FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mode

Need advice on how to became great warlock

Well looking at your Protectors wipe...

It's not your fault you're not meeting the enrage timer.  You have some VERY poorly performing teammates.  WTF is Lindasavory doing at 185k on a Heroic multi-dotting boss?!

There's a lot of problems with a lot of your raid.  I'll only look at you, though, even though every single other Warlock needs to heed some advice.  One note: you guys cast Bloodlust at the end of the fight.  This is a MAJOR mistake for your entire raid.  All cooldowns are up and everyone is potioned for the start of the fight - Bloodlust then.  Using it at the end is a desperation tactic - there is no increased damage taken in execute phase for these guys.  Keep them stacked at the start and go apeshit on them at the start.  You only burst to 400k - this is a HUGE problem, but understandable with no Bloodlust at the start.

First off - you're target switching a lot - quit using the Observer.  The Observer wins in DPS by a VERY slight margin when no movement is required.  With just ONE target switch, the Imp wins out.  Better still - why are you not using GoSac here?  You should be cleaving with Chaos Bolt and Shadowburn a lot thus putting a higher emphasis of damage on CB and SB.  Switch talents.  You might be putting too high of an emphasis on Rain of Fire or Immolate.  I see a VERY large issue - a fundamental one...

uzscN3E.png

Do you see what I see?  The green shaded bar is your Toxic Power proc.  The light blue shaded bars is your Chaos Bolt casts.  NONE OF THEM LINE UP!  There - in a nutshell - is your largest mistake. 

Guest garmeth06

I see, what did I use them with then? How about PBI? I'll fiddle with the pins to see if I can get to that same overlay. Indeed, I target switch like a madman because of immolates, did not know that about the imp. I do know that I am very flustered on that fight between casting an immolate and using a chaos bolt with only toxic power. Most the time I choose the immolate and wait till I have PBI+dark soul to dump bolts.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7dxnj4a91200rs19/details/11/?s=880&e=1170

How am I missing an apparent 50k dps here? I know I do a much better job with empowered chaos bolts on this fight, where I dont have to worry about a messy priority list of immolating 3 targets. 

Edit: also did my shadowburn line up with toxic power at the end of the protectors??

Edited by garmeth06

7j1KM3J.png

Your first Chaos Bolts were fine.

You prioritized your next two with Dark Soul instead of trinket procs.  This is a mistake.

You fired 3 Chaos Bolts between proc windows and you even consumed one of them with Backdraft.  This is a large mistake.

On your next proc window, Dark Soul wore off and Toxic Power wore off before you fired 3 Chaos Bolts with PBI proc live.  You missed out on a huge DPS capture here. 

You fired zero Chaos Bolts on your next proc window of which you had all 3 procs up.  This is just inexcusable.  You followed the large proc window of 0 Chaos Bolts cast with two Chaos Bolts cast with zero procs up. 

Without looking, I'm hoping, begging, and praying that you cast a shitload of Shadowburns during the last 40 seconds of the fight.  You had every proc live for almost the entirety of Bloodlust. 

Your largest issue is Chaos Bolting during procs.  Get Weakauras.  If you have them, make them larger.  If they're big, make them play noise.

Guest garmeth06

7j1KM3J.png

Your first Chaos Bolts were fine.

You prioritized your next two with Dark Soul instead of trinket procs.  This is a mistake.

You fired 3 Chaos Bolts between proc windows and you even consumed one of them with Backdraft.  This is a large mistake.

On your next proc window, Dark Soul wore off and Toxic Power wore off before you fired 3 Chaos Bolts with PBI proc live.  You missed out on a huge DPS capture here. 

You fired zero Chaos Bolts on your next proc window of which you had all 3 procs up.  This is just inexcusable.  You followed the large proc window of 0 Chaos Bolts cast with two Chaos Bolts cast with zero procs up. 

Without looking, I'm hoping, begging, and praying that you cast a shitload of Shadowburns during the last 40 seconds of the fight.  You had every proc live for almost the entirety of Bloodlust. 

Your largest issue is Chaos Bolting during procs.  Get Weakauras.  If you have them, make them larger.  If they're big, make them play noise.

I have tellmewhen and they are large and I see them, I just made conscious decisions to immolate during those times iirc. Except for the times when I apparently missed PBI too, thats just bad.

I think I focused way too much on immolate, and chaos bolting during on havoc. Most of these I feel are me making conscious decisions not to bolt, rather than not seeing my shit go off. We'll see what i can do this weekend.

This does lead me to another question. I suppose if I have two + procs up I should focus on chaos bolting rather than immolating random stuff, especially when the rook's desperate measure pops. I hardcast immolate on all 5 targets and I think that made me miss a few procs, build up excess embers, and then dump those three in nothing.

Edited by garmeth06

I just made conscious decisions to immolate during those times iirc.

What?  Why would you make a decision to cast Immolate instead of Chaos Bolt?!

This does lead me to another question. I suppose if I have two + procs up I should focus on chaos bolting rather than immolating random stuff, especially when the rook's desperate measure pops. I hardcast immolate on all 5 targets and I think that made me miss a few procs, build up excess embers, and then dump those three in nothing.

You should be using Chaos Bolt with ONE proc, let alone two.  Chaos Bolt should be your ULTIMATE priority with procs - ALWAYS.  It should be your major source of damage.  Look at my parse that I posted - it was still my highest source of damage, even with applying Immolate to everything on CD.  The difference between your 290k and my 490k is Chaos Bolt, and a little bit of gear - but much more with Chaos Bolt.

Guest garmeth06

What?  Why would you make a decision to cast Immolate instead of Chaos Bolt?!

You should be using Chaos Bolt with ONE proc, let alone two.  Chaos Bolt should be your ULTIMATE priority with procs - ALWAYS.  It should be your major source of damage.  Look at my parse that I posted - it was still my highest source of damage, even with applying Immolate to everything on CD.  The difference between your 290k and my 490k is Chaos Bolt, and a little bit of gear - but much more with Chaos Bolt.

Because I thought the DPET of immolate was much higher than it actually is apparently :P. It would explain why this is my worst fight in terms of Epeen bot %. 

I do however think I did a few ultimate sins, applying immolate to bosses and adds when it had 40% duration over deciding to chaos bolt them, hmm.. 

at least I know now :)

Immolate does 6-7 ticks of damage.  Normal ticks in my 577 gear was around 57k with Critical ticks being 130k.  Even if EVERY single tick crit, we're looking at 7*130k = 910k damage.  A single Chaos Bolt buffed by Dark Soul OR KTT OR PBI will break 1M. 

Oh, and I tend to be hypercritical on mistakes - I use emphasis as a reminder.  I haven't had anyone take my advice, use it, then come back and say they hated the way I delivered it.  Try not to think of me yelling at you like 'OMG YOURE STUPID' and think of it as an overeager coach yelling from the sidelines 'DONT USE IMMOLATE, USE CHAOS BOLT!  CMON!' 

Whatever you decide to do, you have 3 other Warlocks in your raid who are performing LEAGUES below you.  They need an Immolate lit under their asses - talk to your raid leader and have him direct them to look at resources to boost their damage.  Hovering around 200k on a Heroic boss is mindboggling. 

• Like 1

Guest garmeth06

Duly noted. I'm digging deeper into this and I think I'm about to induce a heart attack.

at 22:36:30 When I used my chaos bolts on a dark soul and didn't use any during KTT and PBI, I activated fire and brimstone.

This is when rook went into his desperate measures and we stacked most of the monsters, I think we had 4 stacked, sun, he, and two of the adds. In retrospect this was a clearly bad decision, one, the adds aren't stacked immediately, and two, im pretty sure chaos bolt would have done more damage here than fire and brimstone even if the 5 adds were immediately stacked. 

at 22:40 I activated another fire and brimstone missing those procs with another conscious decision.

And yea I'm totally fine however you choose to deliver it, I have very thick skin and doesn't matter what anybody says. Plus I got an ego boost on my best fight, did 400k on dark shaman a few days ago, looking to possibly rank or come very close once I can get to maybe 575.

And as for the other raiders, I'm not necessarily looking to down garrosh or even blackfuse before the expansion ends. I started late, and im just happy to raid again. I'm new and it would piss the leader off if I did something like that anyway - The guild is just fine for me as is smile.png. I'm a lot more hardcore and goal driven when it comes to sc2, or counter strike. I take this more casual.

- Thanks for all this Zagam, going to try for 360kish next attempt.

-Also im still a skeptic on 310k on IJ. There's basically nothing going on in that fight I think my parse is essentially flawless with any potential mistakes only accounting for maybe a 5k swing in dps- let alone 50k. Since you've done so much today maybe you can look at that one later this week and put my theory/possible ignorance to test.

Edited by garmeth06

At the moment i am playing with destro and i am thinking about another spec (aff/demo). I would like to have another spec which would not require to change my gear (gems/enchants.. not to change too much) and not to loose dmg done with destro..

If it is possible which spec should i pick? and how should i change my gear?

Just go mastery > haste and you can off spec either Affliction or Demo just fine.

For reference I play destro with ktt at over 12k haste and swapping to bboy lets me hit 13737 and 14880 without any gem changing.

Demo needs a considerably higher amount of haste for fury and imp generation, but the 10124 haste cap for Destruction will give you the 9778 threshold for affliction that works well. Your DoTs won't tick as fast, but they'll hit incredibly hard.

• Like 1

Demo needs a considerably higher amount of haste for fury and imp generation, but the 10124 haste cap for Destruction will give you the 9778 threshold for affliction that works well. Your DoTs won't tick as fast, but they'll hit incredibly hard.

Am currently running this, and I find that in fights that are short enough to justify me running aff, this setup works well. The GCD clipping on destro is slightly annoying, but it's much better than the 2k+ it would cost me to reforge/regem myself for 3 fights in the tier.