FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Garrison: General Guide

the bottom links, many workorders and some workorders are switched smile.png

Thanks, it's fixed!

I'll throw myself under the bus and I hope I wasn't the only one.  Just in case I am not....  assigning a follower to your Garrison Buildings is done from the Architect table NOT any of the other silly places I was trying to drag, pull, push, code, and otherwise coerce them into helping me!

sigh... stick to raiding.

Guest TZpaladin

sigh... stick to raiding.

So, say all this silly "forced daily" crap is kinda like a boring job I absolutely don't want to do (mainly b/c i already have a job) and I really play wow just to raid (and rbg pvp).  What is the absolute minimum I have to do so I'm not disadvantaged in raiding?    Your guide makes it sound like I'm screwed if I want the legendary.

you can skip the daily garrison grinds, which take less than 10min each in most cases, and just buy the gear.  Or skip crafted all together and do it the old way and just keep running Heroics for gear to get to about 630 to be ready for raiding.  I confident that all non hardcore guilds have people in that situation where they dont have or dont want to give the time for daily upkeeps.  They only want to experience raiding, you are not alone but there will have to be a little bit of time put into improving your character whether through garrison items, Heroic 5mans, or a combination of both to be ready for Dec 2.

Guest Tdanes

It appears, from my experience, the Garrison quest to upgrade to tier 2, for the Horde (biggrin.png), is immediately available after the quests for Ga'Nar's vengeance, specifically -

1. Horde_15.png?version=c7835fabceb03a8c778 [91] The Eldest - once this one is completed, you get the quest...
  2. Horde_15.png?version=c7835fabceb03a8c778 [91] To the Garrison - and once that quest is turned in, you get the option from Gazlowe to grab the quest "Bigger is Better"

I've ran 3 Horde toons through here so far and have noticed it's this sequence every time, but it could just be confirmation bias.

Guest Lammiwink

Handy tip. If you have already build 2 buildings and want to switch the plots around you can do it for free without a cost.
Eg: I wanted my engineer building where my tannery was and vice versa. I dragged an engineer building onto my tannery plot and it switched the two around.
This cost nothing and didn't require time to rebuild. Work orders were unaffected and my followers are still working at their respective buildings. This is AWESOME!

Handy tip. If you have already build 2 buildings and want to switch the plots around you can do it for free without a cost.

Eg: I wanted my engineer building where my tannery was and vice versa. I dragged an engineer building onto my tannery plot and it switched the two around.

This cost nothing and didn't require time to rebuild. Work orders were unaffected and my followers are still working at their respective buildings. This is AWESOME!

I noticed that too the other day, it appears that you can just move buildings around at will tongue.png

It appears, from my experience, the Garrison quest to upgrade to tier 2, for the Horde (biggrin.png), is immediately available after the quests for Ga'Nar's vengeance, specifically -

• Horde_15.png?version=c7835fabceb03a8c778 [91] The Eldest - once this one is completed, you get the quest...
  • Horde_15.png?version=c7835fabceb03a8c778 [91] To the Garrison - and once that quest is turned in, you get the option from Gazlowe to grab the quest "Bigger is Better"
I've ran 3 Horde toons through here so far and have noticed it's this sequence every time, but it could just be confirmation bias.

Added it to the guide, thanks a lot!

I stumbled upon 2 more ways where you can get Garrison Resources all from within:

1- when you walk around, look for small mounds of dirt. These are "Pippers buried treasure". Pippers is the Pug that's running around the garrison. They dropped +15 resources.

2- When exiting the garrison from the main entrance, take a right to the tents, and then right again to reach the cook who always says (for now at least) "It's very hard to find good ingredients". On a cart I found a big purple egg, which I could interact with and it dropped +13 resources.

I'll add an update once I get some more info, but for now I'm not sure if these are available more than once a day, and if the amount dropped is consistent. Alternatively if anyone has seen them and can provide the info, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the guides (all of them) they've been wonderful!

I stumbled upon 2 more ways where you can get Garrison Resources all from within:

1- when you walk around, look for small mounds of dirt. These are "Pippers buried treasure". Pippers is the Pug that's running around the garrison. They dropped +15 resources.

2- When exiting the garrison from the main entrance, take a right to the tents, and then right again to reach the cook who always says (for now at least) "It's very hard to find good ingredients". On a cart I found a big purple egg, which I could interact with and it dropped +13 resources.

I'll add an update once I get some more info, but for now I'm not sure if these are available more than once a day, and if the amount dropped is consistent. Alternatively if anyone has seen them and can provide the info, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the guides (all of them) they've been wonderful!

Great find Marcus!  If you are really into getting all the resources you can for free there is an addon out there called Handynotes: Draenor Treasures.  It will show you all the free garrison resources lying around the world and in your garrison ready for the picking!

Guest builder

Love the guide, excellent work.  But I disagree with your build order advice.  Specifically, there are two things wrong with this statement regarding your first large building:  "The problem with [the Barracks] is that it is useless until you reach Level 100 and unlock Level 2, so you should try and replace it with something else."

First, you can unlock the level 2 version of the barracks as early as Talador, because that's when you get your first free large building level 2 token.

Second, the Barracks is actually useful in two ways.  First, you can use the extra missions for followers.  Some of your followers will be replaced later, and for them it is a waste of resources - true.  But especially if you get a follower that can work in one of your buildings, or a good rare / epic follower, it's much easier to level them with the extra missions.  Additionally, the level 2 Barracks ability is AMAZING for leveling, especially if you do not have raid-level gear from MoP or if you are a ranged/caster/squishy.

Meanwhile the Bunker/War Mill is actually pretty lackluster.  The free upgrades are nice but they are already so rare doubling their chance doesn't have much practical effect.  Additionally, thanks to the problem with disenchanting right now (any purple under ilevel 600 disenchants into MoP crap), you actually DON'T want to upgrade any of your blues, because it makes them worth less when you disenchant them.  And the level 2 ability of the Bunker/War Mill is completely useless to anyone without level 100 followers - and it's a huge resource sink, which you cannot afford while leveling.  This makes it a pretty terrible choice.

There is an argument to be made for the Stables, however.  It's a nice leveling building as well.  But the Barracks is probably still more valuable.

Similarly, the Salvage Yard is absolutely worthless until your followers hit level 100.  Now, it DOES take a very long time to get anything good from the Salvage Yard, and getting a head start is not a bad idea.  But you should really only build one if you don't have any other profession buildings that would be useful to you.  (Like if you are a Blacksmith and Miner, and already have the Forge and don't want to D/E anything.  Or if you're a Miner/Herbalist and have nothing else to do with your small buildings.)  Anyone else would be better served with profession buildings, so they can get a start on the massive, massive amount of mats required for their 640 items.

You're spot-on with the Lumber Mill, though.  It's the only building that helps you build other buildings, and a level 1 Mill is great.  It's a tough call as to whether or not you need to upgrade it, though.  A level 2 Mill does basically nothing if you're a daily player.  It's far too easy to keep you Mill maxed on work orders and still get a full inventory of lumber from small trees alone.  (If you don't play often, a level 2 is more valuable because you can queue up over 2 day's worth of orders.)  The main reason to upgrade to level 2 is if you want to eventually upgrade again to level 3.  This is where the building really gets more valuable because the resource production actually goes up (thanks to a special follower you can only get with a level 3 Mill), and you can pump out 180/day.  It takes 10 days for the upgrade to pay for itself, but after that you're coming out ahead in terms of resource generation.

I created a tracking sheet that you can use for your account's garrisons.  Just create a copy of the spreadsheet to one you can edit, modify the names, and have fun!  Let me know if you see anything broken or possible adjustments/improvements.

Guest MakMak

I seem to get 30 Garrison Resources per Trading Post Order - making it 180 per day rather than 120? Lumber Mill still gives 20 though.

I seem to get 30 Garrison Resources per Trading Post Order - making it 180 per day rather than 120? Lumber Mill still gives 20 though.

Could anyone else confirm that?

Guest obarthelemy

Thank you for the guide, it pretty much mirrors what I'm ending up with, after trial and error.

a few things:

1- one cannot over-emphasize how scarce garrison resources are. I'll take all my alts to build their garrison starting next week, just so they get a headstart with passive resources generation. Connect them twice a week to get their free 500 resources... you'll be happy to have a few K resources if/when you get to play them again.

2- all professions have at least  1 follower in the wild with the appropriate trait. Unless you really dislike those or want a very specific traits make up, your crafting alts should skip the Inn entirely  and go for the barn right off.

3- I just learned that higher-level followers give a bigger profession bonus, so it's important to level the drudges too ^^

4- I'm unsure if the profession follower needs to be in the building only at the time you pickup your work orders. It was the case in Beta, not sure if they changed it. 

Guest obarthelemy

Lumber Mill gives 30 once Phylarch the Evergreen is working in it. requires Mill lvl 3 and a not-so-short series of quests.

Thank you for the guide, it pretty much mirrors what I'm ending up with, after trial and error.

a few things:

1- one cannot over-emphasize how scarce garrison resources are. I'll take all my alts to build their garrison starting next week, just so they get a headstart with passive resources generation. Connect them twice a week to get their free 500 resources... you'll be happy to have a few K resources if/when you get to play them again.

2- all professions have at least  1 follower in the wild with the appropriate trait. Unless you really dislike those or want a very specific traits make up, your crafting alts should skip the Inn entirely  and go for the barn right off.

3- I just learned that higher-level followers give a bigger profession bonus, so it's important to level the drudges too ^^

4- I'm unsure if the profession follower needs to be in the building only at the time you pickup your work orders. It was the case in Beta, not sure if they changed it.

There does not seem to be a Jewelcrafting one, at least not on Alliance side.

EDIT: yes there is, but I rerolled his traits tongue.png

Lumber Mill gives 30 once Phylarch the Evergreen is working in it. requires Mill lvl 3 and a not-so-short series of quests.

Thanks, added to the guide smile.png

Guest Caleb

If you swap out a level 2 or 3 building with a new level 1 building and want to switch back to your old building later does it keep its level?

If you swap out a level 2 or 3 building with a new level 1 building and want to switch back to your old building later does it keep its level?

I don't think it does, I remember trying it in the beta.

Guest skajakuta

This says Primal Trader is net to the War Tower. I can find no reference anywhere to tell me what a War Tower is. I'm a little new sorry if this should be obvious.

Thanks

This says Primal Trader is net to the War Tower. I can find no reference anywhere to tell me what a War Tower is. I'm a little new sorry if this should be obvious.

Thanks

If you look at your map when you are in your Garrison, you will see a building outside of it on the northeastern side. Mouseover it and it will say "War Tower", hence the name we use in the guide smile.png

Guest Lothorine

I am finding nothing on how you obtain the people in your town hall to change what faction you want as an army. They just showed up in my Garrison one day and now i can choose if i want Panda's, Nelfs, Worgen, Gnomes, Humans, Draenei, or Dwarves. A friend asked me how i did it, and i have no idea. anyone else know?