This is your comprehensive guide for building a true Spartan. A warrior driven by their thirst for battle, built to bring the demons of hell to their knees as he lays waste to them. His mind driven into a frenzy, but still tempered like steel – harnessed to withstand the darkness that Hell pours out on to the land of Sanctuary. Welcome to our Frenzy Endgame build. This build handles the hordes of hell with Frenzy, holding its ground as it rapidly cuts down the enemy. The simplicity of this build makes it a true joy to play and you might even find yourself yelling “This is Sparta!” as you send your enemy barreling backwards from a Power Kick.
Our guide will cover all basic mechanics and deep dive into the optimal setup for skills, Paragon, and gear for the build.
Strengths and Weaknesses
- Amazing Single Target Damage
- Low Cooldown For Your Shouts
- Huge Damage From Kick
- Clears NM 100 Dungeons
- Up close & personal
- Gear dependent
To see how this build compares to the other builds on our site, you can check out our build tier lists.
This build has several Legendary Aspects that are required before it will function properly. For the Legendary Aspects you will need the following at a minimum to make the build work at its most basic level. These Aspects are all non-codex, which means you will need to find them on a Legendary Item then imprint them onto specific gear.
We are also going to use the new Unique pants and Barbarian Helm from Season 2, Tuskhelm of Joritz the Mighty and Tibault’s Will, as a requirement for this build.
To even begin this build, we recommend you have these Aspects ready for imprinting at a minimum. For the build it become fully functional, we recommend you have all the Legendary Aspects listed further in this guide for the build to work optimally.
Season of Blood
Season 2 Patch Updates
This build has been designed within Season 2 with all mechanics coming from the current patch cycle. Important items to note about Season 2 are:
- Resistances new stack additively and no longer become less effective with each additional source, while also contributing their full value to Non-physical Damage Reduction. Resistance values on equipment, Elixirs and Paragon have been increased to more easily reach the new 70% cap. Furthermore, Intelligence now gives +0.025% All Resistance per 1 Intelligence instead of 0.05% All Resistance to compensate.
- Increased Critical Strike / Vulnerable Damage affixes are now additive with other damage increases instead of being multiplicative. This change is a nerf to make Critical Strike Damage and Vulnerable Damage comparable to other dame increase options. All classes are affected by this change.
- % Total Armor affix has been increased by 160%.
Vampiric Power Tier List
Season 2 introduces Vampiric Powers that provide build-altering bonuses. We start by spending Potent Blood, which is acquired from vampiric enemies, to unlock and upgrade your Vampiric Powers. Make sure your equipped chest armor, pants, gloves, boots and helm contain the appropriate Vampiric Pacts (Ferocity, Divinity and Eternity) that match the activation costs needed to unlock a Vampiric Power.
A Vampiric Curse status effect has been added to complement the new powers: killing an enemy affected by your Vampiric Curses will store their soul. Casting a Defensive skill will unleash your stored souls to attack nearby enemies. You can store up to 8 souls total.
Listed below is the tier list for Vampiric Powers , ranked by importance to this build. Stat values displayed reflect a maximum level 3 Vampiric Power.
- Sanguine Brace (1 Divinity, 1 Eternity): When you kill an enemy, Fortify for 6% of your Base Life. While you have more Fortify than half of your Maximum Life, you gain 8% Critical Strike Chance.
- Prey on the Weak (2 Ferocity): You deal 16% increased damage to Vulnerable enemies. Enemies are Vulnerable while affected by a Vampiric Curse from your other Vampiric Powers.
- Hectic (3 Divinity): For every 5 Basic Skills you cast, one of your active Cooldowns is reduced by 2 seconds.
- Moonrise (6 Ferocity): Hitting an enemy with a Basic Skill grants you 4% Attack Speed for 10 seconds, stacking up to 5 times. Upon reaching maximum stacks, you enter a Vampiric Bloodrage, gaining 160% Basic Skill damage and 15% Movement Speed for 10 seconds.
- Metamorphosis (2 Ferocity, 2 Divinity, 2 Eternity): When you Evade you turn into a cloud of bats, becoming Unstoppable for 4 seconds. Enemies along your path take 160% Physical damage and are inflicted with Vampiric Curse.
Skill Tree Points and Skill Bar
Follow the points allocated in the image above for the complete 58 point build. The additional 10 skill points are completed using the Renown system.
|Frenzy Level 5, Enhanced Frenzy, Combat Frenzy||Basic Skill|
|Imposing Presence Level 3, Martial Vigor Level 3, Rallying Cry Level 1, Enhanced Rallying Cry, Strategic Rallying Cry, Challenging Shout Level 1, Enhanced Challenging Shout||Defensive Skill|
|War Cry Level 5, Enhanced War Cry, Power War Cry, Booming Voice Level 3, Raid Leader Level 3, Aggressive Resistance Level 3, Prolific Fury Level 3, Battle Fervor Level 3, Kick Level 5, Enhanced Kick, Power Kick||Brawling Skill|
|Thick Skin Level 1, Counteroffensive Level 3, Pit Fighter Level 3||Weapon Mastery Skill|
|Wrath of the Berserker, Prime Wrath of the Berserker, Supreme Wrath of the Berserker||Ultimate Skill|
Weapon Expertise – The Barbarian Specialization
Weapon Expertise is a set of benefits tied to which weapons you use as a Barbarian. To unlock your Expertise, simply hit Level 5 and the tab below will be made available. By using a certain weapon type, you will begin to gain ranks with that weapon as you fight. The ranks are from 0 to 10 and will level up moderately quickly as your character gains experience. Once your expertise hit rank 10, you will be maxed out on the benefit for using that weapon with your skills. As a reminder, to swap your assigned weapon to the skill you are using, go to your Skill selection list (not Skill Tree) and you will see how to switch it. For mouse and keyboard users, you can access this by pressing the middle mouse button. At Level 15, you will unlock the Masters of Battle quest. This quest will be available in the township of ‘Ked Bardu’ from the Forgemaster Gerti. Upon completing this quest, you will unlock the Technique slots as seen below. This will offer you an additional permanent bonus from one of the weapons regardless of whether you have it equipped to a skill or not.
For the Walking Arsenal Build, we use the Two-Handed Axe Technique to raise our damage against Vulnerable Enemies.
Barbarians have an unique mechanic in Diablo 4 where you can assign a weapon type to certain skills. This is a critical component for all builds to function properly, and failure to match your weapon to the proper skill may cause the build to perform poorly. For this build, we will be assigning the following weapons to our skills:
- Frenzy – Dual Wielding
We recommend using these Legendary nodes and Rare Glyphs to truly take this build into the endgame. Note that each Rare Glyph’s information listed below is for the Level 21 version.
|Exploit||– For every 5 Dexterity purchased within range, you deal + [3.85%] increased damage to Vulnerable targets.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 25 Dexterity points are purchased in the glyph’s range: When an enemy is damaged by you, they become Vulnerable for 3 seconds. This cannot happen more than once every 20 seconds per enemy.
|Territorial||– For every 5 Dexterity purchased within range, you deal +[9.6]% increased damage to Close targets.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 25 Dexterity points are purchased in the glyph’s range: You gain 10% Damage Reduction against Close enemies.
|Marshal||– Grants +[125%] bonus to all Magic nodes within range.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 40 Strength points are purchased in the glyph’s range: After casting a Shout Skill, the active Cooldown of every other Shout Skill is reduced by 1.2 seconds.
|Ambidextrous||– Grants +% to all Magic Nodes within range.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 40 Strength points are purchased in the glyph’s range: You deal +% increased damage while wielding One-handed weapons.
|Undaunted||– For every 5 Willpower purchased within range, you deal + [8%] increased damage while Fortified.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 25 Willpower points are purchased in the glyph’s range:
You gain 10% Damage Reduction the more Fortify you have.
|Ire||– For every 5 Strength purchased within range, you deal +[8%] increased damage while Berserking.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 40 Strength points are purchased in the glyph’s range: While Berserking, you take 10% reduced damage from Elites.
|Carnage||– While Berserking, Critical Strikes increase your Attack Speed by +2%, up to +16% for 6 seconds.|
|Blood Rage||– Killing a Bleeding enemy has 10% chance to grant Berserking for 5 seconds. Your Damage is increased by x25% of your Damage while Berserking bonus.|
Let’s break down each of these beneficial nodes and where our Paragon Points are positioned in each of the paragon boards we use. This part of the build is presented in order of importance. If you do not have enough Paragon Points to use in your Paragon Tree, just slowly work towards each step.
- Take the pathway up the right hand side of the board towards the open glyph slot.
- Along route pick up the Rare Node Brawn, this will boost our flat damage and offer us an increase to Maximum Life.
- Now cross over and take the Rare node on the opposite side of the board, Tenacity, for the bonus Maximum Life.
- Insert the glyph Territorial, and take the Dexterity nodes shown to get the bonus. This will help us with fighting Close Enemies and Damage Reduction against Close Enemies.
- Inside the glyph radius, we take both Rare Nodes, Raw Power and Iron Strength, for the increase Armor and Physical Damage boost.
- Finally, path towards the connection point at the top of the board and attach our next Paragon Board, Warbringer.
Warbringer (2nd Board)
- Take the pathway to the right and pick up the Rare node Core Reserve, this will increase our Maximum Life and Fury.
- Go back towards the open glyph slot and insert Marshal. This glyph will help us with out Shout Cooldowns.
- Next we will take both Rare Nodes inside the Glyph radius, Raw Power and Conditioned, these nodes will grant us an increase in Physical damage and Resistances.
- Go to the next Rare Node Hungering Fury, for additional bonuses to Fury.
- Head towards the left hand side of the board and attach the next Paragon Board, Carnage.
Carnage (3rd Board)
- Take the pathway towards the glyph slot and insert Ire into the glyph slot. This glyph will boost our damage while Berserking.
- Inside the glyph radius take both Rare Nodes, Brash and Fierce, these Nodes will grant you an increased Berserking Damage and give you an increased Damage Reduction for Close Enemies.
- Now path towards the bottom connection point (for use later) and pick up the Rare node Enraged.
- Next path to the left hand connection point (for use later) and pick both, Berserker and Carnage, these will amplify our Berserking.
- Complete the path upwards to the attachment point and attach the next board, Blood Rage.
Blood Rage (4th Board)
- Head up towards the open glyph slot and pick up Rare Node Enraged, this will increase our Berserking Damage and duration.
- Now take the Legendary node Blood Rage for the chance to gain Berserking if a Bleeding Enemies dies.
- Path to the glyph slot, picking up Grit along the way, and insert Undaunted. This will help us increase our damage while Fortified.
- Now take the other Rare Node inside the glyph radius, Revel. These will help us increase our damage to Bleeding Enemies.
- Now go back to the Carnage board and take the left hand connection point to attach Decimator.
Decimator (5th Board)
- Follow the pathway to the open glyph slot and insert Ambidextrous, this glyph will boost the Rare nodes in the glyph radius and boost your damage with one-handed weapons.
- Now take the two Rare Nodes inside the glyph radius, Arrogance and Demolish, these will will increase your offenses and defenses against Vulnerable Enemies.
- Now that this board is complete, go back to the bottom connection point on the Carnage Paragon Board and attach Weapons Master.
Weapons Master (6th board)
- Select the nodes towards the open glyph slot, and insert Exploit for the increases in damage against Vulnerable Enemies.
- Take the needed Dexterity nodes to boost your damage output.
- Lastly, take both the Rare Nodes, Raw Power and Iron Strength, this will increase our Physical Damage and Armor.
- This completes the Paragon Tree for this build.
Paragon board images courtesy of d4builds.gg.
Build Mechanics and Playstyle
The playstyle for this build is designed for single skill, Frenzy. This skill powers this entire build, generating Fury and accelerating our attacks to maximum potential. We use several different augments while we use Frenzy. Let’s check out the list below for more on each of them:
- Ramaladni’s Magnum Opus – This weapon increases our damage as we stack up Fury, using Frenzy we can stay ahead of the drain and always be gaining damage.
- Fists of Fate – This Unique takes advantage of Frenzy, particularly its Lucky Hit Chance.
- Battle Trance – built to augment Frenzy.
- Vampiric Powers are great for almost every aspect of this build.
We also have a great burst skill in Kick, used to dump excess Fury. Using Power Kick, we can jack the power behind this skill and dump our entire Fury pool in a single massive hit. This is used as part of our rotation, after you fill your Fury bar from Frenzy.
Our entire build is amplified by each one of our Shouts. War Cry and Rallying Cry are our offenses Shouts, used to keep our damage high, put us into a state of Berserking, and increase Movement Speed. Challenging Shout is our singular defensive Shout, saved for situations where you need that added Damage Reduction. These Shouts should all be on an extremely short cooldown due to both Bold Chieftain’s Aspect and Marshal.
While Berserking gives us a base increase of 25% damage and 30% Movement Speed, we also benefit from the passives Aggressive Resistance and Prolific Fury. The goal here is to be in Berserking as much as possible, amplifying the damage dealt while using Frenzy. This shouldn’t be a major issue with War Cry and Wrath of the Berserker, but we also get another source of Berserking from our Kick and Battle Fervor. With all of these options available to you, staying in a state of Berserking should be relatively easy. On top of all of this, we gain an increased boost to Berserking from our unique helm, Tuskhlem of Joritz the Mighty.
Gear Choice and Stat Priority
As you begin to farm in World Tier 3 and 4, Rare and Legendary item drops will begin to appear with some regularity depending on your luck. We recommend saving the targeted Legendary items that have the needed Legendary aspects listed below. We also recommended to keep multiple copies of the build’s Aspects in your Stash for future upgrades.
As for the Rare items, you will need to inspect each one for targeted affixes for use in each specific slot and do your best to match the recommended rolls. We have listed our targeted affixes in order of importance. Check the chart below and make note of what affixes you are searching for when you see a Rare gear piece drop.
Season 2 Update (1.2.0): Critical Strike Damage and Vulnerable Damage affixes are changed to be additive with other damage increases. All additive damage increases of the same amount are equal in value, as long as their conditions are active.
|Gear Slot||Targeted Affixes|
|Helm||Tuskhelm of Joritz the Mighty|
|Chest||1. Damage Reduction while Fortified |
2. Damage Reduction from Close Enemies
3. Damage Reduction
4. Maximum Life
5. Ranks to Rallying Cry
|Gloves||Fists of Fate|
|Pants||1. Damage Reduction while Fortified |
2. Damage Reduction from Close Enemies
3. Damage Reduction
4. Maximum Life
|Boots||1. Movement Speed|
3. Damage Reduction while Injured
4. All Stats
5. Needed Resistance
|Rings||1. Critical Strike Chance|
2. Lucky Hit Chance
3. Critical Strike Damage
4. Maximum Life
5. Max Fury
2. Basic Skill Damage
3. Critical Strike Damage
4. Damage to Close Enemies
5. All Stats
Ramaladni’s Magnum Opus
Please note that these affixes are the recommended picks for this build, but that is simply our opinion. Other affixes could certainly work instead of the ones listed above, but may not be optimal.
- Lucky Hit Chance – this helps our Fists of Fate triggers.
- Damage Reduction – you will be in close range to enemies at all times.
A final point on acquiring the right Affixes and Legendary Aspects, use your Obols to target farm them. Obols are awarded from many different activities in the game, you will always stockpiling them until you hit your maximum. Instead of just randomly spending them on a random pick, use them to target what you might be missing from this build. It is a great way to target a specific slot of loot and find what you need.
If you are interested in checking out a new tool for gambling Obols check out this link below from Icy Veins.Obol Gambling Optimization Tool
Listed below are all the best-in-slot Aspects found on Legendary items that are important for the Double Swing Barbarian build. Aspects from the Codex of Power can be used if you cannot find the proper Legendary drops, but they have weaker effects. Extract Aspects from lower level Legendary items and imprint them onto better Rare items with preferred stats. The endgame itemization goal will be to imprint Aspects with the best values Ancestral Rare items with Item Power above or as close to 800, then upgrade them through the Blacksmith. Each aspect is listed with its matching gear slot. Do your best to keep each aspect in the slot it was posted with.
|Gear Slot||Legendary Aspect||Legendary Aspect Power|
|Helm||Tuskhelm of Joritz the Mighty|
|Chest||Aspect of Might||Basic Skills grant 20% Damage Reduction for [2.0-6.0] seconds.|
|Gloves||Fists of Fate|
|Boots||Ghostwalker Aspect||While Unstoppable and for 4 seconds after, you gain [10- 25%] increased Movement Speed and can move freely through enemies.|
|Amulets (50% bonus)||Battle Trance|
|Ring||Bear Clan Berserker’s Aspect||Killing an enemy while Berserking has a 40% chance to grant [16-32%] increased Cooldown Reduction to your Brawling Skills for 2 seconds.|
|Ring||Bold Chieftain’s Aspect||Whenever you cast a Shout Skill, its Cooldown is reduced by [1.0-1.9] seconds per Nearby enemy, up to a maximum of 6 seconds.|
|Bludgeoning Weapon (200% bonus)||Edgemaster’s Aspect||Skills deal up to [10- 20%] increased damage based on your available Primary Resource when cast, receiving the maximum benefit while you have full Primary Resource.|
|Slashing Weapon (200% bonus)||Rapid Aspect||Basic Skills gain [15 – 30]%[+] Attack Speed.|
|Dual-Wield Weapon 1||Aspect of Berserk Ripping||Whenever you deal direct damage while Berserking, inflict [20-30%] of the Base damage dealt as additional Bleeding damage over 5 seconds.|
|Dual-Wield Weapon 2||Ramaladni’s Magnum Opus|
The chart below is our recommendation for Uber Uniques that will work within this build. However, all Uber uniques are extremely powerful and can shine in different situations. Good Hunting!
|Harlequin Crest||Yes||Tuskhelm of Joritz the Mighty|
|Melted Heart of Selig||No|
|Ring of Starless Skies||No|
|The Grandfather||Yes||Rapid Aspect|
|Ahavarion, Spear of Lycander||No|
Listed below are the best gems to socket into gear for each slot type.
- Weapon: Royal Topaz for the increase to Basic Skill Damage.
- Armor: Royal Ruby for Maximum Life.
- Jewelry: Royal Diamond for All Resistances, however, certain bosses may require you to switch to their corresponding resistances.
Elixirs and Health Pots
Visit the Alchemist in any main town to craft helpful Elixirs that increase stats, and experience gain for 30 minutes. Make sure to forage plants and pick up the necessary crafting materials during your adventures; they randomly spawn around the world. Use an Elixir providing any Resistance you need most, or the Assault Elixir to increase Attack Speed.
Return to the Alchemist again when you reach Level 20, 30, 45, 60, 70, 80 and 90, to upgrade your potion. The extra healing is essential to survival.
- October 30th 2023: Build Creation Season 2.