Uber Duriel is the second Uber endgame boss that was added to Diablo 4. He is a Level 100 boss and has a chance to drop Unique items, as well as a low chance to drop Uber Unique items, which are the rarest and most powerful items in the game.
In this guide, we will cover how to summon Uber Duriel, what his abilities are, and how to defeat him.
How to Summon Uber Duriel
Uber Duriel will not be accessible at the start of the game. The boss will only be available in World Tier IV (Torment), and you will have to fulfill certain requirements, as well as possess certain items, in order to fight Uber Duriel.
To summon Uber Duriel, two components are needed:
- Mucus-Slick Eggs; obtained by defeating Varshan
- Shards of Agony; obtained from defeating Grigoire the Galvanic Saint
Both of these bosses, Varshan and Grigoire, are available in World Tier 3 and 4, but the items needed for Uber Duriel only drop in World Tier 4!
- Varshan is a boss that requires you to defeat Grotesque Debtors during Whispers of the Dead, and collect enough Body Parts of Varshan. Turning in 10 Whispers will guarantee one Body Part. You need 10 in order to summon Varshan. Once that is done, head to Varshan’s zone (near the Tree of Whispers) to summon him. He has a chance to drop Mucus-Slick Eggs, which are needed to summon Uber Duriel.
- Grigoire is another new boss. In order to summon Grigoire, you will need to gather enough Living Steel from Tortured Offerings inside Helltide events. Once enough has been gathered, Grigoire can be summoned. He has a chance to drop Shards of Agony, which are also needed to summon Uber Duriel.
Once enough Mucus-Slick Eggs and Shards of Agony have been gathered, they can be used to summon Uber Duriel.
Remember, you will need both materials every time you want to summon Uber Duriel again. So, don’t throw them away after you beat him for the first time! Furthermore, if you are in a party, only one person needs to have the materials, and you can trade them with other players.
Take a look at the Blizzard progression table to get a better idea of when a boss can be reached:
Uber Duriel Boss Abilities
Uber Duriel presents a challenging fight with five different main mechanics that you will need to be aware of. Mobility skills, dodging, and poison resistance will be essential, as you must be quick to evade his powerful attacks. Fortunately, most of them are easy to anticipate and react to.
The 5 main mechanics he uses are the following:
- Claw Slash: Uber Duriel will slash anything that is directly in front of him with multiple claw attacks, and will end his move with a ground stab, which is also creating a poison pool. The pool will deal Poison damage if you step into it, so make sure to avoid it. Try to attack Duriel from behind, to avoid getting slashed by his claw attack.
- Poison Pool: During the fight, Duriel will regularly shoot poison projectiles. Those will deal Poison damage to players, as well as create a poison pool on the ground upon landing. The pools can be rather large, so be careful not to step on them.
- Charge: Duriel will sometimes charge towards a player. This is the moment when you will have to use your evade skill in order to get out of the way. He will bend backwards before charging right in front of him until reaching the other side of the arena. If you get hit by the charge, it will deal heavy damage.
- Burrow: This attack will only happen if the fight lasts long enough. Duriel will phase and burrow underground. He will then proceed to come back out from the ground through another hole. When Duriel emerges, he brings with him a certain amount of Maggots that will shoot poison. This attack is one of the most deadly, as Duriel will deal a huge amount of damage to you when coming back out, so make sure to avoid being close to the holes.
- Maggots: Duriel will summon maggots multiple times during the fight. These maggots are not very dangerous on their own, but we recommend you kill them fast, as they inflict a lot of Poison damage, and being surrounded by too many of them can be fatal.
How to Defeat Uber Duriel
The fight against Uber Duriel can be challenging, but with some preparation, it will not be hard to defeat him. Here are some tips and tricks on how to best prepare in order to defeat Uber Duriel:
- Have good defense: Uber Duriel is Level 100, and some of his attacks can be devastating. We advise you to maximize your armor and resistances.
- Maximize your poison resistance: Take particular care in maximizing your poison resistance, as it is one of the major damage types that Duriel deals, and being affected by Poison over time can be fatal with low poison resistance (maximum resistance is around 70%).
- Don’t get surrounded by Maggots: Even if they seem small and insignificant, if you get surrounded by too many adds, the fight can become tricky. Defeat them as soon as possible. Note: Duriel will summon adds at the start of the fight, and they need to be defeated in order for Uber Duriel to first appear.
- Keep your distance from Holes: Holes are where the Maggots spawn, or where Duriel comes back out after his Burrow attack. Both can do a great amount of damage if you are standing on a hole while something comes out of it, so make sure to keep your distance.
- Group up: Grouping with other players will make the fight harder, as Duriel will scale with the number of players. However, it will also make it easier to deal damage and work together. If you have a balanced team with different roles and skills, you can coordinate your attacks and strategies to defeat Uber Duriel more efficiently.
- Note: only one player from the party needs to use the materials in order to summon Duriel.
- You can die and retry: Unlike some other bosses, Uber Duriel will not disappear if you die during the fight, as long as you do not reset the dungeon. You can simply walk back to the boss room where you summoned him, and he will be there waiting for you. However, if you reset the dungeon, you will need to use materials again to summon him.
Uber Duriel will be an important boss to defeat in order to have a chance of dropping some very interesting and specific rewards for those who can defeat this boss. Here is what you can get from him:
- Higher drop chance for Uniques.
- Uber Uniques, which are the rarest and most powerful items in the game. Uber Duriel is the only boss that can be target farmed for Uber Uniques.
- A new mount called the Smoldering Brimstone Mount.
For more information on Uniques, Uber Uniques, and how to farm them, check out our guides below:How to Farm Uniques from Bosses How to Farm Uber Uniques from Bosses
Uber bosses are challenging endgame bosses that will test your skills and gear, and Duriel is no exception! But he is also a rewarding fight, and has a chance to drop some of the best items in the game.
If you follow the tips and strategies in this guide, you should be able to defeat him and claim your prizes. Just remember to have fun and enjoy the game!