Wild Quest Warrior Deck List Guide - Rise of Shadows April 2019
This guide contains detailed Strategy, Mulligan, and deck-building information to help you play Quest Warrior in The Boomsday Project expansion.
Quest Warrior is a deck that was created during the Journey to Un'Goro expansion and has remained a competitive deck in some capacity throughout its lifetime. It uses a range of Taunt minions and removal spells to slow down the game while working towards the completion of the Fire Plume's Heart Quest. Once the Quest is completed, Sulfuras can be used to gain the DIE, INSECT! Hero Power to begin bombarding opponents with 8 damage per turn until the game comes to an inevitable end.
The many Taunt and Rush minions added in the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion allow pure Quest Warrior to function alongside its Odd counterpart.
Import This Deck in Hearthstone
Rate This Deck
Quest Warrior uses a Control style for the majority of the game and your overall Mulligan strategy will usually involve a mix or defensive tools and card draw to facilitate this.
During the early game, you will have very little options available to you other than playing Town Crier or your Fire Plume's Heart Quest on turn 1. When given the choice between the two cards, you should always prioritise the Town Crier first as your Quest can easily be played on the following turn, before your first Taunt minion comes into play.
On turn 3, you will almost always want to play Stonehill Defender. The type of deck you are currently facing will greatly influence the minion you choose to Discover from your Stonehill Defender. Against Control decks, you should often prioritise the cheapest option, like Wax Elemental to help your complete your Quest faster, or the highest value option such as The Lich King. Against Aggro decks, you should look for your best defensive choice, such as Tar Creeper or Saronite Chain Gang. However, in all matchups, you should also take into consideration your upcoming turns. For example, if you have zero strong plays for the upcoming turns, it is almost always favourable to choose any 4 or 5-Mana choice offered instead.
Going into the mid game, you priority should be controlling the board. You have a broad range of tools available, such as Blood Razor and Execute for single targets and Brawl and Warpath for wide boards. When deciding which removal tools to use, you should take into consideration the synergies your removal has with cards in your hand. For example, the Whirlwind effects from Blood Razor and Warpath work well with Acolyte of Pain and the Raptors created by Cornered Sentry. Brawl is also much less likely to give your opponent a favourable result if it can be combined with Cornered Sentry. Conversely, Execute and Shield Slam can be quite situational and will offer no value if you have no way to damage a minion or no Armor.
As you reach the late game, you should begin planning out completion of your Quest. You should primarily look to use Phantom Militia to complete most of your progress, but when you use it will be impacted by how many Taunt minions you have drawn into so far. If you have played many Taunt minions earlier in the game, playing 2 copies of Phantom Militia for 6 Mana will suffice. If you have not played many Taunt minions prior, Phantom Militia should be saved for turn 9 instead where 3 copies can be played.
When you eventually complete Fire Plume's Heart and have Sulfuras ready to play, it is important to consider the state of the game before playing it. If your opponent has a wide board, it is unlikely that the DIE, INSECT! will offer much value. Instead, it is better to spend Mana playing or trying to draw into board clears like Warpath and Brawl.
In the late game, you will gain an additional tool to help clear your opponent's board in the form of Scourgelord Garrosh. Both the Shadowmourne weapon and Bladestorm Hero Power can be used to help clear your opponent's board. Additionally, as Scourgelord Garrosh replaces your current Hero Power, it is important to play it before Sulfuras to prevent your DIE, INSECT! Hero Power from being replaced.
When it comes to closing out games, you should be aiming to win almost entirely by putting pressure onto your opponent with the DIE, INSECT! Hero Power. When you reach this stage of the game, you should use any remaining cards you have in your hand to manipulate the board in such a way that there are only favourable targets for your Hero Power. This will usually consist of using Taunt minions to protect your Health, using single-target removal to remove problematic minions, and Warpath to remove any low-Health minions.
Quest Warrior is quite flexible in how it is built. The only key cards that must remain in the deck are the Fire Plume's Heart Quest, and Phantom Militia and Stonehill Defender to greatly aid in completing it.
Quick Tips and Tricks
- Save Phantom Militia until late in the game so it can be used to complete a large amount of your Quest.
- If you are going to play Scourgelord Garrosh, remember to do so before you play Sulfuras.
- Use Cornered Sentry early against Taunt Druid to counter Witching Hour.
- Try and combine Cornered Sentry with cards like Drywhisker Armorer, Brawl, or Blood Razor.
Similar Hearthstone Decks
If you enjoyed playing Quest Warrior, we have many other Hearthstone deck guides you may enjoy.
Other Quest decks:
- 08 Apr. 2019: Deck has been moved to Wild for the year of the Dragon.
- 03 Mar. 2019: Deck has been reviewed for the March play season.
- 08 Jan. 2019: Guide has been updated for the Rastakhan's Rumble expansion.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Deck has been reviewed for the October play season.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Guide updated for The Boomsday Project expansion. Removed 1x Whirlwind, 1x Slam for 2x Weapons Project.
- 01 Jul. 2018: Guide has been reviewed for the July play season.
- 25 Jun. 2018: Deck added.
- Diablo 2 Retrospective
- Diablo 2 20-year Anniversary Celebration with New Wings, a Diablo Bust, Videos and More!
- Diablo 2 Remaster Won't Be Announced in June
- Diablo 2 Creators on the Rumored Remaster: No Censoring, It's a Tough Job
- Diablo 2 Remaster Significantly More Likely After Two Job Postings Surface
- World First Diablo 2 + LoD Speed Run in Under 1 Hour
- Diablo 2 Remaster? A "Classic Revival" to Be Announced at IGN Summer
- BlizzCon 2020 Cancelled, New Plans Being Worked On