FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.1 Affliction Trinkets

Clearing all trinket work from before. This is current data with all viable raid trinkets and their corresponding values. Accurate as of 12/27/2012.

This should give a clearer picture of the trinket situation with Affliction. I've simulated each trinket on its own against no trinkets equipped and evaluated them one by one along with the valor upgraded options. I've also included my "paper evaluated DPS" which calculates theoretical DPS by using scale factors. I've included both the paper DPS and the simulated DPS for a comparitive look (they are very close in values).

Scale Factors:

Int = 4.28

Haste = 2.39

Mastery = 2.40

Crit = 1.49

item_herbd.jpgBlossom of Pure Snow

Upgrade=0: 5793 DPS (Paper DPS = 5957)

Upgrade=1: 6070 DPS (Paper DPS = 6179)

Upgrade=2: 6301 DPS (Paper DPS = 6416)

inv_hammer_29.jpgJade Magistrate Figurine

Upgrade=0: 5793 DPS (Paper DPS = 5957)

Upgrade=1: 6070 DPS (Paper DPS = 6179)

Upgrade=2: 6301 DPS (Paper DPS = 6416)

inv_pet_scorchedstone.jpgZen Alchemist Stone

Upgrade=0: 7093 DPS (Paper DPS = 7121)

Upgrade=1: 7121 DPS (Paper DPS = 7670)

inv_misc_pvp_trinket.jpgEssence of Terror

Upgrade=0: 7200 DPS (Paper DPS = 7354)

Upgrade=1: 7516 DPS (Paper DPS = 7630)

Upgrade=2: 7690 DPS (Paper DPS = 7923)

Upgrade=0: 8163 DPS (Paper DPS = 8299)

Upgrade=1: 8415 DPS (Paper DPS = 8610)

Upgrade=2: 8902 DPS (Paper DPS = 9365)

Upgrade=0: 9302 DPS (Paper DPS = 9365)

Upgrade=1: 9689 DPS (Paper DPS = 9719)

Upgrade=2: 9992 DPS (Paper DPS = 10087)

inv_offhand_ulduarraid_d_03.jpgLight of the Cosmos

Upgrade=0: 7189 DPS (Paper DPS = 7621)

Upgrade=1: 7409 DPS (Paper DPS = 7908)

Upgrade=2: 7645 DPS (Paper DPS = 8207)

Upgrade=0: 7971 DPS (Paper DPS = 8604)

Upgrade=1: 8405 DPS (Paper DPS = 8926)

Upgrade=2: 8700 DPS (Paper DPS = 9267)

Upgrade=0: 9061 DPS (Paper DPS = 9712)

Upgrade=1: 9563 DPS (Paper DPS = 10079)

Upgrade=2: 9953 DPS (Paper DPS = 10462)

inv_inscription_trinket_dragon.jpgRelic of Yu'lon

Upgrade=0: 8064 DPS (Paper DPS = 7978)

Upgrade=1: 8391 DPS (Paper DPS = 8279)

Upgrade=2: 8635 DPS (Paper DPS = 8591)

ability_vehicle_electrocharge.jpgStatic-Caster's Medallion

Upgrade=0: 6880 DPS (Paper DPS = 6860)

Upgrade=1: 7225 DPS (Paper DPS = 7095)

Upgrade=2: 7613 DPS (Paper DPS = 7398)

RANKING

1) Heroic Essence (upgrade2) = 9992 DPS

2) Heroic Cosmos (upgrade2) = 9953 DPS

3) Heroic Essence (upgrade1) = 9689 DPS

4) Heroic Cosmos (upgrade1) = 9563 DPS

5) Heroic Essence (upgrade0) = 9302 DPS

6) Heroic Cosmos (upgrade0) = 9061 DPS

7) Normal Essence (upgrade2) = 8902 DPS

8) Normal Cosmos (upgrade2) = 8700 DPS

9) Relic of Yu'lon (upgrade2) = 8635 DPS

10) Normal Essence (upgrade1) = 8415 DPS

11) Normal Cosmos (upgrade1) = 8405 DPS

12) Relic of Yu'lon (upgrade1) = 8391 DPS

13) Normal Essence (upgrade0) = 8163 DPS

14) Relic of Yu'lon (upgrade0) = 8064 DPS

15) Normal Cosmos (upgrade0) = 7971 DPS

16) LFR Essence (upgrade2) = 7690 DPS

17) LFR Cosmos (upgrade2) = 7645 DPS

18) Static-Caster's (upgrade2) = 7613 DPS

19) LFR Essence (upgrade1) = 7516 DPS

20) LFR Cosmos (upgrade1) = 7409 DPS

21) Static-Caster's (upgrade1) = 7225 DPS

22) LFR Essence (upgrade0) = 7200 DPS

23) LFR Cosmos (upgrade0) = 7189 DPS

24) Alchemist Stone (upgrade1) = 7121 DPS

25) Alchemist Stone (upgrade0) = 7093 DPS

26) Static-Caster's (upgrade0) = 6880 DPS

27) Blossom/Jade Figurine (upgrade2) = 6301 DPS

28) Blossom/Jade Figurine (upgrade1) = 6070 DPS

29) Blossom/Jade Figurine (upgrade0) = 5793 DPS

To summarize, you really want to hold onto your fully upgraded Relic of Yu'lon until you get Light of the Cosmos and Essence of Terror fully upgraded. Once you do that, you'll equip Cosmos and Essence and only replace them with the Heroic versions. The difference in DPS, however, from the Relic to Essence is a paltry 300 DPS, so don't break your back chasing these trinkets. Is spending 3000 Valor worth the 300 DPS increase to you? Not likely unless you have nothing else to spend Valor on. Notice just how awful the Static-Caster's Medallion is...not anywhere close to being worth the 1750 Valor unless you're horribly unlucky and haven't grabbed Cosmos OR Essence. If you're serious about DPS and your Warlock, grab the Relic of Yu'lon. This trinket will take good care of you until you get some beastly trinkets.

STAY AWAY FROM: Jade Figurine & Blossom of Eternal Snow. Static Intellect is nice, but that on-use Crit is just miserable. A non-upgraded LFR Cosmos or Essence puts the Jade Figurine and Snow to shame.

• Like 2

Most of the dips trinkets seem to only offer Intellect or spell power bonuses via procs while so many of the healer focussed trinkets offer a flat Intellect on equip bonus. The spirit procs are not useful but how do the constant Int bonuses of these trinkets sim? Our DoTs do not update dynamically, correct? To really benefit from these procs, we'd have to refresh our DoTs when they occur, correct?

For example:

Relic of Chi Ji 79330

Thousand-year pickled egg 87573

BTW, thanks for all this work you're doing. It's is my first post since I made an account a while ago since, whenever I have a question, I seem to find a post/article of yours that answers it!

Edited by keefbeef

Analyzing healing trinkets and such isn't necessarily a good use of time. Why would you want the healing DMF trinket when you can have the amazing caster one? If you can acquire one, you can get the other, so get the right one. The 1000 year egg could be used until something better is acquired, but when you look at some of the 463 choices, you see 847 Int with a Crit bonus. It might be difficult to weigh the difference, but we're really analyzing entry level gear when you should have your sights on the trinket from Elegon and your DMF trinket (shame on you if you didn't get it.) When Heart of Fear and Terrance open up, your push should be for the Essence of Terror and Light of the Cosmos.

I agree with you where it's shady that healers get all the pure Int + proc trinkets while we get trinkets that proc Intellect...just consider it Blizz's way of allowing healers to focus on keeping people alive without watching for procs. Their procs just give them more mana anyways.

Did u know something about the Heroic version of Jade Magistrate Figurine ?

It doesn't exist. Apparently they put in the files a heroic trash drop, but there have NEVER been heroic versions of trash trinkets. There also hasn't been one equipped on any character across the world as of last night.

It doesn't exist. Apparently they put in the files a heroic trash drop, but there have NEVER been heroic versions of trash trinkets. There also hasn't been one equipped on any character across the world as of last night.

I wonder why it is in wowhead if it does not exists.

Just to broke my heart probably Posted Image

PS: Relic Yu'lon it is really better than Normal Essence of Terror ? First time i see someone saying this, why? Since the ICD is kinda big and the proc MAY or MAY NOT help, depends how interact with you haste. I think they are kinda even, probably.

Edited by JvChequer

Hi I notice that this trinket has a 1min cd instead of 120sec as u said, if u dont mind redo the simulation

489 Blossom of Pure Snow = 90467 DPS (+4337 DPS) 16% Uptime, 120 sec CD

Why are you not using the Darkmoon Faire trinket? Light of the Cosmos + Relic of Yu'lon would make you have one of the best trinket combinations possible throughout this entire tier. It should be readily accessible for you with some minor effort or gold, whatever you're willing to work at. Anyone who wants to be better should get this trinket hands down.

If you refuse to heed my advice, I wouldn't replace the Stopwatch with the GID. Get yourself the Resin Globule or the Predator trinket. Both are superior and cheap/free/easy to pick up.

hi guys

any thoughts about the numbers regarding the fact that now you can upgrade for example the darkmoon card one ?

br

vlad o/

Edited by vldsb

Upgrading all trinkets across the board will result in the same proportion. Note that until you down Sha of Fear and get chances at normal Essence of Terror, your best trinket options are to upgrade Light of the Cosmos to ilvl 497 and Relic of Yu'lon to ilvl 484. This will make your trinkets very solid until you start knocking down heroic bosses.

uhm bare with me pls :-)

1st choice then would be the improved 484 dmc trinket and the 2nd would be what ? I'm having a hard time choosing between the raw int with the chance to improve it and the light of the cosmos heroic version with the chance to improve it ... i realize raw int isn't everything but was just wondering what to pick up from the math pow and ofc from the ICD pow.

edit: to better explain it, if the 1st bis choice would be the 484 dmc improved x2 what would be the 2nd picked from the 502 light of cosmos which i could improve x2 or the normal version of terror from sha which i could improve x2

thank you

br

vlad o/

Edited by vldsb

ability_vehicle_electrocharge.jpgStatic-Caster's Medallion

Wondering where this fits in.

I'll model it when Simcraft adds it to their list. Just from a paper napkin math model, it has some Haste on it which you would reforge into Mastery and an Intellect on use that lasts for 15 seconds with a 60 second cooldown. This means it has 25% uptime on a similar proc to Light of the Cosmos and Relic of Yu'lon. This would be a great pickup if you haven't gotten your Light of the Cosmos yet or skimped out on Relic of Yu'lon (shame on you). Otherwise, pack your Relic and your Light and upgrade them with Valor if you don't have your Sha-Touched weapon yet.

I'll model it when Simcraft adds it to their list. Just from a paper napkin math model, it has some Haste on it which you would reforge into Mastery and an Intellect on use that lasts for 15 seconds with a 60 second cooldown. This means it has 25% uptime on a similar proc to Light of the Cosmos and Relic of Yu'lon. This would be a great pickup if you haven't gotten your Light of the Cosmos yet or skimped out on Relic of Yu'lon (shame on you). Otherwise, pack your Relic and your Light and upgrade them with Valor if you don't have your Sha-Touched weapon yet.

Right now I have the Darkmoon trinket and the LFR Essence of Terror. If I replace either with the Static-Caster's Medallion I would be able to gain 1155 mastery. I know the long answer is to Simcraft it, but I'm at work. Would napkin math dictate to use Static-Caster's Medallion and Essence of Terror?

You won't be replacing your Relic of Yu'lon until you get a Heroic Light of the Cosmos/Essence of Terror. Static-Caster's Medallion is not better than either of the two I listed, nor is it better than the Relic of Yu'lon. Intellect > secondary stats always for trinket procs/statics.

You won't be replacing your Relic of Yu'lon until you get a Heroic Light of the Cosmos/Essence of Terror. Static-Caster's Medallion is not better than either of the two I listed, nor is it better than the Relic of Yu'lon. Intellect > secondary stats always for trinket procs/statics.

hey

what would you chose as 2nd trinket beside hc light of cosmos, Relic of Yu'lon or the normal version of essence of terror ? I for one can't decide about this one ... partially because of the big ICD terror has ...

thank you

Edited by vldsb

Relic all the way. People still undervalue the awesomeness of this trinket. It has a static Int value (over 1000 upgraded to 484) with a sizeable proc (over 3000) that has a 30-35% uptime. Unfortunately, it was offered to us as a 476, so it'll get replaced by sheer stats soon, but until you have the Heroic version of Essence, keep your Yu'lon on.

Alright, updated values. Feast your hearts out, because I can't for the life of me find any other simulation or theorycrafting work on these trinkets. Feel free to critique and comment.

I assume you're talking about Afflcition only, based on the stat weights and your own personal preference. I think once you get towards the bottom of the list, those trinkets with crit procs are probably decent for Destruction - although it presumably doesn't change the top of the list (Essence, Cosmos, and the Relic are going to be your best three options regardless of spec).

I like the game mechanic of upgrading items, but it does make ranking lists a bit confusing.

So if we just compare the items without upgrades (or compare them all at the same upgrade level)

a) The Heroic versions of the trinkets are BiS, which is to be expected.

b ) Normal Essence, Normal Cosmos, and the Relic are all about equal. Given the drop rates on trinkets, I doubt very many people are going to be lucky enough to have the luxury of having all three in their inventory :-), If you have any two of these you're in pretty good shape.

c) The LFR versions of Essence & Cosmos are not as good as the Relic, but are better than anything else.

d) The Static-Caster's Medallion isn't great (especially for the cost) - but if you haven't had any luck with drops and/or you can't afford the Relic, it's better than the any of the heroic 5-man trinkets, the Shado-Pan trinket, the Jade Figurine or any of the Justice Point Trinkets.

I get what you're saying about the Medallion - but it does seem like it and the Relic are your best two options that don't drop from a raid boss. I think that's worth mentioning - it seems to be something people look for, especially with trinkets since the drop rates on them tend to be pretty low, and you have a lot of people competing for them.

Edited by Stunlocked

Destruction isn't necessarily a crit hungry monster like Fire Mages. Those trinkets are still bad. The Medallion is really that bad. Relic embarrasses it, and there's really no reason not to have the Relic if you're serious about raiding. This far into the tier, if you're not holding at least an LFR version of Essence or Light of the Cosmos, I really feel bad for your RNG luck. If you actually care about DPS, odds are you're in a stable group with the same composition. The only players with a viable grab at Light of the Cosmos are Boomkins, Shadow Priests, and Fire Mages, which don't really exist anymore. If you have more than one other caster in your 10 man, your comp isn't ideal, and in 25 man, you're sure to see the drops more often.

As for the upgrading mechanic, upgrading trinkets and weapons should be the highest priority, so you can't really discredit using Valor Points to upgrade trinkets if you haven't acquired a beastly weapon yet. Your upgrading order should be weapon > trinkets > properly itemized pieces not soon to be replaced > other crap. I'm running around with a fully upgraded Relic of Yu'lon and Light of the Cosmos. I picked up Essence last night and wanted to test the simulation numbers since no one else has yet. I found that if I spend 1500 Valor in Essence, it'll be a 300 DPS gain over Relic. Not worth it at all. All this list was intended to do was show how much your DPS would go up if you dropped a blue trinket or went from an LFR version to another. For those with all three trinkets in their bag, don't replace an already upgraded trinket with one you'll need to upgrade. Hang tight and wait til you get a heroic version.

This far into the tier, if you're not holding at least an LFR version of Essence or Light of the Cosmos, I really feel bad for your RNG luck.

In general that's probably true, but there are people who started late, may be leveling a warlock as a 2nd character, etc. Trinkets are a tough item for many people to judge, so a list like this will get attention from a lot of people.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into a big argument or say the Medallion is awesome. It's about what you'd expect from a valor trinket - better than heroic items, not as good as any raid drop. At least they haven't yet done what they did in Wrath, which was stick two ridiculous +hit trinkets on vendors two tiers in a row :-)

Thanks for putting the list together!

Thanks for your input! It's difficult for me to maintain my footing and stand by my math without sounding condescending or argumentative, but I swear to you I'm just trying to provide a mature, information backed argument. I'm actually thoroughly impressed with the standings of Relic, Essence, and Cosmos. They gave us 3 trinkets that are similar in value so you can...CHOOSE? WHAT? Isn't that what they wanted out of Talents and Glyphs? Seems they are doing some things well and horribly elsewhere. I do absolutely love that H Essence and H Cosmos are worth 10k DPS each. I remember being the top DPS on our first Cho'gall kill at 13.5k...my how things have changed.