FORUMS
Damien

[Archived] Fire Mage 5.4

Guest Hiker

Currently, as of 9/6/12 your "Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot (WoW MoP 5.0.4)" is not listing MoP gear. Instead your guide is listing Cata gear even though you are calling it an MoP guide.

It would be very useful to have a pre-raid BiS guide for MoP to aid us in gearing up for raiding in MoP.

Thanks!

Currently, as of 9/6/12 your "Fire Mage DPS Gear and Best in Slot (WoW MoP 5.0.4)" is not listing MoP gear. Instead your guide is listing Cata gear even though you are calling it an MoP guide.

It would be very useful to have a pre-raid BiS guide for MoP to aid us in gearing up for raiding in MoP.

Thanks!

Technically, the Patch 5.0.4 is part of Mists of Pandaria, hence the change from 4.x.x to 5.x.x in the numbering system. We are still listing Cataclysm gear because on live server, this is what you can currently obtain. Have no doubt that this will be promptly updated once MoP is released :)

I got this by using simcraft:

EDIT:

I'm sorry this list was out of date. Here is the latest simcraft database with names, gems and enchants.

ARCANE

head=whitemanes_embroidered_chapeau,id=81692,gems=burning_primal_80int_160haste_180int,reforge=crit_hit

neck=pendant_of_precise_timing,id=81095,reforge=crit_haste

shoulders=forgotten_bloodmage_mantle,id=81569,enchant=200int_100crit,reforge=crit_haste

back=scorched_earth_cloak,id=81575,enchant=lightweave_embroidery_3,reforge=mastery_haste

chest=spelltwisters_grand_robe,id=82437,enchant=80all,reforge=mastery_hit

wrists=deadwalker_bracers,id=82825,enchant=180int,reforge=crit_haste

hands=spelltwisters_gloves,id=82438,gems=80int_160hit_60int,enchant=170haste,reforge=mastery_haste

waist=girdle_of_endemic_anger,id=81058,gems=160int,reforge=crit_haste

legs=leggings_of_unleashed_anguish,id=82854,enchant=285int_165crit,reforge=crit_hit

feet=scarlet_sandals,id=81699,gems=160int,enchant=175hit,reforge=crit_haste

finger1=vithrak_gaze_of_the_deadman,id=87550,enchant=160int

finger2=eye_of_the_tornado,id=81182,enchant=160int,reforge=mastery_haste

trinket1=vision_of_the_predator,id=81192

trinket2=flashfrozen_resin_globule,id=81263

main_hand=headmasters_will,id=82859,enchant=jade_spirit,reforge=crit_haste

FIRE

head=whitemanes_embroidered_chapeau,id=81692,gems=burning_primal_320hit_180int

neck=pendant_of_precise_timing,id=81095

shoulders=shoulders_of_engulfing_winds,id=81235,enchant=200int_100crit

back=cape_of_entanglement,id=81084,enchant=lightweave_embroidery_3

chest=spelltwisters_grand_robe,id=82437,enchant=80all,reforge=mastery_hit

wrists=deadwalker_bracers,id=82825,enchant=180int

hands=spelltwisters_gloves,id=82438,gems=80int_160hit_60int,enchant=170exp,reforge=mastery_exp

waist=girdle_of_endemic_anger,id=81058,gems=160int

legs=leggings_of_unleashed_anguish,id=82854,enchant=285int_165crit

feet=scarlet_sandals,id=81699,gems=160crit_160hit_60int,enchant=175hit

finger1=vithrak_gaze_of_the_deadman,id=87550,enchant=160int,reforge=mastery_hit

finger2=alemental_seal,id=81141,enchant=160int,reforge=haste_hit

main_hand=headmasters_will,id=82859,enchant=jade_spirit

FROST

head=whitemanes_embroidered_chapeau,id=81692,gems=burning_primal_320hit_180int,reforge=crit_hit

neck=pendant_of_precise_timing,id=81095

shoulders=shoulders_of_engulfing_winds,id=81235,enchant=200int_100crit

back=scorched_earth_cloak,id=81575,enchant=lightweave_embroidery_3

chest=spelltwisters_grand_robe,id=82437,enchant=80all

wrists=deadwalker_bracers,id=82825,enchant=180int

hands=spelltwisters_gloves,id=82438,gems=80int_160hit_60int,enchant=170exp

waist=girdle_of_endemic_anger,id=81058,gems=160int

legs=leggings_of_unleashed_anguish,id=82854,enchant=285int_165crit

feet=scarlet_sandals,id=81699,gems=160haste_160hit_60int,enchant=175hit

finger1=vithrak_gaze_of_the_deadman,id=87550,enchant=160int

finger2=signet_of_the_hidden_door,id=81560,enchant=160int

main_hand=headmasters_will,id=82859,enchant=jade_spirit

Edited by linduc
  • Like 1

Hi to all,

I was wondering why have PoM in Pyroblast rotation marco (meaning have it automatically used when its available) instead of using it....after a Pyroblast Proc in order to try and fish a bigger ignite for your Combustion?

That way you will land two Pyroblasts on your current target with a higher chance of a big ignite.

PoM CD is 1.5min same as Combustion which ofcourse with the tier bonus is faster now...but anyway in every two Combustions you will have your PoM ready to fire up a pyroblast just after a pyroblast proc.

I dont think that a free Pyroblast every 1.5 mins will give you higher DPS than having it trying to fish a big ignite on every other combustion and given the Combustion Glyph will last longer.

Thank you for your time

That's an interesting thought. I need to take the time to test it, so I added this to my TODO list :)

• Like 1

Guest Manuel

That's an interesting thought. I need to take the time to test it, so I added this to my TODO list Posted Image

To describe what happened to me on our latest test raids is:

1. On time warp situation

2. Proc on Pyro..fire it....ignite on 17K

3.PoM Pyro crits....ignite on 24K....

4.Heating up from PoM Pyro....

5.Inferno Blast and Pyro proc

6.Fire third pyro in the row.....ignite on 32K

7.Me on a sky-rocket on recount and skada....(legendary was helping but the dps was huge)

:

1.2.2. Casting Inferno Blast

• #showtooltip Inferno Blast
  • /stopcasting
  • /cast Inferno Blast
Use this macro to cast Inferno Blast as soon as Heating Up is up, so as to transform it into Pyroblast!. Letting your current spell cast finish would, in most cases, erase your Heating Up.

Not correct. Because "the current spell", generally assumed to be a fireball, has a flight time it is very easy to toss in Inferno Blast while it is in flight, forcing the Hot Streak proc before that Fireball lands, and potentially starting a new heating up, as said previously in the guide:

This is infact incorrect.

Heating up can be dropped if you score a non-crit from a DoT, therfore, if heating up procs as you start a fireball cast, it can be dropped by a non-crit from combustion, ignite or Living bomb by the time you have finished casting Fireball. You ARE better off using a /stopcasting macro with inferno blast to prevent this happening

Note: It seems that Heating up cannot be procced from a DoT crit, but a DoT non-crit can force the buff off.

This MAY actually be a bug as it seems to drop off at random times. Combustion SEEMS to be the main culprit, but other DoTs can cause it to happen.

Until the 'bug' is fixed, I would continue using the stopcasting macro

EDIT:::

OK...

Just spent 30 minutes on a target dummy and discovered something annoying as hell:::

its NOT your DoTs that can cause Heating up to drop off. Its your goddam Mirror Images that can cause the Heating up to drop off. That one HAS to be a bug. Goddam annoying if they say its 'working as intended'

Edited by Boradan

If you macro PoM to Pyroblast what is to stop it from activating PoM during a Hot Streak cast. If that were to happen it would benefit the next cast time spell which more than likely will not be Pyroblast. It makes for a great opener but the macro is almost completely unreliable in a normal encounter without staring at your buffs all day just to watch and see when PoM appears.

I'm just getting back on this to let you know that when you cast an already instant-cast Pyroblast, it does not consume Presence of Mind. So, I added the macro again with proper explanations :)

OK...

Just spent 30 minutes on a target dummy and discovered something annoying as hell:::

its NOT your DoTs that can cause Heating up to drop off. Its your goddam Mirror Images that can cause the Heating up to drop off. That one HAS to be a bug. Goddam annoying if they say its 'working as intended'

On the beta (Patch 5.0.5), it doesn't do it so it might be something that will be fixed with the release of MoP :)

HMMM... been testing again, and now it ISNT happening any more. The buff is staying its full duration unless you cast fireball.

Thats REALLY odd

HMMM... been testing again, and now it ISNT happening any more. The buff is staying its full duration unless you cast fireball.

Thats REALLY odd

Are you sure it isnt the Legendary Staff that is dropping your Heating Up? I noticed Teracgosa has the tendency of ruining Hot Streaks by repeating a Critical Fireball with a non-critical Fireball... its really annoying. (altough sometimes she procs a critical after a critical, witch immediatly causes Hot Streak)

Are you sure it isnt the Legendary Staff that is dropping your Heating Up? I noticed Teracgosa has the tendency of ruining Hot Streaks by repeating a Critical Fireball with a non-critical Fireball... its really annoying. (altough sometimes she procs a critical after a critical, witch immediatly causes Hot Streak)

I dont have the legendary ;)

My recent testing actually DIDNT have a single warming up dropping off. I was maybe getting lag issues which caused the timing to be off, though the 0.25 second delay to a fireball non-crit dropping off heating up should have cancelled out the lag.

Guest Roxsanne

I'm wondering if they increased the hit cap. I was practicing on the raiding dummies and I'm gettting alot of misses. Is it still at 17% or is there a glitch?

Guest Bratâk

I'm wondering if they increased the hit cap. I was practicing on the raiding dummies and I'm gettting alot of misses. Is it still at 17% or is there a glitch?

the boss dummies are on mop lvl (93)

Hi to all,

I was wondering why have PoM in Pyroblast rotation marco (meaning have it automatically used when its available) instead of using it....after a Pyroblast Proc in order to try and fish a bigger ignite for your Combustion?

That way you will land two Pyroblasts on your current target with a higher chance of a big ignite.

PoM CD is 1.5min same as Combustion which ofcourse with the tier bonus is faster now...but anyway in every two Combustions you will have your PoM ready to fire up a pyroblast just after a pyroblast proc.

I dont think that a free Pyroblast every 1.5 mins will give you higher DPS than having it trying to fish a big ignite on every other combustion and given the Combustion Glyph will last longer.

Thank you for your time

I've eventually added this tip to the guide, thank you! :)

I've eventually added this tip to the guide, thank you! Posted Image

I may be a good mage....and using your site since you started.........but i keep on forgeting that i can sign in with my FB account at your site Posted Image

Your welcome.....keep up the good work guys.....!!!!

Edited by Manuel

Dumb question of the day ....

Posted ImageGlyph of Fire Blast will enable you to spread Posted ImageLiving Bomb with Posted ImageFire Blast.

... Fire Blast? I dont seem to be able to find this spell in my spellbook. Is it Inferno blast now?

spell_fire_fireball.jpgFire Blast is a base spell for all mages. You should be able to find it in your spellbook no matter what your specialization is. spell_mage_infernoblast.jpgInferno Blast also spreads ability_mage_livingbomb.jpgLiving Bomb as the tooltip indicates.

Guest Mark Wightman

This is so strange. I can see it on the Arcane and Frost tabs of my spellbook, but not my Fire one ... any ideas anybody?

Inferno Blast = Initial damage that crits and Procs Heating up and spreads dots

Fire Blast = Initial Damage and spreads LB

While on fire spec you need the proc and the spread so they replaced Fire Blast with Inferno Blast

While on Arcane and Frost you cant use the inferno blast proc so they kept Fire Blast in order for you to be able to spread Living bomb in case you spec for it.

Edited by Manuel

Guest Mark Wightman

So to confirm I'm not going mad .... you dont have Fire Blast if you are in Fire spec?

So to confirm I'm not going mad .... you dont have Fire Blast if you are in Fire spec?

No, I was wrong there. I just now bought dual specialization on my mage and specialized into fire. Your Inferno Blast does indeed replace your Fire Blast.

Posted Image

As you can see in the tooltip, Inferno Blast replaces Fire Blast.

If you macro PoM to Pyroblast what is to stop it from activating PoM during a Hot Streak cast. If that were to happen it would benefit the next cast time spell which more than likely will not be Pyroblast. It makes for a great opener but the macro is almost completely unreliable in a normal encounter without staring at your buffs all day just to watch and see when PoM appears.

My apologies if this has already been answered differently, but I have several "mod" macros that I use, where a certain modifier (typically the shift button) will cause a different spell to be cast. Could you put your modifier in to say, if you hold down shift, it will cast PoM Pyro, if not, just Pyro? The realms are currently down for Terrible Tuesday, so I cannot test straight away, but I suspect with a little creative macroing, you could accomplish this task...

[updated] I tested this and found, for me at least, it is easier to have two separate macros. One for Fireball/Pyro [mod:shift] and another for PoM Pyro. I can cast Fireball all day long, and when I proc Pyroblast!. I hold down shift and g2g. The other, PoM/Pyro macro. The two look like this:

#showtooltip [mod:shift]Pyroblast;Fireball

/cast [mod:shift]Pyroblast;Fireball

#showtooltip Pyroblast

/cast Presence of Mind

/cast Pyroblast

Edited by Mohatmus

Guest gardibolt

This is infact incorrect.

Heating up can be dropped if you score a non-crit from a DoT, therfore, if heating up procs as you start a fireball cast, it can be dropped by a non-crit from combustion, ignite or Living bomb by the time you have finished casting Fireball. You ARE better off using a /stopcasting macro with inferno blast to prevent this happening

Note: It seems that Heating up cannot be procced from a DoT crit, but a DoT non-crit can force the buff off.

This MAY actually be a bug as it seems to drop off at random times. Combustion SEEMS to be the main culprit, but other DoTs can cause it to happen.

Until the 'bug' is fixed, I would continue using the stopcasting macro

EDIT:::

OK...

I think this broke again as of 5.0.5. Until then, the Heating Up on live didn't drop off if I had a non-crit in between, but as of 5.0.5 now it does. So I've gone to using a stopcasting macro for Inferno Blast because I was losing I'd guess about 40% of my Heating Ups without getting any Pyroblast! Since this design was supposed to reduce the randomness of Fire, I have to believe this is a bug. I have pretty significant lag so that may enter into it as well, but I do know the stopcasting macro has made a huge DPS difference.

This looks like its more of a pve forum, but I got a pvp question. Should I be using glyph of Fire Blast when I use Living Bomb. I undestand its good sometimes to spread the dots, but there is rarely a bunch of people real close and it only spreads to 2 other people. Should I be using something else?

Guest Ecke

I Found a good use of the alter time ability, especialy in the beggining of an encounter. In order to increase the chanses to get a big pyroblast crit right before doing combustion you should make use of Alter Time.

i will write my usual opening rotation

invocation/rune of power

pre pot

living bomb.

cast as usual untill all trinkets/spellthread procs

make sure to get a Hot streak

NOW pop Alter Time, and right after cast the instant pyroblast.

See if it crit or not. if it did crit then pop combustion on the target.

if it didn't crit, cast as usual untill Alter Time give you the instant pyro back.

Cast the instant pyroblast again. hopefully this time it did crit and if so pop combustion.

This opening rotation will increase your chanses of landing a great combustion with all prepotts and trinkets active instead of waiting for a Hot streak and risk the possibility of your prepot and int procs running out.

This looks like its more of a pve forum, but I got a pvp question. Should I be using glyph of Fire Blast when I use Living Bomb. I undestand its good sometimes to spread the dots, but there is rarely a bunch of people real close and it only spreads to 2 other people. Should I be using something else?

I answered you in this thread. Posted Image