FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
LiliumAtratum

Hitting hard wall at ranks 15-13

Somehow I have problems playing this game and, at times, it makes me rage over it.

I am currently equipped with a Sottle's Priest deck (https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/legendary-priest-control-gvg-deck). Still I get beaten left and right when at rank 13. I just got demoted down to 15 again...

I think it is not the problem of the deck, but of my actual gameplay. I have been playing Hearthstone nearly from the beginning; my logical thinking is not bad either... I think smile.png ...

There is apparently something "obvious" I am missing, and can't find it.

So, at this point I think I could use some help - not sure however on the form and how to get it...

The problem is likely not the deck, and it may not even be your game play. With an ever-changing meta, moving up the ladder requires some adjustment to counter the other decks you're seeing. If your Priest deck is losing to the same few decks that are common around rank 13, perhaps you could add some tech cards that are good against those decks. Or perhaps you could try another deck that fares better against your most common opponents. The meta will continue to shift as you progress, so switching your deck may only be temporary. You may find the Priest deck more competitive at a higher rank. Or maybe you only need to wait a few days and the Priest deck will suddenly fare better against the evolving Rank 13 meta.

Having said that, there may be certain weaknesses in your play that you could seek to improve. Try to keep track of key plays in each game that lead to victory or defeat, and try to learn from them and apply what you learn to future games. This is something I need to improve on myself. Too often I play game after game without analyzing what I'm seeing or why I'm losing/winning. It takes some effort, but I think it's necessary to compete at a high level.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say, I know what you mean.  Some days I do better than others.  By that I mean the game helps me out by giving me favorable starting hands or hurts me by giving my opponent the seemingly perfect start to counter my deck.  This game is sometimes luck but there are also some games that do come down to skill and knowing when to play certain cards.  Then again, there is a reason to people saying it takes playing hundreds of games to reach legend with a really good deck.  I also agree with Darb on the consideration of changing a few cards that you are not finding useful with some you wished you would draw to help you win.

First of all, trying to climb with only one deck makes little sense. On different stages of ladder there are different deck in common. You obviously can;t cover entire meta with 1 deck, sometimes you have to meet a bad match-up. Even decks that are considered the best in competition have their own hard counters. If you at some point start meeting bad match-ups more often you should switch your deck. Trying to break the wall of bad match-ups is pointless. Climbing requires you to have different decks of different styles (some kind of aggro, some kind of control etc.), or you are for sure going to be stuck at some rank. Every player does meet a wall at some point and that's the moment when feeling the meta and choosing the deck and techs like Kezan Mystic or Mind Control Tech are essential.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

Thank you all with the hints!

I didn't expect that dominant deck styles vary that much between the ranks.

I will try switching decks depending on what dominant strategies I see.