FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Garrison: General Guide

Guest alisonnic

There's an error on the Barn in this guide. It says you get Burnished Leather from the Barn, which is soulbound, but in fact you get Raw Beast Hide, which is not soulbound. You get Burnished Leather from the Tannery.

I replaced my main's Barn with an Inn because I thought the Barn's leather would be soulbound, and then created a Barn on my leatherworker. Turns out this wasn't necessary, since my main could simply have mailed the Raw Beast Hide to my leatherworker.

Guest Unydyingone

Update on your first recommended upgrade of the Lumber Mill. Hidden in the patch notes or deliberately not put in there: The Lumber Mill Level 2 plans now require Spires of Arak Outpost or level 98. 

Guest Darth Digital

Great guide, but oh god do I hate garrisons. To me it's Farmville in Draenor. I just do the bare minimum so that I can get quests, now that Blizzard has stupidly settled on this railroad-style questing scheme. 

I am finding nothing on how you obtain the people in your town hall to change what faction you want as an army. They just showed up in my Garrison one day and now i can choose if i want Panda's, Nelfs, Worgen, Gnomes, Humans, Draenei, or Dwarves. A friend asked me how i did it, and i have no idea. anyone else know?

Barracks Level 3.

There's an error on the Barn in this guide. It says you get Burnished Leather from the Barn, which is soulbound, but in fact you get Raw Beast Hide, which is not soulbound. You get Burnished Leather from the Tannery.

I replaced my main's Barn with an Inn because I thought the Barn's leather would be soulbound, and then created a Barn on my leatherworker. Turns out this wasn't necessary, since my main could simply have mailed the Raw Beast Hide to my leatherworker.

Thanks, fixing it!

Update on your first recommended upgrade of the Lumber Mill. Hidden in the patch notes or deliberately not put in there: The Lumber Mill Level 2 plans now require Spires of Arak Outpost or level 98.

Fixing that too, thank you!

Love the guide, excellent work.  But I disagree with your build order advice.

Yes, absolutely. The guide is fine but the idea to replace the Barracks with a Bunker/Mill is just plain horrible. I wish I had kept my Barracks...

The guide should be at least very ambiguous when it suggests to replace the Barracks -- actually it should just advise you to not touch your large plot before level 100.

Please update the guide in that regard.

The benefit from the Barracks are substantial for almost any player:

• It allows you to have a bodyguard from level 96 onward, substantial help for any class, some more than others. The DPS increase from the bodyguard is staggering, and some of them have extremely useful perks if you get reputation with them. The bodyguard alone is a reason to keep the barracks in all cases.
  • It speeds up your follower leveling, which is way more useful than having some upgraded quest gear from the Bunker/Mill, which all ends up being disenchanted or vendored very quickly.
Compared to that, the Bunker/Mill does almost nothing. Who cares about some random upgrades for temporary gear?

Quest rewards are basically Draenic Dust that you wear as armor for a few hours, who cares if they're upgraded occasionally -- and that doesn't even account for the fact that the problem with not getting any useful Dust from lower level epics at the moment persists (let's hope it's going to be fixed in patch 6.1).

Even if one feels like replacing the Barracks early on, the Stables provide a much better leveling perk than the Bunker/Mill (not having to dismount quite as often is great, and being able to raise new mounts is a ton of fun).

Furthermore, it would be nice if the guide gave a concise overview over what to build at what level, and in which order.

Lastly, please provide a link to the addon "Master Plan", which is just downright amazing.  It makes it much easier to select the best follower assignment.  It speeds up the reward collection of completed missions.  It gives a useful overview over which abilties you're lacking in your group of followers.  It's such a huge timesaver and a substantial improvement on the standard UI.

Edited by siggboy

There is an argument to be made for the Stables, however.  It's a nice leveling building as well.  But the Barracks is probably still more valuable.

You're spot-on with the Lumber Mill, though.  It's the only building that helps you build other buildings

What is not obvious about the Stables, and not mentioned in the guide, either, is that it gains you a total of 1620 resources over 12 days -- or 120/day, the same as a Lumbermill if you do all the quests from the Stables each day (which you probably do anyway in order to tame those mounts). Those quests reward resources.

So, even subtracting the cost for the Stables and re-building the Barracks afterwards, it leaves you with a net 1320 resources on top of what you get from the Lumbermill, all for the opportunity cost of not having the Barracks around for 12 days.

This is a huge head start in terms of resources, and in my eyes it's probably better than somewhat faster leveling of followers. It should be noted, though, that one hits the follower cap pretty quickly, so not being able to work on patrol missions for 12 days (hence delaying the Barracks level 3 upgrade) is a setback.

Actually, putting down the Stables as soon as they become available (along with either Lumber Mill or Trading Post), is the most effective way to squeeze as many resources out of your Garrison as possible before the level 3 upgrade.

Plus you get a sweet 6 mounts on top, and a perk that I consider very useful while questing.

Edited by siggboy

I've rewritten the part about the first Large building, thanks a lot for the feedback! I had written it during the beta, where it wasn't really clear that the Comprehensive Outpost Construction Guide allowed you to bypass the requirements for purchasing Level 2 blueprints.

Guest swb

Section 4.6 is incorrect, at least as of WoD 6.1. You can switch your outpost (5,000 gold), and do the quest line to gain the follower. I just completed the swap from Smuggler to Brewery it in Spires of Arak to get Hulda Shadowblade.

Section 4.6 is incorrect, at least as of WoD 6.1. You can switch your outpost (5,000 gold), and do the quest line to gain the follower. I just completed the swap from Smuggler to Brewery it in Spires of Arak to get Hulda Shadowblade.

Thank you, it's fixed now :)

You don't have to switch the Outpost and complete the second quest line to obtain its follower. You can buy these followers for 5K gold from the 'Contracts' guy who's standing next to your Command table in the Garrison.

Guest Siusha

your  garrison guide need  a update :

Reagent Price

Alchemical Catalyst Icon Alchemical Catalyst 10x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
Truesteel Ingot Icon Truesteel Ingot 10x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
Gearspring Parts Icon Gearspring Parts 10x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits             
War Paints Icon War Paints 10x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
Taladite Crystal Icon Taladite Crystal 10x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
Burnished Leather Icon Burnished Leather 10x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
there al  now  5  instead 10

Sorcerous Air Icon Sorcerous Air 25x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
Sorcerous Earth Icon Sorcerous Earth 25x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits    
Sorcerous Fire Icon Sorcerous Fire 25x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
Sorcerous Water Icon Sorcerous Water 25x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits
 there  all  15  now
Savage Blood Icon Savage Blood 50x Primal Spirit Icon Primal Spirits     =   25

It was a long time since i leveled my warrior at the beggining of WoD so i forgot about the beggining of garrison management now that i'm leveling a new toon.
Thanks for giving all this info and recommendations about the game!

It was a long time since i leveled my warrior at the beggining of WoD so i forgot about the beggining of garrison management now that i'm leveling a new toon.

Thanks for giving all this info and recommendations about the game!

Glad we can help and welcome smile.png