FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Joschmo

Explosive Trap Single Target TIps

I am just now trying to switch to the FS SV spec.  Pre-xpac I thought I would hate the new MM but honestly I really love how fluid that spec is.  However, it's very obvious that FS SV just flat outperforms MM on mostly every fight.  I am the player that always wants to optimize my character but I am having a few issues I feel maximizing my SV play.

First issue I feel I am having is I focus cap too much.  It's pretty apparent when you play SV that FS is by far the best way to play.  You spend so much focus so quickly the big burst regen is what you need to smooth out that rotation, kinda like fervor in a way but sub the CD for a cast time. I think the main thing here is I just need to practice FS and get the flow of it down more.  I know also that sometimes I will cap during LnL and there isn't really a whole lot I can do other than spam those ES.

The second issue I'm having is being focus starved to where I can not use ES and BA off CD.  The first issue and this issue I feel kind of go hand in hand due to the focus bar just being full...then completely starved in 2-3 globals. 

I know that using Explosive Trap for single target is even a small dps increase, but I feel like it will also help me smooth out my rotation and help with these 2 issues I am having, since it costs no focus with pretty decent damage. With that being said, what are the general rules of thumb to using Explosive Trap even in the single target rotation?  or even rule of thumb for casting FS?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/NDGJq7RcxT8y9QM6#type=summary&fight=1

These are my latest logs.  I've tried to log every boss I have killed so far on my hunter.  I'm ready to start seeing my name back in the 95% + more often and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, casting Explosive Trap on single target on cooldown as lowest priority is a DPS increase. 

Yes, you can and should use Explosive Trap to plug holes in your rotation, where doing anything else would lead to overcapping or delaying high priority abilities. 

As a rule of a thumb, you need to be <40 focus before casting Focusing Shot to not overcap (10 focus is passively generated while you perform the cast). 

Examples of ideal situations to cast ET:

1. When you're at 40-55 focus, and Black Arrow has 1 second cooldown left. 

If you cast Focusing Shot, you will overcap and delay BA by 1+ seconds. 

If you cast Arcane Shot to dump focus before casting Focusing Shot, you will delay BA by 2+ seconds. 

2. If BA has 1 second cooldown left, and you're slightly below 35 focus. 

If you cast Focusing Shot, you will delay BA by 1+ seconds.

So cast ET, let focus regen naturally, and cast BA exactly on cooldown. 

Same goes for Explosive Shot when you're slightly below 15 focus. 

Neither of this is critical, but if you can avoid it - why not? And you'll gain DPS for using abilities optimally, and from the ET itself. 

Edited by Iridar
  • Like 2

What made it easier to learn how to plug it in for me was if your casting FS or channeling a Barrage, Hit ET (with trap launcher of course), and hover it over your destination. Hit it when your cast or channel is finished. If trap launch is engaged, and you hit ET, only actually firing your trap will stop a cast. Kind of like queuing spells for a caster.

• Like 1

The second issue I'm having is being focus starved to where I can not use ES and BA off CD.  The first issue and this issue I feel kind of go hand in hand due to the focus bar just being full...then completely starved in 2-3 globals. 

I was the same way when I first started rolling SV. I'm a very spammy player, and I spammed AS a lot more than I probably should have. I've toned down my fingers on AS and I have a more smoother supply of Focus for everything when they come off CD. Once you get FS down, it seems a lot easier to maintain focus over LW if you have a tendancy to spam shots. I had a really hard time going SV with LW the first few raids because I just hit too many buttons too often.

Thanks guys.  Practiced the ET thing in an LFR last night and I felt like I was doing a much better job keeping ET and BA on CD.  I've always been a player that tries to optimize my play to the highest lvl I can and this really helps me out.  

• Like 1