FORUMS
Valks

Melee DPS Druid 1.12 (Classic)

This thread is for comments and feedback regarding our Melee DPS Druid guide for World of Warcraft: Classic.

Hi Grouseone,

Thanks for the feedback, but there is going to be progressive itemization to an extent. Items that were not added until later phases, such as relics from dungeons, will not be added until later on. This could be subject to change, but this is our current understanding based on what has been said.

Guest RandomDruid

Rogues do not get 2 AP for every Agility, but 1. Please correct this, it made me look like an idiot; a rogue friend disenchanted an item because of this info.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:31 AM, Guest RandomDruid said:

Rogues do not get 2 AP for every Agility, but 1. Please correct this, it made me look like an idiot; a rogue friend disenchanted an item because of this info.

My bad, I definitely meant to say Hunters there when I was writing it. I'll fix it. 

Guest Tankanoid

Small detail, but in the rotation guide when describing the optimal way to pool energy/handle your rotation, you say that you should be shifting into cat form immediately after your second shred. This will likely get you locked out of cat form while your gcd is still ticking, which can possibly cause you to AA in caster form and lose significant dps. 

You should only powershift when the gcd is off cooldown and >1.2 seconds before an energy tick if you're below 20 energy. These conditions ensure that you're

1. not wasting auto-attacks
  2. not wasting energy (you can fit in a claw if you know you're not going to hit a good powershift timing, this results in a dps gain)
  3. not wasting gcds/mana

Guest Meno
On 10/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, Guest Burgershift said:

maybe you should edit the enchants.

Because I highly doubt 9 intellect is the best weapon enchant for a melee dps druid.

the best weapon enchant for a dps druid should be Formula: Enchant 2H Weapon - AgilityFormula: Enchant 2H Weapon - Agility
Which requires you to have find an enchanter or have rep with timbermaw hold if you are an enchanter yourself

Well, I would say 2 things about that. 1 you need the mana for more shapeshifts. And 2 you're going to be using crowd Pummlers. This weapon is disposable and multiple will be used throughout a raid

What's the feral rotation without shred?

Why do I ask?  Because I'm resto and need to get all my spells off first, then shift to feral once they're in melee range without being behind the mob(with limited ability to move, to avoid aggroing other mobs in the vicinity)

Edited by Eyeroll

On 1/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, Guest Meno said:

Well, I would say 2 things about that. 1 you need the mana for more shapeshifts. And 2 you're going to be using crowd Pummlers. This weapon is disposable and multiple will be used throughout a raid

A druid in my guild has an ever lasting bag of crowd pummelers.  He uses them on every raid boss fight.

Guest Jack

I guess if you are in a Dungeon or Raid and you could stay in cat form you dont need wolfshead helm as BiS gear, something like eye of rend is better in my Opinion. Can you add it? Change it at the BiS gear?

Thanks for the whole list - awesome page at all!

On 7/31/2020 at 8:26 PM, Guest D3ft said:

Feral druid NR set has a Mail piece for the leg slot.

Good catch, they should be "Cenarion Reservist's Leggings," not the Legguards. Same quest, just the leather reward instead of the mail. I've committed a fix for this.

The proposed rotation only works when you are in a party and someone else is tanking the mobs for you. Considering that farming is a significant part of WoW Classic, It would be nice to also have a rotation for solo play.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, Eyeroll said:

A druid in my guild has an ever lasting bag of crowd pummelers.  He uses them on every raid boss fight.

This might have been the standard back in 2005, but I think this is the exception now. Most players have a job and a family. There was only one one guy farming Crowd Pummelers in my guild, and he stopped playing after just a few MC. While there is no doubt that the Crowd Pummeler's effect is awesome, it takes a huge amount of time to farm these, especially if you are raiding 2, 3 or even 4 times a week. At the end of the day, if you have some time to spend in the game between raids, you will spend it on farming components for the consumables you need for raiding, or working on your reputations.

You have to accept that feral DPS druids will never be on top of the charts in Classic anyway, no matter what. Their true value is in their versatility. Even if one feral DPS druid spends a lot of time farming Crowd Pummelers and uses them on every boss, that's barely going to move the needle if you look at the overall picture at the raid level. Casting Innervate or Rebirth at the appropriate time, on the other hand, can save the day.

Additionally, as phases are being released in Classic, greater conventional weapons become available for feral DPS druids, such as the Blessed Qiraji War Hammer. This is closing the gap with the Crowd Pummeler's effect to some degree, making the farming thereof even less appealing in my humble opinion.

Guest Pad

Elemental sharpening stone doesn't work in Cat/Bear. It's kinda silly this is still listed in consumes in P6.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:11 PM, Guest Pad said:

Elemental sharpening stone doesn't work in Cat/Bear. It's kinda silly this is still listed in consumes in P6.

Thanks for the tip, I'll fix it. You're right that it should have been fixed ideally awhile ago, but unfortunately sometimes little things like this slip through since consumable lists are long and plentiful, and one of dozens of pages. In this case you're just the first one to catch it here.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:27 PM, Hellaciouss said:

Frost Oil does not work in cat/bear form, nor does Shadow.

Thanks, that snuck in the list at some point. I'll edit it out.