FORUMS
Oxygen

Deathwing Meta Tier List (April 2019)

89gwFzr.jpgary-2019.jpg

Our twenty-fifth Heroes of the Storm Meta Tier list for the month of April is here!

Welcome to Icy Veins's most belated Meta Tier List for the March 26 patch. The goal of this list is to try and detail game's current metagame state. The prime goal of such lists is to inform players regarding popular and trending team composition drafting strategies (i.e. the drafting metagame).

Using the list

Spoiler

Although tier listings are generally the product of balance, many factors come into play when discussing the relative perceived strengths of heroes, including player regions, maps, play style, skill level, and, of course, personal perception. As such, any tier list—including this very one—should never be interpreted as gospel, but rather, as a guide to better grasp what to expect with regards to typical drafting experiences. One useful application of such lists is to allow you know which heroes to look out for in terms of practice and counterplay, ultimately improving your knowledge of the game.

As stated above, tier lists are easy to mistake for gospel. As new strategies are discovered and experimented with, so changes the perception of the relative strengths of each hero. Tier lists still prove to be useful as a snapshot of player expectations in terms of drafting. Although it is generally considered preferable to focus on high tier heroes (Prime and Core tiers), it is important to note that Heroes of the Storm's wild character and map designs make it so that any given hero's tier position is prone to fluctuate depending on the situation at hand.

One classic example of such is that of Kerrigan on the Infernal Shrines map. Although we currently judge her to be a mid-tier hero, her drafting priority shoots up to first-pick or first-ban material on this specific map due to the nature of its objective. Certain heroes also synergise so well with each other that the sole fact of having the opportunity of drafting them together is generally enough to increase their potential. Tassadar and Tracer, for instance, are generally nightmarish to deal with for many. There are too many examples of these interactions to reasonably produce here, but we invite you to consult our guides to know exactly where and when each hero shines. The guides have been linked in the lists below for your convenience - just click any of the hero names to access them.

A  next to a hero's name means its tier list position has increased since the previous month whereas a  means just the opposite. Additionally, a + or - sign indicates short-to-medium term predictions (which is to say, about a month) for tier increase(s) or decrease(s), respectively. These are often updated after significant balance patches and/or when clear trends are emerging. The (ban) comment is a ban recommendation; Meta heroes should be picked and banned first, though heroes from other groups should be considered as well depending on how team compositions are shaping up.

If you're newer to the game, also consider visiting our glossary for a comprehensive list of discrete Heroes of the Storm terms.

Current ranked mode map rotation

• Alterac Pass
  • Battlefield of Eternity
  • Braxis Holdout
  • Cursed Hollow
  • Dragon Shire
  • Infernal Shrines
  • Sky Temple
  • Tomb of the Spider Queen
  • Towers of Doom
  • Volskaya Foundry

Meta picks

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
Anub'arak (ban) Ana (reworked)
Diablo (ban)              
Garrosh (ban)              

High-tier generalists

E.T.C. (ban) Artanis Thrall Genji (ban) Hanzo (ban) Jaina Malfurion
Johanna Imperius VarianTwin Blades of Fury Zeratul Raynor (ban) Kael'thas   Tyrande

Mid-tier generalists

Arthas Dehaka (ban) Alarak Tracer (ban) Cassia  Azmodan+ Abathur Alexstrasza
Mal'Ganis Sonya Kerrigan   Falstad Gul'dan Zarya- Auriel-
Muradin   Maiev   Fenix Junkrat   Brightwing
Stitches (ban)   Malthael   Greymane Kel'Thuzad    Kharazim-
VarianTaunt   Ragnaros   Lunara Li-Ming-   Li Li
    VarianColossus Smash   Sgt.Hammer (ban) Mephisto   Lt. Morales
        Tychus Nazeebo   Lúcio (reworked)
        Zul'jin Orphea   Rehgar
          Sylvanas   Stukov
          Zagara    

Low-tier generalists

Blaze Chen Gazlowe Valeera Valla Chromie (reworked) Medivh (ban)+ Deckard 
  D.Va Murky     Probius   Whitemane
  Yrel The Butcher          

Situational picks (map, team composition, or counterpick)

Cho'gall (ban) Leoric Illidan Nova Cho'gall (ban) Tassadar Uther (ban)
Tyrael Rexxar Xul Samuro     The Lost Vikings (ban)  

Meta heroes define the metagame. They are very often banned or picked right away, as they generally dictate the pace of most drafts and matches.

Generalists form the core of your team and are generally picked after Meta picks have been distributed. They tend to work on most maps, and as part of and against most team compositions. Since this group includes most heroes, I elected to split it into three tiers. High-tier rankings are a result of performance (i.e. win rates) and popularity (i.e. pick and ban rates). This means that heroes with high win rates can be set in low tier; the opposite may also be true.

Situational picks shine on specific maps or as part of specific team compositions.

• Like 1

I was missing these, and specially curious after the role rework. Thanks Oxygen.

Sad to see Deckard and Whitemane so low, but I agree. I expected the new Chromie to be High Tier, at least until they nerf Blessing of the BronzeBlessing of the Bronze .

Edited by lChronosl

"Deathwing Meta Tier List". I like the reference. Clever. Hahaha.

Nice to see you putting Ana as the best healer in the game, which I greatly agree. The rework made her so much more versatile without the hindrance of relying on stupid quest talents. And when you pair her with Malthael and Chromie (due to Blessing of the BronzeBlessing of the Bronze), things get REALLY interesting.

By the way, @Oxygen, since the game had a role rework, are you going to adopt it for future Tier Lists? Because, for example, Malthael, Thrall and Ragnaros are now classified as "Bruisers", yet they remain as "Fighters" in your system. Wouldn't be better to use the new role overhaul for your Tier List?

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lChronosl said:

I was missing these, and specially curious after the role rework. Thanks Oxygen.

Sad to see Deckard and Whitemane so low, but I agree. I expected the new Chromie to be High Tier, at least until they nerf Blessing of the BronzeBlessing of the Bronze .

We've only had a week of playtime here, but I'm not particularly confident about that. Blessing undoubtedly looks strong on paper, especially since "faster cooldown" is an impressive effect that's often misinterpreted (30% faster isn't the same as 30% reduction!). I'll be keeping a close eye on her performance.

35 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

By the way, @Oxygen, since the game had a role rework, are you going to adopt it for future Tier Lists? Because, for example, Malthael, Thrall and Ragnaros are now classified as "Bruisers", yet they remain as "Fighters" in your system. Wouldn't be better to use the new role overhaul for your Tier List?

I've thought about it and ultimately decided not to. The list (and whole site, really!) is meant to provide a deeper level of information than what can be found in-game. Bruiser has had a pretty clear definition set by other mobas, and I just don't feel like Heroes nails it. And so, this is why I went for a "team fight approach" system. You'll notice that, from left to right, the categories show how close to your opponent you (generally) want to be, and for how long, ideally.

• Thanks 3

Gosh i don't play HotS anymore and I've got Click Baited by Deathwing,...didn't feared the April 3rd fool's.

WP Oxygen.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Oxygen said:

We've only had a week of playtime here, but I'm not particularly confident about that. Blessing undoubtedly looks strong on paper, especially since "faster cooldown" is an impressive effect that's often misinterpreted (30% faster isn't the same as 30% reduction!). I'll be keeping a close eye on her performance.

This Reddit thread here has a great in-depth regarding that talent. I think it is worth taking a look. I have been testing internally with some friends and it indeeds feels very powerful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valhalen said:

This Reddit thread here has a great in-depth regarding that talent. I think it is worth taking a look. I have been testing internally with some friends and it indeeds feels very powerful.

Yeah, in hindsight... I often criticize the Heroes' team for failing to learn from the mistakes of past mobas. Couple years ago, Janna (League of Lols) had a global movement speed modifier that skewed a tonne of matchups. They ended up getting rid of that, and with good reasons. Now, if Chromie still ends up being so bad as a hero that Blessing can't make up for it - which is the theory I currently support - it'll still be a frustrating, poorly designed idea that'll be lost in a seemingly never-ending series of frustrating, poor Chromie-related decisions. I suppose it's thematic. But I digress.

2 hours ago, LeGoret said:

Gosh i don't play HotS anymore and I've got Click Baited by Deathwing,...didn't feared the April 3rd fool's.

WP Oxygen.

Yeah... I meant to release it two days ago, but a tier list is no oxy tier list if it's on time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oxygen said:

Yeah, in hindsight... I often criticize the Heroes' team for failing to learn from the mistakes of past mobas. Couple years ago, Janna (League of Lols) had a global movement speed modifier that skewed a tonne of matchups. They ended up getting rid of that, and with good reasons. Now, if Chromie still ends up being so bad as a hero that Blessing can't make up for it - which is the theory I currently support - it'll still be a frustrating, poorly designed idea that'll be lost in a seemingly never-ending series of frustrating, poor Chromie-related decisions. I suppose it's thematic. But I digress.

Endgame-speaking, Chromie is stronger than her past remake (yeah, but as strong as her launch version), and in the right team, Blessing of the BronzeBlessing of the Bronze is a massive powerspike for the entire team, specially considering it is a global buff that comes on level 18. I don't think it is a game-breaking talent nor it is overpowered in any means, but it is indeed very impactful on the right team.

For instance, I've been running Ana, with my two other friends as Chromie and Malthael. Nano BoostNano BoostBlessing of the BronzeBlessing of the Bronze + Soul RipSoul Rip and you can make quite the mess, even more so if you add Nano InfusionNano Infusion and Soul CollectorSoul Collector to the mix.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valhalen said:

stupid quest talents

This is the only way to describe quest talents. The overwhelming majority of them are too much effort for the payoff and/or hinder a natural gameplay flow. I, for one, am stoked that they've been slowly stripping them out.

2 hours ago, darkinchworm said:

This is the only way to describe quest talents. The overwhelming majority of them are too much effort for the payoff and/or hinder a natural gameplay flow. I, for one, am stoked that they've been slowly stripping them out.

I'm ok with some that are well designed. But most of them are a chore to complete and force you to use skills in a non-optimal way (i.e. spam to get completion).

• Like 1

I actually strongly disagree with placing Uther as a situational pick. I have had great results in just picking him every game. And I regularly outheal the enemy healer. Keep in mind that this requires Silver TouchSilver Touch to be picked over Wave of LightWave of Light, which you're actually not suggesting in the Uther guide. I used to pick Wave of LightWave of Light all the time, but I figured that I should at least try Silver TouchSilver Touch, and it's completely revitalized the hero for me. My team mates can actually now expect to be healed up if and when they go low.
I've only really played him in unranked though, so it wasn't the most serious of games. Take my experiences with a pinch of salt.

I agree with placing Whitemane in low tier. She just feels absolutely underwhelming at the moment.

Nice Deathwing Aprils fool joke though. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boomerrage said:

I actually strongly disagree with placing Uther as a situational pick. I have had great results in just picking him every game. And I regularly outheal the enemy healer. Keep in mind that this requires Silver TouchSilver Touch to be picked over Wave of LightWave of Light, which you're actually not suggesting in the Uther guide. I used to pick Wave of LightWave of Light all the time, but I figured that I should at least try Silver TouchSilver Touch, and it's completely revitalized the hero for me. My team mates can actually now expect to be healed up if and when they go low.
I've only really played him in unranked though, so it wasn't the most serious of games. Take my experiences with a pinch of salt.

I agree with placing Whitemane in low tier. She just feels absolutely underwhelming at the moment.

Nice Deathwing Aprils fool joke though. 😉

Uther suffers from severe mana hunger issues, and because of that there are other Healers that can outlast him in the long run. I don't think that Uther is a bad healer per se, and I agree with the points you've made, but in the current meta, there are better options. I personally always had good results with his Hammer of Justice Build, but depends on the team comp.

Silver TouchSilver Touch, while being a good talent, is locked behind a quest talent which will only come to fruition in the endgame. To be honest, Blizzard should give him the Ana treatment and rework him in a way to remove those unnecessary Quest Talents, as their design philosophy changed.

Whitemane still is a very powerful Healer, but her skill ceiling is very high. And after the recent nerfs, she became less rewarding to use.

I think the meta is slowly making double healer compositions viable again, and I think Uther could work wonders in that. And with the new role rework, maybe we can expect the ones that were reclassified go under some changes to better fit their new role. Only time will tell.

Edited by Valhalen

54 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

Uther suffers from severe mana hunger issues, and because of that there are other Healers that can outlast him in the long run. I don't think that Uther is a bad healer per se, and I agree with the points you've made, but in the current meta, there are better options. I personally always had good results with his Hammer of Justice Build, but depends on the team comp.

Silver TouchSilver Touch, while being a good talent, is locked behind a quest talent which will only come to fruition in the endgame. To be honest, Blizzard should give him the Ana treatment and rework him in a way to remove those unnecessary Quest Talents, as their design philosophy changed.

Since we are talking about Uhter, I want to share my thoughts as well. I usually pick him as an off-tank in the flex spot, specially to complement a sustained healer like Brightwing or Lúcio. He has the highest HP of all healers (not that much, but still), and his trait armor + some talents really buffs his survival. And his best partner in crime right now IMO is Rehgar, because they complement each other really well: Rehgar got slows, damage, sustained healing and shields and Uther brings the stuns, burst healing, stuns, armor and more stuns.

With the stuns galore build you can even kill some squishy overconfident ranged assassins by yourself, if you combo your CDs correctly (and they make the mistake of getting close enough). The focus of this build is survival and disruption, not healing. Jump in there right after your tank and drop the hammer. Not to mention all talent tiers are flexible, except for 1 (Hammer of the LightbringerHammer of the Lightbringer) for the stuns and 4 (Holy ShockHoly Shock) for self healing.

Your basic abilities rotation should be: Q + W (while approaching) > E > AA > R > AA > Q > AA > E. You can deal almost 2k damage and 4s shutdown at lvl 10.

Might not be the strongest Uther build, but it's the most fun IMO.

Edited by lChronosl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lChronosl said:

And his best partner in crime right now IMO is Rehgar, because they complement each other really well: Rehgar got slows, damage, sustained healing and shields and Uther brings the stuns, burst healing, stuns, armor and more stuns.

I personally like rolling Uther with Auriel for that bombastic stunfest and high burst heals. Even Uther himself is a decent candidate for Bestow HopeBestow Hope (Holy RadianceHoly Radiance gives a surprisingly amount of energy to Auriel if it hits a lot of enemies). I'm suspect to say since I main Auriel since her launch, but I think she pairs really well with Uther, better than Rehgar (who suffers from similar mana management issues).

I usually pick him as an off-tank in the flex spot, specially to complement a sustained healer like Brightwing or Lúcio. He has the highest HP of all healers (not that much, but still), and his trait armor + some talents really buffs his survival.

Couldn't agree more. He is suprisingly beefy for a Healer (and I think Blizzard should highly invest on that and make him even more tanky) and is scary on the frontline.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valhalen said:

I usually have Silver TouchSilver Touch completed within the first five minutes. I don't really have mana issues with Uther at all. The secret is to actually let the enemy hit you, while you have DevotionDevotion on yourself. That is, deliberately walk into a situation where the enemy will start hitting you. The trick though, is to still be able to get away. Those savage 5v5's in lvl 1, they usually give me the first 30 stacks of the quest. It's certainly not something that only benefits me in the endgame.
But I was kind of hoping for a change in Uther's role. In Warcraft 3 the Paladin hero was a hard hitting damage dealer with two supporting abilities, namely Holy Light and Devotion Aura, but his damage potential was never really in question. He felt badass. Remember how Varian used to be the only multiclass before Blizzard reworked the class system? I was kind of hoping Uther would someday be the same. Somehow Uther being a support first, feels a bit disrespectful to the Paladin hero from Wc3, so I'm certainly open to the idea of a rework, although I do believe that he's fine as he is. Certainly not the highest priority.

And just for the record, I don't think anyone's insinuating that Uther's a bad healer, just that he's situational. As are all heroes to be fair, but Uther to a greater extent. I just don't believe that he's that situational, as I tried to say before. I think he could easily be a generalist pick, provided you pick Silver TouchSilver Touch and make an effort to complete the quest early.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boomerrage said:

Somehow Uther being a support first, feels a bit disrespectful to the Paladin hero from Wc3, so I'm certainly open to the idea of a rework, although I do believe that he's fine as he is. Certainly not the highest priority.

Yeah, I kinda agree. On the other hand, both Uther and Yrel represent two scopes of the Paladin as a whole: Uther in HotS borrows many aspects from both the Holy and Retribution talent trees, while Yrel from Retribution and Protection.

Lorewise it is funny, because Uther and Yrel are Retribution Paladins (both use two-handed weapons and are known for their sheer power). Yet, I think the development team managed to reach a balance and represent the class pretty well through those two.

Edited by Valhalen

I think it is mainly the mindset people take when playing Uther. To me he is a bruiser. You draft him for peels and lock down and to beef up your frontline a little. Healing is secondary. But since he is classified as a Healer, he feels really underwhelming as a healer. If you go with the mindset as a straight healer, you are normally stressed the whole match because you have to save your burst healing for the right times, and if you do not you run out of mana. As a healer with 2 heals that have a 12 second cooldown make him feel very underwhelming. Can it work? yes. Is it the best? no not really.

4 hours ago, Boomerrage said:

But I was kind of hoping for a change in Uther's role. In Warcraft 3 the Paladin hero was a hard hitting damage dealer with two supporting abilities, namely Holy Light and Devotion Aura, but his damage potential was never really in question. He felt badass.

4 hours ago, Valhalen said:

Yeah, I kinda agree. On the other hand, both Uther and Yrel represent two scopes of the Paladin as a whole: Uther in HotS borrows many aspects from both the Holy and Retribution talent trees, while Yrel from Retribution and Protection.

Lorewise it is funny, because Uther and Yrel are Retribution Paladins (both use two-handed weapons and are known for their sheer power). Yet, I think the development team managed to reach a balance and represent the class pretty well through those two.

Don't forget guys that Anduin is coming soon™, and some speculation (like the fact that he wields Shalamayne and the way he fights at the first BfA trailer) points out for him to have a more paladinesque kit.

I can hope, at least.

Don't forget guys that Anduin is coming soon™, and some speculation (like the fact that he wields Shalamayne and the way he fights at the first BfA trailer) points out for him to have a more paladinesque kit.

I can hope, at least.

Anduin still is a Priest, though. He can wield the Shalamayne because reasons.

19 hours ago, Timotheaus said:

I think it is mainly the mindset people take when playing Uther. To me he is a bruiser. You draft him for peels and lock down and to beef up your frontline a little. Healing is secondary. But since he is classified as a Healer, he feels really underwhelming as a healer. If you go with the mindset as a straight healer, you are normally stressed the whole match because you have to save your burst healing for the right times, and if you do not you run out of mana. As a healer with 2 heals that have a 12 second cooldown make him feel very underwhelming. Can it work? yes. Is it the best? no not really.

Bruisers generally fulfill the solo laning and merc'ing duties; if you pick Uther on top of another healer, you better have a really solid game plan and coordination because there'll be some major gaps to fill in your team composition. That's why I have him as situational; he's not bad at all, but you can't pick him nilly willy expecting great results.

I suppose the name "tier list" is a bit of a misnomer as well, and might lead people to believe that situational heroes are "weaker" (which would follow logically since I order the rest by tier), but it's what people look for. Kinda hard to convey situational power with such a binary model.

• Like 2

Speaking of 'situational' heroes, I can't see why Leoric belongs here. There're very few (or even no) situations where he's considered a 'bad' or even 'dead' pick, and an early Leoric pick is completely fine. He just doesn't have any sort of 'hard counter' like Illidan or Chogall. In my experience, he's one of the most contested bruisers out there. He's anything but situational.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:51 PM, ShadowerDerek said:

Speaking of 'situational' heroes, I can't see why Leoric belongs here. There're very few (or even no) situations where he's considered a 'bad' or even 'dead' pick, and an early Leoric pick is completely fine. He just doesn't have any sort of 'hard counter' like Illidan or Chogall. In my experience, he's one of the most contested bruisers out there. He's anything but situational.

I completely agree. After he got his talents swapped around, his AA build is really good now and the sustain and damage out of it is great. Even with the E build, he has exceptional teamfight presence in the late game. He's a fantastic solo laner too, especially when you take Ossein RenewalOssein Renewal at 1 and Kneel, Peasants!Kneel, Peasants! at 4. I've played him to great success in the solo lane and he really helps at securing an early game advantage. 

In my opinion, he's better than any of the other bruisers in both the situational and low-tier generalist categories. He's mid-tier material in my books for sure, though I'd be skeptical about putting him any higher or lower than that.

Edited by Maxkitty

On 4/5/2019 at 11:51 PM, ShadowerDerek said:

The reason I have him there is that I see him as a counterpick to a melee bruiser offlane; range damage would give him trouble. He's not able to solo tank and claims mercenaries pretty poorly.

• Like 4