Elemental Shaman Best Corruptions and Corrupted Items — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will learn what the best corruptions and the best corrupted items are for an Elemental Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3. We also tell you how to handle corruption effects.
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
What Corruption Powers to Buy for Elemental Shamans
Echoes of Ny'alotha can now be used to buy specific corruption powers from MOTHER, in the Chamber of the Heart in Silithus.
This allows you to optimize the corruptions on your gear without any RNG involved, as long as you have enough Echoes to buy the corruptions you need.
You can learn all about this new system in our specialized guide for Echoes of Ny'alotha below.
For Elemental Shaman we recommend you acquire a few different ones to get good corruption "sets" for different types of encounters. Because of the different costs for the various corruptions you will probably want to mix and match various corruptions in order to get the best DPS for the corruption levels you are willing to endure.
You most likely want Gushing Wound no matter what as it remains the most efficient single-target corruption, and is still good in multi-target situations.
We recommend you get a set of Infinite Stars as for pure single-target it is very strong reliable DPS.
For all-purpose corruption, Expedient, Severe and Strikethrough are fairly close and you should use simulations to determine what is strongest for you. However, for most people, Expedient will be your best choice, especially for AoE.
Twisted Appendage is strong in single-target scenarios and should be considered for most fights where single-target is key. However, it is barely better than the above corruptions in single-target and falls behind in cleave/AoE. The fact that it has a different cost makes it worth looking at regardless.
Best Corruptions for Elemental Shaman
We have provided simulations below for all the different Corruptions, but we still feel the need to explain why some Corruptions are good and so on, as simulations rarely tell the full story.
- Gushing Wound is the most efficient single-target Corruption on high item level items (475 iLvl and higher) and is very sought after. It remains strong in multi-target situations.
- Flash of Insight is a fantastic corruption that is very powerful in every scenario.
- Infinite Stars remains very powerful in pure single-target situation, but it loses a lot of its strength in other scenarios.
- Strikethrough is very solid in single-target and still okay for AoE/cleave.
- Expedient and Severe are pretty good in all scenarios, their value highly depends on your stats.
- Twisted Appendage is quite powerful in single-target, but weak in cleave/AoE.
- Twilight Devastation is the best raw cleave/AoE corruption, but not by much, it also requires you to be in melee and is bad for single-target; niche at best.
Corruption Simulations for Elemental Shaman
Single-Target DPS per Corruption Point
The top chart is more generally useful. Corruption is a resource that we want to minimize wherever we can, and the top chart provides you with an idea of which Corruption affixes provide the most DPS for the Corruption they add to your gear. The bottom chart is more of a showcase of the DPS potential of the Corruptions.
Single-Target Corruption DPS Overall
We do not recommend making choices based off of this chart. We recommend using the "DPS per Corruption Point" chart instead.
AoE DPS per Corruption Point
AoE Corruption DPS Overall
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
- Ghost Wolf will negate the effects of Grasping Tendrils slow.
- The Thing From Beyond that spawns from Grand Delusions can be handled with crowd control abilities like Thunderstorm, Earthbind Totem, and Capacitor Totem.
Your Legendary Cloak, Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve, will have a special on-use effect that clears all Corruption effects from you. This should be used if you get hit by a Thing From Beyond while above 60 Corruption. Otherwise, use it whenever you are in a very sticky situation, such as being slowed inside a voidzone. You should also use it if you are meant to be stacked with your group, and you get an Eye of Corruption on you.
How Much Corruption Should I Run As a Elemental Shaman
Generally speaking, anything below 40 is considered safe and can be used in all situations. If the content you are doing is easy, and you are confident that you can successfully control or avoid Things from Beyond, then you can run up to 60. We do not recommend running above 60 in any sort of competitive environment.
- 23 May 2020: Added a section on buying Corruption Powers from MOTHER for Echoes of Ny'alotha.
- 26 Apr. 2020: Page added (moved from Gear section).
- Gushing Wound Corruption Nerf Delayed
- BlizzCon 2020 Cancelled, New Plans Being Worked On
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through May 29th
- Allied Races Customization Options Concept by Silverleaf2520
- Jailer Hound Mounts in Shadowlands
- Original WoW Designer on World Buffs and Their Creation/Purpose
- The Man of a Hundred Armor Sets: the Handclaw Interview
- Naked Paladin One-Shotting the Horde