FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
falagar

Another ret paly looking for help

Hi, looking for DPS help.

I'm fairly new to Ret, I usually heal, but have to DPS a lot lately. I try to follow IcyVeins tips on stats and rotation, but I feel like I should be putting out more DPS for my ilvl.

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuluhed/Xerfalin/advanced

Log: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/134b4043-57f4-407b-8103-2812e4e50e58/report/2#v=0,d=0,c=5

Gruul should be pretty straight-forward single-target DPS. AskMrRobot says I am 25% percentile for 679 ret pallies. That seems a bit low, not looking to be 90%, but I'd like to crack 50%.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Or does only having a 670 weapon and no set bonus hurt me this much?

Appreciate any tips.

Thanks!

From what i can read in the logs (AMR logs arent' that good compared to warcraft logs), you have good CD usage (used AW 3 times and Execution Sentence 5 times)

I think your problem lies in Holy power generator usage, you only used Crusader strike 40 times (without any haste you could've used 55), same with Judgement, 30 uses where you could've used 41 without counting haste. If you had used them on CD you would have had more final verdict and more Divine Crusader procs. You should never delay holy power generator spells unless you're at max Holy power (5), don't use final verdict with 3 Holy power if you have a holy power generator off CD, pool it to 5 instead and then use Final Verdict. Other than that i can't tell anything wrong about your rotation from the AMR log.

Thanks!

That definitely gives me something to work with. I'm probably missing a few CDs on Gruul because of Petrify, but I agree it shouldn't be so many, and I am probably not as diligent as I should be with these CDs.

I'll try to get a new log from warcraftlogs this week, and link it as well.

You can check out my log. If you take a look at my armory, things will be a bit different now after the ILVL boost. Since the fight, I changed helm (same ilvl though), upgraded from 670 wep to 675 and swapped boots (same ilvl). and the rest of my BRF items got 5 ilvl upgrade. My point is: When I did this fight, I had pretty much the same items as you did. I did have 682 ILVL total, same trinkets, and 670 wep from imperator. Only big difference was: I had the 2 set bonus. Anyway, here is my link to my gruul fight. I hope it helps! 

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/f896382f-ce4d-42aa-bd1f-7e6b5b86f660/report/98#v=0,d=0,c=23

- The biggest difference is of couse the 2 set bonus. You can see I pretty much have the same rotation, but I'm able to use Hammer of Wrath a bit more. Second difference is that I have way more mastery than you (about 10 % more). We actually have the same talents (although I used Light's Hammer instead of Execution sentance. That was because I forgot to swap before the fight).

I think you're doing a good job single target. If you feel like you're not doing good enough on multi target bosses, My tips are:
1: spend Divine Storm after using Final Verdict (to get the 100 % dmg increase)
2: Use Light's Hammer talent (it heals a lot, and does way more dmg in these fights)
3: Swap glyph to Glyph of Mass Exorcism. I usually have HoS glyph, and Glyph of Templars Verdict. Then I swap between Mass Exorcism and Judgement glyph. 
4: Swap Sanctified Wrath to Divine Purpose.

Edited by 2pac

Thanks for taking the time to post!

I do have the 2-piece bonus now, and I think things should be going a bit more smoothly now.

And I should try for more mastery I guess.

I healed tonight, but had a really good ret paly in the raid. http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/combatlog/ee8b9317-8b36-46bb-af09-59f09bd9eeb0/report/37#v=0,d=0,c=3. I guess 4-piece and a 685 weapon does make a difference...

Thanks again for replying.

Edited by falagar

Hey I know this post is old-ish but just wanted to put in my own input

but yeah I'd say it's more of a stat thing than a rotation (it's easy for RPals). That Mastery should be way higher! I'd say get to at least 50% (not buffed) and then work on the other stuff. Start replacing all that Multi-strike & Versatility gear (Ring, Waist, & maybe Legs) with with Mastery! And try to aim for 30% haste and then go into Crit=Multi>Vers 

:) just my opinion. These other players seem more legit though