FORUMS
zenfoldor

Optimal Second Potion Usage Per Boss in BRF

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I was searching this morning through numerous compendiums trying to discover a centralized suggestion/location/phase/time for hunters to use their second potion on each Heroic boss in BRM.

I'll go through where I'm using mine now and perhaps we can get some opinions or a link to a consensus would help me out greatly.

Generally I always try to use my second potion during the phase that improves my DPS the most. There are exceptions to this, but I'll list where I currently use these potions.

Gruul - I attempt to use my second potion on Gruul on the closest BW just before or during the execute phase.

BeastLord - I have always went blink strikes on this encounter, so I tend to use the second potion early, during the second or third BW.

Oregorger - I've(perhaps not optimally) went stampede on my limited kills of Oregorger and during those kills I'd like to pop my 2nd potion on the second stampede. That said, our guild takes more than 5:45 minutes to kill Oregorger, so this may not hold true for everyone.

Hans & Franz - On this encounter I use the second potion re-actively during the execute phase and when both bosses are target-able.

Flamebender - I use this classically, during the second stampede, but like Oregorger, I'm not entirely sure each and every guild would have a full second stampede on this encounter.

Kromog - This one is difficult. I've never beaten Kromog, but we've attempted him many times(20 would be a guess, healing issues) and I would say that there are two feasible times to pop this. The best place for dps would(I assume) be during one of the large aoe phases with the hands(where our hunters are able to track up extraneous dps quickly). However, since the enrage phase is basically a burn phase I feel that during progression the 2nd pot might be saved until the second stampede.

This is where my progression ends and these are just my guesses. Please chime in with corrections and opinions. Thanks for reading.

Edited by zenfoldor

That's pretty close to what I aim for with my second pot with the exception of Beastlord. I aim to use it after all the beasts are dead and it's just him we are burning. I try to get it lined up with a BW and use my second Stampede at the same time.

Just my thoughts from the top of my head:

• Gruul (for BM) - Whenever you get 5 stacks of Frenzy + BW is off cd, otherwise, 3+ Frenzy + BW + execute (boss hp<20%).
  • Gruul (for MM) - 2nd/3rd Rapid Fire, depending on how long your team takes to kill him.  If you get a 3rd full RF in execute, use your 2nd potion there.
  • Oregorger (for any) - pretty much the same as Gruul, but make sure that he's not in a roll phase.
  • Beastlord (for BM) - 2nd Stampede, try to have Frenzy + BW up for this, otherwise just pop whatever frenzy stacks you have along with Stampede + potion.  A third option is use it with Hero + BW + FF (depending on kill speed (and when you hero) you can save stampede for here for massive burst).
  • Thogar - Either try to line up Stampede + 5 stacks of Frenzy + BW with your 2nd potion or use it when there's a lot of adds + BW + Frenzy (depending on kill speed, if you can't get a second Stampede, use the 2nd option).
  • Hans&Franz (For any) - Same as Gruul, but try to make sure that both are available to hit, but don't fret too much about this.
  • Flamebender - Same as Gruul.
  • Kromog - If you save hero for 30% frenzy, use it here along with BW + FF (same as beastlord, depending on kill times you might be able to use stampede here as well).  Otherwise, see Gruul.
  • Iron Maidens - Save the potion for the 20% hero where you want/need to burn them ASAP.
  • Blast Furnace - Use the second potion for the p3 hero (try to save BW + FF for this as well).
  • Blackhand - Same as BF, save it for p3.

Gruul second potion as BM should be during execute + second Stampede + 5 stack Frenzy and BW if you get lucky.

Combine as much as possible:

• Focus Fire (5 stacks)
  • Kill Shot phase
  • Stampede
  • Bloodlust 
  • Bestial Wrath
  • Trinket Procs
  • AoE
  • Take mechanics into account (invulnerabilities, increased/reduced damage taken, high movement, etc.)

Ideally, you want all of it. Ideal is rarely possible, so just try to combine as many of them as you can.

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I was searching this morning through numerous compendiums trying to discover a centralized suggestion/location/phase/time for hunters to use their second potion on each Heroic boss in BRM.

I'll go through where I'm using mine now and perhaps we can get some opinions or a link to a consensus would help me out greatly.

Generally I always try to use my second potion during the phase that improves my DPS the most. There are exceptions to this, but I'll list where I currently use these potions.

Gruul - I attempt to use my second potion on Gruul on the closest BW just before or during the execute phase.

BeastLord - I have always went blink strikes on this encounter, so I tend to use the second potion early, during the second or third BW.

Oregorger - I've(perhaps not optimally) went stampede on my limited kills of Oregorger and during those kills I'd like to pop my 2nd potion on the second stampede. That said, our guild takes more than 5:45 minutes to kill Oregorger, so this may not hold true for everyone.

Hans & Franz - On this encounter I use the second potion re-actively during the execute phase and when both bosses are target-able.

Flamebender - I use this classically, during the second stampede, but like Oregorger, I'm not entirely sure each and every guild would have a full second stampede on this encounter.

Kromog - This one is difficult. I've never beaten Kromog, but we've attempted him many times(20 would be a guess, healing issues) and I would say that there are two feasible times to pop this. The best place for dps would(I assume) be during one of the large aoe phases with the hands(where our hunters are able to track up extraneous dps quickly). However, since the enrage phase is basically a burn phase I feel that during progression the 2nd pot might be saved until the second stampede.

This is where my progression ends and these are just my guesses. Please chime in with corrections and opinions. Thanks for reading.

Gruul: Nah. You forget Stampede. Thus far the only guild who's had a Gruul Mythic killtime fast enough to not have a second Stampede is my own. Which sucks btw :/ http://i.imgur.com/wXpef9I.png

Beastlord Darmac: Blink Strikes is pure DPS-whoring and holding back your raid, which is important to this point since you again wanna pot with your second Stampede which you put on Faultline with 5 FF stacks etc.

Oregorger: Second Stampede again.

Hans&Franz: How about when Bloodlust is popped? Or when you get a second Stampede when the fight is not that quick?

Flamebender: Yes, second Stampede if possible OR on a wolf phase with Bw and 5 stacks.

Kromog: On Stone Pillars unless you somehow have 0 problems with it, otherwise second Stampede sub-30%.

Iron Maidens: When Marak goes sub-20% and you pop Stampede, with 5 stacks. Delay the Stampede and pot till turret spawns.

Blackhand: Phase 3 DPS burn.

Gruul: Nah. You forget Stampede. Thus far the only guild who's had a Gruul Mythic killtime fast enough to not have a second Stampede is my own. Which sucks btw :/ http://i.imgur.com/wXpef9I.png

Beastlord Darmac: Blink Strikes is pure DPS-whoring and holding back your raid, which is important to this point since you again wanna pot with your second Stampede which you put on Faultline with 5 FF stacks etc.

Oregorger: Second Stampede again.

Hans&Franz: How about when Bloodlust is popped? Or when you get a second Stampede when the fight is not that quick?

Flamebender: Yes, second Stampede if possible OR on a wolf phase with Bw and 5 stacks.

Kromog: On Stone Pillars unless you somehow have 0 problems with it, otherwise second Stampede sub-30%.

Iron Maidens: When Marak goes sub-20% and you pop Stampede, with 5 stacks. Delay the Stampede and pot till turret spawns.

Blackhand: Phase 3 DPS burn.

Excellent, just the info I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who posted this thread. This is great information. I was performing much better last night after making some tweaks simply to second potion usage.

Also, one major thing I have been doing wrong is focus starving myself a little too much in AoE rotation. I draw BM parallels to a certain point to a Ret pally using Avenging Wrath. Basically there is a "home" spell you jump back to after each KC/multishot, ie: 2 cobras instead of hammer of wrath.

During BM my home spell is 2 cobra shots. The end result is the same as the guides general rotation. So KC, arcane, cobra, cobra, KC, or MS/cobra/cobra/MS(until there is enough excess focus to start barrage right after a MS). Hard to describe, sorry if that doesn't make sense, but it just helped me always get these CD's off on(or very near in the case of barrage) cooldown, without capping focus.

If I see I may cap focus I would add extra arcane shot(s) before I start casting cobra. It helps me plan to always have enough focus to cast barrage so it doesn't delay KC.

Also another big thing that helped me is that opener. I've been focusing a lot more on steady shot up-time with the above mentioned understanding and it has helped my dps quite a bit in my bracket.

Edited by zenfoldor