FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Dantron

Upgrade or Horde

Just wondering if people think I should spend the last few weeks before patch upgrading gear or saving my valour for the new gear available in 5.2. I had planned on upgrading but since they are not going to convert valour to justice I'm not sure what to do. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Keeping Valor for the 5.2 release is actually going to be a major waste. When the patch is applied ALL valor will be converted to justice. Justice over the 4k cap will be converted to money.

So the answer there is simple, spend every valor point you can.

Edited by NightShade

Keeping Valor for the 5.2 release is actually going to be a major waste. When the patch is applied ALL valor will be converted to justice. Justice over the 4k cap will be converted to money.

So the answer there is simple, spend every valor point you can.

This is no longer true: we are allowed to keep our valor in the next tier, the PvP currencies will still be converted.

5.2 Update: You Can Keep Your Valor!

After reading your feedback and locking ourselves in dim, fluorescent-lit rooms for much deliberation, we have decided that we are NOT going to convert Valor to Justice and Justice to gold when 5.2 ships. Current Valor items will continue to require Valor in 5.2, and will be offered at a discount as listed in the PTR patch notes. Given that PvE and PvP currencies function quite a bit differently, Conquest will still convert to Honor and Honor to gold as previously discussed.

We’re making the Valor change for a couple of reasons, but primarily because we think a down-conversion under the new Mists endgame progression model just feels mean. We traditionally viewed this conversion process with each patch as a necessary evil to discourage hoarding—it’s not fun to feel like you can’t spend your Valor in the weeks before a new patch because you have to be ready to buy everything up. However, we have a Valor cap now to prevent excessive hoarding, many of the Valor rewards in 5.2 require raiding to acquire (for example, many of the ilevel-522 rewards are tied to Shado-Pan Assault reputation, which you’ll only gain rep with by raiding in the Throne of Thunder), and the LFR version has an ilvl-480 requirement, meaning you can’t hoard Valor on a brand new 90 and jump straight to the best stuff. All of these factors being considered, it doesn’t make good sense to take Valor away from players in this context. Down-conversions may occur for future patch releases depending on the circumstances, but for 5.2 it’s safe and snuggly where it is.

In addition, we’re making a change to ensure that there are some gear rewards available via the Kirin Tor Offensive and Sunreaver Onslaught, the two new factions with which players can earn reputation in 5.2 without raiding. The patch was shaping up to be a real challenge for players who don’t like raiding (including LFR), as our original design meant that no new Valor rewards would be available to them without needing to run Throne of Thunder. You can expect to see the Valor rewards on the Kirin Tor Offensive and Sunreaver Onslaught quartermasters updated on the 5.2 public test realms in the near future. These rewards are ilevel 496 and will only accommodate a few slots, as they aren’t intended to be very attractive to raiders (including those running LFR), but should give non-raiders something to shoot for in 5.2.

If you’ve already made plans and sunk your Valor, don’t fret! As of this announcement, and even if you have 0 Valor currently, you still have enough time to cap out at 3000 Valor before patch 5.2 goes live. (It’s math!)

We’d love to hear your feedback about this change, and how you’re planning to earn, save, and spend Valor before the patch releases.

(source)

Personally I haven't been hitting the valor cap for a couple of weeks now, I'm using my VP to upgrade while I can. I think I'll get enough VP to get the reputation upgrades I need in my first 2-3 weeks. Once I replace all my gear with upgrades from either raids or VP (which aren't that many) I'll have no mor use for VP and the hording will just go to waste.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think having valour ready to go for 5.2 makes sense, those 522 pieces sure are tempting. I can probably sneak in one more upgrade and still cap valour so I think that is what I will aim for.

News to me Blizz needs to make a decision and stick with it. And they make make a change next week. But either way if you don't have 480Ilvl average or better you still might as well spend it.

News to me Blizz needs to make a decision and stick with it. And they make make a change next week. But either way if you don't have 480Ilvl average or better you still might as well spend it.

While still maintaining 3k vp going into 5.2 since you can buy the neutral neck right away for 1250 vp which is 522 -- better than any upgrade you can buy pre 5.2.

Edited by Tehstool

what else is available immediately when 5.2 hits?

a way to determine what to do with my vp

A list of all the new items purchasable with VP coming in patch 5.2.0

Besides the necks they all require a certain amount of reputation with the new faction coming in patch 5.2 as follows:

Neutral: necks

Friendly: rings, trinkets, wrists

Honored: capes, hands, legs

Revered: chests, waists

• Like 1

It might be worth mentioning that for players like me who don't have a solid raiding guild that you'll likely be stuck with only getting the neck right away. Until LFR is released and we know how much rep we'll get from doing it, people that can't get into a normal raid will be stuck with a lot of valor they can't use if they hoarded it. If the current rep gear is still an upgrade though it might be worth saving VP until 5.2 since their costs will be reduced.

I'm personally going to just make sure I've got enough VP at release for my neck and upgrade my weaps/trinks in the meantime.