FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Thurgus

pillar of frost macro'd

Hey all i had a question i have macro'd Pillar o frost to howling blast so I'd never forget to use it but I'm wondering if it effects HBs damage and if I may be better using it only when in melee, any thoughts. Thanks in avance.

There is no negative effect of doing it that way (possible case can be made for a loss of dps if you don't time it with raise dead), at least you won't forget to use it, however the best use of it is to macro it to raise dead and army so that timmy (and company) get the maximum effect from it. The drawback it that you need to remember to summon him/them. The macro is located in the DK guide.

Indeed, as Liplock said, you can do this. I personally prefer to retain control over the timing of Pillar of Frost/DPS cooldowns, so while macroing them together is fine, macroing it into an often-used ability is something I personally wouldn't do - although of course you are free to try :)

One big problem with this approach is there's going to be times where you'll waste Pillar of Frost's effects, e.g. there are some boss phases where you're going to be very mobile and outside melee range but will still be firing off some Howling Blasts to at least do *some* damage. In such cases it can be a much bigger DPS gain to use Pillar once that phase is over and you're back using your full range of abilities.

Better to get used to keeping an eye on Pillar of Frost's cooldown and macro'ing it in with Raise Dead and any other items that will give an instantaneous boost to strength (trinkets, potions, etc.). There's many addons around that can help bring your attention to the fact that Pillar is off cooldown so do make use of those too.

• Like 1