FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

6.1 Demonology Guide

I ran a normal last night just to get the feel of things a bit, and took a look at your parses on Malkorok and compared mine to them.   I was pulling 17k on that fight compared to your 21k, and on quick inspection, my uptimes and casts were all very similar to yours, so now to find where I am missing that 5k.

I know a couple small parts, I was just using a crystal of insanity and not potting, but that won't be a huge part, so now to look at how I actually used HoG, as well as when I dumped fury (probably better lining up with procs).  I have a feeling that those two were the biggest issues going on.

Actually, potting will be very significant at our gear levels.  Double potting with other procs could very well make up the difference.  I spiked to 60k, higher than Locky or Kaz, but they both sustained and had better trinket procs than I did later.  It literally comes down to what procs when in conjuction with other CDs.  As long as you're not DF capping, HoG capping, or overwriting DoTs old school style (some habits are hard to break), you should be fine.

I'm so infused with going into Meta after casting HoG that I continued to do it last night.  I mentally had to tell myself not to.  I also had to break the habit of double casting Doom.  Lots of good habits in 5.4 become bad habits in 6.0.

Pre-bot and a good opener helps a lot. There is also a lot of options playing Demo, take our Malk kill last night.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zQNaMJGqy9pZjd3K#type=damage-done&sourceclass=Warlock&graph=true&fight=23

Zag, me, and Kaz are 180 DPS apart in DPS at the end of the fight. None of us have the same top three damage sources.

Zag has ToC, CW, pet melee.

I have SF, pet, Doom.

Kaz has SF, HoG, pet.

There are options in what you do that result in the same product. 

It should be noted though that Kaz only kept up because he got lucky as sin at the end. Kaz opens really low and stays 3k behind Zag and I until 2:22 in to the fight where he gets lucky as sin on procs and spikes 250k+ for 30 seconds - almost doubling our damage during that time - and allowing him to end the fight right along side of us in damage.

Demo is all about them procs man.  It's about having Demonic Fury when the clock strikes 12 and the RNG gods bless you.  Having this happen without DF is painful.  You literally sit on your hands until it's time to unload all hell.  Kaz had one of those.  I had one of those on Galakras where I destroyed everyone else in the group by a huge margin, almost 20% over 2nd place because of RNG.

Pre-bot and a good opener helps a lot. There is also a lot of options playing Demo, take our Malk kill last night.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zQNaMJGqy9pZjd3K#type=damage-done&sourceclass=Warlock&graph=true&fight=23

Zag, me, and Kaz are 180 DPS apart in DPS at the end of the fight. None of us have the same top three damage sources.

Zag has ToC, CW, pet melee.

I have SF, pet, Doom.

Kaz has SF, HoG, pet.

There are options in what you do that result in the same product. 

It should be noted though that Kaz only kept up because he got lucky as sin at the end. Kaz opens really low and stays 3k behind Zag and I until 2:22 in to the fight where he gets lucky as sin on procs and spikes 250k+ for 30 seconds - almost doubling our damage during that time - and allowing him to end the fight right along side of us in damage.

Just had PBI and DS with second pot. Not even sure I had KTT in there. The big thing was that it was right at 25% with tons of DF. I did almost nothing but SF for a solid 20 seconds.

so askmyrobot stat weights wants me to gem into haste over mastery its trying to put me around 32% crit 41% haste and 18% mast where as now i have about 25 crit 30 haste 33 mast should i stay gemmed for mast? and what stat weights would be good to put in so i can keep a good balance right now demo Int 5.9 SP 4.55 haste 3.4 mast 3 crit 2.9 ms 2.8

Hey, you can listen to AMR or you can listen to us here.  Or MMO-C.  Or anyone else.  Then you can go and test it. 

We've made our recommendations for so many others in other threads and in the guide - why would it be any different now? 

This is my first post, would like to thank you guys for all you do, I did my first raid lead into heroics and you guys help me kick some dps ass.

So now I'm stoked to switch to demo, and been reading Zagam say he runs 16k haste,what are you guys looking to run this patch and to WoD? I'm using the 16k for both demo and destro, feels nice and fast.

Just to add some AMR flavor - I put my profile in.  It suggets dropping my MWF Wand (588) and my MWF OH (588) for the boa staff (582).  Hmm, that seems like a bad decision.

It also tells me to remove Purified Bindings of Immerseus and take Black Blood of Y'saarj.  That, too, seems less than ideal.  Sometimes you shouldn't just look at these programs and take it as gospel.  Just look at what it's telling you.

• Like 1

This is my first post, would like to thank you guys for all you do, I did my first raid lead into heroics and you guys help me kick some dps ass.

So now I'm stoked to switch to demo, and been reading Zagam say he runs 16k haste,what are you guys looking to run this patch and to WoD? I'm using the 16k for both demo and destro, feels nice and fast.

I was running Haste before when I could reforge.  Now that I can't get enough Haste to do certain things, I've reverted to Mastery gems.  My gear is Mastery > Crit = Haste. 

I have to keep saying this, but your stats are the LEAST part of your DPS ever.  It's TOTALLY how you play.  I know you aren't eluding to it, but I'd say 9 of the 10 posts in the past 2 days have been all about what stats to use and not what abilities to use.  It still hurts my soul.

Sorry, I don't trust a program that does this:

qdb7Alf.png

586 -> 584 = a gain?  Dropping item levels is a gain?  In what world?  Also it prioritizes Haste, so then it does the optimal thing of dropping my Haste/Crit OH and Mastery/Crit Wand in favor of a Mastery/Crit staff - so it goes down in item level AND it drops the stat it wants.  Methinks something is wrong.

Just to add some AMR flavor - I put my profile in.  It suggets dropping my MWF Wand (588) and my MWF OH (588) for the boa staff (582).  Hmm, that seems like a bad decision.

It also tells me to remove Purified Bindings of Immerseus and take Black Blood of Y'saarj.  That, too, seems less than ideal.  Sometimes you shouldn't just look at these programs and take it as gospel.  Just look at what it's telling you.

Trinkets, Heirlooms, and Set Bonus logic is still a bit wonky at AMR.  Heirloom data has them scaled up to ilvl 620, and many set bonus are undervalued.

Edit: Looks like WF gear isn't in AMR unless you have it equipped (or it's from Ordos). 

Edited by Orthios

Mind ripping apart my logs and helping me fix what I'm doing wrong.( I'm sure i'm doing plenty wrong ) I wish i had something better to link then siege, but i did die a few times last night which bugged me but that shouldn't be a problem next week I also don't think i'm doing a good opener at all. http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Yqfg1K4Wn7JF2HpD

Also thanks again for taking the time out to do these guides and everyone else that helps contribute to it. 

Trinkets, Heirlooms, and Set Bonus logic is still a bit wonky at AMR.  Heirloom data has them scaled up to ilvl 620, and many set bonus are undervalued.

Edit: Looks like WF gear isn't in AMR unless you have it equipped (or it's from Ordos). 

IMO, I wish they wouldn't release this stuff before it was verified and working.  I feel it was rushed, and now some of us are left answering silly questions because of silly outputs from a program that's not finished.

Totally agree and never want to hurt your soul, I just like to play around with the build. I'm not worried about total dps, play and raid knowledge takes care of that, but the fun part is high end raiders do and try different builds and newcomers study what your doing. Can't say thank you enough to Warlock community here, it's why locks rock the top of the charts.

Edited by Sabertorous

Mind ripping apart my logs

I printed your log out and tore the paper in half.

JK.  All you're going to give me is Siegecrafter?  This is such a rough fight to analyze because everyone does it differently.  Also, which Demonology Warlock are you?  One did 21.4k, the other did 19.8k.  Looks like you guys got SC down at 11:54 last night...assuming you end at midnight, looks like you guys were right by us with us likely one attempt away from winning.  Did you guys put some DPS into the Shredder to help the tanks out?  Looks like you did some significant Crawler Mine damage, so you're doing it like us...Bynes is actually doing a shit ton of DPS to the Shredder along with the Boomkin and two Fire Mages - did Bynes get a stack to start the fight off?  That actually seems logical considering how bad tank DPS got nerfed...

Sorry I know you want me looking at your DPS - this fight pissed me off last night lol

I know i'm sorry! Lol I died on freaking malk and IJ. Malk cause i derped for the first time ever and died to breath, and died to siege mode on IJ. Oh and i'm Camii. Yes bynes did take a stack to help kill the shredder since we needed it. We actually wiped on him 3 times i think. People not having dbm/WA for the saw blade and lasers was pretty fun >_>

I'm clearing atm. I have just been using Mannoroths fury so far (pulling pride in a bit) Noru died in 2m 15sec so maybe it would just be better with AD? 

Any specific demo tips on the other fights?

I think I only used MF on immer. Thought about it on some other fights but just stuck with AD the whole time. Things blew up so fast.

Demo has always been my favourite spec, something about the Demon form that always struck a chord with me.

I'm kinda thankful Destro is going as for me it was a cheap mage like spec. 

I'm moving to Demo as of now, for the rest of MOP, in order to get comfy with it for WoD. A good time as well since some bis gear is changing. 

Appreciate the guide. I havn't played Demo since WOTLK :D  

You wanna use MF on most fights.

Immerseus.

Protectors.

Norushen/Sha depending on how much you actually AoE.

Galakras.

Dark Shamans.

Nazgrim.

Spoils.

Blackfuse.

Garrosh.

Those are the ones I take it on.

I was finding last night Immo Aura just doesn't seem that strong, even with MF.

Nit sure if I'll use it in anywhere near as many fights next week.

That's interesting, though truth be told I won't be doing my first Mythic raid til Saturday.

I wasn't aware of it getting nerfed directly, though I suppose single target spells got brought up a notch as did Shadowflame, so we'll see.

Hand of Gul'dan and Chaos Wave are strong - average initial hit of HoG for me last night looking at some logs was 10k - Chaos Wave 40k.  Average ticks we were seeing from Immo with Manno's was like 1k.

Edit: Here's Nazgrim log from last night: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zQNaMJGqy9pZjd3K#fight=20&type=damage-done&source=11

Average non-crit was 1.3k for Immo. I did did less than 5% of my total damage with it in the opening. Pre-6.0, I'd get anywhere from 10-20% of my DPS in those first couple seconds out of it.

Can I ask how exactly you use soulfire with molten core stacks?

When you get to say 4, do you blow soulfire 4 times, or do you try keep it at a certain set of stacks?