FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Aposter

Emperor Thaurissan in combo druid

I think I must be mad.

Everyone swears by this card.  I've tagged him in instead of my regular 6 mana card (piloted sky golem).  But sometimes, quite regularly, I wish I still had the golem.  

If I play him on curve at 6 mana, I typically haven't played an ancient yet.  At best, I've pulled a bonus card from azure drake or maybe wrath, but mostly I just have standard draw.  Plus, I've usually mulliganed the combo for a better early game, so the cards that would really benefit from thaurissan often aren't in my hand when I play him.

I get that the best case for this card is insane value,early combos and bigger plays.  But it usually works out for me as a 5-5 soft taunt with one mana off a few cards in exchange for weaker board control.  

Maybe I'm playing him wrong?  Convince me, please :)

Ok, so I've been doing a bit of reading (when I should be working) and it looks like far more people run nourish than I expected.

I hate that card. I use druid to get an early ramp then just play good minions till I win. The combo is just a bonus. This is probably why thaurissan seems kinda meh to me.

But am I wrong? I do understand how nourish into thaurissan might be quite cool, but its a lot of tempo to give up.

The two most powerful used of Thaurissan are to Innervate it out early, which is extremely unlikely to be killed, leaving you with another consistent Wild Growth effect on the board, or to play it when you have Combo pieces in your hand, which discounts the Combo and lets you draw into further pieces to extend the damage beyond the usual 14.

Thanks for the response dude.

In the spirit of "don't knock it till you try it" I have been running the emperor for the last week in what is mostly a standard combo druid (exception: running druid of the flames instead of shades which I believe improves aggro matchups while still decent against control).

I've got a 70% win rate on that deck right now, so I guess I was wrong.