FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Astrovar

BM Cry For Help

so recently my raid leader has been on my ass about my DPS and I'm unsure what the problem is. Whether it's my cooldown usage, rotation, or gear setup. I've optimized my gear w/ ask mr robot; but i've noticed at times it has me reforge certain pieces and if i come back 24 hrs later and click optimize again it gives me a different setup.

I've attached links to my logs from last night's Garalon attempts where I was at the bottom of the barrel - I was following our dps mark, so I was receiving the dmg increase buff at the same time as the rest of the raid. yet was still doing sub-par dps.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-cs2kq5nck2x9jjbd/ -worldoflogs

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dark-iron/Astrovar/simple -armory

I'm pretty sure I'm just 'doing it wrong' and failing miserably at my dps role - but I'm looking for suggestions. Maybe i'm over-analyzing the "rotation" aspect or something.

if you have any questions for me to help you analyze this better - please feel free to ask/msg me.

Thanks for your help in advance fellow hunters!

so recently my raid leader has been on my ass about my DPS and I'm unsure what the problem is. Whether it's my cooldown usage, rotation, or gear setup. I've optimized my gear w/ ask mr robot; but i've noticed at times it has me reforge certain pieces and if i come back 24 hrs later and click optimize again it gives me a different setup.

I've attached links to my logs from last night's Garalon attempts where I was at the bottom of the barrel - I was following our dps mark, so I was receiving the dmg increase buff at the same time as the rest of the raid. yet was still doing sub-par dps.

http://www.worldoflo...2kq5nck2x9jjbd/ -worldoflogs

http://us.battle.net...Astrovar/simple -armory

I'm pretty sure I'm just 'doing it wrong' and failing miserably at my dps role - but I'm looking for suggestions. Maybe i'm over-analyzing the "rotation" aspect or something.

if you have any questions for me to help you analyze this better - please feel free to ask/msg me.

Thanks for your help in advance fellow hunters!

Hey there!

So, here's what I've got so far for you.

1) Your weapon is bad. I know you know that, but it's really bad. The DPS who beat you there are all using better weapons. If you got yourself even an LFR bow, you'd be seeing a noticeable increase.

2) Your Serpent Sting uptime isn't very good at all. I don't know if this is because you figure it's not worth the cast on a leg, because it will die so quickly (I haven't done it in 10-man so I don't really know how long they live for there), but there should still be something for you to keep it up on. Either Garalon, or the leg (or maybe even both). Maybe your log is broken or I'm blind, but I see no use of Serpent Sting on your Ta'yak kill, at all? Surely that's not right. But if it is, moar Serpent Sting, now!

3) Comparing you to other hunters on the same fights, you seem to be putting out fewer Kill Commands than they are. It's your top priority move, so always make sure you're not delaying it (either for insufficient Focus, or because you're channeling Cobra Shots, or because you're just forgetting to use it).

4) I believe you may see better DPS numbers (not by very much, though, I'm afraid) by using A Murder of Crows instead of Lynx Rush.

5) You seem to have very few uses of Rapid Fire. Are you sure you're maximising the use of this cooldown, and of Readiness in general?

That's it for now! Let me know!

• Like 1

Hey there!

So, here's what I've got so far for you.

1) Your weapon is bad. I know you know that, but it's really bad. The DPS who beat you there are all using better weapons. If you got yourself even an LFR bow, you'd be seeing a noticeable increase.

2) Your Serpent Sting uptime isn't very good at all. I don't know if this is because you figure it's not worth the cast on a leg, because it will die so quickly (I haven't done it in 10-man so I don't really know how long they live for there), but there should still be something for you to keep it up on. Either Garalon, or the leg (or maybe even both). Maybe your log is broken or I'm blind, but I see no use of Serpent Sting on your Ta'yak kill, at all? Surely that's not right. But if it is, moar Serpent Sting, now!

3) Comparing you to other hunters on the same fights, you seem to be putting out fewer Kill Commands than they are. It's your top priority move, so always make sure you're not delaying it (either for insufficient Focus, or because you're channeling Cobra Shots, or because you're just forgetting to use it).

4) I believe you may see better DPS numbers (not by very much, though, I'm afraid) by using A Murder of Crows instead of Lynx Rush.

5) You seem to have very few uses of Rapid Fire. Are you sure you're maximising the use of this cooldown, and of Readiness in general?

That's it for now! Let me know!

1) totally aware at how bad it is - I run Gate of the Setting Sun daily as well as LFR weekly in attempts at getting 1 of the 2 bows - with no luck; I feel like everybody on the server has it but me! :'(

2) you nailed my theory - I would leave SS up on Garalon instead of the leg as I'd switch back before the timer wore off. I SHOULD use it more - I'm being BAD.

3) I'm not very good at reading logs; so maybe that's why I'm unable to find these improvements myself. But after this comment I'm contemplating making a macro for KC that makes it PRIORITY and stopcast on everything else in order for me to squeeze more in there. With 5.1 updates there isn't a way to stopcast on Cobra Shots w/o doing something to that length (unless i'm missing something).

4) I'm a Lynx Rush fanboy :P

5) Here's the thing - I'm not sure of the best time(s) to use my cooldowns on the Garalon fight - as you're dps'ing legs that are constantly dying SS would fall off and have to be re-applied as switching legs mid rotation (am I wrong?) - you'll notice on the last fight I blew all my CDs at the get go and it put me as #2 for the beginning of the fight - but my #'s considerably dropped once ~3 legs were dropped.

Thanks for not ripping me apart like others have on other boards - you actually provided help instead of trolling my post w/ "baddie" lol

You're more than welcome!

Regarding Serpent Sting, it probably won't make that big of a difference in the end, but it's the little things that add up. Looking at other Hunters of similar gear levels, they got about 1 million worth of damage out of Serpent Sting, with an 80%+ uptime.

For Kill Command, yes, you could absolutely make a macro like that. Just be aware of trying to hit Kill Command while you're casting a Cobra Shot that you actually NEED the focus from to be able to hit Kill Command in the first place. That could get annoying :)

Lynx Rush vs AMoC shouldn't make a big difference, but even if you're a fan, you could try it out and see what the difference actually is!

About cooldown usage, I get what you're saying. However, when in doubt, just use them anyway. No matter how badly you time them, you will still get more bang for your buck out of using them than out of not using them at all.

At the pull is a good time for the initial CD usage, sure. Make sure it's on a leg, and that you're in that leg's Weak Point area. Next usage should be... whenever they come up again AND a leg just came up. You shouldn't have to wait for more than 10-20 seconds to get a new leg up after your long cooldowns became available again. For this one, or the following set of cooldowns after that, you should also use your DPS potion (obviously, pre-pot if you aren't).

And, needless to say, make sure that you're using your short cooldowns often. Glaive Toss, Lynx Rush, Bestial Wrath etc, all the time (delay a few seconds to line up with a Leg being up if possible).

Let me know if there's anything more, and keep us updated on your progress.

• Like 1

Thanks again Vlad - again very helpful!

I pre-potted on a few of the attempts - but only had 20 pots the whole night - and you saw how many attempts we had ;) lol

I will definitely keep you posted on next week's progress - I should be running a few LFRs today - I'll parse them and see what happens (even though I've already donge Garalon LFR). I think I may also install the JS' hunter addons and see if they help me out w/ CDs and Focus management at all - worth a shot, right?

Now to head home from work to see if I can get the Bow from Gate of the Setting Sun - Wish me luck!

Thanks again Vlad - again very helpful!

I pre-potted on a few of the attempts - but only had 20 pots the whole night - and you saw how many attempts we had Posted Image lol

I will definitely keep you posted on next week's progress - I should be running a few LFRs today - I'll parse them and see what happens (even though I've already donge Garalon LFR). I think I may also install the JS' hunter addons and see if they help me out w/ CDs and Focus management at all - worth a shot, right?

Now to head home from work to see if I can get the Bow from Gate of the Setting Sun - Wish me luck!

Good luck, though you probably have a better chance of accidentally killing Sha of Fear heroic than getting that bow.

As for JS addons, yes, I think they are excellent - but on your first raid night, it might take a bit of getting used to them, so don't expect miracles :)

• Like 1