This is your comprehensive guide for building a death-dealing werewolf, whose every attack is filled with poisons and whose roars trigger an explosive reaction. Welcome to the Roaring Fleshrender build. This poison focused build spreads death to all enemies with Rabies and every strike of Claw, then triggers an explosive blast using Blood Howl and Debilitating Roar. This build is great for trash clearing and speed running through open-world dungeons or nightmare dungeons that match your level.
Our guide will cover all basic mechanics and deep dive into the optimal setup for skills, Paragon points, and gear for the build. Further down below, you will find a supporting YouTube video as well to showcase the build in action.
- Great for clearing trash mobs
- Good clear time for level par Nightmare dungeons
- Strong defensive layers
- Grizzly Rage on short cooldown
- An enemy must be poisoned
- Cooldown management
To see how this build compares to the other builds on our site, you can check out our build tier lists.
This build has several Legendary Aspects that are required before it will function properly. The Legendary Aspects you will need the following at a minimum to make the build work at its most basic level. These Aspects are all non-codex, which means you will need to find them on a Legendary Item then imprint them onto specific gear. We also use two Uniques in this build as shown below, Fleshrender is required and the Mad Wolf’s Glee is an optional chioce.
To even begin this build, we recommend you have these Aspects ready for imprinting at a minimum. For the build it become fully functional, we recommend you have all the Legendary Aspects listed further in this guide for the build to work optimally.
Season of the Malignant
This build was created within the current Season and utilizes the current in-game information and Aspects. We will note any future changes to this build here.
The second major update for Season 1, Patch 1.1.1 released on August 8th 2023, brings some positive changes to Druid. This includes adjustments to Basic Generator Skills, Key Passives, Skill passives, and Legendary Aspects. The changes that directly affect this build are listed below.
The theme for Season 1 introduces a new form of legendary gem called Malignant Hearts. There are three types of hearts that need to be socketed into matching colored sockets on all equipped jewelry and one type of heart that can be placed into any socket. For more information about the Malignant Hearts theme for Season 1 check out our Malignant Hearts guide.
Listed below are the Malignant Hearts that are useful for this build, ranked by importance. Stats displayed reflect what a Level 20 character would receive as a drop. Note that this list is based on our early opinions on the Malignant Hearts, and we will update it as and when it is necessary.
Skill Tree and Skill bar
Follow the points allocated in the image above for the complete 58 point build. The additional 10 skill points are completed using the Renown system.
|Claw Level 5, Enhanced Claw, Fierce Claw||Basic Skill|
|Shred Level 5, Enhanced Shred, Raging Shred, Predatory Instinct Level 3, Digitigrade Gait Level 3||Core Skill|
|Blood Howl Level 1, Enhanced Blood Howl, Preserving Blood Howl, Debilitating Roar Level 5, Enhanced Debilitating Roar, Preserving Debilitating Roar, Ancestral Fortitude Level 1, Vigilance Level 3||Defensive Skill|
|Rabies Level 5, Enhanced Rabies, Natural Rabies, Neurotoxin Level 1, Toxic Claws Level 3, Envenom Level 3||Wrath Skill|
|Grizzly Rage, Prime Grizzly Rage, Supreme Grizzly Rage, Quickshift Level 3, Heightened Senses Level 3||Ultimate Skill|
|Ursine Strength||Key Passives|
Boons – The Druid Specialization
Boons are additional buffs provided to the Druid class as part of their specialization. To unlock your Boons, you will need to complete a simple quest on the west side of the map in the stronghold of “Tur Dulra”. This becomes available at Level 15 and should be completed as soon as possible. The Boon mechanic allows you to pick a single buff from each of the corresponding master animals and the addition of a second Boon buff from a chosen master animal you select.
Once you are in the endgame and have completed the skill tree from the previous section, utilize the following set of Boons for the best results.
|Boon Name||Master Animal||Effect|
|Wariness||Deer||Take 10% reduced damage from Elites|
|Scythe Talons||Eagle||Gain 5% increased Critical Strike chance|
|Bolster||Wolf||Fortify for 15% of your Maximum Life when you use a defensive skill|
|Calamity||Wolf||Extend the duration of Ultimate Skill by 25%|
|Masochistic||Snake||Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes with Shapeshifting skills have a 75% chance to heal you for 3% maximum life|
How the boons benefit the build
We recommend using these Legendary nodes and Rare Glyphs to truly take this build into the endgame. Note that each Rare Glyph’s information listed below is for the Level 21 version.
|Exploit||– For every 5 Dexterity purchased within range, you deal +% increased damage to Vulnerable targets.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 25 Dexterity points are purchased in the glyph’s range: Dealing damage to a Vulnerable enemy increases your damage by x1% for 6 seconds, up to x10%.
|Heightened Malice||– While there are 3 or more poisoned enemies nearby, you deal 45% increased damage.|
|Territorial||– For every 5 Dexterity purchased within range, you deal +% increased damage to Close targets.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 25 Dexterity points are purchased in the glyph’s range: You gain 10% Damage Reduction against Close enemies.
|Fang and Claw||– Grants +% bonus to all Magic nodes within range.|
Additional Bonus unlocked after 40 Willpower points are purchased in the glyph’s range: While in Werewolf or Werebear form, Close enemies take 12%[x] increased damage from you.
|Undaunted||– For every 5 Willpower purchased within range, you deal + [10%] increased damage while Fortified.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 25 Dexterity points are purchased in the glyph’s range: You gain 10% Damage Reduction the more Fortify you have.
|Lust For Carnage||– Critical Strikes with Werewolf Skills restore 2 Spirit.|
|Werewolf||– For every 5 Willpower purchased within range, you deal +[6.5]% increased damage while in Werewolf form.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 40 Willpower points are purchased in the glyph’s range: You gain 10% damage reduction while in Werewolf form.
|Spirit||– For every 5 Dexterity purchased within range, you deal +% increased Critical Strike Damage.|
– Additional Bonus unlocked after 25 Dexterity points are purchased in the glyph’s range: Critical Strikes increase the damage an enemy takes from you by x2% for 20 seconds, up to x12%.
Let’s break down each of these beneficial nodes and where our paragon points are positioned in each of the Paragon Boards we use. This part of the build is presented in order of importance – so if you do not have enough Paragon Points for use in your Paragon Tree, just slowly work towards each step.
- Begin the Starting Board by selecting the nodes on the right hand side of the board towards the Rare Node Prime.
- Collect the Magic Nodes surrounding Prime then continue towards the Glyph location in the center of the Starting Board. This will give us a raw Damage and Life increase.
- Focus on selecting as many Dexterity nodes in the surrounding area highlighted by inserting the Territorial. This Glyph will will increase our offenses and defenses against Close Enemies.
- Select both Rare Nodes inside the Glyph radius, Impel and Resolve. For Resolve, select the Magic Nodes that offer us a Dexterity bonus for use with the Territorial. For Impel, select all the Magic Nodes shown in the image above.
- Finally, head towards the top of the paragon board and attach the Inner Beast.
Inner Beast (2nd Board)
- Head up towards the Glyph slot and insert Werewolf. Target the needed Willpower to complete the bonus for the Damage Reduction while you are in Werewolf form.
- Now take the two Rare Nodes Shapeshifter and Determination, with their corresponding Magic Nodes. These two nodes amplify our damage while shapeshifted and increase our Armor.
- Once again head up the board to the Rare Node Tenacity, and take the Magic Nodes around it. This node increases our Maximum Life.
- Continue the pathway to the top of the board and take the Rare Node Havoc, this will boost our Physical Damage and Critical Strike Damage.
- Now take the attachment point on the right hand side of the board and connect the next Paragon Board, Thunderstruck.
Thunderstruck (3rd Board)
- We start by going straight for the Glyph slot and inserting Fang and Claw.
- Along the pathway pick up the Rare Node Hubris, boosting our Damage Reduction against Vulnerable Enemies.
- Next, head up and outside the glyph radius and take the Rare Node Deluge, take the corresponding Magic Nodes for the increase in Critical Strike Damage.
- Now take the Rare Node Stormcaller on your pathway towards the bottom attachment point.
- Finally, attach the paragon board Heightened Malice to the bottom side of the board.
Heightened Malice (4th Board)
- Head towards the Glyph slot and insert the glyph Exploit, remember to take all the Dexterity nodes needed for the bonus.
- Now take the Rare Nodes inside of the glyph radius, Nature-born and Sinking Fangs. These nodes will boost both our offensive and defensive against poisoned enemies.
- Continue to down and pick the next Rare Node Toxic Bane, this will boost our damage to poisoned enemies.
- Now, continue down the same pathway to the next Rare Nodes Poison Resilience.
- Finally, take the Legendary Node Heightened Malice.
- Now head back to the Inner Beast and take the upper pathway to the connection point, then attach the Paragon Board, Lust for Carnage.
Lust for Carnage (5th Board)
- Head towards the open glyph slot, picking up the Rare Node Ferocity along the way. This will boost our Werewolf and Critical Strike Damage.
- Continue towards the open glyph slot and take the Legendary Node Lust for Carnage.
- At the open glyph slot, insert Undaunted. Take the necessary Intelligence needed for the bonus inside the glyph radius.
- Now head down path towards the right hand side of the paragon board and take the Rare Node Regenerative along the way.
- Now take the attachment point on the right hand side of the board, and attach the next Paragon Board Constricting Tendrils.
Constricting Tendrils (6th Board)
- Head towards the open glyph slot and insert Spirit, this will boost our Critical Strike Damage.
- Be sure to take the Dexterity nodes shown above.
- Inside the glyph radius, take the Rare Node Courage, this node will boost your Maximum Life.
- Now go to the connection point on the bottom side, and you will naturally attach to the Thunderstruck board.
Thunderstruck (7th Board)
- Returning to the Thunderstuck paragon board, we take the top pathway towards the Rare Node.
- Take Tempest and the Magic Nodes around it, this will further boost our Critical Strike Damage.
- This complete the Paragon Tree for this build.
Paragon board images courtesy of d4builds.gg.
Build Mechanics and Playstyle
The playstyle for this build is a brawling style of combat. We will start by activating Grizzly Rage which is going to activate our Caged Heart of Inexorable Force. This will pull all of the surrounding mobs on top of us, allowing us to start poisoning them with Rabies. Once you have used Rabies, continue attacking with your Claw and start to cycle your Roars, Blood Howl and Debilitating Roar.
Both of these Roars are going to trigger the special effect from our Unique weapon Fleshrender. This unique effect triggers an explosion around the player, damaging any Poisoned enemies with the damage value from the weapon. This damage can be a Critical Strike and will benefit from the Critical Strike Damaging stacking buff that we get from our Grizzly Rage and Aspect of the Rampaging Werebeast. This is where the majority of our power to clear out packs of mobs comes from.
The other half of our damage in this build comes from our Shred ability. This is used in combination with Aspect of the Blurred Beast to launch a powerful strike against elites and bosses. This means you will need to continually be stacking Poisons on your enemies to keep up both damage components. This can be challenging to manage at first, but will become easier over time. The second Unique used in this build is Mad Wolf’s Glee, which will boost our Claw and Shred ranks for more power.
Now that you understand the skill rotation and the brawling style of attacking, we will look close at some other elements of the build that you must master.
While this build is very simple to jump in and play, the challenging component comes from being able to keep enemies Poisoned. This is why the build is designed with four primary methods to Poison, listed below:
- Claw – Adding Fierce Claw to this ability lets us Poison with each strike.
- Shred – Adding Raging Shred allows our third strike to Poison an enemy.
- Rabies – this is our best method of spreading our Poisons out to all enemies due to the ability for the Poison to spread naturally with this skill. We also include Natural Rabies, to accelerate that process.
- Toxic Claws – any Critical Strike we make against an enemy will Poison them.
These methods are what will help keep our Poisons stacked on our enemies so we can use our two defensive skills or ‘Roars’ to trigger the AoE from our Unique item: Fleshrender. Overall, this build performs well as long as you keep your poison stacks up – failing to do so and you will see a significant drop off in damage.
Gear Choice and Stat Priority
As you begin to farm in World Tier 3 and 4, Rare and Legendary item drops will begin to appear with some regularity depending on your luck. We recommend saving the targeted Legendary items that have the needed Legendary aspects listed below. We also recommended to keep multiple copies of the build’s Aspects in your Stash for future upgrades.
As for the Rare items, you will need to inspect each one for targeted affixes for use in each specific slot and do your best to match the recommended rolls. We have listed our targeted affixes in order of importance. Check the chart below and make note of what affixes you are searching for when you see a Rare gear piece drop.
|Gear Slot||Targeted Affixes|
|Helm||1. Cooldown Reduction|
2. Basic Attack Speed
3. Maximum Life
5. Total Armor
|Chest||Mad Wolf’s Glee|
1. Damage Reduction
2. Damage Reduction From Close Enemies
3. Damage Reduction from Poisoned Enemies
4. Damage Reduction From Distant Enemies
5. Total Armor
|Gloves||1. Critical Strike Chance|
2. Ranks of Shred
3. Attack Speed
4. Critical Strike Damage with Werewolf Skills
|Pants||1. Damage Reduction |
2. Damage Reduction From Close Enemies
3. Damage Reduction From Poisoned Enemies
4. Damage Reduction While Fortified
5. Maximum Life
|Boots||1. Movement Speed|
2. Damage Reduction While Injured
3. Spirit Reduction cost
4. Total Armor While in Werewolf Form
|Amulet||1. Cooldown Reduction|
2. Spirit Cost Reduction
3. Ranks of Toxic Claws
4. Damage while Shapeshifted
5. Critical Strike Chance Against Injured Enemies
|Rings||1. Vulnerable Damage increases|
2. Critical Strike Chance
3. Critical Strike Damage
4. Critical Strike Damage with Werewolf Skills
5. Maximum Life
|Totem||1. Cooldown Reduction|
2. Critical Strike Chance
3. Spirit Reduction Cost
4. Damage Reduction from Poisoned Enemies
5. Resource Generation
Please note that these affixes are the recommended picks for the Roaring Fleshrender build, but that is simply our opinion. Other affixes could certainly work instead of the ones listed above, but may not be optimal. Also, there are several very specific affixes that are required to make the build work, they are as follows:
- Rank ups for skills
- Cooldown Reduction for Blood Howl, Debilitating Roar and Grizzly Rage
- Spirit Cost Reduction for Shred
A final point on acquiring the right Legendary Aspects, use your Obols to target farm them. Obols are awarded from many different activities in the game, you will always stockpiling them until you hit your maximum. Instead of just randomly spending them on a random pick, use them to target what you might be missing from this build. It is a great way to target a specific slot of loot and find what you need.
If you are interested in checking out a new tool for gambling Obols check out this link below from Icy Veins.Obol Gambling Optimization Tool
Below you will find the optimal setup for Legendary Aspects for the Twisted K-9 build. Each aspect is listed with its matching gear slot. Do your best to keep each aspect in the slot it was posted with.
Listed below are all the best-in-slot Aspects found on Legendary items that are important for the Roaring Fleshrender Druid build. Aspects from the Codex of Power can be used if you cannot find the proper Legendary drops, but they have weaker effects. Extract Aspects from lower level Legendary items and imprint them onto better Rare items with preferred stats. The endgame itemization goal will be to imprint Aspects with the best values Ancestral Rare items with Item Power above or as close to 800, then upgrade them through the Blacksmith.
|Gear Slot||Legendary Aspect||Legendary Aspect Power|
|Helm||Aspect of Might||Basic Skills grant 20% Damage Reduction for [2.0-6.0] seconds.|
|Chest||Mad Wolf’s Glee|
|Gloves||Aspect of Retaliation||Your Core Skills deal up to [20-40%] increased damage based on your amount of Fortify.|
|Pants||Vigorous Aspect||Gain [10.0-15.0%] Damage Reduction while Shapeshifted into a Werewolf.|
|Boots||Aspect of the Dark Howl||Debilitating Roar is now a Werewolf Skill. In addition, Debilitating Roar will Immobilize Poisoned enemies for [2 – 4] seconds.|
|Amulets (50% bonus)||Dire Wolf’s Aspect||Grizzly Rage now shapeshifts you into a Dire Werewolf. As a Dire Werewolf you gain [15-25%] Movement Speed instead of Damage Reduction and a [30-50%] Spirit cost reduction bonus. In addition, kills Heal you for 10% of your Maximum Life.|
|Ring||Aspect of the Rampaging Werebeast||The duration of Grizzly Rage is increased by [1 – 5] seconds. In addition, Critical Strikes while Grizzly Rage is active increase your Critical Strike Damage by 10% for the duration.|
|Ring||Nighthowler’s Aspect||Blood Howl increases Critical Strike Chance by [5.0-10.0%]. In addition, Blood Howl also affects Nearby Companions and Players for 3 seconds.|
|Totem||Aspect of the Blurred Beast||While dashing, Shred seeks nearby poisoned enemies instantly dealing [70-100]% of the poisoning damage to them.|
Listed below are the best gems to socket into gear for each slot type.
- Weapon: Royal Emerald for critical strike damage to Vulnerable enemies.
- Armor: Royal Sapphire for damage reduction while Fortified.
- Jewelry: Hearts
Elixirs and Health Pots
Visit the Alchemist in any main town to craft helpful Elixirs that increase stats, and experience gain for 30 minutes. Make sure to forage plants and pick up the necessary crafting materials during your adventures; they randomly spawn around the world. Use an Elixir providing any Resistance you need most, or the Assault Elixir to increase Attack Speed.
Return to the Alchemist again when you reach Level 20, 30, 45, 60, 70, 80 and 90, to upgrade your potion. The extra healing is essential to survival.
- August 28th 2023, Build creation for Season 1