FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
positiv2

King Varian Boss Guide

Guest Aggravated player

Im assuming that there was an update to the fight or something, but this guide is useless. You draw the same cards, in the same order, every game.

The draw gives you the same 3 cards each time, and the mulligan gives you the same 3. Literally every time I've played him it's been:
Silver Hand Regent (3)
Ironforge Rifleman (3)
Sword of Justice (3)
followed by these for the mulligan:
Recruiter (5)
Stormpike Commando (5)
Shimmering Courser (4)

You draw Intrepid Initiate on turn 1, followed by the Squire on turn 2. Varian has two Taunt minions who deal damage to every emeny minion ever time he summons a minion, so between that and his hero power, "flooding the board" is completely impossible. The Shimmering Courser is supposed to only be targeted by the player for powers and spells, making it the only viable minion in your deck, but Varian just sends it to its room just like everything else.

16 hours ago, Guest Aggravated player said:

Im assuming that there was an update to the fight or something, but this guide is useless. You draw the same cards, in the same order, every game.

The draw gives you the same 3 cards each time, and the mulligan gives you the same 3. Literally every time I've played him it's been:
Silver Hand Regent (3)
Ironforge Rifleman (3)
Sword of Justice (3)
followed by these for the mulligan:
Recruiter (5)
Stormpike Commando (5)
Shimmering Courser (4)

You draw Intrepid Initiate on turn 1, followed by the Squire on turn 2. Varian has two Taunt minions who deal damage to every emeny minion ever time he summons a minion, so between that and his hero power, "flooding the board" is completely impossible. The Shimmering Courser is supposed to only be targeted by the player for powers and spells, making it the only viable minion in your deck, but Varian just sends it to its room just like everything else.

I retried the fight and it seems to be bugged just like you described. I managed to win thanks to a lot of lifesteal from hero power, despite getting fairly unlucky on Varian's hero power rolls. My only suggestion is to abuse Silver Hand Regent and hope for decent rolls on both your and Varian's hero power. It does feel needlessly difficult as it is now, though. You can also try to wait until this issue is resolved by Blizzard, because I could not find a mention of it being intended behaviour anywhere.

Guest Alex

After repeating this awful fight more times than I can count my biggest piece of advice is 1. your opening mulligan is fine just start the game, don't try to get 1 mana cast minions in your opening draw it wont happen, 2. RNG plays a VERY heavy role in this fight, if you die it's probably not your fault as much as you think it is, don't beat yourself up and 3. use your hero power literally every turn, but most importantly you pick the Paladin secret "Repentance" on turns 1+2 or turns 2+3 as he always drops "Fight Trainer" a 2/4 taunt minion that deals 1 damage to all enemies on turns 3+4 and if you can't destroy both of them ASAP it's game over. The other route would be to get the Rogue secret that deals 4 damage if you combo but for me that didn't pop up often so I didn't have that option. From there it's a lot of RNG and trying to flood the board with small minions so your big minions will survive the culling from his hero power. I didn't choose the healing spell offered from the hero power at all, not even once, although I did get lucky enough to have the 3/3 lifesteal buff card twice and got to use it once before the minion died. My main focus was on removal spells for board control.

(I apologize this isn't very in depth, i'm not trying to be vague I just can't remember every step I took while fighting, I didn't expect to win the round that I did!)