Unholy Death Knight Best Corruptions and Corrupted Items — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will learn what the best corruptions and the best corrupted items are for an Unholy Death Knight in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3. We also tell you how to handle corruption effects.
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
What Corruption Powers to Buy For Unholy Death Knights
Echoes of Ny'alotha can now be used to buy specific corruption powers to be placed on whatever gear your choose, they are purchased from MOTHER in the Champer of the Heart in Silithus.
You can learn all about this new system in our specialized guide for Echoes of Ny'alotha below.
For Unholy Death Knights we recommend that you stack Expedient on as many pieces as possible. Racing Pulse is also a very strong corruption that when combined with Expedient can become even more valuable.
There are 2 major builds for Unholy, Army of the Damned and Unholy Frenzy. These builds use the same Corruption and do not require any gearing changes meaning you do not have to worry about multiple gear sets for different Single Target builds as Unholy.
Best Corruptions for Unholy Death Knight
We have provided simulations below for all the different Corruptions, but we still feel the need to explain why some Corruptions are good and so on, as simulations rarely tell the full story.
- Gushing Wound is a strong single target corruption, however due to the recent nerfs it has lost some of its value.
- Severe increases the Crit you gain from all sources and is fairly strong for Unholy, but not nearly as strong as Expedient.
- Expedient is incredibly powerful for Unholy, this is a must have trait and offers some of the highest DPS per corruption rating you can get.
- Racing Pulse is a large Haste buff that lasts 4 seconds. It works well for all situations and is a solid choice. Using this Corruption, along with heavy Haste procs on your gear is amazing.
- Deadly Momentum pairs well with Severe Corruption Traits, and is essentially a passive Critical Strike buff.
- Void Ritual is a solid choice. Its highest level provides 66 Corruption, which makes it good at "filling out" your Corruption allowance. It gets 20% better when there are nearby players using it as well.
- Infinite Stars is the strongest trait on its own for single-target, however it loses value on add cleave fights, since the corruption trait can proc on anything and not just your target.
Corruption Weapon for Unholy Death Knight
- Sk'shuul Vaz has the Obsidian Skin effect, which is a much better option for Blood Death Knights as opposed to Unholy. This weapon does not have a very good corruption to DPS ratio and may need to be cleansed.
- Devastation's Hour has the Twilight Devastation effect has a decent effect that can be very good in Mythic+ or other AoE situations. For single target and corruption to DPS ratio, however, this weapon is not very strong and may need to be cleansed. If you plan on cleansing one of the raid weapons, then choose Devastation's Hour, since it is from N'Zoth and rolls a higher item level, meaning more stats.
Corruption Simulations for Unholy Death Knight
Single-Target DPS per Corruption Point
The top chart is more generally useful. Corruption is a resource that we want to minimize wherever we can, and the top chart provides you an idea of which Corruption affixes provide the most DPS for the Corruption they add to your gear. The bottom chart is more of a showcase of the DPS potential of the Corruptions.
Single-Target Corruption DPS Overall
We do not recommend making choices based off of this chart. We recommend using the "DPS per Corruption Point" chart instead. These charts also use the Unholy Frenzy build meaning things will be different if you are running Army of the Damned.
AoE DPS per Corruption Point
AoE Corruption DPS Overall
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
- Death's Advance and Wraith Walk are very useful for dealing with Grasping Tendrils, so saving these cooldowns for crucial moments where movement is important is very helpful.
- Anti-Magic Shell can be used to absorb some of the damage of the Eye of Corruption, which can also act as a DPS gain, seeing as you will gain Runic power when your Anti-Magic Shell absorbs magic damage.
- Asphyxiate can be used on the Thing from Beyond from Grand Delusions in order to get rid of it, since it disappears when it is stunned.
Your Legendary Cloak, Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve, will have a special on-use effect that clears all Corruption effects off of you. This should be used if a Thing From Beyond gets close to you while above 60 Corruption. Otherwise, use it whenever you are in a very sticky situation, such as being slowed inside a voidzone or have 2 Eyes of Corruption on you.
How Much Corruption Should I Run as an Unholy Death Knight?
Generally speaking, anything below 40 is considered safe and can be used in all situations. Between 40 and 59 causes the Thing from Beyond to spawn which can be very difficult to deal with on some fights so be careful. We do not recommend running above 60 in any sort of competitive environment.
- 04 Jun. 2020: Updated for Gushing Wounds nerf.
- 24 May 2020: Added a section for Echoes of Ny'alotha.
- 29 Apr. 2020: Made minor change to format.
- 23 Apr. 2020: Guide added.
- Hunter Stable Size Increased to 205 Slots in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34972: Class Changes
- Tyrannical Affix No Longer Affects Boss Mobs in Shadowlands
- Priest Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Shaman Legendary Powers in Shadowlands
- Changes to Combat Potions on the Shadowlands Alpha
- Demon Hunter Shadowlands Major Class Changes: July 1st
- An Update on Pelagos' Pronouns on the Shadowlands Alpha