FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

Zagam's Celestial Tournament Guide

OMG this guide is awesome.  I grew a beard made out of the celestial pets after reading.

Xu Fu, can be duod by darkmoon zeppelin and mechnaical bombling. Start with zeppelin, create a decoy. the decoy will absorb the tigers healing attack. shoot xu fu until you are protected by the decoy (2 rounds), than use self destruct. usually he doesnt have much health now, so i just self destruct with the bombling as well.

Zao can be duod by a canine (like fjord worg pup, or alpine foxling) and a mechanical yeti. Start with the worg pup, use dazzling dance for 25% speed buff, than attack once with flurry. use howl the next round (when the worg dies). than call lighting, and metal fist once. finish him off with ion cannon. 

• Like 1

Yu'la can be solo'd by Mr. Bigglesworth if you follow this pattern:

claw

ice tomb

ice barrier

pass

claw

claw 

repeat

• Like 1

Interesting.  I also had a friend who solo'd Wise Mari with a spider.  I'm going to start including solo strats that work.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Hei Zagam thanks for this detailed guide. I'm completely new to pet battles so at the moment im mostly gathering all the pets required in your list (with a few of replacements for the ones i can't get at all) and leveling them up against aquatics in the valley of blossom, boosted by the two green dragonbone hatchlings that i picked up in dragonblight while raising my first 25.

However i have the feeling that this will take forever, but the other way would be beating the pet masters to get the xp boost items. Sadly the pet masters are actually tough after northrend (im at that point) and they will require me to acquire and raise to 25 even more pets, so im a bit lost on what is more efficient to do on the long run, considering that there aren't many easy-to-use resources about this.

I'll appreciate if you can suggest me what to do...   : D

thanks

I'm working on more pet battle guides including the Beasts of Fable and the trainers as you mention.  I have defeated everything with the list of pets in my Celestial Tournament Guide.  I'll just write up details on how to take them down soon!

I now made my way through the first tournament. As soon as I had 15 pets at 25, i checked who were the champions of this week, and raised those only. Zagam's guide is so well written that i literally won all the matches at my very first try, and now im a happy owner of a Chi-Chi : D

For leveling up the pets for the tournament without gouging your eyes out, you need to get the Safari’s Hat (from beating all the Master pet trainers) and then the xp boost sausages that you get from the daily quests of the Beasts of Fable. I was able to beat all 10 beasts with the same pet setup, which is an effervescent glowfly, a darkmoon crow, and an anubisath idol. Maybe is not the more efficient or elegant, but it’s cheap to put together and does the job.

• Like 1

Congrats on your tournament win!  Glad to hear my guide helped you out.  Best of luck in the coming weeks to complete your Celestial pet family!

I've gotta say, I've been using Zag's guide since the day he posted it, and it has worked flawless for me, besides the usual RNG misses/crits.  Got me into pet battling too, which is more of a negative.

• Like 1

Fantastic guide,

I've definitely noticed several holes in my pet vault and going to start leveling immediately.  Zagam is a beast lol, I learned a ton from him in regards to warlock and now he's teaching me pet battles :D

Zagam,

I noticed you really like the haymaker combo of several round casts (whirlpool, doom, etc) and chromag howl.  Have you found any other impressive pet combos?  I have a pretty diverse pet vault so I'm trying to get through the pet tourney with what I have.  Trying this like multiple attacks + call lightening buff and magic classes with moonfire buff.

Depends on the week.  I'm experimenting with various combinations of pets in order to combat crappy RNG.  Doom - Whirlpool - Geyser - Howl - Surge of Power is just unstoppable.  Hard to find any other combination.  Sometimes, you can do better - for example, this week with Blingtron 4000 - his pig pet dies in two Swipes from Lil Bad Wolf after a Howl.  Any time you can 2 shot an elite pet is pretty awesome.  I'll keep updating with other combos.  I have started soloing Yulon with Mr. Bigglesworth.  It's flawless, even if she lands a lucky crit. 

Had some trouble today with Chen/Taran/Wrathion. Anubisath died in the first fight, so he wasn't available when I met Wrathion. And the flayer melted in the fire, so to speak, and definately couldn't power through. I ended up using a team with a hare (as per the instructions) which took down the first one, Lil bad wolf (howl and then counterstrike for massive damage, then dodge) died just before the 2nd pet, then Sprite darter. Moonfire killed "Alex", evanescence to avoid the meteor and nuke with Arcane blast.

Hello, I just started my pet battling last week so I'm very new to it. Is there a pet that can replace Tranquil Mechanical Yeti in this set-up? It was taken out of the game (the pattern), so I don't have one readily available. Just wondering if there is a good replacement before I try to find someone to make it for me. 

I don't believe it was taken out of the game.  Even still, did you check the AH for any copies of the pet?  They are usually very numerous in quantity.  If it was taken out of the game, it shouldn't be too difficult to find an engineer with the pattern.  Worst case is you can't find someone and I make it for you.

In regards to a replacement, you really just need a pet that has Call Lightning as that's all I use him for.  He's the starter for me against every beast type. 

Possible Replacements:

Sunreaver Micro-Sentry - Isle of Thunder rare drop

Thundering Serpent Hatchling - Challenge Mode Gold:Guild Edition (300g from guild vendor)

Wild Golden Hatchling - Jade Forest wild pet

Wild Jade Hatchling - Jade Forest wild pet

Hello, I just started my pet battling last week so I'm very new to it. Is there a pet that can replace Tranquil Mechanical Yeti in this set-up? It was taken out of the game (the pattern), so I don't have one readily available. Just wondering if there is a good replacement before I try to find someone to make it for me. 

I don't believe it was taken out of the game.  Even still, did you check the AH for any copies of the pet?  They are usually very numerous in quantity.  If it was taken out of the game, it shouldn't be too difficult to find an engineer with the pattern.  Worst case is you can't find someone and I make it for you.

In regards to a replacement, you really just need a pet that has Call Lightning as that's all I use him for.  He's the starter for me against every beast type. 

Possible Replacements:

Sunreaver Micro-Sentry - Isle of Thunder rare drop

Thundering Serpent Hatchling - Challenge Mode Gold:Guild Edition (300g from guild vendor)

Wild Golden Hatchling - Jade Forest wild pet

Wild Jade Hatchling - Jade Forest wild pet

The recipe has indeed been taken out of the game during Cataclysm quest revamps and is no longer obtainable. However, there are thousands of players, who got the recipe from pre-cataclysm and it should be fairly easy to find one.

You can also find them on AH from time to time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great guide.  I leveled every pet you suggested (except the Crawling Claw; I used the Lesser Voidcaller and Unborn Valkyr), and met with great success.  I have a couple of comments:

A great alternative to the Crawling Claw, which I prefer over the Lesser Voidcaller, is the Unborn Valkyr.  The point of having either pet on the team is to apply Doom.  Like the Crawling Claw, the Unborn Valkyr is undead, so you can simply use the "rebirth" round to apply Doom.  They may be rare out in the wild, but I don't think they're too hard to find.  Perhaps the same amount of time spent farming the LV out of TK would yield an UV.

My second comment has to do with the strategy listed for Yu'la.  I'm not sure if I was just suffering from bad RNG, but following the Geyser -> Whirlpool -> Howl -> Surge of Power method seems to leave Yu'la with some health left.  Adding Doom into the mix before that sequence (as with Zao) seems to get the job done.

Thanks for all the time you put into the guide =)

• Like 1

Glad to hear you found success with my guide! 

Your points about the Valkyr are correct - I tried not to include her because so many people have frustrations on finding her.  She is a GREAT addition to the team if you find her.

For Yu'la, I've actually been following Kattii's suggestion of Mr. Bigglesworth.  It's absurd how easily he solo's Yu'la.  It's so good, I was thinking of changing the guide.  You're not the first to run into issues with Yu'la, and you're right - Doom does the trick. 

• Like 2

Hello, me again.

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the Chen/Taran/Wrathion crew.  So much, in fact, that I'm looking for replacement pets and reading other guides.  Finding replacement pets is acceptable - eventually I'd love to have them all rare/25.  Reading other guides I would rather not do.  I chose this one and stuck to it, spent many hours leveling the recommended pets... and after all, this is Icy Veins.

I've tried eight or nine times now, and have been defeated badly with the recommended pets.  RNG I understand, but I am not even getting close.

To begin, IMHO it is worth stating two things in the guide, if you are going to recommend Darkmoon Zep vs. Tonsa.  First, if Tonsa's first attack stuns you, you might as well forfeit right there.  The extra hit that Tonsa gains from that stun will kill the Zep (including the mechanical rebirth round) before you can ever get off the Explosion.  Second, you should state that your aim with self-destructing the Darkmoon Zep is to use Explode so that it kills both pets at the same time.  Someone following the guide verbatim will "put up Decoy, shoot Missiles, then use Explode before your Zep dies."  Yes, but if Explode does not kill Tonsa, then you're forced to bring in another pet, which throws off the rest of the strategy.  But I digress...

Anub is a fair match for Chirps.  Fair, but not excellent.  I can certainly beat Chirps, hands down, every time.  However, Chirps' attacks cannot be "completely nullified" as stated in the guide.  Chirps fires off Swarm, as well as Flank, which both take chunks off Anub's bar.  Don't forget, you want me to use Anub to beat Brewly (as well as Dah'da on Wrathion, since my Flayer Youngling will be dead, read on.)

Anub normally starts off with Brewly at about 75% health, assuming a proper Explosion finished Tonsa.  As with Chirps, I don't have any problem killing Brewly.  But, he does a lot more than just "fill the barrel, stormbolt, throw the barrel".  Right off the bat he hits you with Inebriate, which hits 100% of the time.  Two or three misses (which are now common, thanks to Inebriate), and Anub's health bar is looking very poor, which leads me to think a forfeit is the best choice.  We cannot "continue using Smash until/if your Anubisath Idol dies."  We need Anub for later, as I mentioned.

Taran Zhu is also a problem - not as much as the other two trainers in this group - but the listed strategy does rely very very heavily on RNG to get a win.  Alternating Consume and Leap will whittle down the Pandarens' health, but between Yen's Feign Death and Li's Heal, the two worms are always dead before the end of this fight.  I need to bring my Fossilized Hatchling in to mop things up, which works most of the time.  Definitely not pretty.

But back to Wrathion.  I'm consistently going into this fight with an Anubisath Idol at half health.  The Tolai Hare Pup vs. Cindy strategy works absolutely fine.  But I'd have to say, for me, the core problem of this strategy is that the Flayer Youngling is simply no match for Alex.  I do use Kick on CD and spam Blitz, but Alex does anything but die quickly.  I know her attack pattern, and I use Deflection on Flame Thrower.  My Flayer Youngling has died every time in eight tries, not even coming close to beating Alex.  And I'm supposed to take this little guy to the next round to face Dah'da?  I must be missing something.

In each fight, I've had to bring the Tolai Hare Pup back out to finish Alex after my Flayer Youngling dies, and he can sometimes defeat Alex, and sometimes not.  Regardless, even if he does take down Alex, all I have to face Dah'da is a Tolai Hare Pup with a sliver of health, and an Anub Idol with half health.

I wouldn't complain, but I'm sort of confused.  The other sections of your guide have carried me past all the other teams (this is the last one I have yet to face) as well as the Celestial pets, with basically no issue.  But with this team, I'm hitting a brick wall.  Do I need certain breeds of these pets?  And if so, why is that not mentioned in the master list?

Edited by Breakbeat

I'm honestly not understanding how your RNG can be affecting you that poorly, but I can believe it - I've had unparalleled success with the lineup I wrote up (I use it every week), but every once in a while, RNG will frustrate me to the point of turning red.  I still, after a few attempts, pull things off, so I'll try to hit on each point you made and see if we can resolve it.

Tonsa is a dick.  Let's be honest.  His stun rate SAYS 25%, but it feels a lot higher.  When I do these set of trainers, I consider Wrathion and Taran to be cakewalks, so I always start with Chen and deal with Tonsa.  If a stun happens and my Zep dies, I just restart.  It's by far the most frustrating part of these three, at least to me, so I'd recommend that.  I've also very rarely had to use Explode with my Zep to finish off Tonsa - I usually finish it with Missile blasts.  If you get an unlucky miss or Tonsa crits you, then you'd have to fall back on Explode.  The Zep dying isn't really a problem because you basically want to approach the tournament by having one pet counter each of the trainers' pets to the point you have at least one standing.

If you're beaing Chirps hands down every time, where is the frustration?  I guess the HP loss for Anub that you're depending on for other fights - sure, you lose some HP in the first couple of rounds, but once you apply Stoneskin, all of his damage is pretty low - even negated.  If you swap him out for the last pet, he'll recover 50% of the HP he lost in combat for the next round.  He really doesn't need to survive - I've had my Flayer Youngling easily take out the last two dragons of Wrathion, negating the need for the Anub Idol.  I think someone mentioned that their Flayer Youngling wasn't going first - I may have been silly neglecting to point out the breeds of my pets as I think my Flayer is a S/S build which trivializes Wrathion. 

For Taran Zhu, I've sent in my Fossilized Hatchling first and found it to be a better choice.  BONESTORM as many times as you can while alive to lower the HP of all 3 Pandarens fitting in Ancient Blessing which should allow a 2nd BONESTORM.  From there, the worms should easily be able to take out the last two.  Last time I did it, I didn't lose my first worm and 2nd worm was never used.  I haven't editted the guide in some time, so I will make note of that - you should find higher success on this trainer with that modification.

Your frustrations on Alex are more than likely to my error in omitting that my FY is a S/S breed and has enough speed to be faster than her.  If she's going first against your Flayer, there lies the problem.  The strat relies on you going first.  Based on what you have said, are you swapping in your Flayer Youngling instead of using your Tolai Hare Pup until it dies?  If you're wasting a turn swapping in the FY, then that could be adding a complication.  I'll probably need to add it to the guide, but unless it says so, you should continue using your pets until they die unless stated otherwise specifically.  Your Tolai Hare Pup could do enough damage to Alex to let your Flayer come in and mop up the rest letting your Flayer do some serious damage to Dah'da before needing to bring in your low HP Anub to finish the fight.

Your notes are not without merit - I wrote the guide and didn't receive a lot of negative feedback, so it's been neglected.  There are definitely things I do now differently to test different strats but I don't mention them in the guide.  I will make some heavy edits to this guide and see if strategies can be forged to make things simpler.  (Don't worry, I use the same pets!)  I appreciate you bringing your concerns so I can fix things.  Try using the notes I mention in this post and see if you get some more success.  I went through a lot of wipes, frustrating RNG, and finally some success when doing this guide - I've had numerous weeks of success with it, so I would attribute some of your frustrations to my negligence in mentioning breeds and if they factor in.  I'll be making those edits this weekend. 

Changes to make:

Taran Zhu - send in Fossilized Hatchling first.  Bonestorm, Ancient Blessing, something, Bonestorm.  Might have to do Bonestorm on last 'undead' round.  Should melt all 3 and let worms mop up.

Wrathion - don't swap out Tolai Hare Pup - use til it dies.  See if this keeps Flayer alive.  If still having issues, I may need to find a new pet to put in this team in order to be more reliable. 

Chen - get lucky or reset on Tonsa.

Also to note, you should/might have a Scourged Whelpling laying around that you don't need for this team line up - he has the ability to deal some serious damage, so don't be afraid to sub him in for the Anub Idol or the Flayer if things get nasty. 

• Like 2

Hello,

Thanks for writing back!

Zep vs. Tonsa.  I'll take that one as my bad.  I read your instructions as if I were intended to do all three (Decoy, then Missiles until the right time, then Explode.)  I can certainly cast missiles and keep my zep alive.  In retrospect it's plainly logical that I should keep it alive rather than self destruct, if I can.  And I understand I don't really need it alive anyway.  My insistence (in my mind) to cast Explode, meant that I had to time it right.  If I don't cast explode, which I won't need to, there's no problem.  Blaming this one on it being 3am when I posted.  =)

My frustration with Chirps was indeed only because of the lost health on Anub.  Between the tips you gave and my discovery from another guide that I can heal between fights using my Turnip and Wrathion, there's no issue there anymore either.

Taran Zhu noted, thanks!

My Flayer Youngling is indeed a different breed, B/B.  I never paid much attention to breeds, but I will either capture and level up an S/S, or find a suitable replacement.  Also, I was specifically switching out my Tolai Hare Pup after the Burrow damage landed on Alex, because it seemed I was intended to do so.  That might have been my bad, but I'm going to keep him in now, until he dies, and see how it goes.

And I do have a Scourged Whelpling.  I'll keep him in mind as well.

I really appreciate you writing back, I'll take all your points onboard and give it another shot.  Thanks for the further input =)

Edited by Breakbeat

Let me know how it goes.  If needed, I'll find you a new pet to fill in that slot and see if things go smoother. 

Thanks for your feedback - your input will be used to make the guide stronger.

Alright, here's how it went:

Chen: I beat him easily, keeping my Zep in until the last possible moment, timing Anub's abilities to deflect the sleep from Chirps, and then swapping for my strider when Brewly came out.

Taran Zhu: Sending in Fossil first worked beautifully!  Even with horrible RNG and a bunch of stuns, neither worm died, and I didn't even bring the second one in.  Nice =)

Wrathion: Followed your original strategy, keeping my Tolai Hare Pup in until he died.  Substituted Scourged Whelpling for Flayer Youngling, since my breed sucked.  Scourged not only beat Alex, but took a nice chunk of health off of Dah'da as well.  An easy finish with Anub.

I did heal Anub between fights, but that was only 'cause I was paranoid.

Success.  Thanks again =)