FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
positiv2

Havoc Demon Hunter PvE

Guest Shanalotte

Hey there,

Patch 9.0.5 left me with a question, that I'm still not sure of how to answer it, and I would like some mathematical answer.

Since 9.0.5 I have been using the Darkglare Boon legendary (kinda liked it beforehand tbh), but I can't decide myself what to do with the resets and the interaction with the Blind Fury talent, should I spend my fury before using the reset ? Or should I just spam Eye Beam ?

This is mainly for single target, since in aoe situation, spamming Eye Beam is kinda obvious (I still use Glaive Tempest in between recasts).

Thanks to icy veins for all your guides (on other games too, especially PoE !), been following them for quite a while now.

18 hours ago, Guest Shanalotte said:

Hey there,

Patch 9.0.5 left me with a question, that I'm still not sure of how to answer it, and I would like some mathematical answer.

Since 9.0.5 I have been using the Darkglare Boon legendary (kinda liked it beforehand tbh), but I can't decide myself what to do with the resets and the interaction with the Blind Fury talent, should I spend my fury before using the reset ? Or should I just spam Eye Beam ?

This is mainly for single target, since in aoe situation, spamming Eye Beam is kinda obvious (I still use Glaive Tempest in between recasts).

Thanks to icy veins for all your guides (on other games too, especially PoE !), been following them for quite a while now.

In pure single-target you should bleed off a bit of Fury (usually around the 50-70~ mark) and re-cast to make use of it & also extend the time on Furious Gaze, AoE you're right that just firing it is going to work out best.

Guest Faiding

The Warmode PvP talents section needs to be updated.  It claims that following:

Reverse Magic IconReverse Magic, Eye of Leotheras IconEye of Leotheras, Mana Rift IconMana Rift, Detainment IconDetainment, Cover of Darkness IconCover of Darkness, Cleansed by Flame IconCleansed by Flame, Mortal Rush IconMortal Rush, and Mana Break IconMana Break all have very limited uses in PvE, due to it being very focused upon crowd control tools, or pressuring enemy players into spending more resources than they would otherwise want to.

Most of this is wrong.  Reverse Magic, Cleansed by Flame and Cover of Darkness are incredibly powerful in PvE.  Reverse Magic is basically a Cloak of Shadows, Cleansed by Flame is a baby CoS and CoD is a flat increase to Darkness mitigation chance.  None off which are focused on crowd control or pressuring enemies.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:06 AM, Guest Faiding said:

The Warmode PvP talents section needs to be updated.  It claims that following:

Reverse Magic IconReverse Magic, Eye of Leotheras IconEye of Leotheras, Mana Rift IconMana Rift, Detainment IconDetainment, Cover of Darkness IconCover of Darkness, Cleansed by Flame IconCleansed by Flame, Mortal Rush IconMortal Rush, and Mana Break IconMana Break all have very limited uses in PvE, due to it being very focused upon crowd control tools, or pressuring enemy players into spending more resources than they would otherwise want to.

Most of this is wrong.  Reverse Magic, Cleansed by Flame and Cover of Darkness are incredibly powerful in PvE.  Reverse Magic is basically a Cloak of Shadows, Cleansed by Flame is a baby CoS and CoD is a flat increase to Darkness mitigation chance.  None off which are focused on crowd control or pressuring enemies.

Like outlined in the section, the talents picked there for War Mode in PvE is basically just grabbing whatever leads to the faster kills on enemies because ultimately survival tools (specifically Cleansed by Flame and Cover of Darkness) are very specific uses rather than being incredibly powerful in a universal sense, and most of the situations that require it aren't problems that are run into in the open world due to how trivial the content tends to be.

Havoc Demon Hunter DPS Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities 

Section 5 discussion opening rotation for AOE, I think Glaive Tempest should probably be step 3 if the player has chosen that talent, since the author suggests casting it after Meta and before Eye Beam in the single target rotation. I could be wrong but sitting on an available Glaive Tempest throughout the opening AOE rotation seems like a bad move since its an instant (w/ global). 

Or if I'm wrong, maybe some text on that section to acknowledge why its not cast, would be interesting to know.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:43 PM, strangeluv said:

Havoc Demon Hunter DPS Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities 

Section 5 discussion opening rotation for AOE, I think Glaive Tempest should probably be step 3 if the player has chosen that talent, since the author suggests casting it after Meta and before Eye Beam in the single target rotation. I could be wrong but sitting on an available Glaive Tempest throughout the opening AOE rotation seems like a bad move since its an instant (w/ global). 

Or if I'm wrong, maybe some text on that section to acknowledge why its not cast, would be interesting to know.

I can probably add it in, generally you'd want to get it used just before Meta to consume some of the Fury generated with Blind Fury, otherwise you'd delay it until after Meta to pad out a couple more globals of Furious Gaze assuming you have the Fury banked (which between Immo Aura+one Felblade, should just about cover). Hadn't really considered AoE openers in it (it's more of a catch-all answer section for general use) since it's a lot more freeform, but it's a good suggestion so I'll try and fit it in there.

Guest Zulgrim

Why exactly is Burning Hatred worst than Insatiable Hunger? In my last m+ run, I used 59x Immo and 369x Demon's Blade with my CoH build. That mean Burning Hatred would generate 59* 60 fury (and on burst!) while DB would generate 369x 7,5 fury. That's 3504 with Burning Hatred and just 2767 with Insatiable Hunger. Insatiable Hunger can bring cca 1% additional dmg increase with 20% DB damage.

Whats more? 1% flat damage or 737 fury? More Chaos Strikes, more Eye Beam's thants to reduction (and more fury from Blind Fury then).

What am I missing? Why is every guide saying that Burning Hatred is garbage in comparison to the rest in the row?

On 7/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, Guest Zulgrim said:

Why exactly is Burning Hatred worst than Insatiable Hunger? In my last m+ run, I used 59x Immo and 369x Demon's Blade with my CoH build. That mean Burning Hatred would generate 59* 60 fury (and on burst!) while DB would generate 369x 7,5 fury. That's 3504 with Burning Hatred and just 2767 with Insatiable Hunger. Insatiable Hunger can bring cca 1% additional dmg increase with 20% DB damage.

Whats more? 1% flat damage or 737 fury? More Chaos Strikes, more Eye Beam's thants to reduction (and more fury from Blind Fury then).

What am I missing? Why is every guide saying that Burning Hatred is garbage in comparison to the rest in the row?

Without a log to look at directly, it's hard to give a concrete answer - however I can give you the reasoning behind why burning hatred is perceived to be worse (though in M+ it's a lot less concrete because downtime helps it much more vs. IH).

When you are looking at raw casts, there's a good chance that some of that BH gain is wasted from Blind Fury overcapping you without anything you can do, so it's not a 1:1 "every cast is exactly 60 Fury", while with IH generally speaking you'll only be pressing it when you are Fury starved - leading to a pretty reasonable assumption it always gives the full 7.5~ average gain per cast. There's also the extra raw damage gained from just Demon's Bite in the first place (though minor in M+, is more than nothing). Part of it is just that M+ pull variables makes it very hard to give a hardline estimation on Fury generation that also accounts for gaps in pulls that vary wildly between groups, but all things being equal the average should still lean toward IH that also adds more control in your gain vs. relying on IA cooldowns.

That being said in the Mythic+ section it does already say that Burning Hatred is a legitimate option and is close, it's just that in raid scenarios with constant combat it's a lot harder to compete when we have raw comparison numbers over time.

On 12/2/2021 at 4:59 AM, Guest Hawaiian said:

new to dh how  do i obtain agony gaze?

it's a reward for hitting rank 48 renown with the Venthyr covenant

Hello and thank you for this guide.

I was looking at ranked DH on Sylvanas, and I can see that they cast Blade Dance / Death Sweep every 5 seconds.

You can clearly see it on this log example :

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FA94hfryXKYNpanB#fight=10&type=casts&source=13

Is there an explanation about it ? Mine is every 7,5 s with 650 haste. The player in the example has 500 haste and cast it every 5 seconds the whole fight. Even if I gear up to 1000 haste, I'm at 6,9s...I'm a little bit surprised. I can see he benefits from Power Infusion, but not sure it's granting him enough haste to reduce the interval to 5s.

Guest Cygani

Regarding the "Collective Anguish" legendary, it should really be explicitly stated that when paired with Unity/Agony Gaze the Fel Devastation cast by the allied DH also increases the duration of Sinful Brand. The whole basis of the current Venthyr build is the more-or-less 100%  Sinful Brand uptime. If you go with Darkglare Medalion you are relying on RNG for additional uptime (and will almost certainly loose it a few times) whereas Collective Anguish will give you a comfortable 20 additional seconds every time. This guide only notes that Darkglare has more RNG, but does not explain the mechanics of why that is important (or clarify the gaping hole in Blizzard's tooltip for Unity/Agony Gaze that strongly implies that it's only the "Eye Beam" damage that increases Sinful Brand duration.)

Guest FireToad

I tried using the code to import talents, but the results in game do not line up with what is displayed in your guide. Couldn't be sure if it is a localized issue.

Guest Str

Hi, please add best races sim. I don't know who I should start playing as. In Dragonfly, it doesn't matter if you play Horde or Alliance. Need best races

On 10/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Guest Str said:

Hi, please add best races sim. I don't know who I should start playing as. In Dragonfly, it doesn't matter if you play Horde or Alliance. Need best races

I don't have sims specific for them available, but it also just comes down to talents taken. Being that these guides are for pre-patch, you would generally prefer Blood Elf for the 1% Critical Strike but Night Elf during the night time would be better for a Raid setup.

Come Dragonflight with Know Your Enemy talented, Always play Blood Elf. It is an extremely minor dps difference however being that both specs are a choice at 1% of a stat as their racial for dps, and even then they have the same stat 12 hours of the day.

On 10/28/2022 at 9:14 AM, Guest FireToad said:

I tried using the code to import talents, but the results in game do not line up with what is displayed in your guide. Couldn't be sure if it is a localized issue.

Should be fixed now! Was an issue with how I was exporting from in-game, Seems when I was test-importing it would cause all my exports to generate the same code until relog.

Guest Framnk

This guide is a bit confusing as a new DH.  It mentions Death Sweep in several spots but this ability doesn't exist in the spellbook or as a talent in the new tree.  I can only assume Death Sweep = Blade Dance based on the rotations from other pages?

Guest Baz

Recommended dungeon gear is a bit... strange. There are some Legion items in there

21 hours ago, Guest Framnk said:

This guide is a bit confusing as a new DH.  It mentions Death Sweep in several spots but this ability doesn't exist in the spellbook or as a talent in the new tree.  I can only assume Death Sweep = Blade Dance based on the rotations from other pages?

Death sweep (and Annihilation) are the what Blade dance and Chaos Strike turn into when in metamorphosis form.

5 hours ago, Guest Baz said:

Recommended dungeon gear is a bit... strange. There are some Legion items in there

It's the page for season 1 pushed early, Halls of Valor and Court of Stars are in Dragonflight's Mythic+ Season 1.

Guest Kaidia

I'm confused on this with patch 10.0.7. The mythic+ talent build is stating to not put a talent point into glaive tempest, but the rotation still has this in it. Wouldn't we want to talent into glaive tempest for the AoE damage?

Are the Mythic+ tips still under review for patch 10.0.7? The new talent tree does not put a talent point into glaive tempest, however the rotation still states to use glaive tempest. Would we want to talent into this for the AoE that's in mythics?