FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Iridar

[Disc] Thoughts on Divine Aegis?

Ever since Divine Aegis rework back in cata, the spec felt kinda dead to me, and the issue lies right within Divine Aegis. 

Previously it was "if your heal crits, you place a shield on the target, equal to 30% of the healed value". So in that regard Disc crits were supercharged, as not only you would heal for more, but also place a shield on top of that. And instead of 200% your crits were 200% + 200% * 0.3 = 266%.

But now it feels like critting is pointless. At the very best, you effectively heal the same amount of damage as you would without Divine Aegis, but with the big "if" - target actually receives damage. 

If I had a choice I would just disable Divine Aegis altogether, since I would heal more without it. That's how it feels. But I haven't actually spent a lot of time on the priest after the rework. So I'm curious what people who actually play the spec think.

Hi, 

I play the spec, but only for the about two months, that I am playing the game now, so there might be misconceptions in here.

1) Critting might seem bad if your target is really low and needs to be topped off, like when you are healing the ghosts in Gorefiends stomach or to get rid of the "heal to 90%"-debuffs. But often enough you actually just want to heal someone for what your heal does and your crit is just overhealing in the end. Divine Aegis prevents that completely.

2) There is a mechanic that does what you described above somewhat, being the disc priests mastery. It increases your heals for a certain amount and your absorbs by twice as much, so in the end your shield is stronger than what you would have healed for.

3) Using the guaranteed crit from Enhanced Archangel you can shield large groups of maybe not even damaged allies with a divine aegis using Prayer of Healing.

On first reading the passive I also thought that this is pretty much bullshit, but after playing for a while with the spec I am actually quite happy to have it.

I hope that helped

• Like 1

Hi, 

I play the spec, but only for the about two months, that I am playing the game now, so there might be misconceptions in here.

1) Critting might seem bad if your target is really low and needs to be topped off, like when you are healing the ghosts in Gorefiends stomach or to get rid of the "heal to 90%"-debuffs. But often enough you actually just want to heal someone for what your heal does and your crit is just overhealing in the end. Divine Aegis prevents that completely.

2) There is a mechanic that does what you described above somewhat, being the disc priests mastery. It increases your heals for a certain amount and your absorbs by twice as much, so in the end your shield is stronger than what you would have healed for.

3) Using the guaranteed crit from Enhanced Archangel you can shield large groups of maybe not even damaged allies with a divine aegis using Prayer of Healing.

On first reading the passive I also thought that this is pretty much bullshit, but after playing for a while with the spec I am actually quite happy to have it.

I hope that helped

Thanks for the reply. 

As an after thought, just got Proven Healer as disc priest. After miserably failing to do so as resto druid and holy priest. Say what you will about them, but discipline's absorbs sure come nice when you need to heal a trashy tank :p 

Clarity of Purpose is a true MVP though, stacking almost as much absorption as that tank has HP.

You mean Clarity of Will? :D Clarity of Purpose is the holy version that nobody really uses because it's crap... like most of the stuff holy gets! 

You mean Clarity of Will? biggrin.png Clarity of Purpose is the holy version that nobody really uses because it's crap... like most of the stuff holy gets! 

Yeah, I mean the Will. I play on russian client, it's easy to confuse ability names for Priest. Serindipity of Power Word: Mending and all that.