FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Shadow Priest 5.4

I have a question about the foor enchant

Why is pandaren step recommended?

Greater haste has 175 haste which is a lot better than having 140 mastery.

And we should alway have the mind flay speed buff on us, so getting places should not be an issue.

The haste is better than the mastery, absolutely, but the big bonus here is the movement speed boost from Pandaren's Step. Glyph of Mind Flay's bonus is great when you actually have it up, but there are many situations where you won't. Particularly if you're having to move for more than a few seconds (meaning you won't be channeling Mind Flay), and the buff has time to fall off.

Guest Ender74

Just noticed a typo.

The tooltip for Halo in the guide is incorrect. Above the description, the incorrect tooltip states "Can't be cast in Shadowform." The actual in-game tooltip states below the description "Deals Shadow damage and healing while in Shadowform.

Thanks for the great guide.

Guest Ender74

If you add this to the macro: [nochanneling:Mind Sear] you'll be able to spam the spell without interrupting it. This way you don't have to worry about clipping the spell.

I think the macro would look something like this

/cast [target=focus, nochanneling:Mind Sear] Mind Sear

I like to able to use Mind Sear when I don't have a focus and not clip it either. I played with the Mad Monk's macro and came up with this macro that will cast it at a focus if you have one and at your target if you don't, but won't clip either way. Hope this is useful to someone else. If there is a cleaner way to do the same thing, I would love to see it! Posted Image

#showtooltip

/cast [@focus,exists,nochanneling:Mind Sear][nochanneling:Mind Sear] Mind Sear

Just noticed a typo.

The tooltip for Halo in the guide is incorrect. Above the description, the incorrect tooltip states "Can't be cast in Shadowform." The actual in-game tooltip states below the description "Deals Shadow damage and healing while in Shadowform.

Thanks for the great guide.

Thank you. The tooltip error is kind of out of our hands. We'll see if there's a way to resolve it, though.

I like to able to use Mind Sear when I don't have a focus and not clip it either. I played with the Mad Monk's macro and came up with this macro that will cast it at a focus if you have one and at your target if you don't, but won't clip either way. Hope this is useful to someone else. If there is a cleaner way to do the same thing, I would love to see it! Posted Image

#showtooltip

/cast [@focus,exists,nochanneling:Mind Sear][nochanneling:Mind Sear] Mind Sear

Thanks. I'll add this to the existing macro :)

Guest Hexn

A few additions you should consider adding:

Glyphs:

Glyph of Vampiric Embrace - Increases the total healing provided by VE by 25%, and in a shorter timespan. This makes VE more bursty as well as being a total healing increase. Very worthwhile glyph.

Glyph of Fade - Provides 10% damage reduction while fade is active. Very valuable glyph for very high damage burst mechanics. This can help mitigate certain high damage encounter mechanics like Ionization on HC Jinrokh, Rampage on Megaera, Quills on Megaera, Interrupting Jolts on Dark animus, Thunderstruck/Static shock on Lei Shen etc.

Both of the glyphs above are more valuable than the listed glyph of dispersion, which is never taken for any fight currently.

A few notes about this section:

5.2.1. Dynamic Power of DoTs

Your DoTs take into account all of your statistics at the time when the DoT is cast. In the case of Critical Strike chance and Haste, the DoT will retain its power even if these buffs expire from you in the meanwhile. However, Intellect buffs (which grants spellpower) will stop improving the DoT the moment that they expire.

This is actually false. All stats, including intellect procs are kept on the currently applied dots, even after the buff expires. You can easily verify this by casting dots with a jade spirit proc on a target dummy and see if the dot ticks change when the buff expires.

However, mastery ticks (bonus dot ticks) are calculated at the time of the proc, and not at the time the dot was being cast. This means mastery ticks occuring AFTER all of your buffs has fallen off (including crit and intellect buffs) will not apply to them. The original dot ticks are still benefiting though.

Stat priority:

Once the trinket Unerring Vision of Lei Shen (http://www.wowhead.com/item=94524) has been obtained, our stat priority changes from Haste > Crit > Mastery, to Haste > Mastery > Crit.

This happens because the 100% critical proc effectively devalues critical strike rating as a stat, as you will regularly apply 100% critting dots throughout a fight. This makes mastery overtake crit.

Also, shadowpriest theorycrafters are recommending also switching to mastery over crit once you have the legendary metagem, even when you don't have Unerring Vision.

Professions:

Blacksmithing is now our strongest profession along with engineering, due to enabling an additional 2x pure haste gems. Since the value of haste is above that of half a point of intellect, (~0.6), two haste gems will be worth more than the other static intellect bonuses.

640 x 0.6 = 384 PP

Keep up the good work!

~Hexn @ The Maelstrom

A few additions you should consider adding:

Glyphs:

Glyph of Vampiric Embrace - Increases the total healing provided by VE by 25%, and in a shorter timespan. This makes VE more bursty as well as being a total healing increase. Very worthwhile glyph.

Glyph of Fade - Provides 10% damage reduction while fade is active. Very valuable glyph for very high damage burst mechanics. This can help mitigate certain high damage encounter mechanics like Ionization on HC Jinrokh, Rampage on Megaera, Quills on Megaera, Interrupting Jolts on Dark animus, Thunderstruck/Static shock on Lei Shen etc.

Both of the glyphs above are more valuable than the listed glyph of dispersion, which is never taken for any fight currently.

A few notes about this section:

This is actually false. All stats, including intellect procs are kept on the currently applied dots, even after the buff expires. You can easily verify this by casting dots with a jade spirit proc on a target dummy and see if the dot ticks change when the buff expires.

However, mastery ticks (bonus dot ticks) are calculated at the time of the proc, and not at the time the dot was being cast. This means mastery ticks occuring AFTER all of your buffs has fallen off (including crit and intellect buffs) will not apply to them. The original dot ticks are still benefiting though.

Stat priority:

Once the trinket Unerring Vision of Lei Shen (http://www.wowhead.com/item=94524) has been obtained, our stat priority changes from Haste > Crit > Mastery, to Haste > Mastery > Crit.

This happens because the 100% critical proc effectively devalues critical strike rating as a stat, as you will regularly apply 100% critting dots throughout a fight. This makes mastery overtake crit.

Also, shadowpriest theorycrafters are recommending also switching to mastery over crit once you have the legendary metagem, even when you don't have Unerring Vision.

Professions:

Blacksmithing is now our strongest profession along with engineering, due to enabling an additional 2x pure haste gems. Since the value of haste is above that of half a point of intellect, (~0.6), two haste gems will be worth more than the other static intellect bonuses.

640 x 0.6 = 384 PP

Keep up the good work!

~Hexn @ The Maelstrom

Hello, good sir.

I want to thank you very much for your post.

Regarding the glyphs, I'm adding them now. Consider it done.

Regarding the DoT mechanics, that's rather ironic. Our guide had stated things correctly (as you say) previously, but the recent change was based on what our reviewer had told us. It was, in hindsight, a bit careless not to test it out ourselves, but alas, what's done is done. I'm going to change it back right now.

Regarding the stat priorities, I will make a mention of both the cases you listed in the stats page.

Regarding Blacksmithing, I'm going to add it!

So yeah, looks like every single one of your points is making it into the guide.

Thank you very much again, and thanks for the compliment.

yes is the procs from spell_holy_surgeoflight.jpgFrom Darkness, Comes Light that I'm referring. And the spell don't have issues, the issue is with me. Some times when I had the proc I take to long to cast and in the final second I did cast but the proc is off, in other words, I lose a proc because i was to slow or had to renew a dot.

And thanks for the macro.

when MSpike procs u get 8 secs to cast it (16 secs to cast if it procs twice), sw pain and VT last long enough for u to cast MSpike when proc'd. watch ur DoTs, when u got ur DoTs goin, spank MB, mindflay (Mblast has a 8sec CD, so u can cast MFlay twice and hit MSear, MSear has a 4.5 cast time) after that, Mblast should be off CD and then u can start with Msear MBlast sw:p, VT mindflay, mindsear follow that and your MSpike will proc. mine proc's like crazy.

Guest Nosgiliath

I read with attention you guide, but I already have a question about our spell Shadow word : Death.

In fact this spell has a 8sec cooldown but its description in game tell us that "If the target does not die, the cooldown is reset, but this additional Shadow word : Death does not grant a Shadow Orb. This effect has a 6 sec cooldown.

So my question is :

1. Do we have to use Shadow word : Death twice and have the 8sec cooldown ?

OR

2. Do we have to use a first Shadow word : Death, wait 6 seconds (time of the effect) and reuse Shadow word : Death ?

Thx for considering this post

EU : Nosgiliath@Confrérie du Thorium

I read with attention you guide, but I already have a question about our spell Shadow word : Death.

In fact this spell has a 8sec cooldown but its description in game tell us that "If the target does not die, the cooldown is reset, but this additional Shadow word : Death does not grant a Shadow Orb. This effect has a 6 sec cooldown.

So my question is :

1. Do we have to use Shadow word : Death twice and have the 8sec cooldown ?

OR

2. Do we have to use a first Shadow word : Death, wait 6 seconds (time of the effect) and reuse Shadow word : Death ?

Thx for considering this post

EU : Nosgiliath@Confrérie du Thorium

Option number 2. An addon like Weak Auras or TellMeWhen is best used to track the 6 second ICD.

Shardstorm @ Terenas-US

Edited by Shardstorm

1.2.2. Mind Flay/Mind Sear Macro

MadMonk, in the comments section of this guide, recommended a macro that makes using channeled spells (most notably Posted ImageMind Flay and Posted ImageMind Sear) very easy. Essentially, you are able to spam your hotkey without worrying about accidentally interrupting your current channel when trying to start the new channel of the same spell. We list the macros for both spells below.

• #showtooltip Mind Flay
  • /cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay
  • #showtooltip Mind Sear
  • /cast [target=focus,exists,nochanneling:Mind Sear][nochanneling:Mind Sear]Mind Sear

Note that in the case of the second macro, we also added the target=focus component. This was suggested by Byron in the comments of this guide. This casts Posted ImageMind Sear on your focus target (which in this case should be a tank or melee DPS player who is in melee range of all the adds you are trying to DPS). The usefulness of this feature is that you are able to damage all the targets that are stacked together, something which you would not be able to do if you were targeting one of the adds (Mind Sear does not damage its target, and only the enemies around the target). If you do not have a focus target, the macro will simply cast Mind Sear at your current target.

A no channel macro is a DPS loss. Mind Flay and Mind Sear are just channeled dots. Therefore, the same as with SW:P or VT, clipping either Flay or Sear before the last tick with a new application is better DPS. Also, the statement 'Mind Sear does not damage its target, only the enemies around the target' is incorrect. Test it yourself by pulling a single mob and Searing it, you'll do damage.

Also, in your gemming section you suggest JC use Quick Serpents Eye in a yellow or Prismatic socket. Then in your 'Summing-up Profession Perks' you say Brilliant Serpents Eyes in Red sockets only, not in prismatics. You are correct in the summation, not in the gemming guide.

A yellow/Prismatic would go from a 320 Haste gem to a 480 Haste gem, a bonus of 160 Haste. A Red socket would go from a 80 Int 160 Haste gem to a 320 Int gem. A bonus 240 Int with a 160 Haste loss. Using a fairly standard LMG PP value of 0.69 for Haste (over valuing it if anything), you get a 110.4 PP increase if a Haste JC gem is used in a yellow socket, or a 129.6 PP gain if a Brilliant JC gem is used in a Red socket. The brilliant is always better in a red, basically because a yellow or prismatic is much more valuable always being a 320 haste gem.

• Like 1

Guest Phobic

I noticed an error in the macro section. The Mind Flay macro will not be detrimental if using the talent Solace and Insanity because that talent causes another version of Mind Flay, Mind Flay (Insanity), to be cast when Devouring Plague is active on the target.

The macro says not to channel when only Mind Flay is being channeled, not Mind Flay (Insanity), so you can recast Mind Flay (Insanity) while Devouring Plague is active by using the Mind Flay Macro shown in the guide.

Guest Spazmoose

I was reviewing the macros that you have posted, and I thought I would share one that I came up with, which may make peoples' lives even easier for shadow:

This first one is kind of interesting. If you are not using a modifier key (ctrl/alt) it will cast Mind Flay on your current target, but if you press a modifier key, it will cast Mind Sear on your focus target if you have one, otherwise on your current target.

#showtooltip

/cast [target=focus,exists,nochanneling:Mind Sear, mod][mod, nochanneling:Mind Sear] Mind Sear

/cast [nomod, nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay

The next one is a dispelling macro, which will dispel your target when you don't use a modifier, and if you use a modifier, it will cast mass dispel

#showtooltip

/stopcasting

/cast [nomod] Dispel Magic

/cast [mod] Mass Dispel

Another one that I find useful is a Mind Blast/Mind Spike combo, where the modifier causes MS to fire, but when using no modifier, it casts MB.

#showtooltip

/cast [nomod] Mind Blast

/cast [mod] Mind Spike

The last one that I have is mainly for PVP, and is mainly for just firing off silencing cooldowns.

#showtooltip

/stopcasting

/cast [nomod] Psychic Scream

/cast [mod:ctrl] Silence

/cast [mod:alt] Psychic Horror

Guest Swiggidy Swag

No vamp touch on single target rotation?

No vamp touch on single target rotation?

Check point 5 again ;)

A no channel macro is a DPS loss. Mind Flay and Mind Sear are just channeled dots. Therefore, the same as with SW:P or VT, clipping either Flay or Sear before the last tick with a new application is better DPS. Also, the statement 'Mind Sear does not damage its target, only the enemies around the target' is incorrect. Test it yourself by pulling a single mob and Searing it, you'll do damage.

Also, in your gemming section you suggest JC use Quick Serpents Eye in a yellow or Prismatic socket. Then in your 'Summing-up Profession Perks' you say Brilliant Serpents Eyes in Red sockets only, not in prismatics. You are correct in the summation, not in the gemming guide.

A yellow/Prismatic would go from a 320 Haste gem to a 480 Haste gem, a bonus of 160 Haste. A Red socket would go from a 80 Int 160 Haste gem to a 320 Int gem. A bonus 240 Int with a 160 Haste loss. Using a fairly standard LMG PP value of 0.69 for Haste (over valuing it if anything), you get a 110.4 PP increase if a Haste JC gem is used in a yellow socket, or a 129.6 PP gain if a Brilliant JC gem is used in a Red socket. The brilliant is always better in a red, basically because a yellow or prismatic is much more valuable always being a 320 haste gem.

You are, of course, right on all 3 counts. I've updated the guide accordingly and that should be live shortly. Thank you very much for your most-constructive post.

I noticed an error in the macro section. The Mind Flay macro will not be detrimental if using the talent Solace and Insanity because that talent causes another version of Mind Flay, Mind Flay (Insanity), to be cast when Devouring Plague is active on the target. The macro says not to channel when only Mind Flay is being channeled, not Mind Flay (Insanity), so you can recast Mind Flay (Insanity) while Devouring Plague is active by using the Mind Flay Macro shown in the guide.

Indeed, you are right. I had initially planned to simply make a mention of this, but I've instead opted to remove the macro altogether (see Shardstorm's post above for the reasons). Thank you very much, though!

I was reviewing the macros that you have posted, and I thought I would share one that I came up with, which may make peoples' lives even easier for shadow: This first one is kind of interesting. If you are not using a modifier key (ctrl/alt) it will cast Mind Flay on your current target, but if you press a modifier key, it will cast Mind Sear on your focus target if you have one, otherwise on your current target. #showtooltip /cast [target=focus,exists,nochanneling:Mind Sear, mod][mod, nochanneling:Mind Sear] Mind Sear /cast [nomod, nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay The next one is a dispelling macro, which will dispel your target when you don't use a modifier, and if you use a modifier, it will cast mass dispel #showtooltip /stopcasting /cast [nomod] Dispel Magic /cast [mod] Mass Dispel Another one that I find useful is a Mind Blast/Mind Spike combo, where the modifier causes MS to fire, but when using no modifier, it casts MB. #showtooltip /cast [nomod] Mind Blast /cast [mod] Mind Spike The last one that I have is mainly for PVP, and is mainly for just firing off silencing cooldowns. #showtooltip /stopcasting /cast [nomod] Psychic Scream /cast [mod:ctrl] Silence /cast [mod:alt] Psychic Horror

Thank you very much for your post! I have scrapped the Mind Flay/Mind Sear macros altogether from the guide, so I can't implement that suggestion of yours, but I'll look into adding the other interesting ones you proposed. Thanks again!

Guest Jestricide

Can the BiS chests really be right? Disco one has haste and shadow one mastery..?

I am new to "getting into" my priest. I appreciate all the info everyone has contributed here. Very easy to understand. But as I am reading this I went back and looked at my action bars and I use mind spike all the time. When I read here there is no mention of mind spike. Is this something i should drop alltogether? Based on the recs here I am changing the action bar and just curious about the spike.

THanks peeps!

I am new to "getting into" my priest. I appreciate all the info everyone has contributed here. Very easy to understand. But as I am reading this I went back and looked at my action bars and I use mind spike all the time. When I read here there is no mention of mind spike. Is this something i should drop alltogether? Based on the recs here I am changing the action bar and just curious about the spike.

THanks peeps!

OK, After re-reading many post and going though the captions for the actions...you wouldnt use MS becasue it cancels the shadow damage. Am I close? LOL. Thanks!

spell_priest_mindspike.jpgMind Spike removes every dot from the target (unless you're using a spell_holy_surgeoflight.jpgFrom Darkness, Comes Light proc, but in the level 45 Tier ability_priest_flashoflight.jpgSolace and Insanity is almost always a better choice). That's not something you want to do.

If you know the mob won't last long enough for DoTs to be effective (< 10 sec) you can ignore DoTs completely and just spam spell_shadow_unholyfrenzy.jpgMind Blast and spell_priest_mindspike.jpgMind Spike.

Edited by D4n13le
  • Like 1

mind spike used to work with a glyph to make shadow very powerful. it was nerfed, so now you just keep mind spike somewhere you can hit in case a target you have dotted needs to be cc. this usually only happens in pvp, maybe challenge mode too.

a simple version of your rotation is: mind blast no matter what. keep your dots up. fill with flay. if you use insanity, only interrupt insanity for an instant cast that will get you a shadow orb as long as you have more than 1 sec remaining on Devouring Plague.

• Like 1

All of this info has been applied and extremely helpful and useful. Thanks for everyones input! smile.png

Edited by NuovoDolore

ohhhhh HELP !! because I think I am seriously misundrstanding something:

"2.3. Soft Haste Cap

At 18,215 Haste Rating (or 17,614 for Goblins), you reach the global cooldown cap of 1 second, meaning that additional Haste Rating will no longer lower your global cooldown, therefore vastly reducing the value of the stat."

18,215 haste rating ?  really ?  **sob** - at what ilvl should I expect to reasonably obtain this ?

I snooped over on the warlock info (re haste cap) and saw a statement saying something about once your ilvl got to 510-515 ish gemming for intel wasn't as good as gemming for secondary stats. Does the same apply for spriests ?

the other was a little mishap with Mr Robot: it suggested I regem with expertise and haste for my boots.

Guest Guest

After Intellect and the Hit Cap, yes, Critical Strike is the next best stat. Haste comes close, though.

That is actually incorrect, completely. Crit is still last in priority, whoever put crit there is doing it wrong, utterly wrong.

Guest Eric

I've noticed that upgrade costs haven't been updated to reflect 5.3 and beyond. Item upgrades now cost 250 valor per 4 levels.

Sign in to follow this