FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] Windwalker Monk 5.4

Guest Bob

My monk has two pieces of gear with an ilvl off 522. My question is should I swap them out for two pieces of 502-tier to achieve my 4 piece tier set bonus as a Wind Walker monk?

Guest Moo

From my experience FoF should not be used on cooldown unless severely energy starved or if you have popped TEB and <40 energy

just my opinion i guess

you should mention that when calculating which stat to choose Rune will ignore any raidwide buffs (like sham mastery)

also its been said that someone should pool ~17+stacks before a rune proc so that TEB will be popped right when the proc happens then pop TEB again right when the proc is gonna fade 1-0 sec on buff timer so you get the crazy TEB buff with your crit and mastery back (yes this is clipping your first TEB by 5 seconds but 10 seconds of ~130% increased dmg seems to be better than 15 seconds of ~50% increased damage though im not good with teh maths) this will also make up for the drop in dmg when the rune procs due to the loss of haste/crit

Guest Aircatcher

Hi, I was wondering, why 2h staff is listed as BiS, when there are 1h weapons with similar stats and it is stated that 2h should be used only when it has higher ilvl?

Thanks

Aircatcher

Guest Ruine

For your macro section ( viable for most classes in fact)

Macro healthstones into a defensive ability! Such as fortifying brew, the bonus health results in a larger healthstone heal and it can really save you.

Not to mention the only class that remembers to use those little guys are warlocks anyways.

IT HELPS Posted Image ( and gets your raid leader off your back for not using them ^-^)

Guest Charlie

I dont know if this topic was already covered, but I have a question about Agility. Is there ever a time when stacking agility doesnt do you good anymore? Specifically, I went to Mr Robot to optimize my gear, and instead of stacking on Agility Gems, he was telling me to put on more Haste Gems, at least 12 of my possible gems were complete haste or partial haste. I understand that haste keeps my energy up, but wouldnt it still be better not to gem haste, and to gem Agility instead?

JB Babalou

I dont know if this topic was already covered, but I have a question about Agility. Is there ever a time when stacking agility doesnt do you good anymore? Specifically, I went to Mr Robot to optimize my gear, and instead of stacking on Agility Gems, he was telling me to put on more Haste Gems, at least 12 of my possible gems were complete haste or partial haste. I understand that haste keeps my energy up, but wouldnt it still be better not to gem haste, and to gem Agility instead?

JB Babalou

Hi there

Haste is the main stat until a certain breakpoint. The breakpoint (7-9k) is the point where you are never capped on energy, but always have enough energy to keep your rotation/priority going. First off, you probably don't have enough haste on your gear as it is, which is why AMR is telling you to gem/enchant/reforge into it. Second, and this is the most important part, secondary stat gems (haste, crit...) give 320 stats, whereas main stats (int, str, agi) only give 160 stats. For most classes the main stat does have priority over secondary stats, but they're not twice as good as the secondary. 

Looking at the standard AMR windwalker weights, it looks like agility gets a score of 4.25 and haste a score of 2.8. This means that agility gems are worth 680 points and haste gems are worth 896 points and are therefore more valuable. That is until you reach the haste cap, at which point the agility gems will be better.

I hope this helps clearing things up a bit despite my mind not being very good at writing coherent text smile.png

Guest Salovàn

If you have the Rune of Re-Origination couldnt you just make a macro that cast then cancels the aura from the trinket so you get the buffed Tigereye buff buff and all your other stats are normal?

Guest Volimere

I would like to point out that you should start off with full chi every fight by using expel harm prior. While the boss is being explained or setting up the fight you should cast eh on cd. Sorry if this has been posted before.

Some macros that may prove useful:

Jab Focus Macro

/cast Jab
/focus

Touch of Karma Focus Macro (Works well with the Jab Focus Macro)
/cast [target=focus] Touch of Karma

Save the Raid Macro
/cast Fortifying Brew
/cast Zen Meditation

Friendly Cast Mobility (If someone needs to be freed by speed)
/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][] Tiger's Lust

Invoke Xuen at Focus Macro
/cast [target=focus] Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger

Edited by Xiao

Guest Ruhye

I would like to add that as ability_warrior_disarm.jpgGrapple Weapon is capable of being used on several adds, and provides a sizeable 5% damage increase for a 8 second period that it may be worth using on cooldown. achievement_dungeon_heroic_gloryoftheraiGrapple Weapon: DPS Upgrade!

I have been using it as every add in siege that this is capable of being used on has a better weapon than i have, and as thus gives me this buff. If it's worth the GCD to use, it might be worth looking into.

I'm very surprised that Grapple Weapon was not mentioned in the guide. It becomes a worthwhile DPS cooldown when fighting mobs that can be disarmed, and while most bosses cannot be disarmed many adds can. If the Grappled target has a better main-hand weapon than you, you deal 5% more damage for 8 seconds on a 60 second cooldown. While the effect only occurs if you Grapple an enemy with a better main hand weapon than you, I've consistently seen the effect work even when Grappling mobs that don't use much melee, like the Kor'kron Arcweavers on Nazgrim. Since my LFR-level weapon is still causing the effect when Grappling LFR mobs, I think it's safe to say that Grappling mobs in the same difficulty as the one your weapon dropped in. Since I was dual wielding, however, this may not work as well for staff users, though I can't be certain since I've never tried with a staff.

Still, though, when used against mobs that can be disarmed, Grapple Weapon becomes a DPS cooldown that's definitely worth mentioning. And since the other monk specs benefit from Grapple Weapon as well (Mistweavers gain increased healing and Brewmasters gain decreased damage taken), the fact that Grapple Weapon is not mentioned in any of the guides here really disappoints me.

EDIT: Seems that Ruhye beat me to it.

Edited by Hoboverlord

Guest Panchida

The leatherworking enchant for wrists is 500 Agility instead of 320 as stated

Guest Joe

Windwalker T16 - 4 Peice is garbage, don't bother sacraficing for it.

Guest Crazmoh

When I'm gearing up my ww monk, what items should I prioritize? I know some classes benefit immensly from having a good weapon but some other items, like bracers, wont make a huge dps difference. I guess my question is, is a good weapon important for ww monk dps or is it better to choose other pieces first?

Assume that i have the choice between getting a new weapon or getting a new chest piece. My prievious chest and weapons are the same ilvl.

Wuold anyone have the stat weights for WW? Is the AMR default setting correct? I'd also like to see the theorycraft behind the weights if someone knows where to find some.

Guest Jazzy

Wuold anyone have the stat weights for WW? Is the AMR default setting correct? I'd also like to see the theorycraft behind the weights if someone knows where to find some.

I currently am 570 and my weights are:

( Pawn: v1: "Jazzy": Strength=2.59, Agility=7.12, Ap=2.76, CritRating=3.62, HasteRating=4.91, MasteryRating=2.54 )

As for the guide:

On the multi target rotation part of the rotation you should never take Ascension as quoted "You should also use the wow_icon_ability_monk_ascension.jpgAscension talent."

You should always take Chi Brew as it still generates more Tigereye Brew stacks which would result in more damage.

The flying serpent kick section should mention that if you are consistently energy starved you should consider investing in more Haste as at this point in the expac nobody should be so energy starved they are using FSK as a filler- there's just no way to fit that in anymore.

In Gearing Up section:

A H WF offpiece and T16 4pc is fine but T16 2pc & 2-3 H WF will beat it out by a large amount.

You should make a mention of Thok's Tail Tip as it is barnone much better than Assurance of Consequence past ~568 ilvl and eventually beats out Ticking Ebon Detonator after 575 or so, even a Normal version of Thok's Tail Tip is that good. I'd mention that Seismic Bore is the next best option to Hellscream's Cleaver considering it's incredibly hard to even get Hellscream's Cleaver on Heroic not only because killing him is that hard but the drop chance is much much much much lower. The next best thing is the Shao-Tien Sabre from Spoils.

Also the Str Glove enchant may end up eventually overtaking the Exp/Haste enchants on your Gloves though this is at an incredibly high gear level.

wow_icon_inv_glyph_majormonk.jpgGlyph of Retreat temporarily reduces all your threat for 10 seconds, after using wow_icon_ability_monk_roll.jpgRoll or wow_icon_ability_monk_quitornado.jpgChi Torpedo. This glyph can prove useful if you ever need to lower your threat.

No longer exists so I'd remove that from Builds, Talents, and Glyphs. and http://www.wowdb.com/items/82345-glyph-of-rapid-rolling has replaced it which has also probably made Celerity look more appeasing as a movement based ability as your next 2 rolls will go 30% farther meaning if you're going for long distance you'd be better with this though Tiger's Lust still is great for burst haste/raid utility.

Maybe later this week I can suggest some defensives to add for Buffs & Debuffs as I know some class pages have personal defensives listed as well which could help players.

Guest Vrook

Why isn't spinning crane kick mentioned in the multi target rotation anymore?

Guest jess

Quick question for Professions.

Under JC: gain 320Agi  from 2 X JC Gems. Should that not be 640Agi?

Quick question for Professions.

Under JC: gain 320Agi  from 2 X JC Gems. Should that not be 640Agi?

Yes, 320+320-160-160=320 :P

You forget that, you are replacing normal gems with the JC ones.

Guest Shoils

Hello!

I have 2 questions:

1. Does the Gearing up and Best in slot section of this guide also include the racial features? (For example: humans get expertise bonus with maces and swords)

2. Why would 'Ask Mr Robot' tell me to enchant my gloves with strength when i use the optimized option? I'm a bit confused by this.

2. Why would 'Ask Mr Robot' tell me to enchant my gloves with strength when i use the optimized option? I'm a bit confused by this.

If you have attack power as a higher weight than what ever secondary stat is available on your gloves, then it will tell you its better.

Sign in to follow this