FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Agamemnon

Frost now...When to switch to Fire/Arcane?

First time poster, and a fairly new mage (been a warrior since beta > Cata) to MoP.

I've been leveling Frost of course and it's definitely fun. I have finally started heroic 5 mans and was thinking, isn't Fire and Arcane suppose to be better these days?

Question is, when is the right time to start switching specs? With 5.2 around the corner, what direction should I be making to increase my DPS and be ready for LFR?

I've been leveling Frost of course and it's definitely fun. I have finally started heroic 5 mans and was thinking, isn't Fire and Arcane suppose to be better these days?

At the moment Arcane is the best spec for single target dps. Fire needs a lot of Crit gear to work well so maybe it is not the best choice if you are still in blues and greens. Frost has good mobility and control, should work well when doing those endless dailies.

Question is, when is the right time to start switching specs? With 5.2 around the corner, what direction should I be making to increase my DPS and be ready for LFR?

If I were you I probably stayed Frost, because Dungeons and LFR won't require much. You don't have the time to get ilvl 500+ gear and 31%+ Crit for Fire before 5.2 is out. Arcane will change a lot in 5.2 and when they make big changes there is always the chance that it destroys the spec. Ask about specs again when we see what 5.2 did to them.

At the moment Arcane is the best spec for single target dps. Fire needs a lot of Crit gear to work well so maybe it is not the best choice if you are still in blues and greens. Frost has good mobility and control, should work well when doing those endless dailies.

If I were you I probably stayed Frost, because Dungeons and LFR won't require much. You don't have the time to get ilvl 500+ gear and 31%+ Crit for Fire before 5.2 is out. Arcane will change a lot in 5.2 and when they make big changes there is always the chance that it destroys the spec. Ask about specs again when we see what 5.2 did to them.

Thank you for the quick reply! I've decided to stick with Frost with Frost Bomb (my dps with Nether Tempest wasn't doing better and I had a hard time getting use to keeping the DoT up).

Would you guys still recommend Invocation > Ring of Power?

I'd recommend Invocation for Frost indeed. Unless you are going to tackle Heroic content with that character, you should just play whichever spec you like (which seems to be Frost). It is currently doing very competitive DPS, especially in fights that require you to frequently move a bit, because you can plan a bit ahead of time and keep charges of Fingers of Frost or Brain Freeze for when you need to move.

I'd recommend Invocation for Frost indeed. Unless you are going to tackle Heroic content with that character, you should just play whichever spec you like (which seems to be Frost). It is currently doing very competitive DPS, especially in fights that require you to frequently move a bit, because you can plan a bit ahead of time and keep charges of Fingers of Frost or Brain Freeze for when you need to move.

Good point. Not going to lie, I tried Arcane for a couple Heroic 5 mans last night. Trash just seemed hard to do a lot of DPS with it (seems like I'm missing something there). Bosses, I'm either having issues with the rotation (I tried the non scorch weaving method and used the ARcane barrage style) or I just am not geared enough to do a lot of consistent damage. Frost seems to be more controlled and I have a lot of outs if I pull aggro on trash pulls vs arcane.

Good point. Not going to lie, I tried Arcane for a couple Heroic 5 mans last night. Trash just seemed hard to do a lot of DPS with it (seems like I'm missing something there). Bosses, I'm either having issues with the rotation (I tried the non scorch weaving method and used the ARcane barrage style) or I just am not geared enough to do a lot of consistent damage. Frost seems to be more controlled and I have a lot of outs if I pull aggro on trash pulls vs arcane.

The kiting abilities of a Frost Mage are almost unparalleled :P