Arcane Mage Best Corruptions and Corrupted Items — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will learn what the best corruptions and the best corrupted items are for an Arcane Mage in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3. We also tell you how to handle corruption effects.
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
Purchased Corruption for Arcane Mage
Echoes of Ny'alotha can now be used to buy specific Corruption effects from MOTHER, in the Chamber of the Heart. These are applied just like an enchantment scroll to any viable item.
You can learn all about this new system in our specialized guide for Echoes of Ny'alotha below.
Picking Arcane Mage Corruption Items
The best way to determine which of your Corrupted items to use, is by using Raidbots Top Gear. You should set a maximum Corruption value that you are comfortable with, and simply simulate the highest DPS set.
Below, we will have some guidance to help you pick effects, but ultimately it comes down to the amount of Corruption the item has versus the DPS it gives you (DPS per Corruption point), and how much Corruption you are willing to have on your gear.
Infinite Stars is the best single-target Corruption effect, per point of Corruption, and overall per item, as long as you can get ample time to stack the effect on a target. This means it will lose a lot of value if there are never targets alive for long periods of time.
Gushing Wound is a very strong effect for a lot of situations. Since it only has 1 level, you can generally stack a lot of these, especially with the corruption vendor offering this effect. It is one of the best all around effects for Arcane.
All the percentage stat Corruption effects are roughly similar in strength, with Severe usually winning out a bit over other Corruptions.
Corruption Effects Simulations
There are 2 types of simulations that can be done for the Corruption effects, namely: DPS per point of Corruption and DPS per effect. Generally speaking, DPS per point of Corruption is more important than DPS per total effect, since you only have a limited amount of Corruption you can comfortably use in a raid setting. Below, we have listed both types of simulations:
DPS per Point of Corruption
DPS per Effect
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
- The Thing From Beyond that spawns from Grand Delusions can be negated in a couple of different ways. The most efficient way is by using Greater Invisibility, however you might want to save this for certain raid mechanics. A different efficient alternative is using Frost Nova to root it in place. However, in a lot of cases, depending on what is happening in the raid, you can also simply soak the damage of Thing From Beyond by using Prismatic Barrier. You should be careful not to do this when there are high damage raid mechanics happening at the same time. The final way to deal with Grand Delusions is to Shimmer away from it, and when it comes close to you, use Displacement to get away from it again.
Your Legendary Cloak, Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve, will have a special on-use effect that clears all Corruption effects from you. This should be used if you get hit by a Thing From Beyond while above 60 Corruption. Otherwise, use it whenever you are in a very sticky situation, such as being slowed inside a voidzone. You should also use it if you are meant to be stacked with your group, and you get an Eye of Corruption on you.
How Much Corruption Should I Run as an Arcane Mage
Generally speaking, anything below 40 is considered safe and can be used in all situations. If the content you are doing is easy, and you are confident that you can successfully deal with all of the Things from Beyond, then you can run up to 60. We do not recommend running above 60 in any sort of competitive environment. It is also worth noting, that running over 40 Corruption is not suggested at all if you find yourself running around a lot to avoid the Thing From Beyond, as this will negate any possible DPS increase you get from the additional Corruption effects.
- 20 May 2020: Added info about new corruption vendor.
- 04 Apr. 2020: Moved Corruption to a separate page and added a section on how to deal with the effects.
- Gushing Wound Corruption Nerf Delayed
- BlizzCon 2020 Cancelled, New Plans Being Worked On
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through May 29th
- Allied Races Customization Options Concept by Silverleaf2520
- Jailer Hound Mounts in Shadowlands
- Original WoW Designer on World Buffs and Their Creation/Purpose
- The Man of a Hundred Armor Sets: the Handclaw Interview
- Naked Paladin One-Shotting the Horde