FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Backlashe

Ideal opening for single target and multi-target.

Hi all,

I have seen many different schools of thought when it comes to openings for boomkins and was wondering if anyone has come to a definitive concensus on which is the best. Right now this is what I use:

-4 seconds until pull: Incarnation+int pot
-3 seconds until pull: Pre-Cast Starfire
Boss pull - CA+moonfire

1 second after boss pull: Starsurge

After this I just do starfire, starfire, starsurge and repeat until CA is about to end then cast a moonfire and go back to a normal rotation.

Any other ideas?

Lately I've switched to Incarnation at 2~ > Pot + Starsurge at 0.75~ > CA+Moonfire. It gives longer uptime on potion and Inc, and better use of my 2x10s trinket procs.

Do like Archieie says, but throw in a Wrath before the Starsurge as well. It requires you to be at least 35 yards (40 is max range) away from the boss (or the projectiles will hit too early).

-4.5: Incarnation

-3.0: Wrath+Prepot

-1.0: Starsurge

0.0: Moonfire+CA

Make sure your global cooldown has reset before 0:00 or you won't be able to cast Moonfire+CA directly on pull (casting Starsurge 0.75 sec before pull is too late)

I have a recording of an opener on Flamebender if you're interested

Edited by Shedim

The opener stays the same for multitarget btw, except you start dotting up additional targets as well as casting Starfall after pull instead of spamming Starfire/Starsurge. 

Damn.. I've totaly forgotten about travel time of projectile... So if I stay at 35-40 yd range, how long does it take for projectile to fly towards boss?

Plus the way I've been doing this thing must have been wrong...

(each line will be GCD)

-1.5 I've used Inc + Prepot

Starsurge

Berserk + any usable trinket + CA + Moonfire

Starfire / Starsurge rotation.

So I guess I should practise on fitting in wrath cast before starsurge?

I dunno about the wrath. Might be worth, but you need to be careful about your distance from the boss. That's why I said 0.75. Obviously you'd want to cast Incarnation and starsurge/wrath in such time that you can CA + Moonfire at 0, but bosses like Gruul make that really hard. I personally don't think a wrath in the start would matter that much, and CA-ing at 0 or 0.25s later would only matter in a world where you have perfect amount of haste for the trinkets. You should try both, see which one suits you better, but be careful not to ninjapull the boss :)

Hi Backlashe,

your opener is correct. Its a basic opener. Nothing wrong. You can improve it by doing what Archieie wrote and/or to further improve what Shedim wrote.

• Like 1

Hi Backlashe, if I remember correct, the travel time of Wrath is 20 yards/sec and the travel time of Starsurge is 26 yards/sec. If you cast a Wrath followed by a Starsurge right after, both projectiles will fire at the same time, meaning that Starsurge will always hit first no matter what. You need to be roughly 34+ yards away from the boss in order for your global cooldown to reset before the Starsurge hits the boss. Optimally you want to be at maximum range (40 yards), as this makes thing easier. 

Inferno Slice on Gruul has indefinite range, you can easily stand at max range and still soak it. Whenever you get a free GCD (Starsurge, Moonfire, Sunfire) you spend that second to make a step closer to the boss, eventually ending up in the Healing Rain / Mushroom / Holy Prism range by the time you need the heals. There is currently no boss (neither in Highmaul or Blackrock Foundry) that prevents you from standing at max range on pull. 

Fyi wanna share this knowledge I made yesterday while doing Oregorger mythic.

Did ofc the following opener INC->pot->Starsurge->CA/Moonfire->ShardsofNothing/Berserking/Starfire->Starfire->etc.

But i didnt reapply the Moonfire/Sunfire-Dot a sec before CA buff faded. I kept casting Starfire/Starsurge.

I did refresh Moonfire shortly before Lunar ended and Sunfire did exactly faded from boss as I moved into Suneclipse where i immediately reappied Sunfire and then continued with Wraths.

This had worked very well and gave a lil DPS push.

(thanks to you Shedim)

Edited by Bonita

Yes, excellent observation :) I'm not sure how big of a gain it is, but sometimes I don't reapply my dots at the end of Celestial Alignment (Only with Euphoria!), because you can manage to refresh Sunfire before it falls off anyways. If it means you can fit in another Starsurge or Starfire in the CA window I would do this, if you can't I think it's better to reapply the dots. 

Do like Archieie says, but throw in a Wrath before the Starsurge as well. It requires you to be at least 35 yards (40 is max range) away from the boss (or the projectiles will hit too early).

-4.5: Incarnation

-3.0: Wrath+Prepot

-1.0: Starsurge

0.0: Moonfire+CA

Make sure your global cooldown has reset before 0:00 or you won't be able to cast Moonfire+CA directly on pull (casting Starsurge 0.75 sec before pull is too late)

I have a recording of an opener on Flamebender if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFwH15qPpI

Any chance you can share your UI/WA? its beautiful