Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Shadow Priest 5.4

• Intellect;
  • Hit Rating or Spirit (until 15%);
  • Critical Strike Rating;
  • Haste Rating;
  • Mastery Rating.

I don't know how to calculate this status and other stuffs, but i want to know how crit goes first than haste now? has something to do with dp being not presente always on the target?

Under Tier 2 Talents, the second last sentence says that Leap of Faith will not take you out of Shadowform, which is incorrect. It will only keep you in Shadowform if you use the Glyph of Dark Binding.

Under Tier 2 Talents, the second last sentence says that Leap of Faith will not take you out of Shadowform, which is incorrect. It will only keep you in Shadowform if you use the Glyph of Dark Binding.

Thanks! I've made the change, it should be up in a little while :)

One more thing I just noticed... on the Buffs and Debuffs page it lists Purify, but I believe its only available to Holy and Discipline Priests.

Divine Insight is so OP and then so fun. If there are 2-3 adds in a fight, SW: Pain makes chain proc Mind Blast and Devouring Plague every single second. On LFR Madness I did 100k average dps.

In the last platform I was only chain casting Mind Blast - Plague - SW: Death, I felt like a DK with unlimited runic power. Also it's a passive talent.

The rotation guide shown needs some fix.

The right rotation is:

Mind Blast -> keep DoTs up,

Mind Blast when ready, Devouring Plague at 3 orbs with priority to everything.

Edited by Rhey

also a general tip i'm been testing out is that best before a boss fight get 3 shadow orbs up so you can use devouring plague at the start allrdy :)

One more thing I just noticed... on the Buffs and Debuffs page it lists Purify, but I believe its only available to Holy and Discipline Priests.

Thanks. Fixed this. The change should go up soon.

Divine Insight is so OP and then so fun. If there are 2-3 adds in a fight, SW: Pain makes chain proc Mind Blast and Devouring Plague every single second. On LFR Madness I did 100k average dps.

In the last platform I was only chain casting Mind Blast - Plague - SW: Death, I felt like a DK with unlimited runic power. Also it's a passive talent.

The rotation guide shown needs some fix.

The right rotation is:

Mind Blast -> keep DoTs up,

Mind Blast when ready, Devouring Plague at 3 orbs with priority to everything.

Thanks. I've made these changes as well. Regarding the rotation, we feel that we were still correct (keeping DoTs up listed as #1 is not necessarily to say that it's more important when you have to decide between that and casting Devouring Plague - it's just there because it's the basis of your gameplay and you always want to have them ticking, never letting them fall off). Regardless, we've moved applying DP with 3 orbs above Mind Blast.

So is crit really our number 1 stat now?

After Intellect and the Hit Cap, yes, Critical Strike is the next best stat. Haste comes close, though.

this weekend i played a little with my spriest. I had a little problem some times with the spell_priest_mindspike.jpgMind Spike proc. Some times I had other priorities in place to cast ms and when I went to cast was to late and I actually cast and removed my dots. What I come with to solve this problem is do a macro for cast and cancel the spell. The problem is i don't know how to do this, if some one knows would be nice to have this macro in the macro section of the guide.

this weekend i played a little with my spriest. I had a little problem some times with the spell_priest_mindspike.jpgMind Spike proc. Some times I had other priorities in place to cast ms and when I went to cast was to late and I actually cast and removed my dots. What I come with to solve this problem is do a macro for cast and cancel the spell. The problem is i don't know how to do this, if some one knows would be nice to have this macro in the macro section of the guide.

I assume you are referring to procs from spell_holy_surgeoflight.jpgFrom Darkness, Comes Light. If so, the macro you are looking for is very simple.

#showtooltip Mind Spike

/cast Mind Spike

/stopcasting

I don't know if issues such as this have been rectified (I'll check in game in a sec), but if you do this the icon on your action bar may not "glow" when you get a proc. If so, you'd need to get a Power Aura or some other way of finding out when you have the proc

Edit: just checked, and it glows just fine even with the macro. So, happy spiking!

Edited by Vlad

yes is the procs from spell_holy_surgeoflight.jpgFrom Darkness, Comes Light that I'm referring. And the spell don't have issues, the issue is with me. Some times when I had the proc I take to long to cast and in the final second I did cast but the proc is off, in other words, I lose a proc because i was to slow or had to renew a dot.

And thanks for the macro.

Guest bobbo

I still have a real hard time figuring out how crit can be a better stat than haste and even mastery for that cause. Anyone wanna clear that out instead of just saying "It's better!"

I'm still having a hard time believing that crit could climb in our priority so extremely much. Can anyone clear that out for me with some numbers, instead of just saying "Crit is better!", because i personally believe that haste is better atm.

It's my understanding that crit overtakes haste at the 8085 haste break-point (2 extra ticks of DP and SW:P). Up 'til then it's Haste>Crit>Mastery.

My current simcraft (ilv407) still shows haste>mastery>crit.

[edit] Just noticed that my priest was at 28.4% haste, so will probably lower the value of haste significantly when I hit 30% and VT+2 again.

[edit2]

Re-simmed with 30% haste and got Crit > Haste=Mastery

So yeah, haste to 25% (or 30%) then crit. But really, sim your toon. There's so many factors that can shift your scaling. Professions, race, talents, the relative value of your stats, etc.

This excellent post digs under the hood.

Edited by Stasis

Guess what I was trying to say, the trouble with 'one size fits all' stat weights, is they don't work.

The BiS stat weights that are most often quoted have almost no relevance to someone that's in normal raid gear, or pre-raid gear, or two pieces shy of BiS...

BiS profiles have high values in all stats, simply due to the high iLevel; so BiS may say that +Crit will give you the most DPS, but that profile already has a lot of haste.

e.g. The BiS Shadow T13H shows Crit > Haste=Mastery, but it has 32.36% Haste! It has no relevance to someone whose Toon is sitting on 20% Haste. If they then went and reforged themselves for Crit > Haste = Mastery, it would surely be a DPS loss, over say, reforging up to 24.97% Haste and then Crit > Mastery.

Best thing to do if you want accurate reforge info, is find out your haste break-points, forge to the closest, and Sim yourself. The beauty is, once you Sim you can plug your personal stat weights into your reforge website and get the perfect reforge.

Here's the lv90 breakpoints. Borrowed from http://warcraft.twintop-tahoe.com/. Percentages are the same at lv85. 2437 for 24.97% and 3051 for 30.01%

Posted Image

In terms of offering stat-weights, I'm not sure how'd you'd get around this. Maybe offer generic pre-raid/normal/heroic stat weights or reforge hints? Or, suggest stacking Haste until 8085. And a quick Simulationcraft for dummies write-up?

The Twintop site is suggesting (on August 26th) that below 8085 Haste our stat weighting is:

Int > SP > Haste > Spi = Hit > Crit > Mastery

And once we hit 8085 Haste it's:

Int > SP > Spi=Hit > Crit > Mastery = Haste

Interestingly, at this point we'll be gemming for Haste until 24.97%.

There's way too much information on that site to compile here, but he has Simcraft data posted to back up the weightings on the previous pages of that link. I spent hours reading through it all, and I'm no theory crafter, but it all makes sense to me. It's basically working the same as it has in Cataclysm - Haste to the break-point and then stat #2 takes over. Only caveat being that every new MoP build things need to be reassessed, but the Twintop author seems to be on top of that.

Props to IV's Class guides though. Easily the best complete Class guides on the net. It's a fantastic resource you're building here!

Edited by Stasis
  • Like 1

Guest Tymek

I would like to point smth.

I'm almost sure, You lose your dots after using MS simply because of WoT proc, which duplicate Your MS and took Your dots out of the target. That's my idea.

Guess what I was trying to say, the trouble with 'one size fits all' stat weights, is they don't work.

The BiS stat weights that are most often quoted have almost no relevance to someone that's in normal raid gear, or pre-raid gear, or two pieces shy of BiS...

BiS profiles have high values in all stats, simply due to the high iLevel; so BiS may say that +Crit will give you the most DPS, but that profile already has a lot of haste.

e.g. The BiS Shadow T13H shows Crit > Haste=Mastery, but it has 32.36% Haste! It has no relevance to someone whose Toon is sitting on 20% Haste. If they then went and reforged themselves for Crit > Haste = Mastery, it would surely be a DPS loss, over say, reforging up to 24.97 Haste and then Crit > Mastery.

Best thing to do if you want accurate reforge info, is find out your haste break-points, forge to the closest, and Sim yourself. The beauty is, once you Sim you can plug your personal stat weights into your reforge website and get the perfect reforge.

Here's the lv90 breakpoints. Borrowed from http://warcraft.twintop-tahoe.com/. Percentages are the same at lv85.

Posted Image

In terms of offering stat-weights, I'm not sure how'd you'd get around this. Maybe offer generic pre-raid/normal/heroic stat weights or reforge hints? And a quick Simulationcraft for dummies write-up?

Amazing guide though. Easily the best complete Class guides on the net.

Thank you for these very awesome posts you have made. You are right in what you are saying. We aren't totally happy with our handling of the stats sections in some of our guides currently (although, this particular moment in an expansion's lifetime is by far the most volatile and imbalanced), but we have something in the works to significantly improve this.

In the meanwhile, we will improve this guide's section specifically to account for the haste breakpoints.

Just edited my post with some extra (borrowed) info. And was editing for an hour apparently, lol!

Yeah it's this is the most exciting time of an expansion, everything's constantly in a state of flux. Gets a bit boring once everything's been hashed out and set in stone (and yeah, Dragon Soul, I'm looking at you).

Guest Yirkkal

what im getting from this is s priests are going to be good in Mop for PvP?

what im getting from this is s priests are going to be good in Mop for PvP?

We do not cover most "PvP"-oriented abilities in our guides, so I can tell you that Shadow Priests do still have several PvP abilities by default (interrupt/silence, for example). It's hard to say, but yes, I believe Shadow Priests will be good in PvP :)

Guest Sigmund

After Intellect and the Hit Cap, yes, Critical Strike is the next best stat. Haste comes close, though.

With the new build of simcraft I am still showing Haste way ahead of crit...

Sign in to follow this