men like games like OW. As for the."toxicity", if you can't handle it mute or ignore it. Simple as.that

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

I don't see the sexism. It basically boils down to preference. Women like games like Candy Crush, while men like games like OW. As for the."toxicity", if you can't handle it mute or ignore it. Simple as.that

This guy sexisms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

Something like this is mainly important to those interested in OWL, so for average player (like me!) who just plays the game, new content and balance changes are what matters. Besides, if I read the correct info, it was actually about a guy playing on someone else's account, so it's the case of account sharing and fake identity being the true issue there.

Edited by Arcling

2 hours ago, FanOfValeera said:

Wasn't it like, proven she actually had someone else playing for her, and it was a social experiment or something like that?

It was a guy playing and once it came out that it was a guy suddenly the player was just 'meh', but when it was supposedly a female playing, she was OMGAMAZING according to game journalists.  I think it was a top 500 player by the moniker Reaper who was actually playing and has since left the Second Wind team.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dejo93 said:

Ellie if a fiasco becasue a guy that was behind was behaving in questionable way, there are some screenshots of his convesations on discord and conversations "Ellie" had on bnet. Apparently it was probably one of the worst guys to be involved behind this project. Not to mention that great majority of people, that were questioning Ellie weren't suspicious becasue it was a female gamer, they were suspicious becasue it was a totaly new account that suddenly climb up rankings and got into league. At the end, becasue this team got manipulated by "project Ellie" it will only hurt female gamers, and it will make it harder for them to join league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok, there's Top Secret Stuff he isn't allowed to talk about, more Top Secret Stuff he isn't allowed to talk about and yet more Top Secret Stuff, but this Top Secret Stuff he apparently is allowed to talk about but shouldn't - so, not that top secret after all? Is this supposed to be some kind of funny joke or is there any meaning to this?

• Haha 2

i see goats in almost every single game now in comp, how fun is that, 6 out of X heroes being used. kinda sad, and makes me not wanna play since i like to flex.

14 hours ago, Dejo93 said:

Pro players do not matter for the majority of us. We don't ever see them in our matches. I personally couldn't give less interest on the big guys and their teams. eSports goes beyond the game we actually experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Evincare said:

Is this supposed to be some kind of funny joke or is there any meaning to this?

Basically, "we are working on something, but can't say anything". Damage control, which may cause the opposite - overblown expectations, when it's going to be just a balance patch and maybe a new map.

The game feels really meh for a while ago.. well a long time ago. I downloaded after more than half year break and nothing new. Few new hero and 1-2 map per year will doesn't keep alive the game and already feels a bit dead for me. After few matches (of course I didn't even see new map) I uninstalled because can't give anything new. 

Jeff thinks he is funny but the game actually dying.

Edited by Hypersonic
  • Sad 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:37 AM, Evincare said:

Ok, there's Top Secret Stuff he isn't allowed to talk about, more Top Secret Stuff he isn't allowed to talk about and yet more Top Secret Stuff, but this Top Secret Stuff he apparently is allowed to talk about but shouldn't - so, not that top secret after all? Is this supposed to be some kind of funny joke or is there any meaning to this?

Well, I am afraid that is the new Blizzard.

Talking about "awesome stuff" - but that's all. Talking. Not delievering.

Maybe it is different with Overwatch, but if you take a look at Diablo, they are talking for years how incredible important Diablo is, what great projects they have.

Then we get Darkening of Tristram Event and Diablo Immortal.

Is this a joke? Yeah, a bad one.

In my youth Blizzard was different. Yes, they always took their time to make a game. But there wasn't huge talk. "It's done when it's done".

They did less talking, but they did indeed develop awesome games.

Maybe they replaced all the game developers by some marketing guys fresh from college. I don't know.

5 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

In my youth Blizzard was different. Yes, they always took their time to make a game. But there wasn't huge talk. "It's done when it's done".

They did less talking, but they did indeed develop awesome games.

Maybe they replaced all the game developers by some marketing guys fresh from college. I don't know.

You have to keep in mind that the world was a different place at that point as well. I don't know exactly how old you are but I'm guessing that you are likely referring to the "golden age" of blizzard (D2, WC3, SC).

This was well before the prevelance of smart phones, social media, and an overall more connected world of gamers. 

Games sort of just existed with minimal content patches or DLCs until the next one was ready. This didn't really bother us though. Maybe it's because we were younger or maybe it's because there wasn't a good outlet for complaints. Either way, we were a lot happier with what we had.

Speaking personally, I remember replaying the same D2 and WC3 content over and over again with complete joy and never really expected blizzard to provide new content to me.

Was D3 a let down compared to D2? Probably for most. Was immortal a joke compared to D3? Universally agreed upon. But I don't think it's fair to hold blizzard to the same communication expectations that you created for them 15 years ago.

4 hours ago, Prowlz said:

Games sort of just existed with minimal content patches or DLCs until the next one was ready. This didn't really bother us though. Maybe it's because we were younger or maybe it's because there wasn't a good outlet for complaints. Either way, we were a lot happier with what we had.

You are correct, expectations regarding content have increased a lot.

But my main problem with Blizzard isn't content, my main problem is atmosphere, story telling and characters.

SC 1 had amazing Characters and fantastic, emotional cutscenes.

Same with Diablo or Warcraft 3.

SC 2 + D3 are polished. They look good. Vids are high quality regarding technical aspects. But they are soulless. They are full of action but boring as hell. They have zero atmosphere and do not touch your heart or sould.

Take a look at the BroodWar Intro. The marine in the trenches. Zerg closing in. Airsupport up ahead. A dialogue about ViceAdmiral Stukov and Admiral Dugal. "I know all about the Zerg". And then Admiral Dugall orders to leave orbit.

The marine looks up, sees the enemy closing in. Orchestral music starts to play. And the flagship (the Alexander) leaves the units in the trenches to die.

There was no action.

No huge talk about how uber-powerful somebody was.

No dark god.

There was just a fantastic scenery that felt like WAR. It was plausible, it was heart shattering.

It was awesome.

But Blizzard is not the only company that can't tell stories anymore. Bioware used to make great games.

Baldurs Gate. Baldurs Gate 2 (still one of the best games ever and MUCH better then any other game Bioware made after this)

NeverWinterNights was not bad, but it was not as good as BG2 - by a long shot.

Dragon Age 1 was good and had many aspects that made a lot of fun. But again: BG2 was better.

Mass Effect 1 - a good game with several weak points. But a good game. Interesting story, interesting characters.

Those were the last games that told a realy good story.

After that it went downhill.

ME 2, Dragon Age 2 - not terrible, still ok, but not more.

And then came Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda (which is the first Bioware game in 20 years that I haven't bought and never will).

Dead games, no heart, no interesting characters, pathetic story.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

SC 2 + D3 are polished. They look good. Vids are high quality regarding technical aspects. But they are soulless. They are full of action but boring as hell. They have zero atmosphere and do not touch your heart or sould.

While I agree with almost everything you said - I didn't quote the whole thing, sorry 🙂  - I have to disagree regarding SC2. D3, I agree, there are epic looking cut scenes but the first one that comes to mind when I think D3 is the DBZ thing between Tyrael and Imperius. While flashy, I can't even remember exactly, why they were fighting in the first place... The storytelling was way better in D2 - at least in my opinion. Personally, I still think the story in diablo 3 was not that bad, pretty predictable but not horrible.

Concerning SC2 though, I remember the campaign to be interesting and captivating. Especially at the end of the respective games I was kinda bummed, I had to wait like two years to be able to continue the story - the ending though, like wtf... But that's maybe because SC was pretty much the first game I really played and really, really enjoyed. Before SC I mainly played PS, where - apart from FF VII and final fantasy in general - there are no games of such epic proportions.

As far as cinematics go, the best one without a doubt in the entire SC franchise - yes, I include SC 1 - has to be the New Gettysburg one in SC2, I think it's called The Betrayal. That thing is just awesome. The two completely different settings, Kerrigan in New Gettysburg amidst the chaos and then Mengsk on his cruiser, where everything is calm and serene, Kerrigans desperation when she realizes, he's really going through with it - one of, if not the most iconic moment in StarCraft history. It is maybe ironic though, as the cinematic portrays a moment, that happened during SC1...

22 hours ago, WedgeAntilles said:

But they have a degree 🙂 Made me laugh, because I was thinking something similar. I hear they need new CFOs as well...

7 hours ago, Evincare said:

Concerning SC2 though, I remember the campaign to be interesting and captivating. Especially at the end of the respective games I was kinda bummed, I had to wait like two years to be able to continue the story - the ending though, like wtf... But that's maybe because SC was pretty much the first game I really played and really, really enjoyed. Before SC I mainly played PS, where - apart from FF VII and final fantasy in general - there are no games of such epic proportions.

Yes, I admit that the first Part (Wings of Liberty) wasn't bad. I had quite some fun with it. Much of it was really good.
I was extremly disappointed of Heart of the Swarm and didn't like Legacy of the Void too much either.

(Only speaking about story / characters / dialogue. Gameplay was very good.)

I guess that led to judging Wings of Liberty too harshly. I just took some time and thought back after I had finished this campaign and yeah, I was very satisfied with it.

As far as cinematics go, the best one without a doubt in the entire SC franchise - yes, I include SC 1 - has to be the New Gettysburg one in SC2, I think it's called The Betrayal. That thing is just awesome. The two completely different settings, Kerrigan in New Gettysburg amidst the chaos and then Mengsk on his cruiser, where everything is calm and serene, Kerrigans desperation when she realizes, he's really going through with it - one of, if not the most iconic moment in StarCraft history. It is maybe ironic though, as the cinematic portrays a moment, that happened during SC1...

You are right, this cinematic was great. And yes, it is quite ironic that it portrays a moment of SC1. This cinmeativ had next to no action and no "big talk" - and that is why it was awesome. It had everything the great cinematics of SC1 had (just in high resolution.)
It touched your soul, it did everything absolutly right.

If it is the "best" - that's hard to tell, but it is definitly one of the best 3.