FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kazistrasz

[Balance] Moonkin Info and Fixing Your DPS

I'm happy to help look through anything I can, but really you need to get me some Warcraft Logs. WoL is no longer maintained, has bugs and errors everywhere, terrible validation, etc. WCL also has other features WoL doesn't and presents information in a much more accessible and friendly manner. Almost no one uses WoL anymore.

Also, record your own logs. Anytime someone else is recording, things can get messed up, especially on any fight where you may end up phased from each other (Norushen, Sha) or simply out of range of one another (towers with Gal, Spoils, etc.)

Sha of Pride:

7:38 is a really, really, REALLY long duration for this fight, so your DPS is going to be skewed lower simply because you had such a long fight and your opener is going to count for less of it. I didn't actually know you could go this long on Sha without hitting enrage.

87% and 86% uptime on DoTs is not something you want to see. Get those up. A lot.

CD usage looks good.

You're missing an entire Solar Eclipse because you're not the person logging here. 

Also, you had 134 Shooting Stars procs but only 86 Starsurge hits/crits. That seems really low to me. Focus on getting more out of them.

That's really about as much as you're getting out of me with WoL. Start taking your own logs and uploading them to Warcraft Logs and you'll get better reviews.

I'm happy to help look through anything I can, but really you need to get me some Warcraft Logs. WoL is no longer maintained, has bugs and errors everywhere, terrible validation, etc. WCL also has other features WoL doesn't and presents information in a much more accessible and friendly manner. Almost no one uses WoL anymore.

Also, record your own logs. Anytime someone else is recording, things can get messed up, especially on any fight where you may end up phased from each other (Norushen, Sha) or simply out of range of one another (towers with Gal, Spoils, etc.)

Sha of Pride:

7:38 is a really, really, REALLY long duration for this fight, so your DPS is going to be skewed lower simply because you had such a long fight and your opener is going to count for less of it. I didn't actually know you could go this long on Sha without hitting enrage.

87% and 86% uptime on DoTs is not something you want to see. Get those up. A lot.

CD usage looks good.

You're missing an entire Solar Eclipse because you're not the person logging here. 

Also, you had 134 Shooting Stars procs but only 86 Starsurge hits/crits. That seems really low to me. Focus on getting more out of them.

That's really about as much as you're getting out of me with WoL. Start taking your own logs and uploading them to Warcraft Logs and you'll get better reviews.

alright thanks! I have another raid tonight, tho most will be normal bosses most likely, I'll try to upload my own logs on Warcraft Logs and post a link here

I just downloaded the warcraft logs client, and made an account, but I haven't figured out how to get it to run and record yet.  I am not raiding but I want to test it out on a target dummy so that I can have some kind of log to present when I ask for help with my character. 

Here is my armory link though for a quick perusal to see if there are any immediate suggestions on things to change, I know I need a lot of upgrades and the cleave trinket isn't ideal. I haven't  been able to get BBoY, or PBoI , but it does have an intel proc and it was alot better than my ilvl 476 trinket so I took it and am holding onto it for now. 

I know that I am struggling with getting my NG to stay up 100%, it ends about 3 sec before I can get an eclipse change and get it flowing again, but my dps is about 80-90k dps, sometimes it dips all the way down to about 70k ish, and goes up to about 120k depending on procs. But (and I am proud of this part) as soon as I see an SS proc I always get them off, I don't miss them or let them overlap eachother unless I am stunned or something unforseeable happens. 

Thank you in advance

Edit*  Ok, I "started a logging session" and I named it for my character, but  what is the log file called?  should it be named after the character name I selected? I  went into the WC logs folder and there was nothing but a couple of script files.  There was no file named after my character and on the WC logs uploader screen there was no "save" option  for me save the file or anything. 

I think I am missing something and feel kind of dumb

Edited by AstanoVidatu

Ok,  where it says "description (optional)" I typed in my character name for ease of finding it. But nomatter what I did, as soon as I clicked "stop logging" on the WC Logs uploader, that window went blank, and nomatter how many times I looked in the WC logs folder there was nothing in there, maybe I misunderstood but I thought it would make it's own log file. But when I went into my main WoW folder, there was a "logs" folder and I found a file it let me upload. So here is the link,  this was mainly a trial run to make sure it worked at all, but here is a basic target dummy trial. I know it was a little sloppy, like when I got a solar eclipse I hit a starfire, and when I hit a lunar eclipse I hit a wrath a couple times. But other than that,  that's basically what I am working with. 

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fr6ym1BZWdPjF4bx/

Looks like you figured it out.

I would recommend getting the add on "logger head" it will auto log instances you enter that you specify. Then all you need to do is hit "start live logging session"

I can save you up some time - as you probably know, owls in this expansion are extremely dependent on gear. As your gear gets better, your dps goes better even more. There are a couple of dps "breakpoints", firstly its first haste cap - which is easy to get and maintain.Then it's your set bonuses - 2 piece is quite low, but 4 piece is really nice. Then it is trinkets, and then it is legendary meta gem. With each of these you'll get increasingly better dps. Also you should aim into crit, as much as you can get. 33%~ crit is when you can start competing with other classes.

SS proc usage will also get down, simply because the more crit and haste you have the more they will overlap. Not to talk about casting starfire, it even happens to get multiple ss procs when you're on GCD after using SS proc ^.^ 

Looks like you figured it out.

I would recommend getting the add on "logger head" it will auto log instances you enter that you specify. Then all you need to do is hit "start live logging session"

And from there it will save me a log file that I can upload via the WC logs uploader and post here for review?

Yes.

WoW logs via the command /combatlog.  When that command is enabled, it makes a new file called WoWCombatlog.txt in the Logs directory of your WoW folder.  

Loggerhead will pop up a box when you enter a new instance and ask you "Do you want to log instance X (Y player difficulty)?"

You say yes or no, and it will continue to log only when you are in that instance that you specify.

When you do "Live logging" in WCL it takes that file and automatically logs it while you're doing it.  That way you don't have to remember to upload it later (warning: remember to delete your log file every now and then, it can get pretty large)

Otherwise, you can just log it, then upload it later via the client if you don't want to live log or forget.

Yes.

When you do "Live logging" in WCL it takes that file and automatically logs it while you're doing it.  That way you don't have to remember to upload it later (warning: remember to delete your log file every now and then, it can get pretty large)

Otherwise, you can just log it, then upload it later via the client if you don't want to live log or forget

For some reason the WC Log uploader wasn't working for me the way it sounds like it should.  It says "start live logging session" but it asks me for a folder. Since the WC Loader didn't make a folder I created one myself and then selected that folder, thinking that it would put a log file in that aforementioned folder.  But as soon as I selected "stop logging"

it didn't say "saved" or give me any indication that there was a file created or saved anywhere. And Even though it says "Description (Optional)" at the top and I type in a name, as soon as I pick the stop logging button option, the name I had typed in blanks out and then that's it. Hitting view report pulls up a window basically telling me "No information available" 

I wasn't able to get any log till I went into wow's folder specifically and found that particular file. I am going to try the logger head or loggerhead lite addon and then see what file it makes and try out a 5 min segment on the dummies, or try out an lfr or something to give you a more helpful sample than the 90 sec clip on a target dummy. 

Thank you for the help and suggestions!

When it asks for a folder you use the logs folder in your wow directory.

Wow makes the log file, not WCL

When you do live logging it automatically uploads it after each combat event.

any updated help you could offer me based off the new WCL link i posted? Is ~40% crit unbuffed too much? i'm at the 10296+ haste point.

Edited by CatFrank

Yes. Sorry it's taken so long. Just haven't had as much time to just sit down and look through a log.

There's no such thing as too much crit. The only other thing to put it in would be mastery, which isn't anywhere near as good. The haste breakpoint is 10289. At 10296 you reach the GCD cap and haste stops providing much benefit to anything.

Let's take a look at Malkorok.

DoT uptimes: 81% and 82%. This is not good. 95% or higher is your target.

Nature's Grace at 75% uptime. For a single target fight this should be close to 90%. You're not cycling Eclipses fast enough. Most people not cycling Eclipses fast enough in single target are spending way too much time refreshing DoTs for looking at AffDots or something. But, your DoT uptimes are low, so I'm not sure what you're doing.

Looks like you were late using Incarnation on the start. Should be pre-cast along with Starfall and your potion. Speaking of which, you never used your second potion. Doesn't look like you pre-cast the Starfall either.

There's a big minute-long stretch where you were barely doing anything near the end. Looks like some Wraths in there while you're still moving toward a Solar, and just looks like some general downtime with casting. I don't know what you were doing, but this is where you lost a lot of uptime on NG and your eclipses.

Did good on using Shooting Stars, though.

Yes. Sorry it's taken so long. Just haven't had as much time to just sit down and look through a log.

There's no such thing as too much crit. The only other thing to put it in would be mastery, which isn't anywhere near as good. The haste breakpoint is 10289. At 10296 you reach the GCD cap and haste stops providing much benefit to anything.

Let's take a look at Malkorok.

DoT uptimes: 81% and 82%. This is not good. 95% or higher is your target.

Nature's Grace at 75% uptime. For a single target fight this should be close to 90%. You're not cycling Eclipses fast enough. Most people not cycling Eclipses fast enough in single target are spending way too much time refreshing DoTs for looking at AffDots or something. But, your DoT uptimes are low, so I'm not sure what you're doing.

Looks like you were late using Incarnation on the start. Should be pre-cast along with Starfall and your potion. Speaking of which, you never used your second potion. Doesn't look like you pre-cast the Starfall either.

There's a big minute-long stretch where you were barely doing anything near the end. Looks like some Wraths in there while you're still moving toward a Solar, and just looks like some general downtime with casting. I don't know what you were doing, but this is where you lost a lot of uptime on NG and your eclipses.

Did good on using Shooting Stars, though.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to look at my logs.

I will work on my dot up-times, I've been trying to refresh them only as they are about to fall off, or when i have a meta gem proc. I need to move my weak auras so they are more visible to me maybe i don't see them fall off all the time. I've just started trying the "next level" tips so i'm trying my best.

Sometimes i catch myself just short of solar and don't realize it that's where the extra wraths during solar phase prolly came from.

Hey, I've been trying to work on my throughput. I've read many self-help forums and chatted with a few other druids. The druids i've talked to say everything looks right. Unfortunatly, I am not performing up to what I want to. I took some sample logs against a target dummy (solo one in ironforge) and compared them to simcraft with the same buffs, lust, and stormlash totems.

Simcraft Says:

- 450s should = 391,749.1 DPS

- 200s should = 391,849 DPS

Can anyone give me any advice? NG, eclipses, dots all look fine to me. Wasted starsurge procs are unavoidible, I hammer the starsurge key as soon as i see it proc regarless if im casting something already.

WarcraftLog

I should have more logs by the end of tuesday night's pug raid.

Edited by Edesina

First - SimCraft isn't very good at modeling fights. Don't go with the numbers it says. The fact that it's giving you roughly the same number for a 3:20 fight and a 7:30 fight is proof enough that it's not doing it right. Looking back at my good Malk parse from a few weeks ago, 30% of my damage was in the first 30 seconds of the 3:39 fight. The longer the fight goes, the more your DPS goes down.

Second - I can't really do anything with Target Dummy parses. Need to be in a real raid setting with full raid buffs to have a log where things end up looking like they should. Also, actual raid settings introduce things you have to focus on besides just your rotation and are more realistic because of it; most people look better on dummies.

Edesina, I can't see why you have such a bad time at malkorok. So far from 10 hc fights I've found malk probably the easiest fight I got to dps. It's like hitting training dummy. Just try to split your movement into small GCD length periods. You get 1 sec to move after/while refreshing dots, after getting ss proc or activating starfall. During these periods of time try to position yourself close to an existing bubble and plan in advance where you will go if a bubble spawns at you. In order to see bubble spawns clearly (I'm using default UI) I've disabled floating text on myself. 

Maybe it's somehow different int 25 man, but during 10man fight I'm pulling what could be my best dps in soo. If you have any questions how to deal with specific mechanics - feel free to ask, I'd be glad to help.

hey guys.. i have a quest.. at what ilvl should i be aiming for the second haste cap?? the 10k ish.... im low lvl right now... only 540 and no legendary gem or cloak... soo.... im just wondering when i should start to get the second haste cap... wait til i get the cloak i guess?? or around 550+

There's no magic threshold. Some people say go to 10k when you can do it and still keep 10k crit, some say 11k, some say 12k. A lot of that depends on the itemization of your gear. If your gear is crap and has little crit on it naturally and lots of mastery, you're not going to be able to push that breakpoint as easily because you'd be crit starved.

Quick question regarding crit rating with the 4-set and whether or not do dump some into mastery. I know there isn't a definitive answer but is there any recommendation? I know crit value changes based on fight length and single vs multi-target. On average for single-target fights my SS proc waste is between 25-40 procs. 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/madoran/Mastaboom/advanced

You never want mastery over crit. Ever.

Work more on reducing wasted SS procs. Also, most of your wasted procs will come at the start of the fight when you have monster amounts of haste going on - when I hit the opener I'm putting up DoTs every 0.65 seconds. They tick in pairs and last for 14 seconds. That's going to be a lot of waste.

More crit helps give you more later in the fight when you can actually end up getting starved.

• Like 1

You never want mastery over crit. Ever.

Work more on reducing wasted SS procs. Also, most of your wasted procs will come at the start of the fight when you have monster amounts of haste going on - when I hit the opener I'm putting up DoTs every 0.65 seconds. They tick in pairs and last for 14 seconds. That's going to be a lot of waste.

More crit helps give you more later in the fight when you can actually end up getting starved.

Thank you. I just was never sure whether or  not too much crit was an issue (aside from fast kill times).

For mastery to be worth more than crit... you'd have to have kill times down to like 90 seconds.